8+ wins this year; Legit Contenders next year?

I’ve been consistent in my opinion we need 8+ wins this year to be on track for a huge break out in 2023.

What I love are the foundational seeds for success, mainly finding different ways to win in the 4th quarter.  Outstanding special teams mixed with elite WR play (Browns); franchise level QB play (Pitt); relentless rushing attack (Miami).

Besides continued growth from our youngsters & coaching staff, this is how I see us taking the next & possible final step.  (Always interested in your thoughts if you were the Jets GM).

——————————————————————

1. Let Fant & McGovern walk.  Cut Mosley & Tomlinson, freeing up at least $26M in salary cap… more if they are designated as post June 1 cuts.  Tomlinson’s $8M+ in dead cap space hurts BUT not as much as his play.  A 30 plus year old guard might not get his groove back and each week that passes tells us this is not Stella Part 2

2. I’m inclined to keep both Lawson & Davis.  Both are playing well at premium positions and are the types of experienced vets you need to make a deep run

3. Re-sign Alexander and/or Quincy W and potentially Rankins if continue to play well & stay healthy

4. Use the freed up salary cap selectively in free agency

- Upgrade & get younger at both Center & Free Safety.  Secondary will now be complete & a major strength of the team

5. Use premium draft picks (rounds 1-3)

- Round 1:  Offensive Tackle who can play guard for a year to replace Tomlinson & then assume starting LT in 2024.  This assumes of course there is someone who fits this mold

- Round 2:  Middle Linebacker to replace Mosley

- Round 3:  Defensive Tackle to leapfrog Rankins in the rotation behind Q and JFM (who slides inside permanently)

——————————————————————

Starting Offense

QB:  Wilson 

RB:  Hall

WR1:  Wilson

WR2:  Moore

WR3:  Davis

WR4:  Berrios

TE1:  Conklin

TE2:  Uzomah

LT:  Brown

LG:  First round (1 year transition)

Center:  Free agency

RG:  AVT

RT:  Mitchell 

Swing Tackles:  Becton / first round

Starting Defense

Edge:  Johnson

DT:  JFM

DT:  Q

Edge:  Lawson

MLB:  Second Round

Will:  Kwon Alexander or Sherwood

Sam:  Q Williams

CB:  Sauce

CB:  DJ

Slot:  Carter 2

FS:  Free agency

SS:  Whitehead

um, can't really pick who you are going to get in which round - it all depends on how it plays out; It is very unlikely you are going to get a big, fast LB in the 2nd; and while AVT pulled it off, it is often difficult to transition from G to T and any T that can play LT well or can play both T and G are likely to be gone before we pick this year.

What's happening here?

This thread, started by a man who calls himself OtherwiseHappyInLife is titled "8 wins this year, legit contenders next year", reeks of positivity. 

The first post by someone else, SuicidalSince98, asks "Can't we just enjoy the moment?".

Stay on brand, people.

Why isn't anyone talking about how Zach Wilson threw to the wrong shoulder on the Breece Hall swing pass to right where he almost scored - "ThANkS, ZaCh, MaYbE iF yOu dIdN'T sUcK BrEeCe CoUld'Ve ScoRED".

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Can we just enjoy the moment? 

Exactly 

so many dolphins tears still sitting there waiting to be ingested. 

Don't let me have all the fun! Enjoy being 3-2. Technically, all we are guaranteed is no worse than 3-14. Enjoy this moment. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’ve been consistent in my opinion we need 8+ wins this year to be on track for a huge break out in 2023.

What I love are the foundational seeds for success, mainly finding different ways to win in the 4th quarter.  Outstanding special teams mixed with elite WR play (Browns); franchise level QB play (Pitt); relentless rushing attack (Miami).

Besides continued growth from our youngsters & coaching staff, this is how I see us taking the next & possible final step.  (Always interested in your thoughts if you were the Jets GM).

——————————————————————

1. Let Fant & McGovern walk.  Cut Mosley & Tomlinson, freeing up at least $26M in salary cap… more if they are designated as post June 1 cuts.  Tomlinson’s $8M+ in dead cap space hurts BUT not as much as his play.  A 30 plus year old guard might not get his groove back and each week that passes tells us this is not Stella Part 2

2. I’m inclined to keep both Lawson & Davis.  Both are playing well at premium positions and are the types of experienced vets you need to make a deep run

3. Re-sign Alexander and/or Quincy W and potentially Rankins if continue to play well & stay healthy

4. Use the freed up salary cap selectively in free agency

- Upgrade & get younger at both Center & Free Safety.  Secondary will now be complete & a major strength of the team

5. Use premium draft picks (rounds 1-3)

- Round 1:  Offensive Tackle who can play guard for a year to replace Tomlinson & then assume starting LT in 2024.  This assumes of course there is someone who fits this mold

- Round 2:  Middle Linebacker to replace Mosley

- Round 3:  Defensive Tackle to leapfrog Rankins in the rotation behind Q and JFM (who slides inside permanently)

——————————————————————

Starting Offense

QB:  Wilson 

RB:  Hall

WR1:  Wilson

WR2:  Moore

WR3:  Davis

WR4:  Berrios

TE1:  Conklin

TE2:  Uzomah

LT:  Brown

LG:  First round (1 year transition)

Center:  Free agency

RG:  AVT

RT:  Mitchell 

Swing Tackles:  Becton / first round

Starting Defense

Edge:  Johnson

DT:  JFM

DT:  Q

Edge:  Lawson

MLB:  Second Round

Will:  Kwon Alexander or Sherwood

Sam:  Q Williams

CB:  Sauce

CB:  DJ

Slot:  Carter 2

FS:  Free agency

SS:  Whitehead

- Cut Tomlinson? Really? He's 30 and takes care of himself. Could get 4-6 good years. He's a beast and he doesn't miss games. Coaching staff loves his attitude and leadership. He's not going anywhere

- The way this o line has shook out the last few years, might need Fant as insurance. We wish we still had Morgan Moses. 

- There is no guarantee Mehki B will be back. I see you list his as a swing tackle, but who has any confidence he will be back?

- I don't know the dislike in McGovern. I know he's not top tier, but he's been pretty solid. And we need consistency on the line. We can't keep switching every game or two. Is he overpaid or is a contract year coming for him?

- Agree with keeping Kwon. Keep him as long as he is healthy. Injuries are his kryptonite.