The Phantom Free First Down in the 1st Half

12 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Anyone? Bueller? Acceptable cheating since they won anyway? 

Was it on the drive at the end of the half?   I cant remember exactly when it happened but ready for some more conspiracy?  Looking at the play by play in numerous box scores of the first half, they dont even have the penalty occurring at all.  lmfao 

Such a dumb league.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

In the postgame conference they asked Saleh about this. He said it was a coach standing on the white line that ran into a ref, or maybe the ref ran into him. Not a call they typically make but if there was contact with a ref I get it.

Anyway, that was it.

Saleh himself is going to get us a flag at some point, he has a very bad habit of coming on the field, going into the endzone areas, etc, when he's not supposed to be there.  The broadcast called that out specifically at one point, the refs having to chase him back to him area from basically the endzone.  The passion is fine, but as a HC you do need to temper that and not hurt your team.  Wouldn't shock me if the "coach" on the white line or in the Refs was was Saleh himself.  You may not like the rules, but they are the rules.

This one is simple:  Did the Jets protest the call after the game with the league?  No?  Then it's fine.  The Jets know what the call was for.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

So a team gets an automatic first down while their punting unit is in formation because an opposing coach was standing on the white chalk of the sideline.  Nice.

Been watching football for over three decades.  Never seen anything like it.

Technically it's a penalty just for being there. They generally ignore it and just tell the coaches to move but if there's contact w/a ref they're probably calling it most of the time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Technically it's a penalty just for being there. They generally ignore it and just tell the coaches to move but if there's contact w/a ref they're probably calling it most of the time.

Yeah Saleh really pushes it but they give HCs more leash. 

• Upvote 3

Don't believe I've ever seen that call made in 40+ years of watching the NFL.  On the other hand, I will say that the Jets are not getting hit with as many of the ticky tack holding and roughing the passing penalties that they've been penalized for with regularity over the last decade.  I think it's a combination of being coached up to avoid the penalties and their upward progression in the league. 

It was a totally bush call.  These refs have to understand that nobody pays to watch them.  A warning would have been appropriate.  Making that call created a de facto turnover that could have dramatically impacted the game.  The announcing is so damn bad, would have liked to see them try to decipher the call and discuss how utterly random and unusual it was given the circumstances.  Just brushed right past it.  

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

It was a totally bush call.  These refs have to understand that nobody pays to watch them.  A warning would have been appropriate.  Making that call created a de facto turnover that could have dramatically impacted the game.  The announcing is so damn bad, would have liked to see them try to decipher the call and discuss how utterly random and unusual it was given the circumstances.  Just brushed right past it.  

Yep. They were afraid to challenge the validity of the call and even discuss it. It was a big game changer, and yet they didn't want to know why? How about sending the sideline reporter over to ask some questions? Nope.  It's not like you see that call once every 10 years!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Does anyone know what it was?  Was it a sideline infraction?  And if so, dont those typically start with a warning?  I've never seen anything like it, we rewound the game like 10 times to figure it out, and nada.

You may be aware of this but the NFL is straight trash.

Not to mention I'm not sure GB score on a drive with PI help. Refs were pushing hard for GB to stay undefeated at home.

• Upvote 1

My best guess, based upon video evidence, is that someone in street clothes, probably an inactive player, got in the side judge's way while running downfield covering the play.  My guess is that the side judge ran right into him so he threw the flag...here's my post with pics from the gameday thread.  This was the wide-angle replay of the incomplete pass just before the punt..

But you're right - surprised none of our beat writers asked for an explanation - or if they got one - wrote or tweeted about it.

If someone has gamepass with the all 22 view, this can probably be cleared up.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:41 PM, IndianaJet said:

So I think what happened was someone in street clothes got in the refs way….maybe even knocked him down or just got mouthy with him   

First pick is a wide shot shown in replay…you can see someone in street clothes out on the sideline where the side judge is running towards  

Second pick is a zoomed in shot of that same wide screen  

Third pic is what appears to be the flag laying on the field near where the contact would have occurred.

02DBC81A-0733-48FC-82C4-0C87DF0EA2FC.jpeg

E77D7345-8D7A-47D7-AF43-E5BEBCB69AC8.jpeg

4510FC16-A107-4461-87DF-8F72672E4380.jpeg

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

GET OFF THE DAMN FIELD, GET OFF THE DAMN LINE!  This is a pet peeve of mine.  The NFL should have zero tolerance, no warnings nothing, get your asses off the field.

That's fine , but then the rule has to apply to all NFL teams not just a handful. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

My best guess, based upon video evidence, is that someone in street clothes, probably an inactive player, got in the side judge's way while running downfield covering the play.  My guess is that the side judge ran right into him so he threw the flag...here's my post with pics from the gameday thread.  This was the wide-angle replay of the incomplete pass just before the punt..

But you're right - surprised none of our beat writers asked for an explanation - or if they got one - wrote or tweeted about it.

If someone has gamepass with the all 22 view, this can probably be cleared up.

This may sound odd but at least we deserved it and can take corrective action.  Our coaches - led by Coach Saleh - spend far too much time on the field of play.  Actions which I have seen draw flags.  Let's face it fellas, all of us wonder when this regular guy routine was going to draw a flag.  I would not be surprised if the officiating crew had been told to throw a brushback pitch if given half a chance.  Parcells did it until it drew flags.  At least the fella in streetclothes didn't trip the returner.  Now that was bedlam on the sideline.

I had wondered what happened.  The collective silence of the announcers is not surprising since they lack a clue.  But what about the the failure of the well-paid and totally annoying full-time referee who assaults us every Sunday?   You know, the jackass who tells us that "off-sides" means you were on the wrong side of the line of scrimmage (while the play is underway).  He finally had his chance to actually tell us something we wanted to know.  Whiff.

Thanks for clearing this up IndianaJet.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

Anyone? Bueller? Acceptable cheating since they won anyway? 

Very good point.  Man if the Jets lost and that cost them the game it would be insanity.

Very poor coverage of it on TV. They said on the Jets bench. Never circled back with an explanation that it was a coach beyond the line. Bogus though.

I was reading the game thread on Reddit before kickoff, and a ton of Lions/Bears fans mentioned that the lead referee (forgot his name, Clete Blakeman think) is notorious for favoring the Packers.  

A lot of the first half, and parts of the second half really seemed to favor the Packers in the calls.  There was the BS penalty on the coach, while Breece Hall was hit like 3 yards out of bounds, and they "discussed it" only to not throw a flag.  The Packers TD drive was basically kept alive by penalties as well.  

• Upvote 4

At the game everyone was completely confused as well. There were a lot of completely phantom calls for GB and they pretty much allowed GB to hold. Of course I heard a GB fan call in and complain that the refs were not calling PI on every pass they threw against the Jets
On the television broadcast you could faintly hear the pa announcer explaining the penalty and then the crowd roared and that was it

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Very good point.  Man if the Jets lost and that cost them the game it would be insanity.

Very poor coverage of it on TV. They said on the Jets bench. Never circled back with an explanation that it was a coach beyond the line. Bogus though.

Saleh addressed this as some other outlets - a Jets coach on the sideline interfered with an official.

On one of the plays where they threw a flag on GB for illegal man downfield then picked it up the announcers said oh #63 or whoever was only 1 yard downfield , but looking at the replay there was another GB lineman at least 5 yards downfield.  These calls infuriate me ., because some teams seem to get away with this consistently but others don't. 

• Upvote 1