Jump to content

Jet fans have gone from "Fire Everyone" to "The window to win a Super Bowl in now".


Recommended Posts

On 10/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, slats said:

I think we can agree that Zach is going to -at a minimum- get the rest of this season as the team’s starting QB. There’s 11 games left. I don’t understand the need to have the hypothetical what if conversation now. The team has been playing better since he returned the lineup, this after missing the last few weeks of camp and the first few of the regular season. Why not wait and see how it plays out?
 
By the end of the year, there will be no need for the hypothetical. We’ll have a very good idea of what he is. That will be a great time to talk about replacing him or not because, again, he’s not getting replaced this year and we all know it. 
 
The Jets are actually winning. I know we’re usually talking about what we’re gonna do in the offseason at this time of year but, right now, I know that I’d prefer to just enjoy the unusually solid start. 

Unless Zach suffers another serious injury this year, if he continues to play the way he is now, they aren't bringing someone in to challenge him next year. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Joe Flacco isn't the answer either.  But, I think it's also hard not to acknowledge that the team is playing at a much higher level now, including the offensive line and the defense then when Flacco was in.  In fact, the only position group not playing as well is the WRs, who are most impacted by who's at QB.  I think we can agree that the makeshift offensive line has settled a bit, and Brown is back, so that's helped.  Also, the Ravens 24 points were the least allowed in the first 3 games, while the Steelers 20 was the most in the past 3.  Point being, I don't think the QB change was the catalyst of going from 1-2 to 3-0.

I have no idea if they could hide Flacco because they obviously weren't trying to given the amount of passes he was throwing. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, football guy said:

Eh I don't see things this way. This isn't a situation like how the Jets used Sanchez way back when; they're not game planning around him and running just to run, rather they're running to close out games. There have been a lot of things that contributed to the stagnant stretches of offense and Zach has contributed towards that, but I disagree that they are deliberately game planning in a way to minimize his impact on the game... I don't care what the analytics nerds say, that's just objectively wrong. 

As I mentioned previously, he did not have a good game against Green Bay early on, but they weren't "hiding" him. First drive of the game they're asking him to throw an out to Garrett Wilson against the Packers' best defender to gain 1 yard on 3rd down... 14 of the first 27 plays were pass plays (including the 2 penalties which were also pass plays). In the 3rd quarter, they called 6 passes to 5 runs. The next play of that drive occurred in the 4th quarter, which was a Breece Hall TD. They did not throw a single pass in the 4th quarter. Against Miami, they came out passing. We dropped back to throw 16 of 30 times in the first half and were up 19 to 14 going into the second half. Miami scored a FG to open the second half, the Jets continued to call a balanced attack in the 3rd quarter, then to open up the 4th quarter Zach completes 3-of-3 passes for 45 yards with Michael Carter punching it in from the 1 to conclude a 7 play, 56 yard drive. Next play Miami fumbles, we run 1 play and score. No need to pass for the rest of the game. 

We can go on and on about this, but I think you're associating the lack of passing with an intent to hide Zach which couldn't be further from the case. It just so happens that they've been much more competitive since Zach has been in the lineup, which has allowed them to run the offense they want to run - a balanced "Shanahan" offense that utilizes the run and play-action to set up the pass. They haven't abandoned the passing offense until they have a 10+ point leads, which has been the case the last 2 weeks. But if its a one score game or coming from behind, the entire playbook is open for Zach...   

That's not objectively wrong, that is your opinion. The following graph shows how significantly higher the team's rushing attempts have risen since the Pittsburgh game. What's been the biggest change since that game? The QB. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/jets-rush-attempts-by-week

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

This is absolutely hysterical.  3 weeks after this fanbase wanted everyone fired, they are now concerned that our window is here and we need to win a Super Bowl ASAP.

Jet fans.........................R-E-L-A-X

Just enjoy the winning.  No one is getting fired nor is this team winning a Super Bowl.  We are in month 21 of a ground up rebuild, we have a qb who is learning on the job and has a ways to go, we have young coordinators who are starting to figure things out etc etc etc.

