Kids still live at home after age 25????

6 hours ago, Nolder said:

As a news and politics junkie I have nothing but respect for you and your students. Far too few people are interested in how things actually work with regards to government and politics and I think that is at least in part responsible for a lot of the division we see. So whenever anyone takes the time to get interested in it, let alone involved, I think that is commendable. That said I don't understand why it's a subject taught in schools and such. It's like...I don't know....like learning to flip a coin and land it on it's side. If someone does it I'm impressed but I don't see the reason to teach people how to do it and give degrees for it. It's just something people get involved in or not.

You're speaking about partisan politics, not aspects of policy and law, and even some areas of data sciences, which have actual professions that often require degrees. Following the news and politics is a wonderful thing to do from a civic engagement standpoint, but that's not the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You're speaking about partisan politics, not aspects of policy and law, and even some areas of data sciences, which have actual professions that often require degrees. Following the news and politics is a wonderful thing to do from a civic engagement standpoint, but that's not the field. 

All of it. And also general civics as well. I know people who still have no idea how to fill out and file their taxes let alone who their congressional representative is. We often talk about how students are falling behind in reading and math, sometimes someone will mention disappearing drivers ed and machine shop class as well, but no one seems to be paying any attention to the incredible lack of attention to civics. It's just not something most people care about.

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

All of it. And also general civics as well. I know people who still have no idea how to fill out and file their taxes let alone who their congressional representative is. We often talk about how students are falling behind in reading and math, sometimes someone will mention disappearing drivers ed and machine shop class as well, but no one seems to be paying any attention to the incredible lack of attention to civics. It's just not something most people care about.

Again, literally none of the above is political science. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2022 at 9:18 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I teach the subject and while I respect the dissing of my field this is incredibly short-sighted. In the past year alone I've sent several students off to law school (2 Ivy League) a few more to MPA and MPP programs, and several others leveraged experience and internships for full-time jobs with analytics companies, political campaigns, and staff positions at every single level of government A past mentee of mine recently headed the entire quantitative wing of the Kelly campaign with the skills they acquired working in our department and going no further than their BA. I respect the effort to be a dick and actually encourage it but this aggression will not stand.

I love the fact that you think you're defending the usefulness of your field with the fact that you're churning out more lawyers, politicians and bureaucrats. 

• Haha 2

On 11/20/2022 at 7:17 PM, Larz said:

Update. 

my daughter is moving into a 3 room apartment with a couple and another girl.  Her rent is 800.  A one person rental in the same building is 1,800 to 2,700. This is a gorgeous complex in Danbury.  She’s lucky , her Santa fe is hanging in there , but needed brakes for both axles and 4 tires. That lightening her savings lol. 

She’s on our health plan, we cover her cell phone but she’s getting kicked off the car insurance next month. after taxes and 401k withholding her monthly take home is 3800. Really nice for a new grad. 

if she tried to go alone and lease a decent car, her expenses are probably 2500 before groceries, gas , car insurance. So her monthly expenses would be around 3,000.  Rough number obviously.  So she’s got like 800 a month to work with for discretionary spending and savings.  She’s OBSESSED. with building her savings, so would probably target 500 a month for savings. That leaves her 300 a month for fun   Yes, she would have her own place and a new car but she’s very lucky to have chosen a profession in high demand and high pay. 

Average salary in 2022 is 55k for new grads Let’s call that a monthly take home of 3000.  Plug those numbers into her scenario and she has no savings or fun money. 

nobody making $55k a year is paying 35% tax rate (or 30% and 5% 401k withholding).

although your point remains accurate.

what this reminds me of is my daughter (9 year old) asking me why 3 of her friends were having a birthday party together. I say money.  she's says no way.

so she tries to work out a monthly budget using a 25k a month pre-tax salary.  she runs out of money without going on vacations and paying the nanny lol.  told her she's got to either work harder or give up some items if she wants to survive.

and then i tell her the average family salary is probably 8k a month (in Manhattan) and she realizes why people have combined birthday parties and why mommy and daddy only allow birthday parties every other year.