Davante Adams pushed a cameraman down after the game.

40 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I tapped some old lady's ankle with my shopping cart earlier in ShopRite.  I'm now up for attempted manslaughter charges.  Turning myself in later after I drink a bunch of wine.

So how old?

i find that to be a clever trick to start a conversation and then who knows

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The players are part of a union the NFLPA which means they collectively bargained as a group and signed away their right to charge each other with assault. Because make no mistake every hit on the field is an assault charge IRL. 

the media never signed such a document. It's not like a cameraman "not paying attention" and it wasn't by accident. Adams didn't help this guy up like it was an accident he saw him, shoved him and walked over him like he did it on purpose

the people who are like "Damn we've gotten soft here" are pining for a day that never existed.

There was never a time when a player shoving a cameraman to the ground on purpose was cool. Accidents happen this wasn't an accident. Adams was out of line and there's no version of society where what he did was justified. 

A boxer in 1910 going out to the crowd and punching a reporter would face similar punishment 

Nobody is saying he was justified.  He shouldn't be crucified for it or defined by it.  If a professional boxer shoved someone to the ground who crossed in front of him without looking pushing a metal photography rack in 1910 the press wouldn't even cover it.  

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

So you're adamant that the law be enforced, but could care less if the consequence is?

Is that what you took out of what I said?

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

I guess you're a fan of the "no cash bail" where people commit a crime, get "arrested", and then are out the next day to commit the same crime all over again?

You guessed wrong. What did I say that would insinuate this?

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

But I find it hard to believe if you pushed someone in a moment of anger that you'd think it was "only fair" to have to stand before a judge and potentially be found guilty of criminal activity . . .

You assume way too much.

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He shouldn't be crucified for it or defined by it.  If a professional boxer shoved someone to the ground who crossed in front of him without looking pushing a metal photography rack in 1910 the press wouldn't even cover it.  

That's a version of America you've imagined my friend 

if Joe Lewis shoved a reporter it would be covered. It's not like the heat of the moment is a defense. 

There are soldiers on the front lines of wars who go through 100x worse than Adams on MNF and they are expected to not go randomly violent among their coworkers. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if Joe Lewis shoved a reporter it would be covered. It's not like the heat of the moment is a defense. 

There are soldiers on the front lines of wars who go through 100x worse than Adams on MNF and they are expected to not go randomly violent among their coworkers. 

In Joe Lewis' day , a certain organization would have found out where the photographer worked and he would have gone the way of the Flash Bulb - poof . 

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Is that what you took out of what I said?

You guessed wrong. What did I say that would insinuate this?

You assume way too much.

You're probably right.

But when you say a civilized society needs rules, but then say you don't care if he actually pays the price for that breaking that rule, I'm not sure how else I was supposed to take it.

To me the only issue is calling it a crime.  A poster gave the example that pushing a secretary would get him fired, but didn't mention anything about getting arrested.  That's where I draw the line -- Adams should be fined/suspended by his employer, but involving law enforcement is WAY overboard IMO, whether he actually ends up being convicted on it or not . . .

48 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

This honestly confuses me (as you're not the only one to say it).

So is the act what you believe he should be punished for, or his response to the act?  Is he being charged with a crime because he pushed someone, or because he didn't give a good enough apology for pushing someone?

I have no doubt this sounds like a sarcastic post, but I'm truly asking -- what did Adams do that "deserves" law enforcement getting involved?

To me someone acting quickly or “blacking out” whatever you want to call it can happen *during sports* The moment after is where you can make amends. Like when Clemens had Piazza’s bat do I think he made a decision to throw it at him or did he just react without realizing what he was doing. I’d say react. Problem is Clemens then went continuing being Clemens. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

To me someone acting quickly or “blacking out” whatever you want to call it can happen *during sports* The moment after is where you can make amends. Like when Clemens had Piazza’s bat so I think he made a decision to throw it at him or did he just react? I’d say react. 

