Kids still live at home after age 25????

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If you can afford it then that’s awesome. I’m sensing a disconnect here though. There are plenty of places that don’t carry a 30k property tax bill. But if you want higher paid teachers and pensions that were never sustainable that comes with the territory I guess. 10k a year for day camp is preposterous lol

I never understood how some places made it work with very low property taxes.  But it clearly can be done. 

10k for 6 weeks per kid is preposterous.  My wife pays that bill.  I thinks it’s a waste even though I agree it’s very nice. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If you can afford it then that’s awesome. I’m sending a disconnect here though. There are plenty of places that don’t carry a 30k property tax bill. But if you want higher paid teachers and pensions that were never sustainable that comes with the territory I guess. 10k a year for day camp is preposterous lol

Like batman, I'm not in this thread talking about me.  I'm well-off.  He's well-off-er...

My personal complaints are that I make a whole lot of money and have limitations that the numbers on paper - you would think, I wouldn't or shouldn't have.  But, I'm not talking about home renovations, flying first class, luxury vehicles and country club memberships here.

As a geriatric millennial, I see that the deck is stacked against us in general.  I'm not the average, or close to it.  But, for the average, it is much harder to live a decent life than it was 40 years ago.  My point is that's because of the environment, and resultingly, the math - and, if kids are staying home more, it's not because they're lazier than prior generations - it's because not living at home is increasingly unattainable, and staying home is a much better financial move.

• Post of the Week 3

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If you can afford it then that’s awesome. I’m sensing a disconnect here though. There are plenty of places that don’t carry a 30k property tax bill. But if you want higher paid teachers, smaller districts and pensions that were never sustainable that comes with the territory I guess. 10k a year for day camp is preposterous though lol

Where do you live?

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Like batman, I'm not in this thread talking about me.  I'm well-off.  He's well-off-er...

My personal complaints are that I make a whole lot of money and have limitations that the numbers on paper - you would think, I wouldn't or shouldn't have.  But, I'm not talking about flying first class, luxury vehicles and country club memberships here.

As a geriatric millennial, I see that the deck is stacked against us in general.  I'm not the average, or close to it.  But, for the average, it is much harder to live a decent life than it was 40 years ago.  My point is that's because of the environment, and resultingly, the math - and, if kids are staying home more, it's not because they're lazier than prior generations - it's because not living at home is increasingly unattainable, and staying home is a much better financial move.

I’m in the same age group. I just don’t see it that way. I’m from an area that’s crazy expensive now and don’t hold resentment that its overall unaffordable. We could probably swing it I guess but we like where we’re at.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

My personal complaints are that I make a whole lot of money and have limitations that the numbers on paper - you would think, I wouldn't or shouldn't have.  But, I'm not talking about home renovations, flying first class, luxury vehicles and country club memberships here.

Zachey unfortunately I don’t see a easy solution to the cost issue.  

if anything I think it might be getting worse.   Once all our parents generation passes down wealth it’s going to be harder for many without some sort of family money to buy a house etc. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m in the same age group. I just don’t see it that way. I’m from an area that’s crazy expensive now and don’t hold resentment that its overall unaffordable. We could probably swing it I guess but we like where we’re at.

I'm glad you're happy where you're at.  That's great.  My guess is you also have a better than average household income, so maybe this thread isn't about you either.  Apparently, that's like 87K now.

I think the math does usurp either of our perspectives on the matter though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Zachey unfortunately I don’t see a easy solution to the cost issue.  

if anything I think it might be getting worse.   Once all our parents generation passes down wealth it’s going to be harder for many without some sort of family money to buy a house etc. 

The irony, for me, is that if this resolves in the way it would need to, I'll be upside-down on a rather sizeable mortgage, so....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

it's not how you were raised.  it's that your parents generation didn't raise costs on everything :-)

tell me how someone making $70k a year with student loans can afford to live on their own in nyc now?   it's not possible.

