Does a 2 & 2 Start Take Saleh Off the Hot Seat?

Robert Saleh

He may only be starting his second year as head coach of the New York Jets, but is Robert Saleh already a man on the hot seat in the Big Apple? If you take a look at the recent hirings and firings to have taken place at the two teams to play in the city – the New York Jets and New York Giants – recent history will tell you that individuals who are tasked with leading the team do not get too long in the role.

Indeed, Todd Bowles is the most recent coach to lead Gang Green to have been afforded more than two years, while Adam Gase – the man that Saleh had ultimately replaced – had failed to make it to the third year. With this in mind, there may not be many that will be considering he has a long-term future at MetLife Stadium, either.

Many will be wagering on the Jets this season as legal sports betting was made possible in the state of New York, and with the latest betting trend, micro betting, continuing to gain traction, the head coach may feel as though he is a little more under-fire as many punters will be placing bets throughout the matches that they play.

How did Saleh do last season?

As mentioned, Saleh is only just starting his second year as the head coach of the Jets, however, there is going to need to be a significant improvement on what had been accomplished last season.

Gang Green managed to put together a record that stood 4-13 and given that he is a defensive coach, Saleh saw his team give up the most points and yards in the league in the 2021 season. This is something that he will be challenged to improve immediately, otherwise, he may not be at MetLife Stadium for much longer.

There is optimism after the 2 and 2 start

For the Jets, many just want to see some progress be achieved as it has been an extremely long time since they had anything to truly cheer about when taking to the football field. The last time the organization was able to reach the playoffs was back in 2010, and everyone associated with the franchise will be hoping that drought is ended by the end of the campaign.

Indeed, there is plenty of optimism around the Big Apple regarding their chances this season, as it could be argued that the team has a roster full of talented players; one that has been at its strongest for years.

General Manager Joe Douglas and Saleh were able to acquire a number of talented players in the 2022 NFL draft this offseason, while they were also incredibly smart with the options that they picked as each individual selected can look to have an immediate impact on the team moving forward.

However, there will need to be some improvement regarding Zach Wilson, with the second-year QB likely going to have to step up and show why he was selected as high as he was in the 2021 NFL draft. If he can improve, then the Jets can be in a strong position to challenge and potentially end the league’s longest playoff drought.

How has the 2022 Season started?

Unfortunately, the start of the 2022 NFL season did not begin in the way that Saleh and his team would have hoped, with the Jets falling 24-9 to the Baltimore Ravens after going undefeated in pre-season.

However, there is undoubtedly a new found resilience in this team. Following the opening day loss, Saleh said he would be “keeping receipts” of those mocking the Jets. They responded by mounting a barely believable comeback against the Cleveland Browns in week 2, down 30-17 with 1:55 left on the clock, the Jets came storming back to win 31-30.

A defeat against last year’s Super Bowl runners up the Bengals followed in week 3, but a week 4 bounce back win in Pittsburgh against the favored Steelers shows this team is made of the right stuff.

The schedule is tough – that is impossible to deny – however Gang Green will feel that they have the team to compete against some of the best in the league. They will need to show that they can and they will need to do it immediately if they are to have a successful campaign; one in which Saleh can potentially keep his job after. If he does, surely those receipts will be making an appearance.

The post Does a 2 & 2 Start Take Saleh Off the Hot Seat? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• WTF? 1

Does a 2 & 2 Start Take Saleh Off the Hot Seat?

No.

If we finish 2-15, he'll be fired. 

Not "hot seat", but outright fired.

The odds of that are far lower than they were it seems, but who knows.

I'd say Saleh remains on the "Hot seat" till his 6-7th win this year.

Anything less, his seat will remain warm.  JMO.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure he was ever on one. Miami is a big game. If we show continued progress we could be on our way

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably wasn't on it to begin with.  Next few games will tell us a lot about what level of coach he is.

Yes to both.

If the Jets come out Sunday uninspired and slow-start or look dead, then this regime is probably kaput.

• Upvote 2

I think no matter who is looking at the situation, Saleh is off the hot seat for now.  

