Jump to content

Zach Wilson is back: Week 4 analysis - QB School


Claymation
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I just don't understand those way off the mark throws. He needs to figure those out, because it could leave a lot of TD's on the field. 

Idk if he's rushing through the throw or what but hope the coaches can clean it up. 

When he fully sets his feet when he is in the pocket like the 4th qtr in Pitt he appears spot on even in tight windows. Throwing on the run also has its challenges and seems fine there, but his short to mid-range accuracy many times seems affected by positioning, movement, and his stance in the pocket. He just has to work on that to make it better or more consistent especially when there is a well formed pocket, rather than him feeling there isn't once, and when there isn't one hit a hole and run.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty fair. I think everyone expected there was good and bad. Interesting thing was the first int was maybe not as clueless as it seemed live.

His main issue is the short dumpoffs and for some they just seem to not get over them and that is all they see of Zach. Of all things that a QB needs to fix this seems up there with the most easy and he did do better towards the end of last year. Just seems he rushes those trying to get the ball to the outlet too quickly. 

One of the more interesting things is that JT does not mind the backpeddling because of his arm talent and that is another thing the naysayers cling to.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Him missing the short easy stuff is mind boggling. The video points out how Zach especially struggles when passing to his right. Clean it up dude.

Maybe he should aim 10 feet above the head...

This way he hits them in the numbers...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slats said:

No one wants to make Josh Allen comparisons (Rosen? sure!) but this game was very much like what you saw from Josh Allen in his sophomore season. A ton of talent on display with some really ugly passes, most of which you’d think should be easy. A mediocre stat line to look at, but a win. Allen would throw those screens and flat runs in the stands, Zach is hitting the dirt, but I have to believe that the so-called easy throws should come. He’s making the same mistakes Allen was by putting too much on it and pressing. That’s coachable, a lot of the throws you see him make are not. 

I am sure we'd all love it if Zach Wilson showed the same kind of growth/improvement Josh Allen showed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

First off, JT is by far the best at this.  I dont think anyone even comes close to his break downs.  Something that really stood out as I was watching this was that they were all from shotgun.  So I looked at his splits, he only took 5 snaps from under center vs. the Steelers.  Just seems to be you're really limiting the playbook and hurting the run game by giving so few looks from under center.

I assume shotgun helps take pressure off the OL a bit more, no? (I honestly have no idea)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I just don't understand those way off the mark throws. He needs to figure those out, because it could leave a lot of TD's on the field. 

Idk if he's rushing through the throw or what but hope the coaches can clean it up. 

How many did he throw, 2?  
Basically like every other QB

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Him missing the short easy stuff is mind boggling. The video points out how Zach especially struggles when passing to his right. Clean it up dude.

I don't know, it seems to me Zach expected the RB(s) to cut up field sooner on both occasions. Maybe more practice reps and they will clear that up.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

First off, JT is by far the best at this.  I dont think anyone even comes close to his break downs.  Something that really stood out as I was watching this was that they were all from shotgun.  So I looked at his splits, he only took 5 snaps from under center vs. the Steelers.  Just seems to be you're really limiting the playbook and hurting the run game by giving so few looks from under center.

Reality is that our continuously jumbled OL is just not really good at run blocking. I think if you believe we could "establish the run" by being under center more you will be disappointed. I think for the foreseeable future we are going to need to set up the run through the pass like we did in the 4th quarter last Sunday

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

I don't know, it seems to me Zach expected the RB(s) to cut up field sooner on both occasions. Maybe more practice reps and they will clear that up.

Sure hope so. If he can just be clean, and throw catchable balls, on the short passes and the screens, he'll be that much better. He missed at least one to GW. Not that GW is going to break every screen pass for a big gain, but he's special enough that you've got to efficiently get the ball into his hands. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Reality is that our continuously jumbled OL is just not really good at run blocking. I think if you believe we could "establish the run" by being under center more you will be disappointed. I think for the foreseeable future we are going to need to set up the run through the pass like we did in the 4th quarter last Sunday

Meh, disagree, blocking for shotgun isnt easier and your playbook is limited when you play out of shotgun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's interesting towards the end when JT (whom I agree with @JiFapono, is clearly the best @ breaking down film for the masses) speaks about how frustrating it was watching this film - the highs are high and the lows are low with Zach. 

I think we're all struggling with the same "well... is he good?" because it's just not clear right now and there is no definitive.

But there are some throws in there that Sanchez and Darnold never would've made... 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This guy is incredible. Very fair video, he calls out Zach for bad throws, calls out receivers for bad routes. And gives praise when he thinks it is due.

A lot of people doing this stuff and so much of it is nonsense. This guy is great, he has no skin in the game so he calls it like he sees it.

I didn't see any replays because I was there. I feel better about the decision to throw to Elijah on the 1st interception. JT slams Eli for giving up on the route.

I feel better watching the 2nd INT, it looked higher when I saw it in person.

And I think I feel worse about the short air mail passes from Zach.  Mind boggling.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's interesting towards the end when JT (whom I agree with @JiFapono, is clearly the best @ breaking down film for the masses) speaks about how frustrating it was watching this film - the highs are high and the lows are low with Zach. 

I think we're all struggling with the same "well... is he good?" because it's just not clear right now and there is no definitive.

But there are some throws in there that Sanchez and Darnold never would've made... 

I think that's what to be expected with a young QB.  

JT was pretty down on ZW last year - any video he did of him was pretty bad.  The fact that he's come this far is a very good sign.

I think he saw what most of us saw - he started out playing well and that 3rd quarter he kinda fell apart - but regrouped in the 4th.  

I think it's clear Zach still has a lot of work to do and it's also clear this major upgrade in talent is helping him - but he's moving closer to being the guy that can carry this team.

Still probably thinking too much - that will all change as the offense becomes more second nature.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think that's what to be expected with a young QB.  

JT was pretty down on ZW last year - any video he did of him was pretty bad.  The fact that he's come this far is a very good sign.

I think he saw what most of us saw - he started out playing well and that 3rd quarter he kinda fell apart - but regrouped in the 4th.  

I think it's clear Zach still has a lot of work to do and it's also clear this major upgrade in talent is helping him - but he's moving closer to being the guy that can carry this team.

Still probably thinking too much - that will all change as the offense becomes more second nature.

I would rather have a QB that gets the elite arm talent comments and has to fix the short passes. I feel like we have had it the other way around and it doesn't work out.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

This guy is incredible. Very fair video, he calls out Zach for bad throws, calls out receivers for bad routes. And gives praise when he thinks it is due.

A lot of people doing this stuff and so much of it is nonsense. This guy is great, he has no skin in the game so he calls it like he sees it.

I didn't see any replays because I was there. I feel better about the decision to throw to Elijah on the 1st interception. JT slams Eli for giving up on the route.

I feel better watching the 2nd INT, it looked higher when I saw it in person.

And I think I feel worse about the short air mail passes from Zach.  Mind boggling.

He was throwing it to Jeff smith on the 1st interception - but yeah, looks like Moore gave up on the route - leaving his corner free to roam and make the pick. 
 

also he definitely has to clean these short misses up - they are infuriating 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I just don't understand those way off the mark throws. He needs to figure those out, because it could leave a lot of TD's on the field. 

Idk if he's rushing through the throw or what but hope the coaches can clean it up. 

Could be the angle of the throws. His misses are swing passes or screens. Stuff like that. If he can be more consistent on those throws, watch out. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...