I like how you cherry pick the most expensive, sought after location.

ive seen people split a place in nyc for 1000-1500 a month. So then yes, you can live there. If you want privacy, then no you cant live there

You are not entitled to live wherever you want. A place like nyc is for those that make more. Its not that hard a concept. Plus, youd be a fool to rent long term for broadway and pizza. Try NC

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

25+ years ago, right after college, I split a $1500/month apartment in Brooklyn, that was realistically a 2 BR, with 2 roommates, and still couldn't afford it, but I scraped by, paid off my college loans, and somehow, eventually, managed to be debt free after a few years. It sucked, but it was a growth experience for sure.

That said, I dont envy young people today. Its even tougher for them.

It is tough now.

I got our of grad school, had great credit, bought a house that i fixed up myself.   Worked 2 jobs, got my 1st office, 90% of the build out myself.

Went broke at 33 due to bad investments, real estate collapse.   Moved, started over.  Went almost broke at 43 after a killer divorce.   Worked really hard, building it back up.

It is hard now, but if you are willing g to work it is doable.

34 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Yep 10k a kid. 6 weeks.  It’s very nice but overpriced.  My wife’s decision. 

my kids got into g&t and so we stuck around.  Plus grandparents still worked at the time. 

We left with the pandemic, but top schools were a must from a values perspective.  The camp thing is absurd, but we've priced it around and this is what it costs.  I imagine at least 40% of that cost is just the insurance.  Ours is longer than 6 weeks for that money though.

This reminds me of my step nephew. A millennial. Had a drug problem. Cant hold a job. Cant not wreck a car. Got caught stealing from target and has that on his record. Moves to seattle for 2 years. Gets indoctrinated to that line of thought.

moves back to georgia. Uncle gives him a job at 15 an hour even though he doesnt need the help. Lets him live at the shop free. Gives him a car for free.

kid has the nerve to tell him he is being taken advantage of. Says he doesnt want  to live at the shop but he wants his own house. 

uncle hooks him up with a side gig. Makes 10k a month now. Still feels he is being used by the man to be doing work he hates.

sorry this is loser mentality abd entitlement something my fellow gen xers never fell for 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

We have a lot of family that moved, not real far but like 3 hours away to PA.  Houses are huge and they have land. For years I couldn't move because of my job. A lot of people were in the same boat. Things have changed now with remote working, we could live anywhere.

We like it here a lot. We live close to the water, love going to eat on the water. So PA wasn't an option for us (hey pig farmer lol @De-Jet-Erate/Duane).

Moving far isn't an option for us because of Lauren's treatment. The kids seem to be settling down here so we are happy. Our youngest son Colin just decided to transfer from Virginia Tech to Rutgers so he can be closer. It is tough to be away while she is going through treatment.

BUT -- agreeing with your point, I see a ton of people with no family and nothing obviously holding them to this area. They are drowning and complain about how expensive NJ is. Yet they don't leave. That part always confuses me.

E I E I O!! With a oink oink here and an oink oink there. Every time I see a bad driver in Pa they have New Jersey plates on their car. Stay home Maxman Please! lol

• Haha 1

The differences bw generations is older ones accepted work they didnt care for. A job was a job. Also, there was a need to own a home no matter what. in any neighborhood that you can afford. In the long run you win and build wealth. 

Younger generations, from what i see and hear and observe in real life, scoff at the idea of working in a field they arent interested in. Their focus is on friends and fun vs building a family and a home. Not only do they not want to work in fields that bore them, they want to live in fun hip places.

Life is short. They wind up blowing their money to guys like me with nice rental properties. I get richer, they get more bitter as they realize they cant afford to buy. I had one tenant beg me to switch to a “rent to own” arrangement. I asked why i would do that? If i wanted to sell i could sell for 4x what i paid in 2008. She tried to sell me some garbage about the difficulty of getting a mortgage in a condo. I told her mortgage???? Do you think i would even entertain financing? The next owner of this condo will pay in cash.

