NY Jets OL racks up its best numbers of the year vs. Dolphins

LIJetsFan

Wonder who is odd man out if/when Fant returns?  If Herbig keeps it up, and AVT can hold down the RT spot, does that make Fant a bench warmer?  Or does AVT slide back into RG?  I'm assuming Max returns to his back up tackle role ahead of McDermott once he's healthy.

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Wonder who is odd man out if/when Fant returns?  If Herbig keeps it up, and AVT can hold down the RT spot, does that make Fant a bench warmer?  Or does AVT slide back into RG?  I'm assuming Max returns to his back up tackle role ahead of McDermott once he's healthy.

Finally finally finally, we have become a team with "good" problems to solve.  Not just the OL as you site above but also the WR room and the DL room.  Go Jets! 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

14 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

If the OLine stays as is & they continue  playing the way they’ve been, Fant & Mitchell will be swing tackles the rest of this season… Next year depends on a lot unknowns… Brown will be 38 & Becton is still a question mark.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

thats a hard question to answer. like the article said Herbig is a starter quality OG. it will be a few weeks more before Fant can come back and if he keeps playing like this i dont know how you sit him. i have a feeling Salah will give Fant the RT job when he is ready.

20 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I, personally, would lean toward moving AVT back inside.  But ultimately it comes down to basic logic.

How big of an upgrade is AVT over Herbig..

How big of a downgrade is Fant to AVT

I just think the AVT upgrade must be huge inside.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

he oline has been maligned and rightly so but allit took was for the guys who have been playing together to get into the game at the same time.  of course avt's ability to fill either tackle spot has been a huge bright spot.  hopefully the left side of the line continues to hold up.  and it also looks like la fleur is using more alignments that use the te or rb to pass protect.  there are some really good things happening on offense.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I, personally, would lean toward moving AVT back inside.  But ultimately it comes down to basic logic.

How big of an upgrade is AVT over Herbig..

How big of a downgrade is Fant to AVT

I just think the AVT upgrade must be huge inside.

Agreed. They were excited when they snatched Herbig on waivers, and that seems to be paying dividends. Fant is not a great RT. If this starting five can put together a couple good weeks, they could easily decide not to fix what isn’t broken. Fant comes back as the swing OT, and Mitchell gets to work in the weight room - like he was supposed to. Brown’s shoulder is being held together in a brace, so that’s a dodgy situation, anyway. 

I’d also like to get AVT back to guard, where I believe he’s an all pro level player, but I could see them riding out this year as is and then making some decisions based on Brown’s health and contract, Fant’s market value, and Becton’s health and state of mind. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, slats said:

Wow man, harsh indictment. 

Pointing out the awesome magical formula that getting the ball out quicker makes the offensive line look better. I had previously read that our offensive linemen were so terrible that Zach Wilson had to heroically hold the ball for four seconds per play while running with his back to the line of scrimmage. Now, again magically, the offensive line is pretty good. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, slats said:

Agreed. They were excited when they snatched Herbig on waivers, and that seems to be paying dividends. Fant is not a great RT. If this starting five can put together a couple good weeks, they could easily decide not to fix what isn’t broken. Fant comes back as the swing OT, and Mitchell gets to work in the weight room - like he was supposed to. Brown’s shoulder is being held together in a brace, so that’s a dodgy situation, anyway. 

I’d also like to get AVT back to guard, where I believe he’s an all pro level player, but I could see them riding out this year as is and then making some decisions based on Brown’s health and contract, Fant’s market value, and Becton’s health and state of mind. 

Is Douglas a waiver god? Seems like he snags a starter every year on waivers. I'll answer. Yes. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pointing out the awesome magical formula that getting the ball out quicker makes the offensive line look better. I had previously read that our offensive linemen were so terrible that Zach Wilson had to heroically hold the ball for four seconds per play while running with his back to the line of scrimmage. Now, again magically, the offensive line is pretty good. 

Cool. So the second year QB in his second game action of his second season is demonstrating rapid improvement in getting the ball out on time? Seems like good news. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Cool. So the second year QB in his second game action of his second season is demonstrating rapid improvement in getting the ball out on time? Seems like good news. 

Tom is all twisted up right now.  He just gave Zach all the credit for the improved offensive line play and didnt even mention getting Duane Brown back as a factor.  Oh man, this juicy! 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

I didn't know much about Herbig. I presumed he was an older player that Philly waived due to a numbers game. Wow, did I have that wrong. He's 24. He was projected as a mid round draft pick out of Stanford, but went undrafted after running the slowest 40 (5.41) in the NFL Combine. 

Nice work JD! If Herbig continues to improve, the Jets have their long term answers at G in AVT and Herbig. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

^Doesn’t know ball

In addition to my platinum status on yahoo fantasy football, I was once ranked in the top 10% on Madden Football and was a 2nd alternative in a sub-regional qualifying qualifier for a national competition. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I didn't know much about Herbig. I presumed he was an older player that Philly waived due to a numbers game. Wow, did I have that wrong. He's 24. He was projected as a mid round draft pick out of Stanford, but went undrafted after running the slowest 40 (5.41) in the NFL Combine. 

Nice work JD! If Herbig continues to improve, the Jets have their long term answers at G in AVT and Herbig. 

JD was familiar with Herbig since they were both in Philly... 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/5/6/23060213/nate-herbig-reunited-joe-douglas-new-york-jets-offensive-guard-center-line-nfl-news

Nate Herbig didn’t last very long on the waiver wire.

With the fourth-highest spot in the claiming order (which mirrors the 2022 NFL Draft order), the New York Jets acquired former Philadelphia Eagles interior offensive lineman Nate Herbig.

News of the Eagles parting ways with Herbig emerged earlier this week but the team didn’t officially cut him until Wednesday. Perhaps the Birds were holding out hope that some team would swoop in at the last minute to trade for him. But that clearly didn’t work out.

Herbig is reunited with former Eagles vice president of player personnel and current Jets general manager Joe Douglas in North Jersey. The two briefly overlapped in Philly after Herbig signed with the Birds as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2019. Herbig figures to compete for a backup guard/center role with the Jets, essentially reprising his role with the Eagles.

The Birds clearly found Herbig expendable after selecting Cam Jurgens in the 2022 NFL Draft. This despite offering him a $2.4 million restricted free agent tender earlier this offseason. They’ll wish Herbig well after being a solid backup option for them.

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:31 AM, JiFapono said:

Can’t help but think the return of Duane Brown was huge in that performance.  And obviously team MVP, AVT doing what he’s done has been remarkable.

Keep hearing Brown has a torn rotator cuff, but it must have been partially torn 4 weeks ago and is now mostly healed. They said surgery was an option back a month ago, and I know typically you need surgery for full tears, but that may be different in that area of the shoulder. Maybe even a partial tear could require surgery if there is pain involved. I have a major problem in my right shoulder where I damaged the rotator cuff and it always got sever pain when I raised it, but though I haven't had it checked out, even though it doesn't appear fully torn or I would think it would hurt much worse, I likely partially tore it and surgery would have resolved the issue. Instead I have just worked my way up with lateral raises using weights and now that I built the muscle in the shoulder I never feel pain for the most part.