Jets should trade for Brian Burns

T0mShane

Rumors afoot that the Panthers are going into fire sale mode and don’t want to pay Burns at the end of the year (Fitterer had that weird comment earlier this offseason about not paying Burns, too). IMO, Burns isn’t Von Miller, but he’s an extremely athletic pass rusher who could be the big finishing piece to unlock this defense. I would absolutely consider giving up a 2023 one and change for this dude. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

Why not ?

We just drafted JJ.  We dont need Burns.  You dont just trade away premium picks cause a good player is available.  There is a plan we are executing here.  

Joe Douglas told us how hes building this.  Through the draft.

Parting w/ premium picks is the last thing Joe D would do.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We just drafted JJ.  We dont need Burns.  You dont just trade away premium picks cause a good player is available.  There is a plan we are executing here.  

JJ is okay and still developing but he’s no burns plus it’s looking like we won’t have a high 1st this year so who in the middle or near  the end of the draft will be the caliber of player like burns? 

AND HES ONLY 24

this is a no brainer imo

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rumors afoot that the Panthers are going into fire sale mode and don’t want to pay Burns at the end of the year (Fitterer had that weird comment earlier this offseason about not paying Burns, too). IMO, Burns isn’t Von Miller, but he’s an extremely athletic pass rusher who could be the big finishing piece to unlock this defense. I would absolutely consider giving up a 2023 one and change for this dude. 

You're not good with return on investment analysis, or money in general,  are you? 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Carl Lawson plus premium draft picks > Burns.

Trading for Burns and cutting Lawson would make the jets worse.

Are the Jets close to competing or not? If you think they’re on the brink of title contention, then using a “premium pick” on a 25 year old A1 EDGE is a no brainer.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

JJ is okay and still developing but he’s no burns plus it’s looking like we won’t have a high 1st this year so who in the middle or near  the end of the draft will be the caliber of player like burns? 

AND HES ONLY 24

this is a no brainer imo

4 games into his career and u know Jj is no Burns?  Hahaha.

Let me guess, u wanted Joe D fired 4 weeks ago.

If the Jets can get Burns without giving up the future #1 I’m all for it. Great value, young ascending player, premium position. Without knowing how the season plays out I think you hang on to next year’s first and you’re okay missing on him if that’s the difference. 

They theoretically weren’t giving up a #1 for Hill last offseason so unless the build is that different one year later I’d guess that’s the simple approach Douglas takes.

I imagine lots of teams will be in on him though.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

If the Jets can get Burns without giving up the future #1 I’m all for it. Great value, young ascending player, premium position. Without knowing how the season plays out I think you hang on to next year’s first and you’re okay missing on him if that’s the difference. 

They theoretically weren’t giving up a #1 for Hill last offseason so unless the build is that different one year later I’d guess that’s the simple approach Douglas takes.

I imagine lots of teams will be in on him though.

Eh. They aren’t drafting QB next season, they don’t need CB or WR, and they’ve shown that they can cobble together the OT spots, so even if they’re sitting there at pick 7-9, they’d be targeting DE anyway. What’s the harm? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

They should absolutely look into it

Saleh and Ulbrich’s entire scheme is predicated around generating pressure with your Front 4.

As long as Saleh is here, this team is going to value DL above all else.

Lawson isn’t long to wear a Jets uniform and while I think JJ will develop into a quality starter, I don’t see him being a dude who terrorizes QB’s. More of a Bryan Thomas/Calvin Pace type who can set the edge against the run and give you 6-8 sacks a year.

Q and Burns are the only guys who would require massive deals on this team over the next 2 years.

Jets fans have written the book on a rookie who has 2 sacks in his 1st 4 games.  Hysterical.

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Is it? They were 2 seconds from trading for Tyreek Hill. They’ll make a move if it fits. A 24 yr old pass rusher seems like a fit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You gotta take any athletic Brian whose last name also starts with a B seriously. Brian Blades, Brian Bosworth, Brian Boitano...etc. Not to mention that the guy who played Kevin in The Office is named Brian Baumgartner. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but it seems like a strong combo.

I met Brian Blades once. 

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jets fans have written the book on a rookie who has 2 sacks in his 1st 4 games.  Hysterical.

Written the book on him how?

Lawson could very well be hitting the bricks after this season and in a defense heavily predicated on generating pressure with your base front four, we sure as hell need more than Jermaine Johnson on the edge.

This fanbase has gone goofy if they’re fully expecting someone like Micheal Clemons to become a guaranteed quality starter just because they love his attitude.

The Jets have the look of a team that could be in heavy playoff contention if not this year, then certainly next.

They have a cheap young QB, cheap young receivers, cheap young corners, etc.

This is when you make this kind of move

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Lawson could very well be hitting the bricks after this season and in a defense heavily predicated on generating pressure with your base front four, we sure as hell need more than Jermaine Johnson on the edge.

This fanbase has gone goofy if they’re fully expecting someone like Michael Clemsons to become a guaranteed quality starter just because they love his attitude.

The Jets have the look of a team that could be in heavy playoff contention if not this year, then certainly next.

Washington has Payne and Allen on the inside. Go get one of them and kick out rankins or go get Minkah to kick out Joyner 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Are the Jets close to competing or not? If you think they’re on the brink of title contention, then using a “premium pick” on a 25 year old A1 EDGE is a no brainer.

this is our window to win. from now until 2024 when we have to start paying and losing guys. if we beat GB or Zach can play with Rodgers then we make the deal. if we get blown out then were not ready yet

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This fanbase has gone goofy if they’re fully expecting someone like Micheal Clemons to become a guaranteed quality starter just because they love his attitude.

Y is carl lawson hitting thd bricks?  Hes loved by players and coaches and is just starting to play his best football.  If anything they are going to extend lawson not cut him.

You dont trade premium picks for a guy when u just drafted a very talented rookie at the same position.

Its not happening and this is a wasted discussion.

1 minute ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Washington has Payne and Allen on the inside. Go get one of them and kick out rankins or go get Minkah to kick out Joyner 

I wouldn’t be opposed to Minkah, but I have no interest in trading for another big budget interior DL when we’re already paying JFM $14 million a year and are set to hand Quinnen a $100 million deal.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to Minkah, but I have no interest in trading for another big budget interior DL when we’re already paying JFM $14 million a year and are set to hand Quinnen a $100 million deal.

Allen could be Q insurance. JFM may not have a big cap hit after this year if cut? Payne is a free agent after this year and on a sweetheart rookie deal.