Last Man Off the Titanic

What difference Mondays are after a win.    As much as it saddened me to see the Mets go down in flames, the Jets winning impressively softened the blow .

I am not going to start a poll or mention any individual posters, but despite the apparent upgrade in both personnel and performance, there are many forum members who are slow to be impressed, or persist in attacks on the team, Zac and Saleh.  I asked one of the doubters today with us at 3-2 what record he expected and he said 6-11!    I wonder what it will take for them to actually become “positive”, and stop dwelling on the negatives that every team has, win or lose.   And who will be the last guy to jump ship from the SS The Jets Suck and  join the party.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

I believe there are several trolls on here because JN has been such a fertile ground to troll because the Jets have sucked for so long. There are also those who are so pessimistic because the Jets have sucked for so long.

I am surprised by the number of negative posts after a resounding win particularly against Zach. Is he playing perfect ball? No Has he proven to be a FQB? No

He is progressing, making less errors, getting his completion % up, and winning football games. Time will tell whether he is the Jet’s FQB. The best case scenario is he develops into a FQB. The worse case scenario is he is playing well enough not to hinder the development of other young players. 

i am surprised anyone has anything bad to say about Wilson yesterday. he was literally 2 yards a way from having 210 yards and account for 3 touchdowns. he was great.

• Upvote 3

Mostly because of the paucity of wins, I have been a vocal critic of JD.

In addition to the W/L record the stench of drafting Becton has also contributed to my negativity.

Now in the interest of being objective I must say the recent infusion of young talent is starting to push the needle into the positive zone.

Hall Gardner Garrett and others look like the real deal.

I am still skeptical of ZW. He needs to prove he is durable enough for the NFL and also needs take his game up to the next level.

I do still have hope for him to be the guy.

If ZW continues to ascend and stays healthy and they can squeeze out 9-10 wins this year I will begin to worship at the altar of JD.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

What difference Mondays are after a win.    As much as it saddened me to see the Mets go down in flames, the Jets winning impressively softened the blow .

I am not going to start a poll or mention any individual posters, but despite the apparent upgrade in both personnel and performance, there are many forum members who are slow to be impressed, or persist in attacks on the team, Zac and Saleh.  I asked one of the doubters today with us at 3-2 what record he expected and he said 6-11!    I wonder what it will take for them to actually become “positive”, and stop dwelling on the negatives that every team has, win or lose.   And who will be the last guy to jump ship from the SS The Jets Suck and  join the party.

None of them will 'join the party' until the Jets win the SB. It is what it is. 

If the Jets go 7-10, they will say thats still a bad record and not nearly good enough for how talented this team is. If the Jets go 9-8, but miss the playoffs, they will say the Jets should have won more games and made the playoffs. If they get to the playoffs but get knocked out early, they will say it's this guys or that guys fault for losing in the payoffs and he should get fired/cut/traded. If we get to the Superbowl but lose you will never hear the end of it from these fans...that it was our only chance in decades, that it was a team of destiny and they blew it. 

For now you will still hear the same persisting negative narrative- o-line still sucks, Zach still not doing enough (hasn't proven he is a Franchise guy), not enough pass rush, LBs can't do a d**n thing, too many drops from receivers, etc., etc.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I say while you are what your record says you some teams are better than their record some teams are not as good as their record. I expected the Jets to start slow, win somewhere between 6-8 games and feel that they were better than their record especially after they improved over the season.

While I am happy with the 3-2 start, we need to be realistic - yes the SOJ would have lost to Cleveland and Pittsburg and probably yesterday, it is important to note that we beat 2 relatively bad teams (one with a miracle win) and one good team missing their QBs and with their WRs hurt. I take the win and quite frankly other than losing their QB, they got pretty lucky with flags and a rookie QB falling down, throwing a ball, getting it tipped and not only not have it intercepted, but a completion.

While I am more optimistic about both the team and the record for this season, remember, you are rarely as bad as your last loss, nor are you as good as your last win. I do find it amusing, however, about how some fans were calling Saleh and staff the worst staff in the league (and are still calling for Peyton) and yet the darling HC of the league had a team the saw very undisciplined play with two face mask penalties and some dumb late hit/un-sportsman like penalties. I guess discipline is only a problem for a Jets HC. It is nice to not to have to listen to that bunk at least for this week.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Sometimes you have to take a wait and see approach. Jets have been bad for so long.

And so far this year the Jets have beaten 3 teams playing there backup qbs. If they beat the packers next week I think a lot of people will start to be more optimistic . 

Nah. If they beat the Packers next week (barring eye popping numbers) a lot of people will point to how Zach is STILL not good enough. A lot of people will point to how much worse the Packers are this year (without Adams). Etc., etc. 

I'm not saying the Jets are world beaters just because of their two back to back wins. I'm just saying a little bit of focus on the positive woudl be nice for a change. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Mostly because of the paucity of wins, I have been a vocal critic of JD.

In addition to the W/L record the stench of drafting Becton has also contributed to my negativity.

Now in the interest of being objective I must say the recent infusion of young talent is starting to push the needle into the positive zone.