Woody: No hot seat.

Fans: Off the hot seat until the next loss. We're a fickle bunch. 

GM: No hot seat here. I think JD has more faith in Saleh than anyone in the building. JMHO. 

Pundits: I think if prior to the season you told most people who know and follow the NFL that the Jets were going to be 2-2 after playing the Ravens, Browns, Bengals and Steelers with at least 2 OTs injured and their backup starting 3 of their first 4 games, they would tell you just by that record alone, the coach has done enough to stay off the hot seat.     

• Upvote 1

I disagree with the seat never being hot. If they lose last week in a similar fashion to the loss against Cincy all the talk would be how they should be 0-4 if not for a miracle against the Browns and trust me that seat would've been piping hot. 

He's good for now but these next 4 games are obviously very crucial. 

0-4 and it's back to hot.

1-3 but down to the wire losses probably ok.

2-2 or better he's golden.

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Not if they wind up with less than 7 wins. Go 6-11 and you're on the hot seat next season IMO

If they go 6 and 11 at this point, wow. I don't even want to think about it. 2 and 2 with many winnable games.  8 and 9 needs to be the worst case scenario.

• Upvote 2

You have to be on a hot seat before you can be removed from one.  Woody Johnson always gives ample time for a HC to prove himself.  It's not changing for Saleh. 

In Gase's case, he failed the eyeball test right from the opening press conference.  

toyota-hungry.gif

• Upvote 1

I don’t believe he is on the Hot Seat. I would hope to believe that he feels he is on the Hot Seat. And I think he thinks he was earlier in this young season. With his receipts response to the media. Good!!!! Because it is a results driven business. Bowles wasn’t it. Gase certainly wasn’t it… but look at those rosters. With those 2. Aging players. Lack of weapons. Cap hell. I believe this is all tied to Joe D and his methodical approach of building this thing up from the absolute bottom of the barrel to where we are currently headed and the recipient of that approach as of right now is Saleh…. Let’s see how things play out. But ‘if he was on hot seat’ He no longer is…..I strongly believe that we will win 8-10 games this year based on what I’ve seen so far with this team and young talent that is showing out. This year is a great, great stepping stone for extended success for this franchise. All this saying with believing that Zach makes his necessary strides in becoming our franchise QB we need him to be. I believe in short that Saleh is growing into this role and will be the beneficiary of this influx of TALENT that Joe D has produced the last 2 years. SKYISTHEMTHEMTHFCKNLIMIT

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

That would be tempting.  But let's play the hypothetical, I know these aren't in order. But off the top of my head there are some winnable games on this schedule.

Lions - W

Bears - W

Jaguars - W

Dolphins Twice - Split

Patriots Twice - Split

Bills Twice - Lose Both

Packers - L

That has them at 8 wins, and again this isn't in order, so these games are super important:

Broncos

Seahawks

Vikings

Meaningful games in December anyone?

Always hopeful, never confident :) 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

That would be tempting.  But let's play the hypothetical, I know these aren't in order. But off the top of my head there are some winnable games on this schedule.

Lions - W

Bears - W

Jaguars - W

Dolphins Twice - Split

Patriots Twice - Split

Bills Twice - Lose Both

Packers - L

That has them at 8 wins, and again this isn't in order, so these games are super important:

Broncos

Seahawks

Vikings

Meaningful games in December anyone?

If we win this week, meaningful games in December are very likely barring a serious midseason collapse  (which is possible, of course)

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

You're right -- the Steelers game thread was distilled and concentrated raw human emotion.

5 stars. Highly recommend.

Well the game thread is definitely a different animal lol. No defending what goes on in there all around.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

If they go 6 and 11 at this point, wow. I don't even want to think about it. 2 and 2 with many winnable games.  8 and 9 needs to be the worst case scenario.

I don't know what everyone was expecting this season but last year this team was a complete sh*tshow.  

This year they've added a few decent pieces and quite a few people were expecting playoffs.  Sorry, but they're not that good.

6-11 with this schedule IMHO is a good start.

• Upvote 1