Robert Saleh addresses Elijah Moore's frustration & Duane Brown on Jets mentality

jetsons

50 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He's a phenomenal leader, IMO.  The type of dude you'd want to work for/play for, etc.  You can tell he's read every leadership book under the sun.

Yeah him and Uzomah I think are really high class culture dudes who you love having in the lockerrom.  Uzomah literally says "gosh". Tomlison, Mosley all seem like that guy too.  Solid veteran leadership for sure.

Unlike Rex's vision of solid veteran leadership when he brought in Buress and Mason, which was akin to pouring fluoroantimonic acid on the walls of the jets clubhouse. 

• Upvote 1

It's clear reading this thread and others that the level of hope for Zach has greatly diminished, even amongst his more ardent defenders.

Basically, people seem happy enough if he becomes an adequate game manager who doesn't turn it over.  

A far cry from what his supposed ceiling was when he was picked.  

But if we can win with him as just a game manager, that IS what matters.  And so far, despite underwhelming production, Zach is leading the team to wins, thanks to a productive running game and a Defense that is miles better so far than the franchise-history-worst we saw last year.

Wins, before all else. 

If Zach can help keep us winning, good enough.  But I think he's going to have to give us more/do more/produce more ultimately to keep the winning going at some point this year.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

35 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They really didn't do it last year and it was a mistake.  Without the support system they probably should have let him ride the bench last year.   A major correction.  

in hindsight.  but remember they had becton coming off a decent rookie year, fant, mcgovern, avt on that oline.  the weak links were van roten, avt's inexperience, and the fact they hadn't played as a unit.  becton going down really shook things up and it took time for the oline to stabilize.  so i kind of think the pieces were in place.  they also had carter, moore and davis.  it didn't help that davis went down and it took time for moore to gain experience.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's clear reading this thread and others that the level of hope for Zach has greatly diminished, even amongst his more ardent defenders.

Basically, people seem happy enough if he becomes an adequate game manager who doesn't turn it over.  

But if we can win with him as just a game manager, that IS what matters.  And so far, despite underwhelming production, Zach is leading the team to wins, thanks to a productive running game and a Defense that is miles better so far than the franchise-history-worst we saw last year.

Wins, before all else. 

If Zach can help keep us winning, good enough.  But I think he's going to have to give us more/do more/produce more ultimately to keep the winning going at some point this year.

I don’t think so. I think many will be content if he’s a game managing QB on his way to fulfilling his potential over a finite period of time, but it will be the extremely rare fan who’s still content with that level of play when it comes time to talk about a new contract. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Perfect response. Saleh’s demeanor continues to impress. The only time I think I’ve ever seen him faulted was earlier this season taking troll bait from the media. 

It’s not troll bait when media asks questions. It’s their job. Much like the Moore situation. Cimini did his job and tweeted a stat. Moore then decided to respond poorly to it. I love how folks are pick to point to the media and Not poor responses 

49 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The last five super bowls featured the likes of Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo and Nick Foles/Carson Wentz.

Wentz dnp so why was he featured as you put it?

Said games also featured Burrow Stafford Mahommes Brady, who won 4 of the 5 games you cite.

Are you trying to say a top QB isnt needed to win the big one? Just say it.

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wins, before all else. 

Completely disagree. 

Zach's "ceiling" today is unlimited. The Jets priority has not changed. The goal is to win, not enable Zach to achieve his "ceiling". Never was.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Wentz dnp so why was he featured as you put it?

Said games also featured Burrow Stafford Mahommes Brady, who won 4 of the 5 games you cite.

Are you trying to say a top QB isnt needed to win the big one? Just say it.

Ooooooh!  Matt Stafford!  How many times did he make the playoffs with the Lions?  I put Wentz so I wouldn't have to hear how Foles didn't actually get them there.  I'm not trying to say anything.  I am saying it.  I don't think a top QB is needed to win the big one.  It is a big help, but I do not believe it is needed.  Burrow was a second year player coming off a knee injury.  He has a career 15-16-1 record.  We all saw how Rodgers is doing this season.  Even if you have one it sure doesn't guarantee anything

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ooooooh!  Matt Stafford!  How many times did he make the playoffs with the Lions?  I put Wentz so I wouldn't have to hear how Foles didn't actually get them there.  I'm not trying to say anything.  I am saying it.  I don't think a top QB is needed to win the big one.  It is a big help, but I do not believe it is needed.  Burrow was a second year player coming off a knee injury.  He has a career 15-16-1 record.  We all saw how Rodgers is doing this season.  Even if you have one it sure doesn't guarantee anything

The better your team is the more important it is to have an efficient competent qb than a gunslinger whose risk/reward is higher.  With the jets playing well in every phase of the game, having wilson not screw up is translating to wins.  The main issue i have is that the entire offense does nothing in the first quarter and that’s on the OC.  He has to reevaluate how to get the offense going earlier.  This team should be taking early leads.

