BYU QB Zach Wilson 2020 Highlights... The Kid Is Really Good...

jetsons

There is a reason why he went #2 overall. He had a phenomenal junior year, and his talent truly popped off the tape. He was consistently making NFL caliber throws with very good accuracy, and his sneaky good athleticism allowed him to score a number of impressive rushing touchdowns as well.

After a shaky and injury plagued sophomore year, he was faced with a competition in camp and a threat to lose his job. Boy did he step up and elevate his game.

Perhaps we are seeing something similar in the NFL where things suddenly click for him.

Injuries are and always were the biggest question mark with him in my opinion.

• Upvote 4

I like the cut of this kids Jib.  

Jets better not screw this up by not screwing up their tank.  

—- 

Edit - I thought the rumors the niners wanted him with what at that time was assumed to be a late first was a little wild.  

Then I saw him in person the Houston game.  It was the first time I’d seen a college QB I knew would be an NFL star and really felt like he’d be an All time great.  I expected a lonely year this season though and am glad to see it’s coming together more now than the end of the season. 

He probably throws one of the prettiest balls I've ever seen, lots of rotational velocity on those spirals. Now he just needs to keep improving on his decision-making.

As an aside, early in that video he was doing a fair amount of traditional (under center) play action. We saw a bit more of that last week, too. Maybe that's a result of his (and the coaches) feeling that he's more comfortable with more of the playbook?

• Upvote 2

He played behind 25 year old linemen against mountain west foes 

He was injured in college and he's been injured every year so far as a pro 

I'm sure he's a nice dude and all but he's not built for life in the league 

All those saying otherwise are doing so out of hope not out of evidence 

I took a year off from the board because no one wanted to hear this bull the first time. But he's always hurt and he's going to get hurt again 

Maybe in year 9 he can get it together like Geno 

I'll still be here and the people who called him amazing will be on their next new username 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 7
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I took a year off from the board because no one wanted to hear this bull the first time. But he's always hurt and he's going to get hurt again 

I'll still be here and the people who called him amazing will be on their next new username 

Just to be clear, I never thought any of these guys were going to be any good.

54 minutes ago, bitonti said:

What if he gets so comfortable with his reads that he won’t allow the opportunity to get squared up shots on himself?  Like Brady.

He looked the most comfortable I’ve ever seen at the pro level last Sunday.

Hey you could be right, he could be one of these guys who could be hurt every year, but at the same time he could be like Phil Simms. Hurt multiple times early in his career, everyone thought he was injury prone, but then next to nothing over a long career.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Ladies and gentlemen the great Bitoni!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.1c67c3e42151257fa3ffd8cd5fecff2d.jpeg

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Yeah, because this guy was a vision ?

image.thumb.png.59ff1b641be54fadb6f4e8d14f090c3a.png

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What is the point of coming here and ripping on the kid?  Hes started less then a season of football and is getting better each game.  Just root for the kid.  Good grief..............

More diseased fans spreading their poison.  When we win a few more games and he looks good doing it, maybe you'll disappear again.

He has a right to post his opinion,  even if you don't  like it.

• Upvote 1

He has shown marked improvement, you can see it most times by standing in the pocket instead of his first move is running for his life. He still needs to shore up his accuracy on the shorter throws, as he's still throwing behind the receivers sometimes. The next thing he needs to work on is his stupid habit and the most infuriating thing about him is running backwards when line containment breaks down. He loses to many yards on sacks that are unnecessary. LEARN to throw the ball away.

• Sympathy 1

He's actually really struggled with the off-platform stuff and improvised plays in the NFL, which was a huge part of his skill set in college. 

It's actually bizarre how his accuracy was so bad last season when you watch that. It was his greatest strength coming out and why I liked him. It just hasn't been there. 

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

He has shown marked improvement, you can see it most times by standing in the pocket instead of his first move is running for his life. He still needs to shore up his accuracy on the shorter throws, as he's still throwing behind the receivers sometimes. The next thing he needs to work on is his stupid habit and the most infuriating thing about him is running backwards when line containment breaks down. He loses to many yards on sacks that are unnecessary. LEARN to throw the ball away.