Seriously its weird to me. Like the dude that makes 70k but cant live in nyc…..MoVE!!! Buy a property you can afford and join the club. 

• Upvote 1

I have a plan for my stepkids.

If they cant make it, or whatever you want to call it, im taking one of my 1 br rentals, sheet rock the dining room into a bedroom #2 and sending them there to live. They can pay maintanance and electric at around 350 a month. 

They gain a place. I lose 1200 a month but gain freedom. There is no way they stay here as manchildren the wife and i want out of this big house and into a hip 1 br condo with zero maintenance 

• Upvote 2

As an update, since I moved back in I believe I was unemployed for about a month, then I started looking for the lowliest entry level jobs I could find.  After 20+ years in IT/Tech Support I started over at Tractor Supply putting away carts and carrying bags of bird seed for old ladies.  Then my past reared up and I ended up driving a fork lift at a mobile home factory, then they realized I had no idea how to drive a forklift so I started as a gofer in sales, got really fat, started to diet, past reared up and ended up making the fanciest cardboard boxes you could imagine for International Paper.  Well, DuPont, but the process was the most intense labor/dance you had to master.  At that point I was down to under 200 pounds after being up to 270 and not weighing less than 250 for 20 years.  Then I went to work with my oldest friends company building fences.  Did the lifting and carrying of all the heavy stuff until my back went out after about 3 months.  Now I am back as the tech guy for the company and make more than I ever did in IT before and love what I get to do.  It took going through that hell to get to the point where I am, and I'm still a bit of a mess, but at least I'm not a drain on my parents (who, my father being Tier 1 in NY State teachers union has had nothing to do but travel the world since he retired at 55 with my mom who also worked in the school system, but that's probably a whole other story of boomers good things they got and then slamming the door on it the when other people wanted it too).  Gen X Pride! or something.  There's my first step for the evening, lol

*I could only do this because of generational wealth and the support of my family.  I am ridiculously blessed in the support I have been given for all the things I have done in my life.  Without the privileges I have I would not be here today*

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The differences bw generations is older ones accepted work they didnt care for. A job was a job. Also, there was a need to own a home no matter what. in any neighborhood that you can afford. In the long run you win and build wealth. 

Younger generations, from what i see and hear and observe in real life, scoff at the idea of working in a field they arent interested in. Their focus is on friends and fun vs building a family and a home. Not only do they not want to work in fields that bore them, they want to live in fun hip places.

Life is short. They wind up blowing their money to guys like me with nice rental properties. I get richer, they get more bitter as they realize they cant afford to buy. I had one tenant beg me to switch to a “rent to own” arrangement. I asked why i would do that? If i wanted to sell i could sell for 4x what i paid in 2008. She tried to sell me some garbage about the difficulty of getting a mortgage in a condo. I told her mortgage???? Do you think i would even entertain financing? The next owner of this condo will pay in cash.

Seriously its weird to me. Like the dude that makes 70k but cant live in nyc…..MoVE!!! Buy a property you can afford and join the club. 

I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad way to live either. But becoming resentful about it afterwards is pointless. We were able to buy when interest rates were super low a mere 5 years ago. We had to move for work but just made a nice sum of money as we bought in an area right before it blew up. Now we’ll use that for where we finally decide to buy. Luck and timing helps I guess. We also haven’t been adverse to moving. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

A lot of good paying jobs at manufacturing plants still. Troubleshooters, machinists in particular.

Right but there aren't many manufacturing plants left and those jobs get filled quick.

It can be the case that you want a manufacturing job and there just isn't one available in your area.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

As far as unfilled jobs it goes beyond janitor. I see it first hand. 

Yes but the overall point is unemployment is not just people don't want to work.

There are a lot of factors at play and honestly "I don't want to work" is probably almost non existent.

