Week 5 vs MIA; the cynics thread

Paradis

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I think I’d just stop right about there.

I’m not asking for anything more than a W this weekend. Don’t care how they do it.  

i understand the sentiment, but that's short term gratification. I think when our team has demonstrated more consistency/resiliency, I can swallow that easier... right now, I'm wanting to see one week's success parlay into the next. Building blocks. Something we an aspire to replicate... Not "phew"... 

• Upvote 2

I'd like to see:

• Less Penalties/Easy Drops/Grounded five yard passes/Unforced Errors.
  • I'd like to see Zach raise his completion percentage considerably.  50% won't cut it.
  • I'd like to see a continued push on the ground.  That is the biggest help for Zach and this beat up O-line, an effective run game.  We have the horses.
  • I'd like to see a more consistent effort (wouldn't we all).  Get an early lead, hold a lead, win.
  • I'd like to see the D keep the two great WR's in check.  If we're gonna get beat, someone else should beat us.
  • I'd really like to see more pass rush pressure.  Lawson needs to start getting sacks.
  • Zach build on his 4th quarter this week.

With that said, this will be a very tough game against a (IMO) Better team on paper, but stuck with their backup QB.  So who knows.

I just want to see our Jets control what they can control.  The penalties and drops and bad short passes all fall into that category.

And of course, above all else, just win baby!  Squish the Fish.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I feel like that would be a game where Breece Hall puts up huge numbers, and we keep the other team's offense off the field. 

And for that to happen...

The OL needs to put the same five on the field several games in a row.  To get into sync and develop zone blocking continuity for the run game.  Opening up some holes to allow Breece into that 2nd level...and then he'll explode some big plays.  Forcing opposing defenses to creep 8 into the box.  Then play action to those playmakers for big chunk plays.  Do all that and Jets offense will have control of the game.  

The key to Jets beating Dolphins is playing well at the LOS.  Establish enough of a run attack to make the defense respect play action.  And give Zach 2.4 secs in the pocket to make his throws.   And Jets DL has to go after Teddy like he just molested their women.  Kill him!

I expect this game to be a donnybrook.   

Just win baby!  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Foreword: I want to be excited. Objective here isn't find a way around that.  

So while many of you have gone through a box of Kleenex this week, here's a list of things i would like to see against MIA to inflate comfort levels from "marginal at best" into "an El Camino with new paint".

1. Getting a W that isn't a result of broken plays/onside kicks, 4th quarter dramatics; including (but not limited to) opposing QBs handing out interceptions.
  2. Showing up with a gameplan -- one that is put in motion in the first half of the game. So... a "plan" 
  3. Zack doing more than throwing slants vs Man, and Posts vs Zone... let's see some timing routes, outside throws, fades, etc
  4. re-read point 3...  DC will already be scheming with that in mind.
  5. Need more production from the LOS... runs, screens, bubbles, reverses -- that stuff is supposed to be the Flower's butter.
  6.  And god help us if can't dictate the pace of a game for 4 quarters.. [I'll even take 3]... Time of possession, play with lead, make the opponent uncomfortable.. you know, winner stuff. 

This is the way,

I'm sure we'd all like to see a complete game from our favorite Football team, lmfao.  but I'm kind of confused by the presentation.  Are you saying you want to see these things because, you havent?

1. I dont think the Jets got lucky vs. the Steelers, they had a half time lead, lost it and went out and earned the chance to get it back.  They were the better team for 3 quarters on Sunday.  

2. The Jets clearly had a plan on Sunday and executed it very well.  It should have been at least, 13-3 at the half, had to have a pretty good plan for those results, no? 

3. He threw to sidelines, hit a nice one to Moore, missed a wheel route, had nice one to Corey that he didnt come down with, but what does it matter?  If they're giving him slants and posts and they're there, take'em.  That's life.  Why force sh*t just because some fan wants to see it?    Take what the D is giving you, win the game.  The mark of a great QB.

4.  okay...?

5.  With all the moving pieces, pretty hard to ask guys playing out of position or who just got here to do stuff they maybe never done before, no?   Besides, is there anyone in the NFL that is 100% happy with their OL play right now?  Doubt it but maybe, I think it's week 4 and teams are still getting better and the Jets are a revolving door right now but yeah, sure, everyone wants to dominate the LOS.

6. And another one, does anyone do this in the NFL?  Other than the Eagles right now, who is going out and dominating 4 quarters of Football?  This isnt college, that sh*t dont happen in the NFL.  It's a war of attrition, last man standing, in a league of parody, nobody dominates 4 quarters of Football. 

• Upvote 2

I think we blow out the Dolphins. They won't be able to put the kind of pressure on Zack that they need too. With that banged up secondary. More than one Jet receiver is going to have a big game. Well be able to run the ball well enough to keep the already weak pass rush in check. JETS 34-13.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I feel like that would be a game where Breece Hall puts up huge numbers, and we keep the other team's offense off the field. 