1) Yes, his footwork to the right side seems to be off on occasion.  That really is just a rep thing.  It'll come...but he does need to clean that up - and has mostly cleaned it up with a few hiccups here and there.  But agree..

2) Not sure I agree here.  He rolls out often and sometimes backs up but that is a legitimate choice and something he actually works on.  Heck, it's Pat Mahome's go to move.  With Zach's arm it's completely justifiable.  Where I'll agree is last year he was doing it, on occasion, before the pocket broke down.  That hasn't been the case so far this year.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Safe to say these things happen to all QB's though. Unless you're going to compare to the rest of the league and show a discrepancy these type of stats come off as excuses/whining IMO. 

This is just a stat on Twitter....

But you would be entirely disingenuous if you're saying The Jets, with Wilson, hasn't had a far disproportion of passes stopped inside the 2.  I've never seen anything like it.

The tipped INT's while high likely isn't much of an outlier - but I'm certain the other stat is.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is just a stat on Twitter....

But you would be entirely disingenuous if you're saying The Jets, with Wilson, hasn't had a far disproportion of passes stopped inside the 2.  I've never seen anything like it.

The tipped INT's while high likely isn't much of an outlier - but I'm certain the other stat is.

It's not disingenuous at all. I have no idea what the rest of the league looks like for either of these stats. Why do you assume it's an outlier for the Jets?

I'm not a Zach hater - these stats are just not very meaningful unless you compare them to the league.

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Astounding how many people on this board appear to be rooting for him to fail. 

Couldnt agree more.  Did anyone who is criticizing zach watch that absolute debacle last night?  Fields is still a one read and run QB while carson wentz generated 99 passing yards vs one of the worst defenses in the league. 

I have no idea what zach will or wont be, but he is progressing each week which is what we want at this point in his 1.5 year career.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not disingenuous at all. I have no idea what the rest of the league looks like for either of these stats.

All this tells me is that you don't actually watch the NFL - or at least haven't for a long time - or just only watch Jet games - or you're simply blinded by your dislike of ZW.

There is simply no way you could be a fan of the NFL, actually watch games and not see an outlier in the number of passes downed at the 1.  It's far outside the norm.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

All this tells me is that you don't actually watch the NFL - or at least haven't for a long time - or just only watch Jet games - or you're simply blinded by your dislike of ZW.

There is simply no way you could be a fan of the NFL, actually watch games and not see an outlier in the number of passes downed at the 1.  It's far outside the norm.

Oh please. I'm not even a Zach hater. You're being ridiculous.  

I've watched the NFL every Sunday my entire life. I might stop watching Thursday night if they keep scheduling trash games though.

You throw these stats out with no comparison to the rest of the league and assume the Jets are an outlier based on casual observation. BS. 

I'm not even saying you're wrong, just that I don't know and you've provided no evidence to substantiate your claim. Just garbage about me not watching the NFL which I know for a fact is false. foh

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

No idea why you think he’s a nice dude. I don’t. He’s obviously a sociopath. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Oh please. I'm not even a Zach hater. You're being ridiculous.  

I've watched the NFL every Sunday my entire life. I might stop watching Thursday night if they keep scheduling trash games though.

You throw these stats out with no comparison to the rest of the league and assume the Jets are an outlier based on casual observation. BS. 

I'm not even saying you're wrong, just that I don't know and you've provided no evidence to substantiate your claim. Just garbage about me not watching the NFL which I know for a fact is false. foh

Eh...

Not everything needs data when it's plainly obvious.  I promise only a handful of people are left to get mad at you for saying good things about Wilson.  It's okay.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh...

Not everything needs data when it's plainly obvious.  I promise only a handful of people are left to get mad at you for saying good things about Wilson.  It's okay.

Except, it's not obvious.

I've been pretty fair in my commentary on Zach. You make a lot of incorrect assumptions.

Here's an idea. Since the stat is obviously available, why not post it for the other NFL QB's? Or you could just continue to slander those who won't blindly agree with your assumption. One method would be much more convincing than the other.

• Upvote 1