There are very very few people who just wont work at all but there are a lot of people who are unemployed who will work if given the right circumstances.

38 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The differences bw generations is older ones accepted work they didnt care for. A job was a job.

That's just not true. You can read posts online about retail jobs from hell.

Do you really think anyone wants to be a cashier at a clothing store in a mall?

Whether they like it or not plenty of people do fill those positions.

Also, there was a need to own a home no matter what. in any neighborhood that you can afford. In the long run you win and build wealth. 

I don't think it's unreasonable for younger generations to assume they could buy homes where they were born and grew up, especially when past generations have been able to do that. 

Younger generations, from what i see and hear and observe in real life, scoff at the idea of working in a field they arent interested in.

Yes and no. I do think my generation can sometimes turn their nose up at certain things because they think they're better than that. I blame parenting in that case. These are the trust fund kids who got degrees in women's studies and dumb sh*t and cry because they can't find a job. So there is some element of truth to what you're saying here but I don't think it describes the entire generation nor do I think it excuses the lack of opportunities left by the Boomers.

Their focus is on friends and fun vs building a family and a home. Not only do they not want to work in fields that bore them, they want to live in fun hip places.

Also true. Hook up culture, city life, buying six cats to fill a lonely apartment.

Maybe the importance of family should have been impressed on them more.

I think this is where some parents did their job and others didn't and why if you really look you'll see the Millennial generation is split between these two different groups of people who are in many ways polar opposites.

Like the dude that makes 70k but cant live in nyc…..MoVE!!! Buy a property you can afford and join the club. 

"Too bad" is not really an answer. It's fine on a personal level, you don't have to care, but as a society it is a pressing issue.

4 hours ago, Nolder said:

That's just not true. You can read posts online about retail jobs from hell.

Do you really think anyone wants to be a cashier at a clothing store in a mall?

Whether they like it or not plenty of people do fill those positions.

I don't think it's unreasonable for younger generations to assume they could buy homes where they were born and grew up, especially when past generations have been able to do that. 

Yes and no. I do think my generation can sometimes turn their nose up at certain things because they think they're better than that. I blame parenting in that case. These are the trust fund kids who got degrees in women's studies and dumb sh*t and cry because they can't find a job. So there is some element of truth to what you're saying here but I don't think it describes the entire generation nor do I think it excuses the lack of opportunities left by the Boomers.

Also true. Hook up culture, city life, buying six cats to fill a lonely apartment.

Maybe the importance of family should have been impressed on them more.

I think this is where some parents did their job and others didn't and why if you really look you'll see the Millennial generation is split between these two different groups of people who are in many ways polar opposites.

"Too bad" is not really an answer. It's fine on a personal level, you don't have to care, but as a society it is a pressing issue.

Ok everything you said is fine and reasonable.

I will add that yes, 100%, times are harder on the younger generation than one of the past. No doubt.

what can you do though?

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad way to live either. But becoming resentful about it afterwards is pointless. We were able to buy when interest rates were super low a mere 5 years ago. We had to move for work but just made a nice sum of money as we bought in an area right before it blew up. Now we’ll use that for where we finally decide to buy. Luck and timing helps I guess. We also haven’t been adverse to moving. 

Yes the best way for average joe to get ahead is to move, buy when things are low and sell after 2+ years, pocket the taxless capital gains and repeat.

honestly ive done this 5 times so far and thats why i have a fat house with no mortgage today. But theres a sacrifice

Do you know how a 20 year old can be wealthy fast? Today?

Go to a technical school. Learn a trade. Plumbing, electric, hvac, carpentry, etc.

Work for a company for 3 years. Then, take the test for a contracters license in said field. 

step 2: buy a $3000 truck slap some magnetic stickers for your business and advertise.

You will be pulling in 100k in No time and thats on the low end.

I know an idiot that did this and makes 300 k. He now pays a guy 90k salary and barely works. 

