Play calling at end of the first half

Is it just me, or was the play calling at the end of the first half beyond dumb?  At the time Zach couldn’t throw worth a sh!t and the running game was clicking, but sure let’s try to throw it on 3rd and 1 with 36 seconds left on the clock (with at least ten second left on the play clock and with GB having two timeouts).  After that fails and with the clock stopped at 36 seconds they then opt to try a 53 yard FG instead of going for it on 4th and 1 with a running play.  Keep in mind that a missed FG is worse than going for it on 4th because it moves GB 7 yards closer to FG range.   Predictably Rodgers moves the Packers to within FG range and GB tied it up with a FG.

I’m happy for the win but I’m hoping LeFleur gets called out for this stupidity.

• Upvote 3

Is it just me, or was the play calling at the end of the first half beyond dumb?  At the time Zach couldn’t throw worth a sh!t and the running game was clicking, but sure let’s try to throw it on 3rd and 1 with 36 seconds left on the clock (with at least ten second left on the play clock and with GB having two timeouts).  After that fails and with the clock stopped at 36 seconds they then opt to try a 53 yard FG instead of going for it on 4th and 1 with a running play.  Keep in mind that a missed FG is worse than going for it on 4th because it moves GB 7 yards closer to FG range.   Predictably Rodgers moves the Packers to within FG range and GB tied it up with a FG.
I’m happy for the win but I’m hoping LeFleur gets called out for this stupidity.

You are absolutely right. They were getting 5 yard chunks on the ground. Run it twice get closer or maybe put it in the end zone. I was screaming about this scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There belief in Zuerlin scares me.  The only time I want him attempting 50 yards kicks is for game winners or to end the half.  He is not good enough to be taking these mid game and then giving the opponent excellent field position.

On the ohter hand, if Zuerlin does not make a 56 yarder early in the 4th in Cleveland, we probably lose that game.  In fairness, I was screaming to punt when it happened.  But before today's miss he was 3 for 3 at 50+.

• Upvote 1