Rhule Fired

They should have kept Teddy at QB while they built the rest of the team through the draft and waited for a QB to fall to them. On the way they could have traded Mcaffrey to a contender for a kings ransom. Poor long term planning. There are no shortcuts to sustained success.

Ironically, they only have 4 picks in the 2023 draft, but their first pick will probably in an ideal spot to select a QB. They should probably suit up Matt Corral and give him some packages to run so they can evaluate him for the long term -- who knows? And, they should shop Mcaffrey. Tehy could probably scare something out of the Bucs or Packers for him. He would be an ideal safety valve for an aging QB. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

whats the point when Zach is going to throw it to him 2 times a game. im afraid that yesterday's game with the... run...run..run and make Zach throw it as little as possible will be the gameplan going forward. if that happens its such a waste of a talented WR group that we ever had.

Our wide receivers will be getting plenty of action.  If you are ahead and you have a good running game, that's what a well-coached team will do.  In fact, yesterday was the first time that happened all season.

• Sympathy 2

Just now, jgb said:

Poverty ass team? A team that gives Darnold $19M guaranteed site-unseen isn't afraid to spend... the problem is spending wisely.

Sorta funny complaint coming from him when you consider that it was likely his decision (at least in large part) to tie up 25 mil on two mediocre QBs this year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

Sorta funny complaint coming from him when you consider that it was likely his decision (at least in large part) to tie up 25 mil on two mediocre QBs this year.

@Jetsfan80 predicted at the moment the Panthers picked up Sam's option that was the beginning of the end for Rhule.

Just a really bad decision, even with the information available at the time...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

College football is all about Recruiting and Schiano does do that pretty wwll, considering he's competing against big 10 schools with much biggers "payrolls" . 

Recruits well except the two most important spots QB and OL.Has to be one of the 5-10 worst in game coaches in CFB.

24 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Sounds like you're making excuses for your boy. God forbid Darnold comes back this season and plays better than that coach killer Mayfield. 

No, I’ve said a few times Baker has been really bad this season. Here’s the thing though… on his worst day he’s better than Darnold.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You're not permitted to make this statement if you were wrong about some QB coming out of college in the past per our resident QB expert Green Ghost.  

Ozzie Newsome wouldn't pass that test. Hardest position in sport to evaluate. Not even close.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

@Jetsfan80 predicted at the moment the Panthers picked up Sam's option that was the beginning of the end for Rhule.

Just a really bad decision, even with the information available at the time...

It was one of several terrible decisions that got him fired, for sure.  Not sure where to rank it.  For me it would be # 1 but it might not have been for the Carolina front office.

Firing/scapegoating Joe Brady was also a horrid decision.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:
I thought he was going to be a good one. When was the last time a coach was fired after only 5 weeks or less?

Week 5 of his 3rd season, though.  That tells me they were very close to firing him this past offseason and put him on a tight leash in year 3. 

With a new QB1 (his 3rd) in there he had no excuses left.  And it was simply shocking see just HOW bad Baker Mayfield was.  Baker sucks but he shouldn't be THIS dreadful.  

They should have stuck with Bridgewater from the jump.  And/or drafted a QB of their own.  They had an opportunity in the 2021 class (Fields, Mac Jones). 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

Nate Hackett has been informed

nervous-ted-striker-sweating-r9pyrw93kx3

Panthers will next work out a trade For Russell Wilson who despises Hackett for kicking a 60 year FG instead of trusting him.  Next week in do or die last minute, Hackett wont kick a Fg, wont put it in Russell's hands, he'll go wildcat ?

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

So weird. That's all he was touted for. Changing the culture. 

Rebuilding an NFL program is just a very different beast than rebuilding a college program.  

If a team ever hires a college coach ever again, that coach should at least have a few years of coaching a position group in the NFL at some point (Rhule was an Assistant OL Coach for the Giants for 1 year in 2012 but that really isn't enough). 

You have to be ready for the speed of the game and how to handle professionals before you take on that kind of job.  Going straight from college to the pros without any NFL experience is a recipe for disaster.

37 minutes ago, doitny said:

but Gase got us JD so.....

weird how the worst hiring lead to one of the best

The bar has been set so low for so long, but yes, JD has been a big step on the road to somewhat respectable.

Next stop: legitimately competitive

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

Poverty ass team? A team that gives Darnold $19M guaranteed site-unseen isn't afraid to spend... the problem is spending wisely.

I can't imagine Rhule actually said this.  But if he did, yeah, paying a QB $18.9M to NOT play football for your team isn't evidence of a team unwilling to spend.

Rhule coached at Temple.  I highly doubt they were big spenders.  Figure it the f**k out.  

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Rumors that there is a fire sale happening down in CAR, JD get on the phone 

Teams calling about DJ Moore etc ?

I don't think they'd have a fire sale that gets rid of players that'd make the HC job more attractive to future candidates in January.

More likely any fire sale would be for guys they figure no one wants, and even if they eat salary to get a draft pick it's still better than eating all of the salary and getting no draft pick (or relying on the hope of a compensatory pick, which requires a GM to stay away from some players he wants in March). 

So then the candidates would be guys like Mayfield & Darnold from a team that needs or wants an upgraded backup (or even emergency start or two) like maybe Miami. Carolina would still have to eat pretty much all of the QBs' contracts, but they were eating it anyway and this way they may be able to pry at least some draft pick for the upcoming draft.

A new HC is going to want to see the ability to draft new players to get a rebuild underway asap, and the trade deadline to stockpile as many picks as they can is just 3 weeks away.

Then again they're 1-4 not 1-8, so who knows.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

1484664486_Screenshot_20221010-124855_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1c980778591a5a6a08d516d7b02c38ef.jpg

At the moment Baker's the worst starter in the NFL. You can't get worse than dead last in total offense and worst QBR in the NFL.

In 2020, Sam Darnold ranked 35th in the league in QB Rating.  Lowest in the league among qualifying passers.  Below the likes of Dwayne Haskins and Drew Lock.  He did manage to rank # 30 in 2021, but there were only 31 qualifying passers that year.

Meanwhile, in DVOA, Darnold was # 33 in the league last year.  Below Tyler Huntley.  He was also # 35 in DVOA in 2020. 

Yes, it CAN still get worse than being ranked # 32.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

How about this one. Carolina  fans rather have Darnold as there QB. Read there message board. 

You keep saying that, every week., and I keep giving you the same answer. Here we go again….

I know you love Darnold but I live in the Carolinas. Nobody with any football sense wants Sam Darnold playing QB for the Panthers. 

1. the lunatic fringe portion of a losing team’s fan base wants to play the backup QB they wanted shot to the moon all last year and this preseason. Shocker.

2. Darnold is so bad, he’s actually #3 on their depth chart. So he’s not even next man up. He’s a stiff.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

This is a Sean Payton destination.

owner has piss away money.

will prob give full authority over football ops to get him

gonna have top 1-3 pick next year

I’ll believe it once they have a top pick secured because I have a hard time believing he’s walking into a complete mess at QB 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You keep saying that, every week., and I keep giving you the same answer. Here we go again….

I know you love Darnold but I live in the Carolinas. Nobody with any football sense wants Sam Darnold playing QB for the Panthers. 

1. the lunatic fringe portion of a losing team’s fan base wants to play the backup QB they wanted shot to the moon all last year and this preseason. Shocker.

2. Darnold is so bad, he’s actually #3 on their depth chart. So he’s not even next man up. He’s a stiff.

Hey, no problem. I'm just repeating  what Carolina fans have been saying about the worst active NFL QB this league has seen in some time. Enjoy Baker.