How did Geno become good?

Facts

47 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So I've read all season about Geno playing well, but I hadn't actually watched him. I just watched his video against Denver (who the Jets just played) and Geno makes some ridiculous plays in this game. He's never looked like this, not even at West Virginia. 

He's basically played like that the entire season. If Seattle keeps winning he may get MVP consideration. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/27/2022 at 10:00 PM, Smashmouth said:

Its not getting better at the mental part of the game its how fast can they process information which is a mental thing. They know what to  do, they all do, but pressure makes it extremely hard and some can't over come that no matter how long they play

So are you suggesting that with more experience, and more games, they cannot process information faster? That goes against basic human cognitive ability

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

So are you suggesting that with more experience, and more games, they cannot process information faster? That goes against basic human cognitive ability

Sometimes there's a block they are not able to overcome. Many QB's have been ruined by getting beat down by 300 pound Lineman. A 2 to 3 second window and having to know what just about every player on the field is doing and also anticipating what the defense will be doing is a lot to handle that's why at a given time there are only a certain amount of elite QB's. There are outside influences on human Cognitive ability in the NFL some can deal with it, some can't and some just have an innate to handle it from the start . Why do you think players who have amazing physical skills and did fantastic in what amounts to a pressure free situation in college don't even come close to making it in the NFL ?

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Sometimes there's a block they are not able to overcome. Many QB's have been ruined by getting beat down by 300 pound Lineman. A 2 to 3 second window and having to know what just about every player on the field is doing and also anticipating what the defense will be doing is a lot to handle that's why at a given time there are only a certain amount of elite QB's. There are outside influences on human Cognitive ability in the NFL some can deal with it, some can't and some just have an innate to handle it from the start . Why do you think players who have amazing physical skills and did fantastic in what amounts to a pressure free situation in college don't even come close to making it in the NFL ?

Yes, but with time, experience and repetition - even the most complicated tasks can become second nature. 

Which, my guess, is what's happened with Geno..

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Some cant, that doesnt mean nobody can, and it shouldnt be the default that a young player cant do it

It would be interesting to see what the numbers looked like with reasonably "talented" QBs who either didn't get on the field or like Geno, spend years in backup exodus -- what their later success rate is. In theory, if they have the tools, and spend 5-8 years in practice-practice-practice mode, its not wild to think they can hold their own on Sunday.

That said, Geno's playing well above holding his own. He's making great reads and tight throws. 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, Facts said:

Ive been racking my brain trying to figure this out

He went from green puke to seattle elite.

WTF happened?

well normally I would say he grew up and is not such a dick anymore...but he probably is still a dick just not as big a dick...sorta like a smaller dick but a dick that can,  you know,  make a pass now and then, a dick that can pass with the nfl dicks on that team like Metcalf.  Doesn't hurt that he has one of the best WR in the game...surroundings matter a bit you know.

but obviously the real reason is he was drafted by dysfunctional Jets that had no dogs

Geno had a beyond terrible supporting cast when he was starting for the Jets... His best chance for a good supporting cast with Jets was the year he was set to start, and got his jaw broken.

Coming out of WV spread offense as a 2nd round pick it was wildly known Geno was a project that would be best served sitting in his first year.  That was the Jets plan as well.  He was only pressed into duty prematurely bc of the injury to Sanchez... after Rex put Sanchez back into a meaningless preseason game against the Giants.

Geno's career arc with the Jets had a very "same old jets" feel, and a lot of variability in his play.    He had a game with perfect QB rating, and a game where he threw 3 ints in a half. 

In Geno's first 17 games... he had:

• 2 300yds passing games AND
  • 3 multi touchdowns games with 0 interceptions AND
  • A bunch of "Sanchez/Darnold" like multi-turnover games as well.
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Some cant, that doesnt mean nobody can, and it shouldnt be the default that a young player cant do it

never said no one can , if you read my post I thought that was clear. But there is a very small amount of QB's that are terrible for years that turn it around

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

never said no one can , if you read my post I thought that was clear. But there is a very small amount of QB's that are terrible for years that turn it around

now that is true, but years ago QB's were given much, much more time to develop. I get it, you don't have as much time in todays contract structure, but the notion that a QB cannot get better at reading and reacting is fundamentally wrong. As is the asinine theory that goes around here that line, receivers, backs and coaching don't matter, its as dumb of a take as one can have

• Upvote 1