Kids still live at home after age 25????

southparkcpa

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Thanks, but compared to what I spend feeding him while he's living here, whatever I contribute to his rent will be a bargain.  The boy eats like @The Crusher after a fast and he has very refined tastes.  Not a good combo.

That's like the baby Crusher. Luckily his taste weren't refined when I was feeding him. Damn kid had a monthly $100-$125 Gatorade and tabasco flavored Slim Jim habit when he was playing ball at Central Arkansas. That was on top of his meal plan!! haha. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Theses "youngins" are gonna say  you are simply a boomer stating BS. The ability to make 100 to 150K now is easier than ever. BUT you have to work for someone for say 55 to 75K for 2 years to train  and then 6 days a week for a few year in your own shop.   40 weeks a year work Saturday.   I agree 100 percent.  If I weren't a CPA I'd be a plumber or electrician. Getting licensed in the south is not that difficult.  In 2 years you'd be booked solid.  

GF's daughter is a senior at  a BIG college. Wants to be a social worker. They are talking her into a Masters degree, have her convinced it is necessary.  6 years of college, So she can leave with 50 to 75K debt to make 50K???  The education business is upside down.  I know you are a teacher sir.

If your going to do college you need to go STEM. Still value in schooling. Older kid got masters in computer science and three years out of school is well on his way. Daughter doing  Biomed engineering and isn’t even done yet and her second internship offered her a positions on graduation making pretty solid bank for a 25 year old. If not stem, then couldn’t agree more with trade school. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

If your going to do college you need to go STEM. Still value in schooling. Older kid got masters in computer science and three years out of school is well on his way. Daughter doing  Biomed engineering and isn’t even done yet and her second internship offered her a positions on graduation making pretty solid bank for a 25 year old. If not stem, then couldn’t agree more with trade school. 

How does a knucklehead like you have smart kids????  OH!!! The wifey!!! :)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

As a millennial I did this in my late 20's. I had worked for a bank and despised my job.

I quit, went to trade school, got a job with a very small solar company and learned for 6 months - pay was horrible, but I treated it like an internship.

After 6 months I left for a big company, doubled my pay, and three months into said company I was promoted to foreman then about six months later got promoted again to a training/QA position.

I was about to jump to Solar City before I found a different opportunity in a completely different field, but one could absolutely be making six figures in their early 20's if they decided to go into the trades.

So while I am on team "millennial and this job market isn't what the boomers think it is", I'm a big proponent of encouraging and respecting the trades. Those dudes make bank and it's far, far more fun than grinding away in a cubicle. 

Really good points in here. But the corporate world has changed. A lot less cubicles and much more working from home.

For my career, I started in Accounting, switched to I.T. and then eventually moved to Marketing (because of JetNation). Now I do sales full time and have never been happier. It is a grind and I may never pull in that whale of a deal but the chase is fun. Trying to make game changing money, it really is exhilarating. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Really good points in here. But the corporate world has changed. A lot less cubicles and much more working from home.

For my career, I started in Accounting, switched to I.T. and then eventually moved to Marketing (because of JetNation). Now I do sales full time and have never been happier. It is a grind and I may never pull in that whale of a deal but the chase is fun. Trying to make game changing money, it really is exhilarating. 

When I started the thread, it seemed to die on the vine. Now it's 5 pages. Crazy.

21 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Even STEM isn't what it used to be from what I've seen some people say online, although that's not first had knowledge on my part admittedly. Glad they seem to be succeeding though. I mean I'll even say a useless degree like polisci or god forbid English can still get a job, it's just harder with more competition.

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, chirorob said:

It is tough now.

I got our of grad school, had great credit, bought a house that i fixed up myself.   Worked 2 jobs, got my 1st office, 90% of the build out myself.

Went broke at 33 due to bad investments, real estate collapse.   Moved, started over.  Went almost broke at 43 after a killer divorce.   Worked really hard, building it back up.

It is hard now, but if you are willing g to work it is doable.

I lost more than twice the money I’ve had since from my first divorce. I would have paid twice that to get away from her and spend the rest of my life with the enchanting and whimsical mistress of light being Mrs Crusher. 23 years and still fall more in love with her everyday. She keeps me fat and happy. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I lost more than twice the money I’ve had since from my first divorce. I would have paid twice that to get away from her and spend the rest of my life with the enchanting and whimsical mistress of light being Mrs Crusher. 23 years and still fall more in love with her everyday. She keeps me fat and happy. 

