“Time after time, Zach Wilson shows off his enormous Talent - Baldy’s Breakdowns

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Baldinger is one of the few analysts who speaks positively on the Jets, rather than trying to dunk on us.  He even did so in Becton's rookie year when we really were in the dumps.  

I do love Baldingers short player pumps but he does do it for a lot of teams and players - not just the Jets. All positive!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

If you look at all the throws, the one thing that wasn't entitled is Zach got rid of the ball fast. That helped the OL big time. I hope Zach notices this. There were some plays he held the ball longer and those need to go away. I love that he fixed this about his play 

• Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

If you look at all the throws, the one thing that wasn't entitled is Zach got rid of the ball fast. That helped the OL big time. I hope Zach notices this. There were some plays he held the ball longer and those need to go away. I love that he fixed this about his play 

You better believe he realizes that.  He’s also very smart.

Some of the plays I enjoyed seeing last Sunday included him leaving the pocket and tossing it out of bounds when he saw there was nothing there and the play was busted.  Last year when he first entered the league that was a recipe for disaster as he felt he had to be Superman EVERY play and lift all the garbage surrounding him up all at once.

Damn from that overhead view you can really notice zachs arm talent, I now understand  sims when he says:

“zachs arm talent really pops off the screen, I’m looking like wow the ball just shot out his hand with that much velocity with just a flick of the wrist and it’s a 40 yard laser” 

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Before this game, his talent was largely hypothetical to me, at least how it would translate to the pro game. He demonstrated in this game that it’s real and that it does translate. However, the primary success factor for QBs is consistency. That is the big question that remains unanswered and I hope he stays healthy and can answer it by season’s end.

I would argue that you definitely saw the talent flash in the Tennessee and Tampa games last year, but as you say, it is all about consistency. A lot of bad QBs have had good moments and good individual games. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

This can’t be right, he’s no more than a High School QB apparently 

Check out all my former posts on ZW.  I Always say he's got it in the arm and in the legs.  Ask any milf and they'll tell you he's got it elsewhere also.

His problems have been all mental.  AND.... I did not see enough if any improvement last season,'

Let's go over it again.

1. When he improvises, he often messes up.   If you cant set and you know it, don't throw the ball because you know it wont go where you wish it would.  We have seen that too many times.

2. If you have a nice pocket, don't bail out on it and start running around.  Step up, set clean and throw.  You have the arm strength to thread the needle if you are set.  If there are no clear targets, throw it away. But... He don't do it.

3. Your passing plays are timing plays that should, in a perfect world go to the first read.  Don't depend on a perfect world and then start running like a turkey on November 24th if it aint there.  Use your head BEFORE you get the football in your hands.  What to do with my arm and the ball if my blue chip aint there ??? Besides running that is.  I don't see indications that he has multiple options in mind if the first one aint there.  Especially if he has a pocket. 

A good NFL QB starts throwing the ball to three places in his mind before the ball gets into his hands.

ZW has looked more like a college passer that aims the ball after the snap as opposed to an NFL caliber QB that executes the best option he had in mind before the play started. 

That is ALLL mental.  All of it.  Not just study work and learning to go through a progression,  It is a mindset too. 

Thus far, I don't see it happening.  Sure,  the flashes of great arm talent, but I need to see the NFL QB mindset on every single play.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Before this game, his talent was largely hypothetical to me, at least how it would translate to the pro game. He demonstrated in this game that it’s real and that it does translate. However, the primary success factor for QBs is consistency. That is the big question that remains unanswered and I hope he stays healthy and can answer it by season’s end.

did you not see flashes of this last year?

or was the 4th quarter the best you have seen him play (best quarter that is)

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Check out all my former posts on ZW.  I Always say he's got in in the arm and in the legs.  Ask any milf and they'll tell you he's got it elsewhere also.

His problems have been all mental.  AND.... I did not see enough if any improvement last season,'

Let's go over it again.

1. When he improvises, he often messes up.   If you cant set and you know it, don't throw the ball because you know it wont go where you wish it would.  We have seen that too many times.

2. If you have a nice pocket, don't bail out on it and start running around.  Step up, set clean and throw.  You have the arm strength to thread the needle if you are set.  If there are no clear targets, throw it away. But... He don't do it.