There are post wondering how are we going to resign all of these guys 3-4 years from now.  

Again, why is anyone even thinking of that?  Its like your searching for problems and misery.

This GM and Coach are building a team that will be dominant for a decade plus.  We have a generational GM who will figure out how to keep this all together for years to come.  As fans, just enjoy the winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply put, its hard to admit you were wrong. 

Especially when you have strong, negative opinions. 

Nobody wants to say- hey I was wrong that this was going to be a good team, that we were going to be 4-2 after the first 6 games. So instead they say- yeah, but Zach still sucks, but the coaching still sucks, but we played a bunch of backups, etc., etc. 

Some will even pivot completely the other direction and say WE ONLY HAVE A 'X' YEAR WINDOW TO WIN! lol 

But this is natural, nothing new. 

Pokemon Swag GIF 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Unless Zach suffers another serious injury this year, if he continues to play the way he is now, they aren't bringing someone in to challenge him next year. 

I think they will absolutely bring in a viable challenger for him unless he drastically improves over the course of this season. They’ll do everything they can to stack the deck for him, but there’s no way they’re leaving themselves completely disarmed in the event they’re still getting this little production out of QB1. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think they will absolutely bring in a viable challenger for him unless he drastically improves over the course of this season. They’ll do everything they can to stack the deck for him, but there’s no way they’re leaving themselves completely disarmed in the event they’re still getting this little production out of QB1. 

JD is not a moron. He knows what he has. No way he wastes what he has built waiting for Gadot if the QB doesn't show out this year. 0% chance.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD is not a moron. He knows what he has. No way he wastes what he has built waiting for Gadot if the QB doesn't show out this year. 0% chance.

They were up 14 with three minutes left and they called a naked bootleg for him on the goal line and he got crushed. The next play was QB draw. They’re not doing that if they’re all that worried about who’s playing QB1 right now. lol

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They were up 14 with three minutes left and they called a naked bootleg for him on the goal line and he got crushed. The next play was QB draw. They’re not doing that if they’re all that worried about who’s playing QB1 right now. lol

Jd is a hateR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, slats said:

I think we can agree that Zach is going to -at a minimum- get the rest of this season as the team’s starting QB.

I would say that is a safe bet, yes.  

But since I do love to Devil's Advocate......

On 10/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, slats said:

There’s 11 games left. I don’t understand the need to have the hypothetical what if conversation now.

I'd wager you understand it just fine, as it certainly isn't rocket science......some fans have watched Zach, and do not believe Zach is the guy.  

There, your inability to understand has been solved!  I take tips, btw.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, slats said:

The team has been playing better since he returned the lineup, this after missing the last few weeks of camp and the first few of the regular season.

The team has been winning more.

The Defense has played better.

The Rushing game has been much improved.

The Passing game.....has not improved.  Zach remains amongst the lowest producing QB's in the NFL, so far.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, slats said:

Why not wait and see how it plays out?

Why not evaluate as we go along?

On 10/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, slats said:

By the end of the year, there will be no need for the hypothetical. We’ll have a very good idea of what he is. That will be a great time to talk about replacing him or not because, again, he’s not getting replaced this year and we all know it.

Nothing stopping you from waiting, if that's your preference. 

But then I have to ask why you're here posting now, when you clearly prefer to wait.

I look forward to your next post, circa....lets see......January?  See you then Mr. "I Want to Wait Before Having Opinions", lol.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, slats said:

The Jets are actually winning. I know we’re usually talking about what we’re gonna do in the offseason at this time of year but, right now, I know that I’d prefer to just enjoy the unusually solid start. 

"I'd prefer".

You may want to consider that your preferences may not be universal, and that others may prefer other things.

#LetsPeopleBePeople

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I would say that is a safe bet, yes.  

But since I do love to Devil's Advocate......

I'd wager you understand it just fine, as it certainly isn't rocket science......some fans have watched Zach, and do not believe Zach is the guy.  

There, your inability to understand has been solved!  I take tips, btw.

The team has been winning more.

The Defense has played better.

The Rushing game has been much improved.

