Rhule Fired

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Matt Rhule files $5M complaint against Panthers, source confirms

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Former Carolina Panthers coach Matt Rhule has filed an arbitration suit against the team seeking about $5 million in offset severance compensation, according to a source with knowledge of the suit.

Rhule, now the head coach at Nebraska, is seeking money he believes the Panthers still owe him after he was fired Oct. 10, the source said. Rhule was hired as Nebraska coach in late November.

Rhule hired New York City employment attorney John Singer of Singer Deutsch LLP to file the complaint with the NFL, which likely will decide how the arbitration is handled. Jay Morakis of M Group Strategic Communications, which works with the legal team, declined to comment.

A Panthers spokesperson also declined to comment.

CBS Sports first reported on the lawsuit, which was filed last week.

Rhule was fired five weeks into the 2022 season with an 11-27 overall record in two-plus seasons after signing a seven-year, $62 million deal in January 2020. After the introduction of Frank Reich as the Panthers' new coach Tuesday, team owner David Tepper said he made a mistake in hiring a "CEO-type head coach'' in Rhule.

Rhule was owed roughly $34 million by the Panthers after his dismissal. He received a reported eight-year, $72 million deal with Nebraska that offset most of that.

The suit, according to the source, doesn't specifically mention the exact amount of money being disputed by the team. But the source said the approximate amount is $5 million based on the contract terms.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35570005/matt-rhule-sues-panthers-pay-firing-source-confirms

well if CEO type head coaches is an issue - the NY Jets have a problem. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Anderson is the 27th-highest paid WR in the league.  Him being a better WR4 than Braxton Berrios would be isn't the winning argument you think it is.

Not like our QB could’ve hit him on a go route anyway 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Anderson is the 27th-highest paid WR in the league.  Him being a better WR4 than Braxton Berrios would be isn't the winning argument you think it is.

Nah. My posts were about 1) I liked Robbie (the artist formerly known as Robby). I wasn't referring to his current status. 2) Berrios sucks. 

8 minutes ago, pointman said:

Nah. My posts were about 1) I liked Robbie (the artist formerly known as Robby). I wasn't referring to his current status. 2) Berrios sucks. 

Well yeah but in order for him to have been kept he’d have still needed to be, at minimum, the 27th highest-paid WR here all the same.  Heavy price tag for a WR4.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well yeah but in order for him to have been kept he’d have still needed to be, at minimum, the 27th highest-paid WR here all the same.  Heavy price tag for a WR4.

This really isn't true. His extension was / would've been in the $12MM range and maybe $20MM guaranteed.

That the Panthers then gave him an extension after just 1 season is on them.

Also the guys signed to replace him haven't been models of reliability themselves. What are the dollars per yard for Perriman and Davis?

He has no brains, but it's not like the Jets massively upgraded the veteran receivers who took his place either.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

This really isn't true. His extension was / would've been in the $12MM range and maybe $20MM guaranteed.

That the Panthers then gave him an extension after just 1 season is on them.

Also the guys signed to replace him haven't been models of reliability themselves. What are the dollars per yard for Perriman and Davis?

He has no brains, but it's not like the Jets massively upgraded the veteran receivers who took his place either.

Don’t think Robbie was ever staying here he wanted to be with Rhule. Karmic justice that Darnold boomeranged back into his lap.

• Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

Don’t think Robbie was ever staying here he wanted to be with Rhule. Karmic justice that Darnold boomeranged back into his lap.

He wanted to stay here until it'd reached a point where his injury risk in finishing out the season, and earning FA status, wasn't worth it.

The time to extend him, when he wanted it, was after declining to trade him at the deadline when the Jets got offers for him (iirc it was leaked or alleged the top one was Baltimore's 4th, but it's not like I was on the phone call). So they turned that down, played him for 9 more games, and then lost him anyway.

When the Jets turned down others & it was clear he wasn't getting traded, Robby was tweeting how happy he was to still be on the Jets.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

He wanted to stay here until it'd reached a point where his injury risk in finishing out the season, and earning FA status, wasn't worth it.

The time to extend him, when he wanted it, was after declining to trade him at the deadline when the Jets got offers for him (iirc it was leaked or alleged the top one was Baltimore's 4th, but it's not like I was on the phone call). So they turned that down, played him for 9 more games, and then lost him anyway.

When the Jets turned down others & it was clear he wasn't getting traded, Robby was tweeting how happy he was to still be on the Jets.

Yeah well Macc was always petrified of pulling the extension trigger

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Rhule was a CEO type head coach?  Makes perfect sense that the Jets intended to hire a CEO type head coach and then dictate his assistants.

I have a feeling that woody’s idea of a CEO differs greatly from those who have actually been a CEO