OT: TOP 1980s FILMS

I know this is OT, so if you guys would kindly keep it on the main board just for a few hours.

I run an entertainment company, and one of my jobs is FUNdraising.

I am hosting a retro trivia night twice this month, and I am doing a Family-Feud style question.  Need 100 people to survey.

Looking for your top 5 movies from the 1980s.  

ONE CATCH: You HAVE to be over 40!

Thanks dudes!  Ask your wives/girlfriends as well.  Need a balance between male and female responses.

• Upvote 2

Deal, and in order. 

1. Big Trouble in Little China

2. Return of the Jedi

3. Rad

4. Gleaming the Cube

5. Iron Eagle

Runners up: Die Hard, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Monster Squad, They Live, and The Beastmaster. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Deal, and in order. 

1. Big Trouble in Little China

2. Return of the Jedi

3. Rad

4. Gleaming the Cube

5. Iron Eagle

Runners up: Die Hard, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Monster Squad, They Live, and The Beastmaster. 

Big Trouble in Little China is one of the few movies I’ve ever seen that I’ll sit and watch whenever I see that it’s on. Just a classic piece of film making. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Great, great film. That final shot of Candy smiling is enough to bring a tear to my eye. 

Uncle Buck was good too.

I agree with most of the ones listed here. One I re-watched recently that's never mentioned is 3 O Clock High (school nerd offends the toughest kid in the school, is told they'r going to fight at 3, and spends the rest of the day trying to get out of the fight).

Not amazing but good fun. Apparently Spielberg asked to have his producer credit removed as he was unhappy with the level of cynicism displayed in the film, which kind of makes me like it more.

Oh, and Raging Bull.

And Heathers, Commando, Total Recall, Running Man, Trading Places, Coming to America, Once Upon a Time in America, Stand By Me, Airplane, Scarface

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Anything by Bruce Seven.

@dbatesman mentioned Aliens, which is still frightening and insane today.   Reading about Alien got me thinking about John Carpenter's chilling/shocking remake of The Thing.  His version is dark and brilliant.  Great group of actors led by Kurt Russell.

John carpenter’s The Thing is one of my favorite movies of all time and still my favorite horror movie. The sense of paranoia that movie creates is just awesome. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

John carpenter’s The Thing is one of my favorite movies of all time and still my favorite horror movie. The sense of paranoia that movie creates is just awesome. 

Paranoia is right.   The whole blood testing concept.  Damn that was nuts.    

I won't add a spoiler.  But leave it to Carpenter to not go down the Hollywood happy ending trail.  Like you, I still love that flick so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1