The Passing game.....has not improved.  Zach remains amongst the lowest producing QB's in the NFL, so far.

Why not evaluate as we go along?

Nothing stopping you from waiting, if that's your preference. 

But then I have to ask why you're here posting now, when you clearly prefer to wait.

I look forward to your next post, circa....lets see......January?  See you then Mr. "I Want to Wait Before Having Opinions", lol.

"I'd prefer".

You may want to consider that your preferences may not be universal, and that others may prefer other things.

#LetsPeopleBePeople

Nice try but when a system has the same outputs regardless of what is put into it, the only logical response is to stop inputting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

I mean, sure, if you want to be overly pedantic, you're probably right about your phrasing.  But, for the rest of us who aren't writing novellas in every post, thinking it was anything other than terrible if the Jets would have kept Sam Darnold, regardless of Zach Wilson, was bad and proven quickly and hilariously wrong.

My take, which you're welcome to call whatever you like, is that Zach Wilson isn't good.  The data backs that up - calls it a slam dunk, in fact.  My other take is that the game plan shifted once Wilson returned is also backed up by some data - even if some contextual factors play a role.  By the way, my take is in support of the coaches.  It's good that they changed the gameplan once Wilson returned - smart.

I write novels when I do post for one to be thorough, but mainly because nothing despises me more than someone who tries to make a accusatory claim that is totally off base. If you don't have the time, attention, or ability to read, then don't try and twist someone's words as a means to defend your own horrible takes. Your take that Zach isn't good is fine. That's an opinion you've generated by relying on statistics to forecast a conclusion. I merely said that the Jets as an organization do not take the stats into account and are thrilled with how he has operated within the offense this year. You said if he only has 15 TDs this year the Jets have to move on, whereas I'm telling you they won't because that's not how they evaluate performance... if its your opinion that they will move on then its an incorrect one; if its your opinion that they should is a totally different discussion. 

Where things turned south for me is your bold proclamation that the offense changed when Wilson returned because they did not feel Zach was capable of running it the way it was designed to be run. That's not an opinion nor is it an analysis - that's being ignorant and misinformed. If anything, the playbook opened up, specifically as it related to bootlegs, designed pocket movement, stretch-runs, and trick-plays because Flacco was a limited athlete. Otherwise, to say that the game plan was simplified, became more conservative, or that their method of attack changed because of Zach Wilson is a horrific take without data to back it up. The staple of a Shanahan offense is play-action passing. 34.1% of Zach's dropbacks have been play-action, and his Average Depth of Target on such throws is 14.7 yards. 17.0% of Joe's were play-action with an ADOT of 10.6 yards. Comparatively speaking, other starting QBs who are playing in a similar "Shanahan" scheme: Marcus Mariota is 47.6%, Tua Tagovailoa is 41.8%, Aaron Rodgers is 27.9%, Jimmy Garoppolo is 23.6%...

As far as where the Jets are attacking the field: 12% of Zach's attempts have been behind the LOS vs. 9.7% for Flacco. 44.0% of Zach's passes have been short 0-9 yards vs. 44.5% for Flacco. 18.7% of Zach's attempts have been in the intermediate 10-19 range vs. 23.9% for Flacco. 10.7% of Zach's attempts have travelled 20+ down the field vs. 8.4% for Flacco. Zach's AY/A is 8.6 to Flacco's 8.1. The kind of passing concepts run by the Jets with Zach is virtually identical to those with Flacco- ironically the primary difference is Zach has spread the ball around whereas Flacco was going first-read or checkdown. 

The only backup you can point to is dropbacks and pass attempts, which again, are always going to be higher when the team is playing from behind or is in a close game versus winning by 2+ scores. You can't point to anything else, nor will you, because you choose to die on this hill. For what reason I do not know, but I'm in the arguing mood so happy to rebut any "evidence" you seem to have that points to the offensive game plan being "simplified" or becoming "more conservative" in spite of Zach Wilson as opposed to game script. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2022 at 10:04 AM, T0mShane said:

Only the dimmest Jets fans are saying “Super Bowl?/!” right now. Absolute dullards. Personally, I’m in the “We can’t fire them yet, but make sure we get three disciplinary write-ups in the personnel file so we’re in compliance in the event we have to fire them” group. 