3. Your passing plays are timing plays that should, in a perfect world go to the first read.  Don't depend on a perfect world and then start running like a turkey on November 24th if it aint there.  Use your head BEFORE you get the football in your hands.  What to do with my arm and the ball if my blue chip aint there ??? Besides running that is.  I don't see indications that he has multiple options in mind if the first one aint there.  Especially if he has a pocket. 

A good NFL QB starts throwing the ball to three places in his mind before the ball gets into his hands.

ZW has looked more like a college passer that aims the ball after the snap as opposed to an NFL caliber QB that executes the best option he had in mind before the play started. 

That is ALLL mental.  All of it.  Not just study work and learning to go through a progression,  It is a mindset too. 

Thus far, I don't see it happening.  Sure,  the flashes of great arm talent, but I need to see the NFL QB mindset on every single play.  

how many "good NFL QB" are there in your mind?

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We’ve reached the point in the narrative arc where 50%/252 yards/ 2 INTs/1 TD against Steelers backups is just superb quarterbacking. 

I mean, he was superb in the 4th quarter, which is all people are saying.

I would think even the resident troll would have to acknowledge that 10-12 for 128 and a TD, while bringing the team back from 10 down to win in the 4th Q is pretty good. Maybe save your silliness for a week where it actually makes some sense. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We’ve reached the point in the narrative arc where 50%/252 yards/ 2 INTs/1 TD against Steelers backups is just superb quarterbacking. 

Is this bait? Yes? Ok I’ll take it. 

a lot of his incompletions came from smart throwaways to avoid sacks, and most of the game he was in 2nd and 3rd and long situations because we couldn’t get anything going on the run game. Only 1 of his interceptions was boneheaded. This post really screams that you’re a stat queen and you didn’t watch the game. He was rusty the first half but was perfection when we needed him to be in the 4th, but yes he’ll have to be consistent going forward for 3-4 quarters if we’re going to beat better teams. 

Just now, batman10023 said:

how many "good NFL QB" are there in your mind?

Excellent question.  That can be answered two ways.  

1.  All "good" NFL QB's past and current.  I don't have enough time for that.  

2.  All "good" NFL QB's that are currently starters.

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurs, Justin Herbert, Aaron Rogers, Brady, Burrow, Kyler Murray, Tannehill, Stafford, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, yep, even Cooper Rush, Trevor Lawrence, Jimmy G. yep, him too, Carr mostly, but not clutch, Wentz, Bridgewater, Mat Ryan slowing down, but still very good, 

Some of them can do it with their feet, but all can do it from the pocket and all play the position with the mindset of a good NFL qb.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Tyreek is making a fortune and lives in a low tax state.  He won't regret it.

How big of a difference could that really make?  When the choice is $55 or $60 million after taxes, I’ll take the job and location that will make me happiest, regardless of pay.  

13 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

How big of a difference could that really make?  When the choice is $55 or $60 million after taxes, I’ll take the job and location that will make me happiest, regardless of pay.  

Aside of taxes (which I would think would be more than $5m difference) you get a heck of a lot more for your money in Florida.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was a very good 4th quarter.  Though, admittedly, it would've looked a whole lot different if Minkah intercepted the pass Zach threw right into his hands.

32 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I mean, he was superb in the 4th quarter, which is all people are saying.

I would think even the resident troll would have to acknowledge that 10-12 for 128 and a TD, while bringing the team back from 10 down to win in the 4th Q is pretty good. Maybe save your silliness for a week where it actually makes some sense. 

He was just warming up the first three quarters. 4th quarter Zach is what we'll get the rest of the season. Extrapolates to 40-48 for 512 yards, 4 TDs and 1 griddy this week. Start this kid in DFS.

• Haha 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

He was just warming up the first three quarters. 4th quarter Zach is what we'll get the rest of the season. Extrapolates to 40-48 for 512 yards and 4 TDs this week. Start this kid in DFS.

Listen - he has to prove he can be more consistent and limit the dumb mistakes, but the idea that his 4th quarter wasn't extremely impressive is just sublime silliness. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Listen - he has to prove he can be more consistent and limit the dumb mistakes, but the idea that his 4th quarter wasn't extremely impressive is just sublime silliness. 

I actually thought his first half was better than what the stats showed. Some of his best plays in the first half were just avoiding sacks and throwing the ball away. Stuff that would have gone very badly with rookie Zach ended up as just incompletions. Obviously could have been better, but not as bad as people make it IMO.

I caught a lot of flack for that in the game thread but I stand by it. 4th quarter was outstanding and that's where QB's make their money.

• Upvote 3