Bridgewater: NY Jets saved my career

Bronx

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

TB should have been named the Jets starter.  Clearly and by far, he was the best QB on the roster.  IMHO, it would have been good for ZW to sit behind TB for a season.  TB would have been a very good mentor for ZW.  

Some said he would have been too expensive...nonsense.

• Upvote 1

Bringing him in was a great move despite never getting back to his pre-injury performance. I thought trading him away was a mistake. The team should have given him a legitimate competition with Darnold, who probably would have benefited from sitting for a year, or even half a season, behind somebody with experience. 

• Upvote 1

They traded Bridgewater and a 6th (turned out to be Saquan Hampton who never play(s/ed) for a 3rd. Minshew was the pick after Hampton but not much else of value there - Ty Johnson was among the best nearby picks.  The third was the pick Baltimore used on Miles Boykin.  We traded up one spot for Edoga.  We gave up a 7th for the move up.  They took Kris Boyd and there mostly trash around there until Myles Gaskin. 

I was always on board with the "make the rook earn it" attitude, but I think signing a guy and trading him after a month or two for a 3rd rounder is just good business.  Remember that they also had McCown on the team at this time, and there wasn't much reason to expect Bridgewater to be better.  McCown had spent a year in the system and had put up numbers comparable to Bridgewater's best. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Good on him for saying so, he's probably right.

I recall wanting to keep him in the moment, probably part of my "competition at QB is always good, don't just give a draft pick the job" mindset, but yeah.  I don't think I ever thought he'd be a stud per se, but I like serviceable, young, hungry backup QB's.  Everything Flacco isn't.

The Jets had already paid Josh McCown $10M for the season by the time Teddy joined the team, and I’m not sure if he was ever 100% while he was here. 

• Sympathy 1