Jets should trade for Brian Burns

T0mShane

If its truly a fire sale and BB is on the block b/c Panthers can’t/wont afford to extend him, JD should be able to trade him for a pair of picks - probably some combination of 2-3rd rounder and the usual swap of picks at some later round (4-6th rounds usually) with probably some Clause of the premium pick conditionally upgrading a bit if Jets extend him.

The price of a rental

vs

the price of investing for an immediate return (proven veteran) for a crucial component of the defensive scheme with the intention to extend as well to a long term extension in exchange for some draft picks (development time & less certain of a performance return, but cheaper contract). 

JD can get it done w/out mortgaging the future. If they want him, JD will make a solid bid w/out overpaying (see Hill & the dolphins)

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. They aren’t drafting QB next season, they don’t need CB or WR, and they’ve shown that they can cobble together the OT spots, so even if they’re sitting there at pick 7-9, they’d be targeting DE anyway. What’s the harm? 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rumors afoot that the Panthers are going into fire sale mode and don’t want to pay Burns at the end of the year (Fitterer had that weird comment earlier this offseason about not paying Burns, too). IMO, Burns isn’t Von Miller, but he’s an extremely athletic pass rusher who could be the big finishing piece to unlock this defense. I would absolutely consider giving up a 2023 one and change for this dude. 

Burns for Mike White! How ya feeling about it now?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

I think Lawson, JJ, Clemons, and Huff are more than enough at edge when the alternative is giving away assets.  You know, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I think these 4 will be just fine and value should be expended elsewhere.

You all are like a child in a candy shop...just relax!  We'll be just fine at edge.  We definitely have more pressing areas of need.        

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rumors afoot that the Panthers are going into fire sale mode and don’t want to pay Burns at the end of the year (Fitterer had that weird comment earlier this offseason about not paying Burns, too). IMO, Burns isn’t Von Miller, but he’s an extremely athletic pass rusher who could be the big finishing piece to unlock this defense. I would absolutely consider giving up a 2023 one and change for this dude. 

A 2023 1st rounder?... we only have 1 next year... I wouldn't mind a trade for Burns but I wouldn't give up our only #1 pick in 2023 for him... & Haven't you heard the Jets are going to draft Will Anderson Jr. with the #1 overall pick. ?

Is Minkah attainable right now?

I think this is the point where you start to use picks to acquire playmakers on the roster. 

Burns, Minkah or Roquan Smith I would take a look at. All playmakers at positions of need on defense. 

Totally unrelated position, but look at how the Diggs trade totally elevated the Bills and was the major piece that started the path to contention. If we keep trending up, we may be at the part of the rebuild where the Bills acquired him and took off....

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I think Payne is on the same level as Leonard Williams… maybe a third for him? Just spit balling here. 

Well then, while it’d take a year of waiting, they’d get back a 3rd if they rent him for the rest of this season. I don’t see the obvious position they’re signing a 3rd round comp level UFA this offseason, and will have enough other offsets. Too early to know what contract he’d  get elsewhere, but with expiring contracts they are likely in line for a 4th (+/-1 round) for Fant and maybe McGovern as well.

Even still, I think this is a major long shot. They’ve got Lawson, JFM, Huff, the two rookies, and isn’t Curry coming back any day as further rotation? Not that he isn’t an upgrade still, but given Saleh’s adherence to rotating them all, this isn’t a position group in desperate need of a 3 month rental that further limits the snaps of the rest individually, who’d further cost the 1st rounder they’ll likely want to use at OL or LB. The purpose of drafting two DEs isn’t to bury them on the depth chart; it’s to see if they can get by with them starting, to clear up space to use elsewhere (ideally), whether that’s new talent incoming or retaining their own.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Also I still say the one they should be asking Carolina about is Bozeman. Wouldn’t be costly in terms of a pick, and they may want to extend him for less than McGovern.

Worst case (picked up and not needed and not extended) is cheap but competent OL depth for the balance of this year at C/G (and then they’ll either re-sign him or add him to the pile that’d return a comp pick a year later). But he’ll have fresh legs & no chronic midseason bumps/bruises for Nov-Dec after starting the season on IR.

I don’t know if he’s available, what it’d cost in trade, or if he’s even close to returning to the field for that matter. But that’s the one I’d look to pry loose if those things check out.

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not a big Corey Davis guy but the last few games the guy seems to be moving forward a bit and Zach loves to target him is now the time to disrupt our young QB ?

Zach doesn’t need coddling. Anyway, I’m more making the point that Mims as the trade comp is absurd.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Why would they trade Zach favorite receiver 

Because it’s going to cost something to acquire the guy. I don’t actually think they would, but I’d rather that over picks… and those saying Mims aren't realistic

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also I still say the one they should be asking Carolina about is Bozeman. Wouldn’t be costly in terms of a pick, and they may want to extend him for less than McGovern.

Worst case (picked up and not needed and not extended) is cheap but competent OL depth for the balance of this year at C/G (and then they’ll either re-sign him or add him to the pile that’d return a comp pick a year later). But he’ll have fresh legs & no chronic midseason bumps/bruises for Nov-Dec after starting the season on IR.

I don’t know if he’s available, what it’d cost in trade, or if he’s even close to returning to the field for that matter. But that’s the one I’d look to pry loose if those things check out.

He'd be an interesting one. Given Bozeman was surprisingly cheap in FA and will be available again among others - plus obviously the draft - do you think the Jets will be spending more, less, or roughly the same at center next year (relative to McGovern this year)? I won’t hold you to it, just interesting to me when a guy like Bozeman comes up and that’s one of the very clear questions for next year.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Does Carolina play a similar outside zone blocking scheme? If not, how long for him to gel with the rest of the line? December when the season is almost over?

