2022 Jets players you were wrong about?

Joyner - need to see his play be consistent but the start was God awful and I wanted him gone

Coaching Staff - I know you said player, but i was really down on them especially after the whole QW/Ubricht media nightmare and stupid receipts. Have to give them credit for the past few weeks but again - need to see it consistent from here on out. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Here’s my list.  Let’s all put our egos down for a minute and own up ;).

1. Braden Mann:  I wanted him shipped to Siberia after the Ravens game following a mediocre start to his NFL career.  He’s been a different player since, helping this team win games in multiple ways

2. Sheldon Rankins:  he was bad against the run & pass last year.  A complete turnaround this year & a major reason why our run defense is holding up ‘pretty well’.  One of the least talked about but most important players as a starting anchor on our Dline

3. Corey Davis:  To be fair, it’s not that I thought he wasn’t a good player but rather that he wasn’t a clutch player.  Taking one step further, I thought he was an anti-clutch player, the type of guy who makes plays that contribute to losses, not wins.  After dropping an easy third down early against the Ravens, he’s been Mr. Clutch on third downs and mostly in the second half.  ‘Mostly’ .. I can’t forget about the personal foul against the Bengals.  He’s also been a tremendous blocker out wide

Corey Davis! Period!!!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I would also add our entire special teams unit has been a pleasant surprise. On the contrary to what we’re used to, special teams has been seriously contributing to winning football games.

Special teams have been huge.

As was said earlier, Mann has been outstanding since week one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Here’s my list.  Let’s all put our egos down for a minute and own up ;).

1. Braden Mann:  I wanted him shipped to Siberia after the Ravens game following a mediocre start to his NFL career.  He’s been a different player since, helping this team win games in multiple ways

2. Sheldon Rankins:  he was bad against the run & pass last year.  A complete turnaround this year & a major reason why our run defense is holding up ‘pretty well’.  One of the least talked about but most important players as a starting anchor on our Dline

3. Corey Davis:  To be fair, it’s not that I thought he wasn’t a good player but rather that he wasn’t a clutch player.  Taking one step further, I thought he was an anti-clutch player, the type of guy who makes plays that contribute to losses, not wins.  After dropping an easy third down early against the Ravens, he’s been Mr. Clutch on third downs and mostly in the second half.  ‘Mostly’ .. I can’t forget about the personal foul against the Bengals.  He’s also been a tremendous blocker out wide

How is Joyner not on this list!? Everyone was ready to cut bait after the first two games (and the criticism was just). But he bounced back in a MAJOR way. 

My list:

POSITIVE

Joyner: See above. 

Greg The Leg: I didn't expect him to be as consistent or clutch as he has been. 

Sauce: I did not think he would be as good right out of the gate as he has been. Dude is dominating quality NFL #1/#2 receivers. 

Kwon: I did not think he would make as much of an impact as he has. 

NEGATIVE

CJ Uzomah: I thought he would make much more of an impact than he has so far. 

Mims: I thought this was going to be his year. To the extent that he would contribute SOMETHING! 

Becton: I know he got hurt. But he has been a huge disappointment. I was expecting BIG things. 

Ruckert: I wouldn't nec. call this negative in the sense that he underachieved. But I was expecting the Jets to use him more and by week 5 he would have already been involved in a number of impactful plays on offense. Seems like he is just not ready or the Jets CS don't have the trust to call plays for him.  

28 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Surprisingly bad — Laken Tomlinson has been awful.

This is actually not really accurate. 

No he has not been Pro-Bowl dominant. But he has been far from 'awful'. You can argue that he doesn't have a great PFF grade, maybe you can argue that he doesn't look great on tape, maybe you can argue that he isn't making the impact that he was brought here to make for the money the Jets are paying him, etc. 

But he has committed 1 penalty and given up zero sacks while starting all 5 games (on an o-line where guys have been dropping like flies). 

Again, maybe surprisingly bad if you expecting Pro Bowl dominance. But not awful.  

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

How is Joyner not on this list!? Everyone was ready to cut bait after the first two games (and the criticism was just). But he bounced back in a MAJOR way. 

My list:

POSITIVE

Joyner: See above. 

Greg The Leg: I didn't expect him to be as consistent or clutch as he has been. 

Sauce: I did not think he would be as good right out of the gate as he has been. Dude is dominating quality NFL #1/#2 receivers. 

Kwon: I did not think he would make as much of an impact as he has. 

NEGATIVE

CJ Uzomah: I thought he would make much more of an impact than he has so far. 

Mims: I thought this was going to be his year. To the extent that he would contribute SOMETHING! 

Becton: I know he got hurt. But he has been a huge disappointment. I was expecting BIG things. 

