Game Observations (GB)

KRL

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct.

Zach seems to be a guy that's better when he's warmed up in groove a bit.  I have little doubt had they needed him he would have stepped up - as he has in the other two wins in the 4ht quarter.

Zach needs to get going sooner.  I am thrilled with the win, but you can't have games with 2 first downs in the 1st half.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Great all around performance.  This roster is talented.  It's nice seeing guys like Rankins and Quincy really elevate their games from last year.

That being said, the 3-0 record these past 3 weeks should not be attributed to Wilson alone.  Sure the QB gets the blame/praise but he seriously needs to step up his game.  I honestly expected him to be farther along than he's shown so far this year.

There are just too many instances during games where he, and the O by extension, are completely dysfunctional.

Not an unfair assessment. 

The defense actually looks like they're having fun out there. The d line especially. 

I was pretty critical of Garrett Wilson today but seeing the replay on a few passes to him showed them pretty badly off target behind him. Not that that completely  excuses Garrett for his play the last two games,  he's had a few drops he reall should've caught. 

It's almost like Zach is not taking playing seriously yet. Like he still has that i got the ability, it'll all work out attitude. 

Damn good win.

• WTF? 1

Solid post as usual. The team seems to be learning and improving in general. They’re winning the turnover battle, and not letting the soj stuff get them.  That phantom first down in the first qtr would have led to a Td for the pack last year and they never would have looked back. This is a pretty decent team. 

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, they literally didn’t throw a pass in the 4th quarter. Can’t blame him for that.

I think you can blame him for that.  If he played great over the first 3 quarters, I'm sure the CS would've been more likely to trust him throwing the ball in the 4th quarter.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct.

Zach seems to be a guy that's better when he's warmed up in groove a bit.  I have little doubt had they needed him he would have stepped up - as he has in the other two wins in the 4ht quarter.

they do have to figure out how to get him comfortable early though, but I think that will come with time..

Being able to deliver when it matters is the hard part.

Except foraybe 3 passes, Zach was a non-factor. Fortunately  it didn't  matter, GB had no answer for the run today. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think you can blame him for that.  If he played great over the first 3 quarters, I'm sure the CS would've been more likely to trust him throwing the ball in the 4th quarter.

If the other team can't stop the run there is never a reason to pass.  In the 4th quarter the the Packers couldn't stop the run - therefor no reason to throw.

Joe Namath didn't throw the ball once in the 4th quarter of Super Bowl III - was that because the coaches didn't trust him?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If the other team can't stop the run there is never a reason to pass.  In the 4th quarter the the Packers couldn't stop the run - therefor no reason to throw.

Joe Namath didn't throw the ball once in the 4th quarter of Super Bowl III - was that because the coaches didn't trust him?

I think the NFL was slightly different back in 1969.

11 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Rex’s d was a highly leveraged pos that required everyone to not be hurt. Our linchpins pass rushers we’re jags Calvin pace and a 35 year old jason Taylor. We never could get a good number 2 cb. David Harris could be exposed in coverage and Bart Scott was ineffective if he got hurt. 

this defense is absolutely way better than anything Rex has fielded.

I’m a Rex Ryan fan and agree with this. One of the primary reason’s Rex had the #1 defense his first year was because of the Jets grounding & pounding on offense, controlling the clock, and keeping them off the field. Can’t put up any offense if you’re sitting on the sidelines. He also effectively blitzed on every down from the 3-4. 

The DL rotation that had angry tears bursting out of many posters’ eyes here over the summer is proving to be absolutely dominant. The secondary last year was a patchwork, this year it’s looking elite - especially after ironing out their communication issues from early in the season. This defense is doing it on their own, without blitzing. It’s impressive. 

There were people on the board expecting the Pack to rush all over the Jets after the gashing (lol) they endured in their 23-point victory over the fish. They ran for all of 60 yards yesterday and their HoF QB got beaten up convincingly in one of the toughest places to get a road win in the league. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

100% agreed.  

They/He has to figure this out.  

He did, IMO, had that rookie deer in the headlight look the first part of the game today.  Was it Lambeau? Playing against Rodgers? Whatever   He needs to fix it. 

But cut to the second half, see the look in his eyes in the huddle, a completely different player.  You saw a guy that wanted to win and he started to make plays.  Honestly, they literally didn’t throw a pass in the 4th quarter. Can’t blame him for that.    

Good that he’s a closer, but he needs to become a better starter too.  

Why I’m not too concerned about it is the closer piece seems to be the more import piece in winning int he NFL.  
With that said, I completely agree with you.  He needs tp figure it out, but as long as they’re winning he has more time to work through whatever it is that’s causing these slow starts.  

Are those Zach's pronouns?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m a Rex Ryan fan and agree with this. One of the primary reason’s Rex had the #1 defense his first year was because of the Jets grounding & pounding on offense, controlling the clock, and keeping them off the field. Can’t put up any offense if you’re sitting on the sidelines. He also effectively blitzed on every down from the 3-4. 

The DL rotation that had angry tears bursting out of many posters’ eyes here over the summer is proving to be absolutely dominant. The secondary last year was a patchwork, this year it’s looking elite - especially after ironing out their communication issues from early in the season. This defense is doing it on their own, without blitzing. It’s impressive. 

There were people on the board expecting the Pack to rush all over the Jets after the gashing (lol) they endured in their 23-point victory over the fish. They ran for all of 60 yards yesterday and their HoF QB got beaten up convincingly in one of the toughest places to get a road win in the league. 

Rex wasn't an O guy. He just wanted to ground and pound. He would only let Sanchez throw when needed and he never matured. The team was also filled with mostly Vets. The result, the team would get tired and special teams was limited without the young depth players. The other problem is that while ground and pound and his defense worked against most teams - it didn't work on the elite teams; this is why he couldn't get passed the AFCC games. However, it was a fun couple of years.

Hear is hoping that the team is built for the long run :-)

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nope.

Its because he was smart and knew he didn’t have to pass and just wanted to run the clock out and leave with the win

Remember, Joe called his own plays

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Just as Zach was getting hot, we didnt need him anymore.  These blowouts are not condusive to big passing numbers.  If anythng, we are startig to looking like Rex's afc championship teams.

welcome to ground and pound.  the titans have been doing this for the past few years. they say it's a passing league but there's nothing wrong with running the ball and eating up clock.  both hall and carter are really good backs and the oline is starting to come together.