2 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Keep hearing about the Packers great pass defense.  Would like to believe that is the reason ZW looked so totally lost in the first half.  My only issue is that the Patriots brought a third string QB off the bench a few weeks who pretty much tore the same great Packers secondary apart a few weeks ago.  That’s the reference point that concerns me a bit…

I mean I have said several times that ZW had a rough day but I think both things can be true.  GB secondary did a very good job too

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Matt Stafford is a hall of famer who was stuck on the bottom dwelling Lions forever.

If he were here the Jets would be serious contenders.

This team now has a playoff caliber defense. STs are also excellent.

The QB needs to play up to his draft status before this team can make it to the promised land.

If you dont agree thats fine.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don’t think so. I think many will be content if he’s a game managing QB on his way to fulfilling his potential over a finite period of time, but it will be the extremely rare fan who’s still content with that level of play when it comes time to talk about a new contract. 

I suppose we'll see. 

Right now Wilson remains around the very bottom of the league in most standard QB metrics.  

But he's winning, and winning is everything.

Lots of time between today and contract resigning to ponder his improvements.

5 hours ago, extmenace said:

The team needs to keep the offense rolling with the run. As good as things have went so far, Zach is still looking quite mediocre. We have weapons at the WR spot but it’s not looking like Wilson can utilize them consistently. Winning builds confidence so let him learn and get better slowly as the running game keeps the pressure to a minimum. A potent passing game would be great but if Zach is throw 35-40 times a game at this point, we’re likely not winning the game. He’s not there yet.

how could you say something so truthful and so brave 

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Completely disagree. 

Zach's "ceiling" today is unlimited. The Jets priority has not changed. The goal is to win, not enable Zach to achieve his "ceiling". Never was.

I think that message is best aimed at others here at JN.  

"2022 is all about Zach" and not winning was a refrain we heard from many, many folks before this season started.  

I agree, the goal should always be to win.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Throwing less =/= Playing better. 

Playing "hard nose winning football" is a short way of saying we don't trust the QB.

Funny, Pats run the ball and the QB doesn't throw much and their crappy QB is a hero - yes not a #2 pick.

He won 3 games. He looked off in the first half, but made the throws he needed to make each of those 3 wins. Fortunately, that wasn't much against the Packers. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Wins, before all else. 

I, for the record, will not ultimately be happy with "adequate game-manager who doesn't turn it over." 

My hope is that he can be good enough to hold the fort and win with until he figures out how to maximize his potential. But, at the end of the day, if this is what he is, that's a major disappointment. Maybe not a "bust" per se, but a disappointment. 

The one thing I keep coming back to that gives me hope is that he plays better as the game goes along (the opposite of Darnold). I think you can build on that and I think winning games gives young players confidence to improve. Here goes the Allen comparison again - but I don't think Allen would have become the player he eventually did if the Bills weren't good in year 2. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Matt Stafford is a hall of famer who was stuck on the bottom dwelling Lions forever.

If he were here the Jets would be serious contenders.

This team now has a playoff caliber defense. STs are also excellent.

The QB needs to play up to his draft status before this team can make it to the promised land.

If you dont agree thats fine.

It is an interesting question.  You certainly need good QB play to win.  It can be a superstar playing normally or a competent QB playing out of their mind (Flacco in 2012?).  I do not much care which, but you have to start with competence to get you to the tournament.

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with this D.   It has looked pretty good lately, but this was the first team they have played where they looked good when it wasn't expected.  They were okay against Lamar, gotten eaten up by Brissett and Chubb.  They looked meh against the Bengals, but gave up 27.  I don't think there is any reason to crow about beating Trubisky/Pickett and Starlin Castro or whatever that dude's name is in Miami.  Hopefully they are putting something nice together, but it will take a few more good games before I pronounce this a playoff caliber D.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

It’s not troll bait when media asks questions. It’s their job. Much like the Moore situation. Cimini did his job and tweeted a stat. Moore then decided to respond poorly to it. I love how folks are pick to point to the media and Not poor responses 

I didn’t say anything about Moore. I love how people like to shift the conversation to things that aren’t topically relevant in order to prove a point to themselves.