Jets should trade for Brian Burns

T0mShane

I just dont see this front office giving up draft capital for expensive players. This front office, to me, seems like they'd rather have draft capital than trade it away. I am a fan of burns but I think this team will perfer to build through the draft and go after free agents vs trading for guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, derp said:

If the Jets can get Burns without giving up the future #1 I’m all for it. Great value, young ascending player, premium position. Without knowing how the season plays out I think you hang on to next year’s first and you’re okay missing on him if that’s the difference. 

They theoretically weren’t giving up a #1 for Hill last offseason so unless the build is that different one year later I’d guess that’s the simple approach Douglas takes.

I imagine lots of teams will be in on him though.

Burns is a stud.  They will definitely get a 1st + for him

19 hours ago, oatmeal said:

JJ is okay and still developing but he’s no burns plus it’s looking like we won’t have a high 1st this year so who in the middle or near  the end of the draft will be the caliber of player like burns? 

AND HES ONLY 24

this is a no brainer imo

"With the 32nd pick of the draft...the NYJ select...?"

• Sympathy 2

I would love to add a guy like Burns, but the problem with trading for Burns is that we would need to give a up a 1, plus we have to pay him.  As of now, we are projected to have $8M cap space next year.   Obviously we can free up space, but we also have just 36 guys under contract for next year, so we will need to spend money to full out the roster.  Burns would likely cost us a 1, plus at least $16M cap space.

On the other hand, if we keep our 1, we can get a low priced talented player.  And use $16M cap space, to sign 2 or 3 more players.  I would rather see us continue to commit to building throught he draft. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

This one is an easy call.  I would definitely trade for Brian Burns.  He is an elite edge, no doubt about it.  Now the OP suggests that we should cough up next year's 1 to get him.   No.  That is a hard pass.  We are not good enough to sacrifice next year's needs to win this year.  I wish we were.  Now if we were like the Bills before the Diggs trade, coming off a division crown and needing a #1 wideout - then - like the Biills - I would cough up the #1.  I think Burns is worth a #1.  Not a top 10 pick, but a #1.  I just wish we were good enough.  I honestly believe we must draft another tackle early next season.  I do not consider playing Brown, resigning Fant and a return to health for Becton to be a plan for next season at LT.  That band aid is barely holding now.

But I doubt Burns goes for a #1.  When players contracts are up, they sell for less.  I would definitely bid, but am hoping to have the best offer from around the NFL.    I  wold happily pay him though.   Well worth every penny.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Bozeman would be a great depth piece but I think JD really likes Feeney, but if we are talking about a 6th round pick or something like that, then I would feel good with Bozeman.

We do have a really good problem in that in 2 weeks we will have to find spots to bring back both fant and mitchell.  We can obviously waive mcdermott for one spot and Ogubehi for the other.  After that, would we waive feeney for bozeman?

I think he likes Feeney because of experience: familiarity with the team/scheme plus the idea that his backup was a day-2 pick who was then a 3+ year starter & is still only 28. I think there’s further a very good chance he liked Feeney as a prospect coming out of school.

I’m also not aware of him ever having missed time (let alone multiple games) to injury, or even so much as being listed as doubtful even once in his career; was once listed as questionable for 1 week & still suited up & played. So much for the cliché that the best ability is availability.

The problem is despite checking off those boxes, he’s just not too good. Clearly not good enough to pencil in as starter heading into the draft, where the team may be realistically faced with the idea of him starting 17 games at C if they don’t land the prospect they wanted (or if the one they landed just isn’t any better, at least as a rookie).

McDermott is just awful. I didn’t understand bringing him back this year; even to bring in as competition for Edoga for a roster spot was hard to accept (made still harder to accept after neither made the final roster cutdowns). 

On the one hand they should’ve drafted another lineman; on the other hand I’d have to be one miserable brat to find fault with the Jets’ 2022 draft class with the way they’ve started out. Even at my worst I’m not that surly. 

• Upvote 1

Don't we already have the most expensive DL in football? I can't see a scenario where they pay Quinnen and Burns. We'd have to choose one. Besides I don't think we could extend him now so you'd be looking at a franchise tag

We have a lot of young foundational players now but reality is we will still need to overhaul a significant portion of our roster so we need more draft capital not less. 

Seems a year early for this type of move. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rumors afoot that the Panthers are going into fire sale mode and don’t want to pay Burns at the end of the year (Fitterer had that weird comment earlier this offseason about not paying Burns, too). IMO, Burns isn’t Von Miller, but he’s an extremely athletic pass rusher who could be the big finishing piece to unlock this defense. I would absolutely consider giving up a 2023 one and change for this dude. 

i think if they get em 5050 chance of getting burnes 

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Don't we already have the most expensive DL in football? I can't see a scenario where they pay Quinnen and Burns. We'd have to choose one. Besides I don't think we could extend him now so you'd be looking at a franchise tag

We have a lot of young foundational players now but reality is we will still need to overhaul a significant portion of our roster so we need more draft capital not less. 

Seems a year early for this type of move. 

If you are going to spend money DL is where you spend it

I don’t know who started this “rumor”, but it’s typical click bait by some reporter who sits there thinking about scenarios and throwing out made up bs without any corroboration, in this case a Panthers “firesale” which then goes viral and gets picked up on forums.