Jets as destination?

WowOhWow

For years we've heard that agents use the Jets to get better deals for their clients elsewhere.

There is such a positive vibe and such a plethora of young talent on this team that I wonder if now we'll start to get some of the top tier FA's to join us.

As opposed to overpaying for mediocre talent we start to pay fair amounts to top talent.

Imagine if that happens...and JD keeps drafting well.

BTW - I believe not being able to personally sit with, see in person and interview prospects hurt JD during his initial draft.  That's my take on the root cause for the bad draft on a whole.

Winning is the cure all for sure.  But a coach like saleh helps too as far as how he relates to players and the culture of the building.  Also the guys Douglas is drafting and brining in helps.  

keyshawn was saying this am that guys like judge who come in and try to be so old school with an inability to connect with players is a recipe for disaster.  It doesn’t work anymore.  Saleh if anything connects with the players and builds a very particle culture.

Being successful on the field or at least having a FO/coaching staff that players have confidence in will surely make attracting free agents easier than if you are considered a dysfunctional franchise. But the tri-state areas tax rates and cost of living will always be a barrier and almost force us to overpay just to be competitive with an equal offer in other parts of the country.

We are close - if the season continues as it is now and the Jets win say... 9 games, the Jets will have an opportunity to clean up in free agency. A 9 win season with the youth the team has will have people labeling the Jets as a franchise that's on the cusp of breaking out

• Upvote 2

Clearly players around the league still clown us. I think we will eventually be a destination for players who have a chip on their shoulder. Primadonnas won't last on our team. Even when we're good, we get disrespected. So, you have to embrace the hate to be successful on our team.

• Upvote 1

Tax rates aside there are still tremendous media opportunities post football for those that perform in NYC area.  The opportunities post career are better here...that's a counter point to the tax issue.

I think we'll start to land more of the FA's we covet...which will only accelerate the trajectory of improvement we're on.

And - if Zach hits...watch out.

I’m no tax expert and won’t pretend to be but I know NY is one of the most taxed. In todays NFL, you don’t need to be in Dallas, NY, or LA to maximize endorsement deals. Playing for a good organization is important to a lot of players, but I also wonder if this is a bigger reason than we realize on why guys don’t want to play here.

I remember when we were in the cousins market, that even though the jets offered more per year than the Vikings, I saw something that in all actuality, cousins would make something like 7-8 million more by playing for the Vikings because of taxes…

• Sympathy 1

IMO there are A LOT of reasons why star players choose one place over another.

1. Money. More specifically, contract- length, size, bonus, etc.  

2. Taxes. How much money are you going to lose to uncle sam once you move to that state. 

3. Financial opportunities. How big is the market. 

4. On field opportunities. If you are a WR, are you going to team with a great QB? If you are a QB are you going to a team with lots of weapons? If you are a RB, will you get a ton of carries or will this be a RB by committee situation?  

5. Weather/climate/location. Are you going to live in Buffalo or Miami?   

6. How good a team is NOW. 

7. How good the team is trending to be. Is this a team that is still good but will probably need to rebuild in a couple of years? Or is this a young team on the rise?  

8. Legacy of GM. 

9. Legacy of Coach. 

10. Chemistry/fit in the system. 

But above all else its about money, winning and their living situation. Players want to win and players want to get paid. And to a lesser degree (because they travel constantly anyway). Players want to have a choice in where they live for the most part of the year. Typically, top tier FAs end up choosing between two or three teams and it comes down to these three things. 

Now, when it comes to the Jets, the ONLY thing they have been missing is the WINNING part. NY/NJ is a great place to live, the Jets have not been stingy with contracts when they have had an opportunity to invest in talent, but they have not been able to put together a winning product that makes top tier FAs put them in the running for acquiring their services. I think that is starting to turn. The Jets are trending up. They are a young team that looks to have a bright future.       

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Clearly players around the league still clown us. I think we will eventually be a destination for players who have a chip on their shoulder. Primadonnas won't last on our team. Even when we're good, we get disrespected. So, you have to embrace the hate to be successful on our team.

100% agree. Its a GOOD thing. You gotta have that blackboard material or whatever they call it to keep you extra angry and out for blood. It wasn't meant as a slight at the Jets IMO, but the Jets need to MAKE it a slight against the Jets. 

NFL should disrespect other NFL teams at their own risk. However, the Jets won 4 games last year. There is no reason why NFL teams should be looking at the Jets like a major obstacle on the schedule. I'm sure the Packers believe this is a game they SHOULD win barring catastrophe. lol. 

Well...giddyup. 

End Of The World Mind Blown GIF by Daybreak

I’d take a) the Jets wanting to hang on to players they’ve drafted and b) having those players re-sign reasonable extensions because they want to stay. Being a free agent destination would be gravy, but I can’t think of many guys the Jets have just hung on to for a decade or so. Brick and Mangold come to mind. Shaun Ellis. Having those kinds of pieces is awesome.

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Players make business decisions and our tax rate will always keep us from being a desirable destination.  

This is why Douglas knows he has to win with the draft. He is not going to overpay for free agents and free agents aren’t going to want to pay the crazy taxes (only getting worse) and high cost of living if the New York Metro area.

Develop young players, hope they love it and stay with the team and keep bringing in young talent. 

The Jets will be a competitive fun team for years. Maybe just maybe eek out a SB win

• Upvote 1