Awww so sweet

On 10/18/2022 at 3:35 PM, batman10023 said:

the data just doesn't back up your statement about nobody from 30-35 wants to work.

in terms of what boomers did - shipped a lot of jobs overseas for one.  second, ran a massive federal deficit to subsidize lavish (on a national level) living above their means.

go try paying for school or a house today compared to what you went thru.  night and day.

(i am a gen x)

Free trade has been the greatest wealth creator in the history of the world.  The free trade system wasn't set up by the Boomers it was set up by the WW2 generation, the boomers fathers to help keep us out of another global war.  We ran massive federal deficiets because we fought 3 huge wars,  Korea, Vietnam and the Cold war.  War is very expensive and not economically productive.   We have simply increased free trade because it's sensible.  Part of our inflation right now is caused by a pullback in free trade and immigration.  Both inflationary.

The last surplus we ran was the budget year Clinton left to George Bush Jr.  Real income was on the way up and we offshored our inflation and lots of our industrial pollution to China.  We were also producing huge amounts of much higher paying jobs in the service industry and had near zero unemployment. 

We than were attacked on 9/11 and got into two very costly wars.  We also saw technology start to hollow out service jobs across the country just like technology is hollowing out factories across the globe right now and robotics will continue to hollow out those jobs. 

There's now a war in Europe right on the back of a pandemic.  Global trade is likely to shrink along with GDP and wealth creation.  More people will be in economic pain.  We are in effect fighting the war without putting our men and women at risk but suffering some inflation where everyone is sharing the pain.  Same with the pandemic.  We decided to shut down the economy and pay people so our health care system wouldn't fail.  When you pay people not to produce stuff it's inflationary. The alternative might have been much worse?  Hard to know.

Look around the world.  Stop complaining.  The world is always in flux, there are things we cannot control and things we can control.  Free trade, immigration and respect for our democratic institutions have always kept us moving forward.  People will be displaced and have to learn new skills, life will change and we will change.  We are very risilient.  

Your generation has the right to vote, has the right to get a good education and make changes.  Stop complaining and get to work.  We need the next generation to kick our skinny geratiric asses to the curb and fix things.

FYI Rent control in NYC made it almost impossible to get a place in NYC in the 70's when I graduated.  I lived in a rat infested 230 square foot basement apartment on the upper West side before it gentrified.  I wouldn't live with my parents if my life depended on it and I actually loved them. 

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Free trade has been the greatest wealth creator in the history of the world.  The free trade system wasn't set up by the Boomers it was set up by the WW2 generation, the boomers fathers to help keep us out of another global war.  We ran massive federal deficiets because we fought 3 huge wars,  Korea, Vietnam and the Cold war.  War is very expensive and not economically productive.   We have simply increased free trade because it's sensible.  Part of our inflation right now is caused by a pullback in free trade and immigration.  Both inflationary.

The last surplus we ran was the budget year Clinton left to George Bush Jr.  Real income was on the way up and we offshored our inflation and lots of our industrial pollution to China.  We were also producing huge amounts of much higher paying jobs in the service industry and had near zero unemployment. 

We than were attacked on 9/11 and got into two very costly wars.  We also saw technology start to hollow out service jobs across the country just like technology is hollowing out factories across the globe right now and robotics will continue to hollow out those jobs. 

There's now a war in Europe right on the back of a pandemic.  Global trade is likely to shrink along with GDP and wealth creation.  More people will be in economic pain.  We are in effect fighting the war without putting our men and women at risk but suffering some inflation where everyone is sharing the pain.  Same with the pandemic.  We decided to shut down the economy and pay people so our health care system wouldn't fail.  When you pay people not to produce stuff it's inflationary. The alternative might have been much worse?  Hard to know.

Look around the world.  Stop complaining.  The world is always in flux, there are things we cannot control and things we can control.  Free trade, immigration and respect for our democratic institutions have always kept us moving forward.  People will be displaced and have to learn new skills, life will change and we will change.  We are very risilient.  

Your generation has the right to vote, has the right to get a good education and make changes.  Stop complaining and get to work.  We need the next generation to kick our skinny geratiric asses to the curb and fix things.

FYI Rent control in NYC made it almost impossible to get a place in NYC in the 70's when I graduated.  I lived in a rat infested 230 square foot basement apartment on the upper West side before it gentrified.  I wouldn't live with my parents if my life depended on it and I actually loved them. 