Hall Gardner Garrett and others look like the real deal.

I am still skeptical of ZW. He needs to prove he is durable enough for the NFL and also needs take his game up to the next level.

I do still have hope for him to be the guy.

If ZW continues to ascend and stays healthy and they can squeeze out 9-10 wins this year I will begin to worship at the altar of JD.

Whether Becton is out of the league next year or he becomes a perennial pro-bowler, JD's first draft is going to go down to a really bad one (can't be the worst as Idzik has that ribbon). That being said, there is rarely a rapid turn around between a good/great draft and wins; this is especially true when a team is a bereft of talent as the Jets were 3 years ago.

Rookies make mistakes and take a while to mature and grow. Even if they start out hot like a few of our rookies, it can take a while to gel. This is even more true with new and first time HC. GMs and HCs both can take a while to find their footings - JD had his mulligan year; Saleh too - plus it takes a while for a young team to learn a new scheme.

Had the Jets win 6 games this year, but the team looked solid and was improving in the end, you can still recognize the job Saleh did and with 4 of the top 25 rookies (3 in top 10), you have to recognize what a great draft JD had.

All that being said, I think i am going to wait till December before I crown this top as being in the top half of the league. I am just glad that they don't appear to be in the bottom 5 :-)

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

please stop this nonsense. you are allowed to be happy, but we are way closer to 1-4 than 4-1...and we all wanted the coaching staff to take a hike 2 weeks ago. even yesterday, some of the decision making was maddening (on the 50, 4 and 1 throw down the sideline??).

just enjoy the fact that they are pulling the wins out while trying to figure out how to be a good team. there is a lot of good here...but no one here would be surprised if we lose 50-3 to the bills.

i'll be positive when they go 9-8 (or better), Zach cements himself as the answer based on his play, and i can look forward to the draft and next season.

LOL - while i agree that we could easily be 1-4, that kind of comment can be applied to any team's record. Hell the Dolphin fans are saying if Tua was there and Hill was healthy they win - maybe, but if Brown wasn't hurt and Max wasn't on IR, we could be better too. Cleveland is probably saying that they should have beaten the Jets and it was a miracle win, which is true, but to a certain extent - we are what our record says we are. 

Also, the SOJ would have found a way to lose yesterday - that is also true for the Steelers and Browns games - but they didn't. And for the record, we ALL were not calling for Saleh's head two or 3 weeks ago. I actually thought the Jets were going to start 0-4, 1-3 but figured it would take time for all of the rookies to play well, not make mistakes, and for the D to get better.

While these recent wins have me thinking more of 8-9 wins vs the 6-8 i thought we were going to be at the beginning of the season, before the injuries, I as well as many on this board see the team for what they are: a young team with a talented core with a promising future. Saleh was never the worst coach in the league edit - remove Carolina as they don't have a coach now see Detroit and Houston, nor was JD the worst GM in the league (see Carolina and Washington). Saleh still has a lot to prove and improve on - but it is a nice start to the season. Enjoy the week Jets fans.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Nah. If they beat the Packers next week (barring eye popping numbers) a lot of people will point to how Zach is STILL not good enough. A lot of people will point to how much worse the Packers are this year (without Adams). Etc., etc. 

I'm not saying the Jets are world beaters just because of their two back to back wins. I'm just saying a little bit of focus on the positive woudl be nice for a change. 

I am one of those people who are skeptical of Zach Wilson. At the same time I have 0 complaints with his performance yesterday.

However I am still waiting for his breakout performance so to speak. Give me 300+ yards 2tds and 0 ints. Hasn’t happened yet. Once he does it a couple of times I think a lot of the zach Wilson “haters” will come to the other side. I just haven’t seen “it” yet.

the one thing I think we can all agree on is that we have a nice young core of good players. AVT, Breece, Sauce, Garret Wilson, etc etc. For the first time in a long time it looks like we are headed in the right direction. 

if Zach Wilson can put up a couple of breakout games by the end of the season I think jet fans as a whole will be a lot more optimistic going into next year. Myself included

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Nothing will make them happy because that is their nature in real life as well.

Its a big thing going on all over the world. Its how the term "haters" got coined. Social media is vicious with these cowards flapping their lips in anonymitiy. Or however its spelled

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

39 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

please stop this nonsense. you are allowed to be happy, but we are way closer to 1-4 than 4-1...and we all wanted the coaching staff to take a hike 2 weeks ago. even yesterday, some of the decision making was maddening (on the 50, 4 and 1 throw down the sideline??).

just enjoy the fact that they are pulling the wins out while trying to figure out how to be a good team. there is a lot of good here...but no one here would be surprised if we lose 50-3 to the bills.

i'll be positive when they go 9-8 (or better), Zach cements himself as the answer based on his play, and i can look forward to the draft and next season.

Football history is filled with teams that were handed wins by the opponent.  Are the Patriots going to give back the SB trophy they won vs Atlanta?  The biggest NFL choke job of all time ?  I doubt it.  The Jets are 3-2.  Wins all count.  Whether they keep it up is another story.  We'll see.  All I know is that the past two weeks have been the most enjoyable games for me since 2010.  The 2015 team was a mirage  with old players carrying the team and a career losing back up QB having the season of his life.  It was clearly not sustainable. This is being done with young ascending players and , for that reason, can be sustainable (for the long term, not just 2022).  Big difference

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Nothing will make them happy because that is their nature in real life as well.