There is a happy medium; for me JD is not going anywhere; the CS has showed some improvement, but has not bought any time as they were going to get this year for sure and maybe next year - I think that is where we still are, but it is looking up.

This is the NFL, not a government job, so you don't need a reason to fire them - and whatever is in the file, other than a breach of contract isn't going to get you out of paying the remaining contract for HC nor GM.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

That's not objectively wrong, that is your opinion. The following graph shows how significantly higher the team's rushing attempts have risen since the Pittsburgh game. What's been the biggest change since that game? The QB. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/jets-rush-attempts-by-week

 

Track the rushing attempts per situation. When the Jets are down they run a lot less. When they're up they run a lot more. When the games are close they run a balanced offense. 

This should not be surprising. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

As has been mentioned many times, the biggest change has been game script due to not playing from behind.

The Jets were losing to their opponents for 155 out of 180 minutes in the first three games.  The Jets were beating their opponents for 1 out of 180 minutes in the first three games.  One minute playing with a lead in three full games!

These metrics have flipped dramatically in the past three games.

Do we think the Jets spent picks 10 and 34 on wide receivers, spent $16 million this year on two TEs, gave Corey Davis $38 million dollars and burned the #2 overall pick on a quarterback so they can get to a place where they’re effectively running the wing-T? Obviously not. They’re doing it as a reaction to what the QB is giving them right now. Good on them for recognizing that relying on Zach’s passing skills to win games was a short road to hell, but let’s not act like this was the plan all along. No. This is the response.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

There is a happy medium; for me JD is not going anywhere; the CS has showed some improvement, but has not bought any time as they were going to get this year for sure and maybe next year - I think that is where we still are, but it is looking up.

This is the NFL, not a government job, so you don't need a reason to fire them - and whatever is in the file, other than a breach of contract isn't going to get you out of paying the remaining contract for HC nor GM.

I was being cheeky. Anything better than a three win disaster of a season was going to result in everyone keeping their jobs. Once they cleared that hurdle, they were obviously locked in for years to come

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I was being cheeky. Anything better than a three win disaster of a season was going to result in everyone keeping their jobs. Once they cleared that hurdle, they were obviously locked in for years to come

no worries; I can't believe the SB talk either. We may, emphasis MAY, be a good team (next 4 games will show more), but we are NOT and elite team yet - so SB especially with 2 elite teams in the AFC means no AFCC game, let alone SB, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

no worries; I can't believe the SB talk either. We may, emphasis MAY, be a good team (next 4 games will show more), but we are NOT and elite team yet - so SB especially with 2 elite teams in the AFC means no AFCC game, let alone SB, IMO.

Plenty of non-elite teams make the super bowl.  The Chiefs and Bills were in the league last year and the Bengals still made the super bowl.  I don't see the Jets as a super bowl team, but at least they will hopefully be in contention for a playoff spot. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

no worries; I can't believe the SB talk either. We may, emphasis MAY, be a good team (next 4 games will show more), but we are NOT and elite team yet - so SB especially with 2 elite teams in the AFC means no AFCC game, let alone SB, IMO.

Not to be a downer but, at full strength, we’re probably the fourth best team in the division. It was a 19-17 ballgame heading into the fourth against the Dolphins’ rookie third stringer who got no practice time, the Pats are humming right now, and the Bills are going to kill us twice in the next month. Let’s focus on beating the Bears and Jags to pad the ol’ resume later in the year.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be a downer but, at full strength, we’re probably the fourth best team in the division. It was a 19-17 ballgame heading into the fourth against the Dolphins’ rookie third stringer who got no practice time, the Pats are humming right now, and the Bills are going to kill us twice in the next month. Let’s focus on beating the Bears and Jags to pad the ol’ resume later in the year.

Downer

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re doing it as a reaction to what the QB is giving them right now. Good on them for recognizing that relying on Zach’s passing skills to win games was a short road to hell, but let’s not act like this was the plan all along. No. This is the response.