I am for free trade, although free fair trade is probably the better way to say it.

free trade has created lots of wealth but it's very skewed in terms of who is benefiting.  I think we are in a cycle where the previous winners aren't winners (as much) in the future.

how am I complaining?  I benefit from free trade and immigration.  i can make an argument that many americans don't benefit. unless your talking about my generation.  we don't complain that much.

regarding NYC rents, there has to be a middle ground between rent control and a free for all.  

but as high pitch says NYC isn't for everyone.

10 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I am for free trade, although free fair trade is probably the better way to say it.

free trade has created lots of wealth but it's very skewed in terms of who is benefiting.  I think we are in a cycle where the previous winners aren't winners (as much) in the future.

how am I complaining?  I benefit from free trade and immigration.  i can make an argument that many americans don't benefit. unless your talking about my generation.  we don't complain that much.

regarding NYC rents, there has to be a middle ground between rent control and a free for all.  

Sorry about the complaining line.  It's part of the grumpy old man gestalt. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

The bolded areas are a very government control over society...  just doesn't work.  I am a Milton Friedman follower.  How about we cap salaries in your industry and the money go to those who want to live in NYC but can't because the make 40K a year.  You see my point no?  NYC is cited as one of the worst landlords in the city. 

I simply see, from my viewpoint, TONS of opportunity for young kids. There is almost no reason a kid who invests 2 years in a trade or business can't be making 100K minimum.

Make yourself indispensable.

29 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The bolded areas are a very government control over society...  just doesn't work.  I am a Milton Friedman follower.  How about we cap salaries in your industry and the money go to those who want to live in NYC but can't because the make 40K a year.  You see my point no?  NYC is cited as one of the worst landlords in the city. 

I simply see, from my viewpoint, TONS of opportunity for young kids. There is almost no reason a kid who invests 2 years in a trade or business can't be making 100K minimum.

Make yourself indispensable.

you and I are broadly in the same industry.

i am not suggesting government control but rather I want the US to compete against non govt controlled entities.  not fair in my mind that some companies can have a captive domestic market (like BABA for example) and then use those excess profits to compete unfairly in the US market.

I do think there are definitely trade jobs that can be done - not sure about the pay but it's got to be better than working at WalMart. 

this an area that we are in agreement and my guess is we aren't too far off on the fair free trade comment.

On 10/18/2022 at 6:08 PM, Origen said:

As an update, since I moved back in I believe I was unemployed for about a month, then I started looking for the lowliest entry level jobs I could find.  After 20+ years in IT/Tech Support I started over at Tractor Supply putting away carts and carrying bags of bird seed for old ladies.  Then my past reared up and I ended up driving a fork lift at a mobile home factory, then they realized I had no idea how to drive a forklift so I started as a gofer in sales, got really fat, started to diet, past reared up and ended up making the fanciest cardboard boxes you could imagine for International Paper.  Well, DuPont, but the process was the most intense labor/dance you had to master.  At that point I was down to under 200 pounds after being up to 270 and not weighing less than 250 for 20 years.  Then I went to work with my oldest friends company building fences.  Did the lifting and carrying of all the heavy stuff until my back went out after about 3 months.  Now I am back as the tech guy for the company and make more than I ever did in IT before and love what I get to do.  It took going through that hell to get to the point where I am, and I'm still a bit of a mess, but at least I'm not a drain on my parents (who, my father being Tier 1 in NY State teachers union has had nothing to do but travel the world since he retired at 55 with my mom who also worked in the school system, but that's probably a whole other story of boomers good things they got and then slamming the door on it the when other people wanted it too).  Gen X Pride! or something.  There's my first step for the evening, lol

*I could only do this because of generational wealth and the support of my family.  I am ridiculously blessed in the support I have been given for all the things I have done in my life.  Without the privileges I have I would not be here today*

this excess benefits for govt employees can't last.  it's already getting cut down.  the boomers don't care, they got their money/benefits. 

(although if you have generational wealth my guess is your parents didn't need to be teachers)

>>>>>but at least I'm not a drain on my parents (who, my father being Tier 1 in NY State teachers union has had nothing to do but travel the world since he retired at 55 with my mom who also worked in the school system, but that's probably a whole other story of boomers good things they got and then slamming the door on it the when other people wanted it too). 

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

I moved out the day I turned 18.  Couldn’t wait to get out.  I can’t imagine wanting to stay a day longer than that.

I see parents that want the kids home, they see themselves as parents and can't vision themselves with out kids in the house.  

That then produces kids who think it's OK.  Me???  I'm with you.  I left about 6 months after college.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 6:56 PM, southparkcpa said:

So I moved from NY in 1995. My 2 daughters both finished college and within a year or so had their own place, job etc.