Nothing would make me happier than seeing a 150+ yard ground game where we pound the Phish into submission. They know we're going to run it, we run it, and they can't stop it.

I'm not expecting to see it, but it would really bode well for the future. Main issues will be OL getting a push (and not being thrown aside / bull rushed backwards straight off the snap) and not falling behind early.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I'm sure we'd all like to see a complete game from our favorite Football team, lmfao.  but I'm kind of confused by the presentation.  Are you saying you want to see these things because, you havent?

1. I dont think the Jets got lucky vs. the Steelers, they had a half time lead, lost it and went out and earned the chance to get it back.  They were the better team for 3 quarters on Sunday.  

2. The Jets clearly had a plan on Sunday and executed it very well.  It should have been at least, 13-3 at the half, had to have a pretty good plan for those results, no? 

3. He threw to sidelines, hit a nice one to Moore, missed a wheel route, had nice one to Corey that he didnt come down with, but what does it matter?  If they're giving him slants and posts and they're there, take'em.  That's life.  Why force sh*t just because some fan wants to see it?    Take what the D is giving you, win the game.  The mark of a great QB.

4.  okay...?

5.  With all the moving pieces, pretty hard to ask guys playing out of position or who just got here to do stuff they maybe never done before, no?   Besides, is there anyone in the NFL that is 100% happy with their OL play right now?  Doubt it but maybe, I think it's week 4 and teams are still getting better and the Jets are a revolving door right now but yeah, sure, everyone wants to dominate the LOS.

6. And another one, does anyone do this in the NFL?  Other than the Eagles right now, who is going out and dominating 4 quarters of Football?  This isnt college, that sh*t dont happen in the NFL.  It's a war of attrition, last man standing, in a league of parody, nobody dominates 4 quarters of Football. 

All fair points, especially the last one. There's far more parity in the league than there was even ten years ago. Is it me, or does it seem that injuries are more prevalent as well? Not to mention overall less consistent play by virtually any team. Perhaps a product of briefer pre-season prep. And maybe the injuries as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

4.  okay...?

If Wack-a-milf Wilson doesn’t throw that goofy interception late in the first half  and Lawson doesn’t roid rage a dumb penalty that game  is as good as it needs to be. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets should absolutely win this game. Their vibes have never been better, Zach should have some confidence, they get Duane Brown back, and they’re playing at home. If Saleh’s vision is ever going to be realized, this is the week for it. The Dolphins have all kinds of injury issues, and they’re loaded down with drama from the Tua thing. Ben Solak had a good observation this week: that the one thing the McVay Coaching Tree coaches are consistently good at it is coaching against McVay offensive tendencies. McDaniel may be a genius, but he’s not going to just throw his system away this week to avoid giving Saleh an advantage. On the flip side, the Dolphins defense is supposed to be a bad matchup for Zach Wilson because they play a lot of man to man/Cover One, which Wilson sucked against both last year and against the Steelers. 

Yeah, I was surprised Pittsburg played so much cover 2 in the 4th. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Pitt was half a game. We scored 10 points in the 1st qtr and were ahead, and scored 14 and played well in the 4th qtr. We also played to a 17-17 tie till the 4th qtr in Cleveland and then fell behind by 2 scores against the absolute best running game in the NFL and that was due to getting tired in the 4th qtr, then won in the end with 2 final drives even if one was off an onside kick. We played well most of that Brown’s game.

Cmon.  We allowed Jacoby Brissett to move the ball all day.  That wasn’t a good game until the final 2 minutes and no one would have said as much without the miracle finish.

I was being generous by saying 2.5 quarters of good play.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think I’d just stop right about there.

I’m not asking for anything more than a W this weekend. Don’t care how they do it.  Offense, defense, special teams, low-scoring game, high-scoring game, trick plays, whatever.  Just find a way.

Sure, but if we do NOT win this game I’d like to at least see a competitive loss.  It seems like every loss in the Saleh regime (and the Gase regime for that matter) has been a blowout.  

And it’s of particular importance we play well in a divisional game at home, given our 12-game losing streak in divisional games.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

Foreword: I want to be excited. Objective here isn't find a way around that.  

So while many of you have gone through a box of Kleenex this week, here's a list of things i would like to see against MIA to inflate comfort levels from "marginal at best" into "an El Camino with new paint".

1. Getting a W that isn't a result of broken plays/onside kicks, 4th quarter dramatics; including (but not limited to) opposing QBs handing out interceptions.
  2. Showing up with a gameplan -- one that is put in motion in the first half of the game. So... a "plan" 
  3. Zack doing more than throwing slants vs Man, and Posts vs Zone... let's see some timing routes, outside throws, fades, etc
  4. re-read point 3...  DC will already be scheming with that in mind.
  5. Need more production from the LOS... runs, screens, bubbles, reverses -- that stuff is supposed to be the Flower's butter.
  6.  And god help us if can't dictate the pace of a game for 4 quarters.. [I'll even take 3]... Time of possession, play with lead, make the opponent uncomfortable.. you know, winner stuff. 