If there is a difference today vs my time, its general contracting and trades. Its a money pit. Nobody is doing it. Suckers going to college for crap. A waste. Learn a trade, be your own boss and make a killing. There is a HUGE SHORTAGE of these people!

Its actually EASY. An opportunity gen xers did not really have back in the day. 

if i was 35 instead of 54, Id be SO on it

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Go to a technical school. Learn a trade. Plumbing, electric, hvac, carpentry, etc.

Work for a company for 3 years. Then, take the test for a contracters license in said field. 

step 2: buy a $3000 truck slap some magnetic stickers for your business and advertise.

You will be pulling in 100k in No time and thats on the low end.

I know an idiot that did this and makes 300 k. He now pays a guy 90k salary and barely works. 

If there is a difference today vs my time, its general contracting and trades. Its a money pit. Nobody is doing it. Suckers going to college for crap. A waste. Learn a trade, be your own boss and make a killing. There is a HUGE SHORTAGE of these people!

Theses "youngins" are gonna say  you are simply a boomer stating BS. The ability to make 100 to 150K now is easier than ever. BUT you have to work for someone for say 55 to 75K for 2 years to train  and then 6 days a week for a few year in your own shop.   40 weeks a year work Saturday.   I agree 100 percent.  If I weren't a CPA I'd be a plumber or electrician. Getting licensed in the south is not that difficult.  In 2 years you'd be booked solid.  

GF's daughter is a senior at  a BIG college. Wants to be a social worker. They are talking her into a Masters degree, have her convinced it is necessary.  6 years of college, So she can leave with 50 to 75K debt to make 50K???  The education business is upside down.  I know you are a teacher sir.

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

what can you do though?

In reality not much.

There are some avenues for the clever (see: livestreaming, youtube, crypto, etc) but for the vast majority it's just a sh*t show.

Mostly the answer is to find the best job you can in a big city and save money until you're ready to have a family and then cash out to the wilderness but many people are finding even step 1 to be difficult.

That is an option and a good one for many.

But let's also be clear that the education system and society in general actively discourages this path.

You are pushed into college and oversaturated fields like tech rather than decent paying jobs which are badly needed.

No for sure. There aren't a lot of options these days but this is definitely a path and more people need to hear it. It's not a fixall for the situation but in the short term this is what young people who want a life roughly comparable to their parents and grandparents should be geared towards.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Theses "youngins" are gonna say  you are simply a boomer stating BS. The ability to make 100 to 150K now is easier than ever. BUT you have to work for someone for say 55 to 75K for 2 years to train  and then 6 days a week for a few year in your own shop.   40 weeks a year work Saturday.   I agree 100 percent.  If I weren't a CPA I'd be a plumber or electrician. Getting licensed in the south is not that difficult.  In 2 years you'd be booked solid.  

GF's daughter is a senior at  a BIG college. Wants to be a social worker. They are talking her into a Masters degree, have her convinced it is necessary.  6 years of college, So she can leave with 50 to 75K debt to make 50K???  The education business is upside down.  I know you are a teacher sir.

No, the truth is the truth. It's when Boomers just say younger generations are just lazy and don't acknowledge how things have changed in the economy and job markets that they get dismissed as out of touch. What he's saying here is dead on as far as advice for younger people goes.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The only reason I am teacher is because the time off is more valuable to me than dough AND I did fairly well as an electronics engineer before and I have made money in several real estate transactions.

But its a HARD NO for me if I were 20. HELL NOOOOOOOO. student load debt and 50k is too much to overcome

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Nolder said:

In reality not much.

There are some avenues for the clever (see: livestreaming, youtube, crypto, etc) but for the vast majority it's just a sh*t show.

Mostly the answer is to find the best job you can in a big city and save money until you're ready to have a family and then cash out to the wilderness but many people are finding even step 1 to be difficult.

That is an option and a good one for many.

But let's also be clear that the education system and society in general actively discourages this path.