Its a big thing going on all over the world. Its how the term "haters" got coined. Social media is vicious with these cowards flapping their lips in anonymitiy. Or however its spelled

They are happy being right in their player and coach assessments and not with Jets wins. They want to be able to say they knew Wilson is not a good QB, Saleh is not a good coach, and JD not a good GM. That is what they are about. It's not about Sunday afternoons. It's about coming to the board on Monday and saying "I am so smart - I was right about XXXX."  It's pretty warped actually.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, PepPep said:

None of them will 'join the party' until the Jets win the SB. It is what it is. 

If the Jets go 7-10, they will say thats still a bad record and not nearly good enough for how talented this team is. If the Jets go 9-8, but miss the playoffs, they will say the Jets should have won more games and made the playoffs. If they get to the playoffs but get knocked out early, they will say it's this guys or that guys fault for losing in the payoffs and he should get fired/cut/traded. If we get to the Superbowl but lose you will never hear the end of it from these fans...that it was our only chance in decades, that it was a team of destiny and they blew it. 

For now you will still hear the same persisting negative narrative- o-line still sucks, Zach still not doing enough (hasn't proven he is a Franchise guy), not enough pass rush, LBs can't do a d**n thing, too many drops from receivers, etc., etc.  

This team, which is apparently above reproach now, is currently getting 7.5 points next weekend, the 3rd largest deficit of the 14 games.

Why is Vegas a SOJF?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

This team, which is apparently above reproach now, is currently getting 7.5 points next weekend, the 3rd largest deficit of the 14 games.

Why is Vegas a SOJF?

I don't know but I'm happy to take their money again this week.  TBH, I felt the line against the Fish was dumb, given the injuries to the LT, both starting corners, and Tua.  Add in that Hill and Waddle were both supposedly dinged up, and it felt like the money was propping that line up so I tossed down a small bet (my first DK bet ever).  Jets losing by more than a TD to GB seems like far less than a 50:50 proposition to me (and the -115 isn't enough to turn me away).  

In any case, the line is meaningless as the London game yesterday showed.  This season especially feels about as upside down as any I can remember.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

I believe there are several trolls on here because JN has been such a fertile ground to troll because the Jets have sucked for so long. There are also those who are so pessimistic because the Jets have sucked for so long.

I am surprised by the number of negative posts after a resounding win particularly against Zach. Is he playing perfect ball? No Has he proven to be a FQB? No

He is progressing, making less errors, getting his completion % up, and winning football games. Time will tell whether he is the Jet’s FQB. The best case scenario is he develops into a FQB. The worse case scenario is he is playing well enough not to hinder the development of other young players. 

he is 2-0.  'nuff said.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't know but I'm happy to take their money again this week.  TBH, I felt the line against the Fish was dumb, given the injuries to the LT, both starting corners, and Tua.  Add in that Hill and Waddle were both supposedly dinged up, and it felt like the money was propping that line up so I tossed down a small bet (my first DK bet ever).  Jets losing by more than a TD to GB seems like far less than a 50:50 proposition to me (and the -115 isn't enough to turn me away).  

In any case, the line is meaningless as the London game yesterday showed.  This season especially feels about as upside down as any I can remember.

I hope you win.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Sometimes you have to take a wait and see approach. Jets have been bad for so long.

And so far this year the Jets have beaten 3 teams playing there backup qbs. If they beat the packers next week I think a lot of people will start to be more optimistic . 

And the Jets had a backup QB in their 2 losses.  Funny how that isn't used as an excuse around here

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

this is it.

SOJ would lose those games thats right, but there still what they are.

beat a backup QB on a miracle win in Clev.

Beat a rookie QB playing his first game. and it took a GREAT 4th qt by Zach to beat them and they dont look like a very good team the Steelers. and yesterday beat another rookie in his 1st game. a 3rd string too, not the projected #1 QB of the future like Pickett is. 

and some of us are not sold on Zach yet. yeah he was ok when his team gets 5 rushing TDs but thats not going to happen every week. he still makes bad decisions. and OMG that 17 yard sack. when is he going to stop running backwards and run to the side. and then on 3rd and 20 he throws short to the TE. at least if you are going to throw short throw it to Hall, Carter or GW who can make a few moves and with their speed can get the 1st down.

beat Aarron Rodgers and that will prove we are really as good as some of you think. 

I made a bet with one of the trolls, forget which one exactly that Zach would be at least average in the NFL this year and he said he would never be that. Well Zach has been better than average in his first two starts. @doitny as an example was unrelenting in saying Zach sucks yesterday despite the reality that it was quite a solid game.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

It'll take some time.  There are some people really dug in on a number of these players/coaches failing.  They'll come around, it'll just take - probably this full season.  

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

If we give the Pack a game, it should do the same. But win/loss is still the ultimate emotion mover.

• Upvote 1