They are running the offense they want to run when playing with the lead.  In all of the past three games, when the game situation called for passing and chunks plays, they opened things up, and Zach delivered.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2022 at 5:04 PM, undertow said:

Exactly.  People need to start examining Wilson honestly and stop hero worshiping him.... the last thing the franchise should do is waste their window making excuses for a below average QB....could care less if we win a SB with Zach or Jimmy G.

You think JD hero worships Zach Wilson.   I never considered that as a possibility.  Interesting take.  

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be a downer but, at full strength, we’re probably the fourth best team in the division. It was a 19-17 ballgame heading into the fourth against the Dolphins’ rookie third stringer who got no practice time, the Pats are humming right now, and the Bills are going to kill us twice in the next month. Let’s focus on beating the Bears and Jags to pad the ol’ resume later in the year.

I am shocked, yes shocked with your response - go figure...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

That's not objectively wrong, that is your opinion. The following graph shows how significantly higher the team's rushing attempts have risen since the Pittsburgh game. What's been the biggest change since that game? The QB. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/jets-rush-attempts-by-week

 

Which is perfectly fine.

If they are running the ball alit it means they are ahead and winning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, football guy said:

This is where I bang my head on the table though. If you ask any reputable talent evaluator or scout to review the small sample of Zach's performances through these 3 games this year versus Sam's best 3 games in his 2nd season, not a single individual would say that Sam had a more impressive performance with the exception being possibly the Raiders game. The same people who get so invested in the stats are the ones who were saying "the Jets have a real chance in 2020 because Tom Brady is gone and Josh Allen is a bust"... there's a lot more that you have to look at which stats do not capture.

Regardless, we're not going to be winning every game for the majority of the time. There will be games that we're down by a little, down by a lot, or tied. Zach is going to throw the ball, and if anyone needs to receipt this they can plaster it on their living room wall. But its just an asinine take to act like the team is coddling him when they are calling the game the way they would call it regardless who the QB is in these situations... if they're winning by 7+ points or more they're going to lean on the run game; that's how this team is built. 

It isn't rocket science... teams throw the ball more when they are playing from behind/losing games. 

Through Zach's 15 career starts which he played a full game (eliminating @NE 2021 due to injury), here are his splits: 

  • Win by 7+ points: 19.5 ATT/G (2 games) 
  • Win by 1-7 points: 29.0 ATT/G (4 games) 
  • Lose by 1-7 points: 31.25 ATT/G (4 games) 
  • Lose by 7+ points: 33.6 ATT/G (5 games) 


For all those who want to compare to Josh Allen's usage in his first and second year, look at his splits in his first 26 starts (eliminating NYJ 2019 because he played 2 series): 

  • Win by 7+ points: 25.75 ATT/G (8 games) 
  • Win by 1-7 points: 27.7 ATT/G (7 games) 
  • Lose by 1-7 points: 31.4 ATT/G (7 games) 
  • Lose by 7+ points: 35.25 ATT/G (4 games) 

 

Again, not rocket science. Most teams pass less when they have leads. Understandably as a fan you want to see Zach have more TDs and less INTs, which will come, but this whole notion that they are purposefully trying to "hide" him, or that they have to call a more "simple" offense when he's in, is just ridiculous. If Zach's 3 pass plays didn't get stopped at the 1 yard line, this entire narrative gets blown to shreds. It's mind boggling.  

For those who want to see his stats pop off the sheet like Kyler Murray's did in his 1st-2nd years, you might as well be rooting for the Jets to be playing from behind most games. Not only is it against the Shanahan offense philosophy, it is not sustainable. 

well us dumb fans look at stats. and Sams 3 best games....

Dallas- 71% comp 338 yds  2 TD 1 INT. 113 rate

Oak - 69% comp  315 yds  2 TD 0 INT   127 rate

Wash- 63% comp  293 yds  4TD  1 INT    121 rate

and Sam won all 3 of these games. in fact he went 7-6 that year.

