Was Sauce picked specifically with the Bills in mind?

I don't think it was about the Bills - I think Sauce was just the safest pick in the draft. Yes, he was a corner and I didn't want to take a corner that high, but yea Sauce is closer to Parsons and Pitts than he is to other corners - he's a freak that's likely more valuable than others at his position.

So, ya know, estoy muy estupido pero muy intelligente al mismo tiempo :).

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Thinking about JD's roster construction, I'm wondering if Sauce was picked specifically with beating the Bills in mind.  Bill Parcells was a huge proponent of worrying about "winning your division" first and foremost.  It's no secret the Bills are the strongest team in the division, and Stefon Diggs always gets the lion's share of Josh Allen's targets.  Obviously, he looks like a great player regardless, but do you think JD picked Sauce with the idea of putting together a roster best suited to beat the team in our division who should be our biggest competition?

I think he put a team together to keep his job. The Bills thing  is nice too, 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I seem to remember Eisen making this exact point before the draft. In a division with Hill and Diggs, we need stellar CB play to hang in.

That said, I'll echo what other posters have said above. Sauce was BPA, filled a massive need, and it's gravy that one of our roster's current strengths now matches up nicely with our divisional opponents.

3 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

Thinking about JD's roster construction, I'm wondering if Sauce was picked specifically with beating the Bills in mind.  Bill Parcells was a huge proponent of worrying about "winning your division" first and foremost.  It's no secret the Bills are the strongest team in the division, and Stefon Diggs always gets the lion's share of Josh Allen's targets.  Obviously, he looks like a great player regardless, but do you think JD picked Sauce with the idea of putting together a roster best suited to beat the team in our division who should be our biggest competition?

Not sure, that is kind of a chicken or the egg thing. But to the point of your thread, damn if would be nice if Sauce stands up strong against Diggs. Tall order, but would be amazing if it happens!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

When you're in the middle of a circle getting beaten by everyone you're not thinking about which fist belongs to which assailant.

Jets needed so many improvements, I highly highly doubt JD was at the point of trying to match against a specific opponent.

Really good point. Everything needed to be fixed, they weren't quite at the tinkering stage yet. Still doing the heavy lifting.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m so happy he didn’t wimp out and draft a tackle. Tackles come out every year, and there were still starter-worthy tackles in FA. Corners are so hard to hit on, even with a high pick. Not saying corners are inherently more valuable than LTs - and I don’t believe that - but the team’s replacement production for a lesser corner vs. a lesser LT was far more dramatic at #4. 

Not every offseason has such a FA tackle crop available. A smart GM knows when he’s got that in his back pocket & can wait on drafting another tackle later in the draft or next year outright. Even in an impossibly-bad scenario of having four - FOUR - starting tackles injured early-on, they were still capable of putting a winning team on the field.

The romance with drafting a LT early and parking him there for the next decade, for some, is an obsession not a romance. It’s great to have, but it’s also simply unnecessary to further the goal of winning a championship (let alone to just having a winning season for starters).

Sauce has thus far proven far too unique and valuable of a player to cast aside for more stability at LT. A rookie LT wouldn’t have led to any additional wins thus far, but being without Sauce we’d surely have multiple fewer wins already.

Couldn’t be more thrilled with the pick. Funny thing is, had Becton re-injured himself somehow before the draft, instead of merely before the season began, it might not have happened.

@bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti @bitonti

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m so happy he didn’t wimp out and draft a tackle. Tackles come out every year, and there were still starter-worthy tackles in FA. Corners are so hard to hit on, even with a high pick. Not saying corners are inherently more valuable than LTs - and I don’t believe that - but the team’s replacement production for a lesser corner vs. a lesser LT was far more dramatic at #4. 

Not every offseason has such a FA tackle crop available. A smart GM knows when he’s got that in his back pocket & can wait on drafting another tackle later in the draft or next year outright. Even in an impossibly-bad scenario of having four - FOUR - starting tackles injured early-on, they were still capable of putting a winning team on the field.

The romance with drafting a LT early and parking him there for the next decade, for some, is an obsession not a romance. It’s great to have, but it’s also simply unnecessary to further the goal of winning a championship (let alone to just having a winning season for starters).

Sauce has thus far proven far too unique and valuable of a player to cast aside for more stability at LT. A rookie LT wouldn’t have led to any additional wins thus far, but being without Sauce we’d surely have multiple fewer wins already.

Couldn’t be more thrilled with the pick. Funny thing is, had Becton re-injured himself somehow before the draft, instead of merely before the season began, it might not have happened.

I disagree with this post. If the Jets drafted a left tackle and he turned in a rookie year like Rashawn Slater folks would be stoked with the pick regardless of what Sauce is doing. It’s rare for rookies to play at a high level and when they do it usually means they are pretty special. You find one of those guys and you are going to look pretty smart regardless of position.

In the case of Sauce I really believe had he gone to Alabama or Ohio State he’d have been the #1 overall pick. He was a pretty flawless prospect as the only knock on him was playing in the AAC.  

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Really good point. Everything needed to be fixed, they weren't quite at the tinkering stage yet. Still doing the heavy lifting.

Different ball game now than with Macc who only rarely was able to find upgrades in the draft despite having one of — if not the — worst roster in the NFL.

JD is basically an infinite improvement.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Not sure, that is kind of a chicken or the egg thing. But to the point of your thread, damn if would be nice if Sauce stands up strong against Diggs. Tall order, but would be amazing if it happens!

I think the Jets will shut down Diggs and Davis.   Allen will need to throw to his TE and RB and carry the ball himself.

9 hours ago, SicilianPizza said:

I disagree with this post. If the Jets drafted a left tackle and he turned in a rookie year like Rashawn Slater folks would be stoked with the pick regardless of what Sauce is doing. It’s rare for rookies to play at a high level and when they do it usually means they are pretty special. You find one of those guys and you are going to look pretty smart regardless of position.

In the case of Sauce I really believe had he gone to Alabama or Ohio State he’d have been the #1 overall pick. He was a pretty flawless prospect as the only knock on him was playing in the AAC.  

I don't really get moved by people being stoked. Far more moved by wins we've gotten behind the strength of the D (the corners in particular, since most of the rest is carry-over, including QW).

So they'd be stoked, sure, but they wouldn't know what they wouldn't know: that Sauce would have a profound effect on this defense, even despite the lame protestations because we play zone so therefore a high pick or high price CB is a waste of resources.

It's doubtful Sauce would ever have gone #1, though 2022 might've been the draft to do it. There's a first time for everything, yes, but corners just don't get that #1 overall pick.