Ruckert: I wouldn't nec. call this negative in the sense that he underachieved. But I was expecting the Jets to use him more and by week 5 he would have already been involved in a number of impactful plays on offense. Seems like he is just not ready or the Jets CS don't have the trust to call plays for him.  

I thought about adding Joyner but I didn't really have much of an opinion formed before the first few games nor can I conclude that he's turned it around after a couple games.  The jury is still out on Joyner.

I feel I have a clearer view on Mann, Rankins, and Davis.  That's also why I don't have Uzomah and Ruckert.  TBD - think Uzomah needs to find his place in an offense deep with talent and Ruckert is sitting behind Conklin & Uzomah.

• Upvote 1

If we include posters here, I have a much more positive view of @Integrity28 :).  We were off to a rocky start but I admit I missed on that one.  We are now pals who like each others' posts.  LOL.

On the negative side, how about those that are so stuck to their (negative) opinions that their fandom cannot even bring them to say something/anything good about the target of their vitriol.  

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No he has not been Pro-Bowl dominant. But he has been far from 'awful'. You can argue that he doesn't have a great PFF grade, maybe you can argue that he doesn't look great on tape, maybe you can argue that he isn't making the impact that he was brought here to make for the money the Jets are paying him, etc. 

But he has committed 1 penalty and given up zero sacks while starting all 5 games (on an o-line where guys have been dropping like flies). 

Again, maybe surprisingly bad if you expecting Pro Bowl dominance. But not awful.  

He's also played next to a different LT almost every week which doesn't help. Having a level of comfortability that the guy next to you is going to do what you expect makes a difference. If we can get settled in at LT with competent play it should benefit Tomlinson.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's also played next to a different LT almost every week which doesn't help. Having a level of comfortability that the guy next to you is going to do what you expect makes a difference. If we can get settled in at LT with competent play it should benefit Tomlinson.

Absolutely. An OL is a unit, and a great one is always better than the sum of its parts. Continuity is key. This will be the first week they’re lining up the same five starters. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, PepPep said:

If PFF grades did not exist, would anyone even comment that Tomlinson has not looked good (or as good as expected)?  I think not.   I don't trust PFF grades, btw.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Absolutely. An OL is a unit, and a great one is always better than the sum of its parts. Continuity is key. This will be the first week they’re lining up the same five starters. 

Fant might experience some deja vu and find himself the backup swing tackle when healthy.

back to the original question ...

• I thought Becton was going to come back strong and prove all the doubters wrong. Hate to see this kid keep getting injured.
  • I thought Moore was going to come out and be a big time WR.
  • I thought Garrett Wilson was going to take more time to be effective as an NFL WR.
  • I also did not anticipate Sauce coming out of the gate being dominant in the NFL - extremely impressive at a position that you don't usually see that.

30 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He’s routinely blown up and driven into the backfield. I can’t count the number of times we’ve rushed for negative yardage because he’s pushed three yards into the backfield.

In terms of “negative plays” he stands out about as much as a guard can. He’s been absolutely terrible IMHO.

1 hour ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I would also add our entire special teams unit has been a pleasant surprise. On the contrary to what we’re used to, special teams has been seriously contributing to winning football games.

Not getting talked about enough, every unit is solid. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I really thought Uzomah and Conklin were going to bring back the two star TE offenses of the past. For the season, Uzomah has 3 catches for 17 whole yards, and although Conklin showed signs of turning it around prior to getting hurt, he started out the season terribly. Fumbles, drops, and whiffed blocks. 

I was also wrong about Garrett. Thought he'd take longer to make an impact. The guy is a route running freak of nature. I could watch him tear up grass all freaking day. He's seemingly open every single play - will be nice to have once we open it up and let Zach try to get it to him more.

I was also wrong about Sauce. His play to date has been off-the-charts. I really thought he was going to have his fair share of rookie issues including but not limited to tons of PI/D Holdings calls and blown coverages. I am so happy to be so wrong.

Everything else has been trending close to expectations. Zach hasn't done anything to make me think he's our FQB for the next decade, but despite that, on paper, we're a talented but inexperienced team so we are going to lose games and we're going to win games. Having three games against backup QBs helps a young team like this get valuable realtime experience and build confidence. The few things I absolutely nailed: I was super ******* right about Breece being a ******* stud!!!! However, I was also right about Mosley being bad. Thank the FA heavens for Kwon!

The thing I most want to be wrong about is Zach. I'm hoping this game against Rodgers helps with that.

Mosley--I thought he had very little in the tank

Tomlinson- I thought he was going to be an anchor..not a boat anchor

Mann--I was like meh..he is gonna be pretty good and is very versatile.

Moore--I thought he was gonna do big things

Fant--I thought he did not suck