3 college buddies who still live on LI have kids ranging from 25 to 32 and they still live at home.

How common is it that a kid 25, 30 etc… still lives at home. Is this a NY thing as costs or high?

Seems odd to me.  

Any thoughts on the subject????

My sons can live with us as long as they want. I love them and love being with them. Now, I also want Grandkids which will be a tough prop as I'm 51 and my boys are 10 and 13, but I'm here for them for as long as I'm still here. 

58 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

My sons can live with us as long as they want. I love them and love being with them. Now, I also want Grandkids which will be a tough prop as I'm 51 and my boys are 10 and 13, but I'm here for them for as long as I'm still here. 

So you'd be OK with a 34 year old man living in his bedroom in your house?  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

So you'd be OK with a 34 year old man living in his bedroom in your house?  

My parents were when I got out of the Army and came home to go to Fire School. ..

I mean, are you asking random 34 year old men to live in your house, or are you talking about you own adult children? 🤔 

Update. 

my daughter is moving into a 3 room apartment with a couple and another girl.  Her rent is 800.  A one person rental in the same building is 1,800 to 2,700. This is a gorgeous complex in Danbury.  She’s lucky , her Santa fe is hanging in there , but needed brakes for both axles and 4 tires. That lightening her savings lol. 

She’s on our health plan, we cover her cell phone but she’s getting kicked off the car insurance next month. after taxes and 401k withholding her monthly take home is 3800. Really nice for a new grad. 

if she tried to go alone and lease a decent car, her expenses are probably 2500 before groceries, gas , car insurance. So her monthly expenses would be around 3,000.  Rough number obviously.  So she’s got like 800 a month to work with for discretionary spending and savings.  She’s OBSESSED. with building her savings, so would probably target 500 a month for savings. That leaves her 300 a month for fun   Yes, she would have her own place and a new car but she’s very lucky to have chosen a profession in high demand and high pay. 

Average salary in 2022 is 55k for new grads Let’s call that a monthly take home of 3000.  Plug those numbers into her scenario and she has no savings or fun money. 

On 10/20/2022 at 7:24 PM, Nolder said:

Even STEM isn't what it used to be from what I've seen some people say online, although that's not first had knowledge on my part admittedly. Glad they seem to be succeeding though. I mean I'll even say a useless degree like polisci or god forbid English can still get a job, it's just harder with more competition.

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey!

My daughter, 33, just got a job offer for $170K annually. Poly sci baby!!!!  :)  It was after 10 years very relevant experience.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

My daughter, 33, just got a job offer for $170K annually. Poly sci baby!!!!  :)  It was after 10 years very relevant experience.

What possesses anyone to get a polisci degree is beyond my comprehension but $170k/y is pretty damn good so good for her. Congrats. 

She's only a year older than me...maybe I shouldn't diss polisci after all. 😂 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nolder said:

What possesses anyone to get a polisci degree is beyond my comprehension but $170k/y is pretty damn good so good for her. Congrats. 

She's only a year older than me...maybe I shouldn't diss polisci after all. 😂 

I teach the subject and while I respect the dissing of my field this is incredibly short-sighted. In the past year alone I've sent several students off to law school (2 Ivy League) a few more to MPA and MPP programs, and several others leveraged experience and internships for full-time jobs with analytics companies, political campaigns, and staff positions at every single level of government A past mentee of mine recently headed the entire quantitative wing of the Kelly campaign with the skills they acquired working in our department and going no further than their BA. I respect the effort to be a dick and actually encourage it but this aggression will not stand.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I teach the subject and while I respect the dissing of my field this is incredibly short-sighted. In the past year alone I've sent several students off to law school (2 Ivy League) a few more to MPA and MPP programs, and several others leveraged experience and internships for full-time jobs with analytics companies, political campaigns, and staff positions at every single level of government A past mentee of mine recently headed the entire quantitative wing of the Kelly campaign with the skills they acquired working in our department and going no further than their BA. I respect the effort to be a dick and actually encourage it but this aggression will not stand.

^^ mad political scientist 

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

As a news and politics junkie I have nothing but respect for you and your students. Far too few people are interested in how things actually work with regards to government and politics and I think that is at least in part responsible for a lot of the division we see. So whenever anyone takes the time to get interested in it, let alone involved, I think that is commendable. That said I don't understand why it's a subject taught in schools and such. It's like...I don't know....like learning to flip a coin and land it on it's side. If someone does it I'm impressed but I don't see the reason to teach people how to do it and give degrees for it. It's just something people get involved in or not.