Zach

Pitts-  50% comp  252 yds  1 TD 2 INT   59 rate

Miami- 66% comp  210  0 TD   0 INT     99 rate

GB-   55% comp    110  yds   0 TD  0 INT   73 rate

i really hope that talent evaluator who thinks Zachs 3 games are better than Sams doesnt work for us cause if he does he should be fired. i dont know in what world anybody thinks Zach had a better 3 games than Sam. and i wanted Sam gone so bad i threw a party when he got traded.

so what is the secret? if there not looking at stats that the entire world looks at them tell me how are they judging him? and dont tell me that he has some much talent cause there is a whole unemployment line full of 1st rd QBs who had just as much talent if not more and never put it together. 

i posted this in another thread. there were 22 QBs drafted in the last 10 years in rd 1. every single one had a big improvement in their 2nd year except of course Manzel who got cut after 6 games and Rosen who never had a 2nd season. right now Zach is on pace to be worst then all of them. and you want us to accept him getting a 3rd year? 

by the end of this year he has to show us something real. if he finishes with Mark Sanchez like numbers your not going to be able to tell us hes good and we dont know what were looking at. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, doitny said:

well us dumb fans look at stats. and Sams 3 best games....

Dallas- 71% comp 338 yds  2 TD 1 INT. 113 rate

Oak - 69% comp  315 yds  2 TD 0 INT   127 rate

Wash- 63% comp  293 yds  4TD  1 INT    121 rate

and Sam won all 3 of these games. in fact he went 7-6 that year.

Zach

Pitts-  50% comp  252 yds  1 TD 2 INT   59 rate

Miami- 66% comp  210  0 TD   0 INT     99 rate

GB-   55% comp    110  yds   0 TD  0 INT   73 rate

i really hope that talent evaluator who thinks Zachs 3 games are better than Sams doesnt work for us cause if he does he should be fired. i dont know in what world anybody thinks Zach had a better 3 games than Sam. and i wanted Sam gone so bad i threw a party when he got traded.

so what is the secret? if there not looking at stats that the entire world looks at them tell me how are they judging him? and dont tell me that he has some much talent cause there is a whole unemployment line full of 1st rd QBs who had just as much talent if not more and never put it together. 

i posted this in another thread. there were 22 QBs drafted in the last 10 years in rd 1. every single one had a big improvement in their 2nd year except of course Manzel who got cut after 6 games and Rosen who never had a 2nd season. right now Zach is on pace to be worst then all of them. and you want us to accept him getting a 3rd year? 

by the end of this year he has to show us something real. if he finishes with Mark Sanchez like numbers your not going to be able to tell us hes good and we dont know what were looking at. 

 

I’m not calling anyone dumb. I’m saying that coaches and evaluators alike are not putting weight into stats the way fans do. Whether he throws for 30 TDs or 15 TDs is far less important to them than his overall in-game management and efficiency. I’m not saying stats are irrelevant either — they’re relevant in context. The Jets are more interested in how Zach manages the game down-to-down + how he performs in high-leverage situations. The goal coming into this year was for him to master the little things that the Shanahan system demands out of a QB. Don’t feel the need to be a hero all the time; understand and trust his pre-snap reads, make the appropriate checks, understand and trust the protections, stick in the pocket and trust the play progressions, and when all else fails feel free to flip the switch into playmaker while limiting the turnover-worthy plays. It’s process over result. 

I’m not saying that Zach’s games were more impressive than Sam’s from a statistical/production output, rather, Zach has done what has been asked of him down-by-down better than Sam did and better than we saw out of Zach all last year… if you ask any talent evaluator or coach to rank Zach’s games against TEN (his best statistical performance), TB, PIT, MIA, and GB in a vacuum, they would say MIA was probably best, PIT, TB, GB, and TEN performance last by a wide margin. Why? He was inconsistent, didn’t play within the offense, and too often played hero ball. He got away with it and made big plays to win the game, but it wasn’t efficient nor is that kind of play sustainable. Sound familiar? (RE: Darnold in 2019)

