Jets Bring Back OL Connor Mcdermott

Its a good move.  McDermott has been a dutiful soldier.  Is he very good?  On the outside, no.  But he has played decent on the interior on the spot occasion, and he knows the system.  When you take care of players, and you become a solid organization, players ACTUALLY want to come and play for you.  Funny, how that works.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its a good move.  McDermott has been a dutiful soldier.  Is he very good?  On the outside, no.  But he has played decent on the interior on the spot occasion, and he knows the system.  When you take care of players, and you become a solid organization, players ACTUALLY want to come and play for you.  Funny, how that works.

Is it possible that since he was on the roster for week 1 that his 2022 salary became guaranteed?   If that is the case then it makes sense to sign him to the PS and get something out of him since they're on the hook for his '22 salary 

He's terrible, especially at pass blocking, and I've often criticized him here.  However, there is one virtue that he does have....the guy stays healthy.  If they've got him on the PS as a red-alert-emergency backup, I guess that's okay.  I guess.

But, if/when he's on your game day roster, you've got a problem.

• Upvote 1

Welcome back Conner.  As I wrote elsewhere as some cheered his release (why?):

"C'mon fellas.  McDermott is an inside out guy.  This is just convenience.   Like Cager, he will still be around.  The Jets - like all organizations - keep loyal marginal players around in case they are needed.  I bet both are in camp next season so they are up on the playbook in case they are needed.  Regardless of whether or not they make the team, they will be signed to the practice squad and ROSTER as needed to reward them for hanging around.    They are also actual examples of how the Jets organization values players who are loyal to the team.  Without such examples, it is hard for teams to retain a reserve of off-roster guys who know the playbook, their specific job and everybody on the team.  I could see both on the roster if needed this season too.  They orbit our planet.  It beats total strangers.  Every team does it.  Regardless, I consider McDermott a valuable reserve.  He has played well inside.  When he got hurt last season, he was in the mix at RG.  He would have been a big improvement over Mr. Van Roten."

McDermott is a valuable reserve.  I remember when we had to play him at guard.  Thought it was nuts (he is 6' 7").  He proved me wrong.  He has been a Jet for awhile now. 

PS - I note we lost Cager to the Giants.  We had made it known he was welcome back.  I believe that remains true.  I also think it likely that Cager is a better player than the rookie Bellenger who the Giant's have been forced to start because they had no other choice. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Is it possible that since he was on the roster for week 1 that his 2022 salary became guaranteed?   If that is the case then it makes sense to sign him to the PS and get something out of him since they're on the hook for his '22 salary 

Possible.  Again, the guy stays healthy, he knows the system, and steps in when asked.  He plays the interior much better than he does either Tackle position.  He is someone if you need a spot starter, or someone to fill in for a play or two, great.  If he has to start every game, you either have major issues with injuries, or major depth issues.  

• Upvote 1