Robert Saleh is Pro Football Talk's Coach of the Week *** Trigger Warning ***

MykePM

He had a good day coaching. he was the coach of the week, not of the season or of all time. I thought he coached a hell of a game. It doesn't mean he is a good or great coach, but that he coached well that week. I hope it translates to him improving - flashes of good coaching is a great sign and shows potential, nothing more.

Every piece of information is treated here as an indictment about some narrative. if it backs your narrative it is the 'truth', and if not, it is a joke and we find all of the times it didn't pan out. Very exhausting...

He coached a good game with a lot of young talent. Good for him. Let's let him have his accolade and move on.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I enjoy PFT on the occasional times I read it and I'm fine with Florio.  I just think these types of awards are a bit silly.  Was it really Saleh's coaching that won him the award?  Or was it the fact that the Jets won in an exciting comeback in ZW's debut so "let's put a spotlight on them"?

Exactly.  Wins are on the players, losses are on the coaches.  
Saleh sucks when we lose, indifferent when we win.  
 ?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly.  Wins are on the players, losses are on the coaches.  
Saleh sucks when we lose, indifferent when we win.  
 ?

You're misinterpreting what I wrote.  I think it's a feel-good award to spotlight a team that just had a big win.

Personally, I think a coach who lost a game can still have done the best job of the week.  For example, BB getting the game to OT against the Packers (in GB against Aaron Rodgers) with Hoyer/Zappe as his QBs.  That was far more impressive to me.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You're misinterpreting what I wrote.  I think it's a feel-good award to spotlight a team that just had a big win.

Personally, I think a coach who lost a game can still have done the best job of the week.  For example, BB getting the game to OT against the Packers (in GB against Aaron Rodgers) with Hoyer/Zappe as his QBs.  That was far more impressive to me.

This is a fair point.  BB being a 'great' coach with Brady as his QB isn't really impressive to me.  It's what the Patriots do without Brady (always being at least a 'good' team) that paints BB as a good coach.  Thank god he's a sh*t GM.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Larz said:

When the schedule came out the general idea was 1-8 to start so 2-2 should get a little love  

Fair.

Many here thought 6-7 was a realistic goal so although there is alot of football left - there is a good possibility they achieve that.

Continue to have the QB grow. Add in the rookies and also have the coaching staff grow throughout the year and the future is as bright as many if not all of us can remember. 

• Upvote 1

COTW is nice. 

But win any way you can against the Dolphins...can be the signature W that catapults this team on an unexpected run.  IMO a signature win needs to happen against an AFCE opponent.  No better opportunity then this upcoming game at home against a hated rival like the Fins. 

This is a young team that lacks experience.  And confidence can go in either direction over one or two crucial wins or crushing losses. 

Win on Sunday can make this young team true believers.  In Saleh-CS and their QB.  Cause them to start winning games no one expected them to do.  Maybe it fizzles after a run of wins.  Pressure to keep that up could cause that fizzle to a young team.  But it would show the talent and promise this team has.  Another offseason-draft...and it's playoffs..

IMO that feeling...that run...needs to come off of signature wins against the Fins and Pats.   And if Jets can't beat the Bills yet.  At least give them a taste of Hell.  That Jets are coming for them and the division in 2023.

Jets vs Dolphins...just win baby.    

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

COTW is nice. 

But win any way you can against the Dolphins...can be the signature W that catapults this team on an unexpected run.  IMO a signature win needs to happen against an AFCE opponent.  No better opportunity then this upcoming game at home against a hated rival like the Fins. 

This is a young team that lacks experience.  And confidence can go in either direction over one or two crucial wins or crushing losses. 

Win on Sunday can make this young team true believers.  In Saleh-CS and their QB.  Cause them to start winning games no one expected them to do.  Maybe it fizzles after a run of wins.  Pressure to keep that up could cause that fizzle to a young team.  But it would show the talent and promise this team has.  Another offseason-draft...and it's playoffs..

IMO that feeling...that run...needs to come off of signature wins against the Fins and Pats.   And if Jets can't beat the Bills yet.  At least give them a taste of Hell.  That Jets are coming for them and the division in 2023.

Jets vs Dolphins...just win baby. 

It would also be our first win against an AFCE opponent in (I think) 3 years.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Macc NFL Exec of the Year

Saleh Coach of the week

Just need Mims to get a Diet Cherry Pepsi Max Big Gulp player of the week to complete the holy trinity

I'd include Geno Smith's AFC Player of the Week in 2013 in this but he's been balling out lately.  Gotta leave him alone for now.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd include Geno Smith's AFC Player of the Week in 2013 in this but he's been balling out lately.  Gotta leave him alone for now.

Geno Smith never wastes an opportunity to waste an opportunity. He'll **** it up you can bet on that.

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, jetstream23 said:

It seems that we’ve moved from the “Can’t they just win some games,” to “Yeah, they’re winning, but I’m not happy about HOW they’re winning” phase of JN evolution here.

Just wanted to say that I'm perfectly fine with HOW they won today.  In fact, it was nice to win a game where the QB didn't need to do anything but be average and take care of the football.

Being persistent with the rush, continuing to hammer the football on the ground even when that wasn't working early, paid off.  Miami has a pretty good run D and the Jets found some success today.  It's a really, really positive sign that the Jets can potentially win games in a variety of ways.