DId Clemens make amends right after ? 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

In Joe Lewis' day , a certain organization would have found out where the photographer worked and he would have gone the way of the Flash Bulb - poof . 

yeah

screw that poor freelance photographer with no health insurance 

that's what he gets for *checks notes* walking in front of a millionaire 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Civilized society wouldn’t allow football period.

We already do.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

You don’t walk in a crowd with you head down leading with a camera and rack.  

Personally, no. I don't, but if I did, I would hope that somebody wouldn't shove me to the ground because I wasn't paying attention. Being an absentminded bonehead doesn't absolve someone else from the consequences of their intentional actions. If Adams had only bumped into the cameraman because he was caught off-guard, this wouldn't have been an issue. He intentionally, and forcefully shoved someone to the ground.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Adams was wrong.   He knows it.  He apologized immediately.

False. He continued to walk without checking on the guy he just shoved to the ground. He "apologized" later on and placed the blame on the cameraman. An apology doesn't have a justification.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Civilized society doesn’t persecute people for a minor transgression that they apologized for.

If he had actually apologized, you might be correct. He gave the ole "you made me do it" apology. 

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

President Trump awarded the Medal of Honor to former SEAL Team 6 officer Britt Slabinski. There are well documented allegations of war crimes committed by Slabinski in Afghanistan, including the killing, torture and dismemberment of unarmed Afghan men. Slabinski is the 12th living person to be granted a Medal of Honor in relation to the invasion and occupation of Afghanistan.

8 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

But when you say a civilized society needs rules, but then say you don't care if he actually pays the price for that breaking that rule, I'm not sure how else I was supposed to take it.

Consequences for breaking the law is part of a civilized society. There is no civility in a society where you get to push people because they are in your way. 

10 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

To me the only issue is calling it a crime.

I don't decide what is or isn't a crime. Assault and battery are crimes. In this case, it would only be battery. There was no assault, by the definition of law. 

12 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Adams should be fined/suspended by his employer, but involving law enforcement is WAY overboard IMO, whether he actually ends up being convicted on it or not . . .

I will concede that this could have been settled without getting law enforcement involved, but I also don't have a problem with someone pressing charges. I wasn't the one who was pushed. Would I have went to the police? Most likely not. 

17 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Consequences for breaking the law is part of a civilized society. There is no civility in a society where you get to push people because they are in your way. 

I don't decide what is or isn't a crime. Assault and battery are crimes. In this case, it would only be battery. There was no assault, by the definition of law. 

I will concede that this could have been settled without getting law enforcement involved, but I also don't have a problem with someone pressing charges. I wasn't the one who was pushed. Would I have went to the police? Most likely not. 

The USA hasn't been a civil society since ever.  The National anthem that's played before every game is about bombing the crap out of people we don't agree with.  

17 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He was charged with misdemeanor assault, so I guess you have the same problem with it as I do . . .

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The USA hasn't been a civil society since ever.  The National anthem that's played before every game is about bombing the crap out of people we don't agree with.  

I don't want to get into a semantics debate. The USA is a civilized society. We have a government, laws, and rules that we abide by. 

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You guessed wrong again. Why do you feel the need to tell me what I am thinking?

LOL so you're ok with someone being charged with assault after stating it clearly wasn't assault. 

Now that I know you're not interested in a rational discussion it makes it much easier for me to walk away.  . .

11 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

LOL so you're ok with someone being charged with assault after stating it clearly wasn't assault. 

Are you actually laughing out loud because I was mistaken in my definition of assault vs battery? States have different legal definitions of assault and battery. Some states define assault as the threat of violence. Other states define battery as causing physical harm. Not sure if laughing out loud is warranted, but I hope that you got some good cackles. 

16 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Now that I know you're not interested in a rational discussion it makes it much easier for me to walk away.  . .

I was attempting to have a rational conversation, but you decided to go Cathy Newman on me.