If you're HC does AVT ever go back to G

PorP

JD way overpaid for AVT. Two 3rd's and a first for an offensive guard. Good GM's pick those guys up in the 3rd round or FA. Knida like Mitchell in the 4th.

BUT - AVT has turned into an extremely versatile lineman capable of playing LT,LG,RG,RT and who knows maybe even center. 

The fact he can play LT turns him into a great pick. (Of course, JD knew this all along but was just keeping it under his hat).

• Thumb Down 10
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

25303499_ScreenShot2022-10-10at8_00_03AM.thumb.png.509985269d08f081571f0ac929070da0.png

There are dudes on this website that can speak intelligently on offensive tackle play and arm length - I'm not one of them, but I believe 32" would be considered very short for a tackle?

So we're cool for him play RT for now, but probably not beyond that? 

Yes, like in there have been no more than a couple players in the entire NFL history that have been elite tackles with arms that short. But there are exceptions to everything. Let's not write off Mitchell either. He had some growing pains at RT but he showed that he can be a very solid RT in the NFL especially after another offseason. Maybe the future of tackle is AVT and Mitchell and we look for more guards in later rounds so we can fix LB and safety.

• Upvote 2

He’s a guard. He’ll be back at guard. Next year - Brown, Tomlinson, C?, AVT, Becton.

JD will have to spend a 1st round pick on a LT. No ifs or ands about it. Mitchell played well at RT but is a depth piece. And Becton is a huge question mark. Both Fant and Brown were not long term solutions. JD needs to keep improving the OL. Center will also need to be addressed. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Definitely not...Keep him at RT.

The positional value is far greater and with the experience he gains this year (if he plays out the year at RT) + a full offseason dedicated to it he will be setup just fine.

It is much easier to find a guard than it is a tackle.

If he keeps playing well there, yes, keep him there.  Hopefully Brown and Fant can hold the fort at LT this season until the Jets can draft or sign a good young one in the offseason.

But, I'd guess that once Fant is healthy, he goes to RT if Brown is healthy and playing okay.

all depends on Herbig.  I didnt rewatch the game but the few times I was watching and some of the replays I saw Herbig didnt do too bad.  On the long pass to Breece he picked up a guy and allowed Zach to make that pass.  Maybe he was beat a lot in game i dunno will have to look at the all 22.  I do like Herbig size for a RG

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, PorP said:

I think not...

Over 2 weeks at 2 different tackle positions with 1 week prep at each position... AVT has allowed 3 pressures and 0 sacks. 

AVT might be the best player on our roster and I think I keep him at tackle

Well, at least not for this season. As long as Brown can play, he should remain at RT. We might move him back next season depending on what the roster looks like. 

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Well, at least not for this season. As long as Brown can play, he should remain at RT. We might move him back next season depending on what the roster looks like. 

Maybe you're right? 

But I think if he plays the season... then stats, performance and his preference should dictate position next year. 

I'm pleasantly surprised at how flexible and how good AVT really is. What a great hire for our team.

For next year, I kinda wanna wait and see what we have a the two tackle spots. Having a top swing tackle who also dominates at the guard spot ain't too shabby. AVT can start at RG, then swing out to either tackle if needed during the season. Priceless!

If we start him at LT, then he's kinda pigeonholed there no matter what else happens on the line. He may be too valuable as a top lineman who can play any position to put him at the one spot he can never move from.

Side note, I think Connor McGovern moved over from C to RT after Max got hurt. Did I get that right?

Maybe we haven't given JD enough credit for his work forming our oline....with all four tackles in the trainers tent we still managed to put together a pretty good line on the fly.

• Upvote 1