Rhule Fired

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He had McCaffrey against New England in Week 9.  Result:  16-33, 172 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs.  Pats 24, Panthers 6.

So a passer rating that’s 10 points higher than Baker Mayfield so far for the season? Cool. 

Honestly, I don’t care. I just think it’s funny that @Green Ghost continues to carry water for Mayfield. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

So a passer rating that’s 10 points higher than Baker Mayfield so far for the season? Cool. 

Honestly, I don’t care. I just think it’s funny that @Green Ghost continues to carry water for Mayfield. 

Mayfield definitely sucks (and to a shocking degree this year) I just agree with GG that he's still better than Darnold.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mayfield definitely sucks (and to a shocking degree this year) I just agree with GG that he's still better than Darnold.  

Agreed 

Darnold has never played as well as Baker did in year 1 or at times in year 2 

Baker has regressed hard tho. Still don’t quite understand what happened to him. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

No, I’ve said a few times Baker has been really bad this season. Here’s the thing though… on his worst day he’s better than Darnold.

I'm not so sure.   Mayfield is an offense killer

DJ Moore with  Cam Newton, Kyle Allen, Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold, PJ Walker:

2019 - 87/1175/13.5/4

2020 - 66/1193/18.1/4

2021- 93/1157/12.4/4

DJ Moore in 2022 with Mayfield:

17/197/11.6/1 or on pace for 54/630/11.6/3

Want to do CMC next?  Or OBJ in Cleveland?  I'm not an OBJ fan, but in retrospect, maybe he and his father were right about Mayfield.  He turns elite receivers into garbage.  He had one of the best OLs in the NFL in Cleveland and a top flight running game and couldn't move the ball through the air.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

He earned that firing but his alleged comment is not entirely wrong either. The roster is nothing to be excited about. I have to imagine the GM feels his seat getting hot, especially with his terrible QB decisions. 

I suspect the owner is preparing to clean house to bring in Payton, too. 

He's basically doing what I suggested a few weeks ago -- whoever wants a shot at Peyton needs to clear the decks early and overwhelm him with an offer that takes him off the market before the coaching carousel starts. Might work too. Cowboys -- most likely landing spot -- probably not moving on and if the stress of NO got to him, Charlotte is about as low-key as you can get and be an NFL HC.

31 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'm not so sure.   Mayfield is an offense killer

DJ Moore with  Cam Newton, Kyle Allen, Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold, PJ Walker:

2019 - 87/1175/13.5/4

2020 - 66/1193/18.1/4

2021- 93/1157/12.4/4

DJ Moore in 2022 with Mayfield:

17/197/11.6/1 or on pace for 54/630/11.6/3

Want to do CMC next?  Or OBJ in Cleveland?  I'm not an OBJ fan, but in retrospect, maybe he and his father were right about Mayfield.  He turns elite receivers into garbage.  He had one of the best OLs in the NFL in Cleveland and a top flight running game and couldn't move the ball through the air.  

Go back and look at Mayfield’s career #’s Darnold’s. If you think Sam is a better QB, I’m not going to be able to convince you otherwise.

I have no problem admitting Baker has been really bad this year, but gtfoh with comparing him to Darnold.

That’s slander. ?

39 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Go back and look at Mayfield’s career #’s Darnold’s. If you think Sam is a better QB, I’m not going to be able to convince you otherwise.

I have no problem admitting Baker has been really bad this year, but gtfoh with comparing him to Darnold.

That’s slander. ?

Literally no one cares 

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s slander. ?

I'm not comparing Mayfield to Darnold. I am saying Mayfield is epically bad this season and that he has been bad for multiple seasons.  Mayfield is playing worse this season than every single starting QB in the NFL and worse than all prior Carolina QBs over the past three seasons.  I am saying that Mayfield's play this season was a major reason Rhule is unemployed today.  People thought he would improve the offense, but he has buried it.  I am NOT defending Darnold. I wanted Darnold off the roster after 2020 and wanted a QB drafted.  Darnold's best hope right now is to stick around as a back up for a few years.  He is terrible.  Mayfield is just dreadful this season.  If you can/want to defend Mayfield, go ahead and give it a shot.  Any QB would be an improvement in Carolina right now over Mayfield. Any QB.  

2 hours ago, slats said:

@Green Ghost is skip bayless confirmed. Only two people I've seen still holding onto the baker mayfield dream. 

The list of college HCs that become first time NFL HCs (in the last 20 years or so) that have had success it pretty much Harbaugh. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

He's basically doing what I suggested a few weeks ago -- whoever wants a shot at Peyton needs to clear the decks early and overwhelm him with an offer that takes him off the market before the coaching carousel starts. Might work too. Cowboys -- most likely landing spot -- probably not moving on and if the stress of NO got to him, Charlotte is about as low-key as you can get and be an NFL HC.

NO owns Paytons right so the team that signs him will have to throw draft picks at NO. Carolina is nothing.  He is not going to a complete rebuild. He will want to go somewhere that has a QB or the draft capital and position to go get one. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

NO owns Paytons right so the team that signs him will have to throw draft picks at NO. Carolina is nothing.  He is not going to a complete rebuild. He will want to go somewhere that has a QB or the draft capital and position to go get one. 

Payton left the Saints because it was too stressful for him. He's not going to coach a dumpster fire team any time soon.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, doitny said:

whats the point when Zach is going to throw it to him 2 times a game. im afraid that yesterday's game with the... run...run..run and make Zach throw it as little as possible will be the gameplan going forward. if that happens its such a waste of a talented WR group that we ever had.

Run run run run make ‘em stack the box then open a can a whoop azz

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Matt Rhule files $5M complaint against Panthers, source confirms

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Former Carolina Panthers coach Matt Rhule has filed an arbitration suit against the team seeking about $5 million in offset severance compensation, according to a source with knowledge of the suit.

Rhule, now the head coach at Nebraska, is seeking money he believes the Panthers still owe him after he was fired Oct. 10, the source said. Rhule was hired as Nebraska coach in late November.

Rhule hired New York City employment attorney John Singer of Singer Deutsch LLP to file the complaint with the NFL, which likely will decide how the arbitration is handled. Jay Morakis of M Group Strategic Communications, which works with the legal team, declined to comment.

A Panthers spokesperson also declined to comment.

CBS Sports first reported on the lawsuit, which was filed last week.

Rhule was fired five weeks into the 2022 season with an 11-27 overall record in two-plus seasons after signing a seven-year, $62 million deal in January 2020. After the introduction of Frank Reich as the Panthers' new coach Tuesday, team owner David Tepper said he made a mistake in hiring a "CEO-type head coach'' in Rhule.

Rhule was owed roughly $34 million by the Panthers after his dismissal. He received a reported eight-year, $72 million deal with Nebraska that offset most of that.

The suit, according to the source, doesn't specifically mention the exact amount of money being disputed by the team. But the source said the approximate amount is $5 million based on the contract terms.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35570005/matt-rhule-sues-panthers-pay-firing-source-confirms