Burns just has to pin his ears back and attack. Not much to learn there. 

9 minutes ago, derp said:

He'd be an interesting one. Given Bozeman was surprisingly cheap in FA and will be available again among others - plus obviously the draft - do you think the Jets will be spending more, less, or roughly the same at center next year (relative to McGovern this year)? I won’t hold you to it, just interesting to me when a guy like Bozeman comes up and that’s one of the very clear questions for next year.

Too early to tell. There’s still a good chance they would extend McGovern, too. I wonder how much of that’s something he’s planning, but not during the season because of the elephant in the room in not extending Fant (who’s badly wanted an extension). He’s not a mauler who pushes NTs back into the next level, but he mostly holds his own in pass protection in not getting shoved back into the QB’s face, and knows his blocking responsibilities cold. Most of the inside pressure seems to have come from the guards (particularly LG and after AVT kicked out to tackle).

I don’t know how he thinks on spending there, but on paper a veteran center, especially one who isn’t making top 5 money for the position, is one of the better veteran values. They play every snap, and they’re among the cheapest positions alongside TE and non-top10 RTs. So I don’t think he’d be in some mad rush to draft a center early instead of a position where veteran replacements cost so much more. He’s certainly shown no obvious interest in drafting one to groom behind (and eventually take over for) McGovern thus far. Not even after his badly disappointing ‘20 season.

I think he’d welcome a cheaper veteran option - what GM wouldn’t? - but a reliable one doesn’t seem to be on the roster right now. So, too early to tell.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We just drafted JJ.  We dont need Burns.  You dont just trade away premium picks cause a good player is available.  There is a plan we are executing here.  

Joe Douglas told us how hes building this.  Through the draft.

Parting w/ premium picks is the last thing Joe D would do.

I agree with this only due to the timing.  I would love to see him on The Jets. Proven commodity and only 24 years old. He fits the mold here but we are not a player away from anything. I don't  think Burns really gets us anywhere we don't  go already. There will be a time to make a move like this but that will be after this team can make the playoffs.  I know a lot of people think we will be in the playoffs but until  it happens, it's all wishful thinking.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Does Carolina play a similar outside zone blocking scheme? If not, how long for him to gel with the rest of the line? December when the season is almost over?

Burns just has to pin his ears back and attack. Not much to learn there. 

Unless he’s a bad scheme mismatch by skill or body type, not much. Every team does a healthy share of zone blocking (no one’s purely man-blocking every snap). If a rookie can pick it up week 1 - two years in a row - then I’m not too worried about a veteran starter.

No argument Burns is a more valuable player, but they’re galaxies apart in cost, too. Bozeman would cost a day 3 pick and isn’t terribly expensive. Burns will likely cost a 1st rounder (possibly more than that) for the privilege of negotiating an extension with him (or tagging him) to keep beyond this season, at what’s probably the team’s deepest position.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Also into this. I’d give them Corey Davis and a pick right now. It’s not happening for Mims, probably at all. He’ll walk as FA eventually. Not seeing a team acquire him.

Before the season, I’d say sure…but Corey has been rock solid through 5.  I don’t think I’d trade him for anything less than a second.  Beyond him being Zach’s favorite WR, he keeps Garrett Wilson, who is still developing, in single coverage.  Lastly, most Carolina insiders are saying that these “Burns a lock to be moved before the deadline” rumors are not true, and he’s more likely to be moved in the off-season, if at all.  Reading between the lines, this rumor is probably something Carolina put out there to start a bidding war to see if they can manage to get an overpay at the deadline.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unless he’s a bad scheme mismatch by skill or body type, not much. Every team does a healthy share of zone blocking (no one’s purely man-blocking every snap). If a rookie can pick it up week 1 - two years in a row - then I’m not too worried about a veteran starter.

No argument Burns is a more valuable player, but they’re galaxies apart in cost, too. Bozeman would cost a day 3 pick and isn’t terribly expensive. Burns will likely cost a 1st rounder (possibly more than that) for the privilege of negotiating an extension with him (or tagging him) to keep beyond this season, at what’s probably the team’s deepest position.

Bozeman would be a great depth piece but I think JD really likes Feeney, but if we are talking about a 6th round pick or something like that, then I would feel good with Bozeman.

We do have a really good problem in that in 2 weeks we will have to find spots to bring back both fant and mitchell.  We can obviously waive mcdermott for one spot and Ogubehi for the other.  After that, would we waive feeney for bozeman?

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Zach doesn’t need coddling. Anyway, I’m more making the point that Mims as the trade comp is absurd.

Both things can be true. Mims has no real trade value and the Jets aren’t trading away a starting WR while their young QB’s needle appears to be trending upward. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Before the season, I’d say sure…but Corey has been rock solid through 5.  I don’t think I’d trade him for anything less than a second.  Beyond him being Zach’s favorite WR, he keeps Garrett Wilson, who is still developing, in single coverage.  Lastly, most Carolina insiders are saying that these “Burns a lock to be moved before the deadline” rumors are not true, and he’s more likely to be moved in the off-season, if at all.  Reading between the lines, this rumor is probably something Carolina put out there to start a bidding war to see if they can manage to get an overpay at the deadline.

I don’t want to trade him. He has been good. That’s what I think these defenders would cost… not Mims.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

At first, I was like, nah, no way, stupid rumor a "lock"?  No.  Carolina wouldnt move Burns.  

And then?  I noticed it was Michael Balko dropping this report and with all his legitimate connections all around the NFL, this feels so real.  So real.

• Upvote 1