Goal isn’t to minimize what Darnold did in those games either. Just keep in mind, he played in an offense that was pass first by design thus had more opportunities to throw and most of his production in all of those games were on busted coverages or outside of structure. They were impressive, and it’s a shame that Sam never had the opportunity to play with a staff who could teach him how to be more consistent down-to-down, but the overall point stands that at the NFL level coaches and scouts want to see how efficient a QB is running an offense. They drool at the sheer skill and talent (especially for prospects), but they put more weight on those who execute an offense the way it’s designed to run and a player’s ability to be efficient at the NFL level. This is what makes Mahomes and Allen so special; they came into the NFL as raw playmakers, have learned to master down-to-down tasks efficiently, and it has helped them evolve into highly efficient playmakers both inside-and-outside of structure. Sam never mastered the down-to-down and as a result he was a highly inconsistent across the board despite his playmaking ability; Zach is showing significant growth in his down-to-down efficiency and the hope is that this will help him become a highly efficient playmaker as well. If and when he is able to master the little stuff and become more efficient as a playmaker, that is when we will see fireworks. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2022 at 2:12 PM, ZachEY said:

Joe Flacco isn't the answer either.  But, I think it's also hard not to acknowledge that the team is playing at a much higher level now, including the offensive line and the defense then when Flacco was in.  In fact, the only position group not playing as well is the WRs, who are most impacted by who's at QB.  I think we can agree that the makeshift offensive line has settled a bit, and Brown is back, so that's helped.  Also, the Ravens 24 points were the least allowed in the first 3 games, while the Steelers 20 was the most in the past 3.  Point being, I don't think the QB change was the catalyst of going from 1-2 to 3-0.

So the team is playing at a higher level. The QB isn't making any mistakes and the running game is great.

But the QB gets no credit for the defense stacking the box less. He gets no credit for the 5 sacks he avoided in the Pittsburgh game with wild scrambles. He gets no credit for making the right call on RPOs.

Got it.

The defense is playing much better, that is a huge part of it. Probably the biggest part. But suggesting that the team is playing better after Zach returned and acting like that is a coincidence just isn't fair in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be a downer but, at full strength, we’re probably the fourth best team in the division. It was a 19-17 ballgame heading into the fourth against the Dolphins’ rookie third stringer who got no practice time, the Pats are humming right now, and the Bills are going to kill us twice in the next month. Let’s focus on beating the Bears and Jags to pad the ol’ resume later in the year.

At full strength the Jets have a dominant offensive line that makes this team much better.

This thread is a big stretch. If the Dolphins head coach was coaching here he would be laughed out of town. He has managed to call plays that has 3 different QBs getting hurt in 6 weeks.

The Jets are going to beat the Pats at home.  The Bills are the prize. Catching them this year isn't a realistic expectation but the Jets are the 2nd best team in this division. It will play out over the next few weeks.

The Pats are humming along and yet the Jets have the best 4th quarter consistently this year. Young coaching seems to be doing a good job here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

At full strength the Jets have a dominant offensive line that makes this team much better.

This thread is a big stretch. If the Dolphins head coach was coaching here he would be laughed out of town. He has managed to call plays that has 3 different QBs getting hurt in 6 weeks.

The Jets are going to beat the Pats at home.  The Bills are the prize. Catching them this year isn't a realistic expectation but the Jets are the 2nd best team in this division. It will play out over the next few weeks.

The Pats are humming along and yet the Jets have the best 4th quarter consistently this year. Young coaching seems to be doing a good job here.

You’re on your JN yacht anchored off the Florida Keys trying to bait me into making a negative post so you can reap the fruits of my getting screamed at so you can buy the upgraded dinghy and you know what? I’m not going to do it. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’re on your JN yacht anchored off the Florida Keys trying to bait me into making a negative post so you can reap the fruits of my getting screamed at so you can buy the upgraded dinghy and you know what? I’m not going to do it. 

I don't have a boat. I don't have a summer nanny. I have never been to the Florida keys.

This post has no merit.

Anyhow, have to run, I am looking to upgrade the JetNation RV. Be back in a bit LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...