This is the way,

^This.                ^This.                   ^This!          ^This

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

i understand the sentiment, but that's short term gratification. I think when our team has demonstrated more consistency/resiliency, I can swallow that easier... right now, I'm wanting to see one week's success parlay into the next. Building blocks. Something we an aspire to replicate... Not "phew"... 

Agreed, but I'll be fine to carry some of those 'phews' along the way.  Most winning teams do BTW. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Crusher said:

We are going to get disemboweled by the Bridgewater led Dolphins. Doesn’t change the fact that was Zach Milfsons first game  back after being a horror show last year. Dude still Blows before halftime but he doesn’t  realize it yet. None of you assholes tell him! Ok? 

F-U @T0mShane.  Identity theft is a crime.

• Haha 2

Consistent pass rush pressure, generated by the 4 up front, is the key for me.  I like our corners, but there's no one on earth who can follow around Hill, let alone Hill AND Waddle, for 7 seconds without one of them getting open for some bunny completions.

We need Lawson to pick up on where he left off in the Steeler game after his miserable start, and for Jermaine to keep coming on.  Hopefully Bryce Huff earned another look and brings more energy.

As we saw in the Bengals game, relying on this team to bring its A-game pass rush is a fool's errand.  This tops my cynicism list for the week.

• Upvote 1

Moore is getting open repeatedly but the OLine isn't giving the QB time to reach him.  Fix this and I think this offense completely changes.  Right now, teams can attack the running game because they don't have to worry about covering deep WRs (except when they decide to leave Corey Davis all alone out there).  Change that one thing, and everything else changes.

Add to this that MIA may be without Xavien Howard, and it's even more critical to open up that part of the field where one of Moore, Davis or Wilson are going to be open nearly every play.

I'm actually not as worried about the defense.  MIA doesn't really have much of a running game either ( 3.5YPR, 69.3YPG) and Waddle is Q, so we really only have to contain one guy.  

Having said that, things can go all kinds of wrong and in the NYJ-MIA history, it usually does for one team.  But it would be really nice if we came out of this with a win.  Not just a squeaky win, but a solid, double-digit win.  Sorry if this breaks the mood in the cynics thread, but this really is the week where the Jets get to dictate whether they are a contender or a pretender.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

It’s a crime against humanity of how small  Halloween candy has become. I’m old enough to remember when Snicker bars were big enough you could bonk your cousin over the head with it when he tried to take it out of your Halloween stash and then eat it in from of him taking luscious bite after bite as his eye sight slowly came back into focus. 

image.png

image.png

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, The Crusher said:

It’s a crime against humanity of how small  Halloween candy has become. I’m old enough to remember when Snicker bars were big enough you could bonk your cousin over the head with it when he tried to take it out of your Halloween stash and then eat it in from of him taking luscious bite after bite as his eye sight slowly came back into focus. 

I'm amazed the product size reduction has been here for at least 10-15 years and no end in sight.  I mean, eventually size reduction has to stop for each product, right?  I don't care how long your in the cold water pool... shrinkage has to stop at some point...  amirite?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, fullblast said:

My humble ask is the same as every week; if you insist on playing from behind, just try to keep the deficit within single digits for the majority of the afternoon.

I've been bored during every game so far, whether it be getting smoked by Baltimore or Cincinnati or because the game looked over and we couldn't do anything in our comeback wins. I just want to be entertained

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

All fair points, especially the last one. There's far more parity in the league than there was even ten years ago. Is it me, or does it seem that injuries are more prevalent as well? Not to mention overall less consistent play by virtually any team. Perhaps a product of briefer pre-season prep. And maybe the injuries as well.

For sure, I think there are a lot of factors and you nailed one of them.  The game is faster than it's ever been therefore the athletes are more high twitch across the field so you have a bunch of lean, low body fat types that I think are a little more injury prone, especially from a non-contact perspective, they play more games, they have less rest with TNF, MNF and SNF and then eventually Saturday games, the camps, I could go on...but w/ all that said, I think that's why you see ugly Football during the 1st quarter of the NFL.  Teams start putting it together and get better as the season goes on.  Perfect example is  Green Bay seemingly ever year.  Or more close to home, look at the Jets OL last year.  Looked to be terrible at the beginning of the season and was by far the best unit on the team at the end of the year. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Our block is highly inconsistent with trick or treaters, 2 years ago, we had like 10 kids.  So we thought we'd step up the game, get full candy bars and wtf happens?  Suddenly we get like 50 kids, most of any year, granted we do have a young adult neighborhood w/ a lot of growing families but still, of course that happens and we run out, had to borrow some from the neighbors.  But now we've set a precedent.  I'm out surfing the other day, see one of my neighbors in the line up and he's like, "dude, my kids are already talking about how they cant wait to go to the house on the corner w/ the big dogs that gives out full candy bars".  lmfao

• Haha 1