You are pushed into college and oversaturated fields like tech rather than decent paying jobs which are badly needed.

No for sure. There aren't a lot of options these days but this is definitely a path and more people need to hear it. It's not a fixall for the situation but in the short term this is what young people who want a life roughly comparable to their parents and grandparents should be geared towards.

No, the truth is the truth. It's when Boomers just say younger generations are just lazy and don't acknowledge how things have changed in the economy and job markets that they get dismissed as out of touch. What he's saying here is dead on as far as advice for younger people goes.

I think you and I agree on most.  I read your response about education etc.   I'll add I remember being 25 in the 80's, interest rates were 10 percent, buying a house was out of reach, unemployment was 6 percent.   I was making about 25K, the average house was 150K.  How is that different to today in "global terms".  I think an argument can be made my generation had it worse.  I had to pay 6 times my salary at 10 percent to buy a home.  I did it. I lied on my mortgage app and took an off the books second job.

Getting a job was VERY difficult out of college in the 80's.  I took a job as a clerk in the accounting department. Below entry level. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I think you and I agree on most.  I read your response about education etc.   I'll add I remember being 25 in the 80's, interest rates were 10 percent, buying a house was out of reach, unemployment was 6 percent.   I was making about 25K, the average house was 150K.  How is that different to today in "global terms".  I think an argument can be made my generation had it worse.  I had to pay 6 times my salary at 10 percent to buy a home.  I did it. I lied on my mortgage app and took an off the books second job.

Getting a job was VERY difficult out of college in the 80's.  I took a job as a clerk in the accounting department. Below entry level. 

Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps by both committing fraud and not paying tax!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I didn’t mean no tax. I got a W2.   Poor wording on my part.  ?.   But yes.  Did lie about my income.   

ehhh I had a few cash only jobs when I was young anyway, so I'm not gonna be all high-and-mighty and judgmental - and you got a w2 anyway. 

The mortgage app, tho... that's... 

I remember a "business strategy" professor in grad school talking about "knowing which rules you can break and when you can break them", which I can see as realistic enough advice applied to the real world... but also vague, subjective and kinda only 20/20 hindsight "well I got away with it, so it was right".

I'd never advise someone to lie on their mortgage app. 

I guess I'm saying I'm not crazy about admonishing the youth for not lying on their mortgage applications. "Stop being a pu$$y and commit this fraud just like I did".

Whatever, it just made me laugh. All good, you do you. 

My son is 22, working full time, and is moving into a 3-BR apartment with 2 friends in NYC next weekend.  We are both thrilled and a little nostalgic since this is probably it for him living with us.  However, he's close to GCT so I expect we'll see him frequently anyway.  It is very expensive though so we'll help a little with expenses for a year or two I'm sure.  Honestly, it's so different than when I was 22.  I was easily able to afford an apartment in NYC then (although it was hardly a palace LOL).  Still, the boy needs to move out if he wants to have any decent shot at getting laid.

• Upvote 2

read a book? That's your comeback? 

I think the Ramen Noodles have fried your brain

To a comment like the one you made earlier? Absolutely. 

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That's true but it was 10% interest on 150k. I believe homes in my area were edging into 900k territory before the housing market took a dive and believe me these are just normal SFH properties nothing extravagant. Even at 1% interest you're only looking at 6k more than if I were to buy a house for 900k here and now. 

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

My son is 22, working full time, and is moving into a 3-BR apartment with 2 friends in NYC next weekend.  We are both thrilled and a little nostalgic since this is probably it for him living with us.  However, he's close to GCT so I expect we'll see him frequently anyway.  It is very expensive though so we'll help a little with expenses for a year or two I'm sure.  Honestly, it's so different than when I was 22.  I was easily able to afford an apartment in NYC then (although it was hardly a palace LOL).  Still, the boy needs to move out if he wants to have any decent shot at getting laid.

Your a great dad!

• Upvote 4