Week 5 vs MIA; the cynics thread

Paradis

Agree with write up.  Stupid mistakes/penalties will cost us.

Don’t know Miami’s strength & weaknesses cuz I don’t care about them.  Hope Brown can play, should provide OL with some help.  DL needs to show up and Zach needs to stay strong in the pocket like he did in the 4th quarter.  Should be a better game for him.

Don’t let the WRs passed the safeties and we’ll have a better shot than people think.  DL MUST APPLY PRESSURE.  If Teddy starts ripping us apart like Brissett did because he has 5 hours to throw, we will lose.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

you want a complete game. i think we are not there yet.

I'll take 2 quarters of looking like a decent football team on Sunday.   Our 2 wins to date have come from, basically, 2.5 quarters of strong play.  Playing HALF of a "complete game" would be progress.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

you want a complete game. i think we are not there yet.

Should be achievable… week to week, consistently? No, probably not. But every team puts a game together now and then. The jets have struggled mightily in that department in the last decade. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll take 2 quarters of looking like a decent football team on Sunday.   Our 2 wins to date have come from, basically, 2.5 quarters of strong play.  Playing HALF of a "complete game" would be progress.

Pitt was half a game. We scored 10 points in the 1st qtr and were ahead, and scored 14 and played well in the 4th qtr. We also played to a 17-17 tie till the 4th qtr in Cleveland and then fell behind by 2 scores against the absolute best running game in the NFL and that was due to getting tired in the 4th qtr, then won in the end with 2 final drives even if one was off an onside kick. We played well most of that Brown’s game.

Oline has to come and play and we need the coaches to rely on our CBs to if not take out but at ;east limit waddle and hill.

Also I think if we smack Bridgewater a few times early his play will deteriorate.

We must get out to at least a decent start, we cannot get down by 10-14 early.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let's hope they meet or exceed your lofty expectations ?

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not worried about style points.  Just find ways to win games.

Most NFL games ebb and flow.  You have stretches where you have the better play and stretches where the other team has the better of the play.  Keep games close in the 4th quarter and make more plays than the other team to win.  This dream of a perfect 60 minute game does not exist, at least not for a team like us.  I will be very happy if we find 8 or 9 imperfect wins this year.

We are 2-2.  I am happy with that.  Not convinced that we are a good team.  Not convnced Zach is a good QB.  But maybe, just maybe, both can be average.  Which is way better than we have been in recent years.

#LoweredExpectations?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I prefer to think of it as realistic.  We are not the Bills, or the Chiefs.  We have won 6 games last two years.  I would love to see us win 12+ games, but I don't think its realistic.  There is a lot of room between elite and suck.  Win half our games heading into December, catch a couple of breaks down the stretch and maybe steal a wild card. Then next year is the one for the high expectations.

you've come to the right thread. 

What i'm steering towards, isn't fame and glory yet. I'm just looking for signs of intent... or more of it, anyway. Particularly at Coaching and QB levels. Pitt is well coach, but the roster has eroded. That's not a murky assessment, just a testament to where the issue is. Saleh & co haven't been able to provide the same clarity. 

I'd be bet Tom Shane's good looks that MIA will look to take away those 2 easy reads from Zach. Let's see some throws out of that box. See where it goes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Miami is going to be our first real test. I don't think Teddy is much of a step down from Tua. So far we have faced:

Lamar in bad weather

Backup QB

Burrow but couldn't get pressure

Backup QB/Rookie

I'm happy to be 2-2 but we need to bring it this week.

Smart, experienced QB with good (but not great) talent.

Smart, up-and-coming HC who knows the Jets coaching staff extremely well.

Pockets of talent including Tyreek Hill.

Great test for the Jets.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree with most of your original post.  Especially your point about Zach & the CS.  Almost every big throw he had against Pitt was a fastball.  Whenever he has had to throw with touch, he struggles.  I think this is why he struggles so much with short passes at or behind the ine of scrimmage -- you have to have some touch on those.  If he is ever going to be anything better than a meh QB, he has to throw with touch.  

I would love to see him throw with touch outside the numbers on Sunday.  I would love to see our coaches dictate a game plan.  It was your last point that I disagreed with.  There are very few teams capable of dictating play for 60 minutes.  I don't think we are at that level, but I hope we get there.

Lol it’s the “shoot for 60, settle for 30” mantra 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Almost every big throw he had against Pitt was a fastball.  Whenever he has had to throw with touch, he struggles.  I think this is why he struggles so much with short passes at or behind the ine of scrimmage -- you have to have some touch on those.  If he is ever going to be anything better than a meh QB, he has to throw with touch.  

Always Sunny Troll GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lol it’s the “shoot for 60, settle for 30” mantra 

You forgot the W.  shoot for 60, settle for 30 and a W. 

My teams gave me two wins last week wtih a solid 15 minutes each.  So it was more like shoot for 120, settle for 30 and 2 Ws.

• Haha 2