OT Mike Remmers Signed to 53 man roster; McDermott Released

C Mart

Brett Tessler @TesslerSports

My client Mike Remmers who was elevated to the Jets roster off their psquad this weekend has just signed a new 1-year contract and will remain on their roster the rest of the season. 11-year vet OT brings great experience, versatility, and leadership.

Corresponding move(s) should be coming in minutes

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Probably means the end for Cedric Ogbuehi who who signed off the Texans practice squad.  Not sure he has met the minimum limit to be on the active roster after being signed off another team's practice squad though

Interesting. Maybe an IR designation (wink, wink) for him.

McDermott is still here. Fant comes off IR week 8. Mitchell week 10 (I think).

30 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Probably means the end for Cedric Ogbuehi who who signed off the Texans practice squad.  Not sure he has met the minimum limit to be on the active roster after being signed off another team's practice squad though

I think he needs to stay on the active roster one more week. I am guessing McDermott could be the odd man out.

• Upvote 1

C'mon fellas.  McDermott is an inside out guy.  This is just convenience.   Like Cager, he will still be around.  The Jets - like all organizations - keep loyal marginal players around in case they are needed.  I bet both are in camp next season so they are up on the playbook in case they are needed.  Regardless of whether or not they make the team, they will be signed to the practice squad and roster as needed to reward them for hanging around.  They are also actual examples of how the Jets organization values players who are loyal to the team.  Without such examples, it is hard for teams to retain a reserve of off-roster guys who know the playbook, their specific job and everybody on the team.  I could see both on the roster if needed this season too.  They orbit our planet.  It beats total strangers.  Every team does it.  Regardless, I consider McDermott a valuable reserve.  He has played well inside.  When he got hurt last season, he was in the mix at RG.  He would have been a big improvement over Mr. Van Roten.

As for Remmers, I am glad to see the paycheck.  Welcome aboard.  With the injuries and Fant's expiring contract, this is a genuine chance to get back into the lineup.  I remember him with the Giants.  As I recall, he has had trouble staying healthy.