2023 NFL mock drafts

maury77

On 11/30/2022 at 7:08 PM, PLO said:

Brugler's first mock, from The Athletic: 

22. New York Jets: Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson*

C.J. Mosley is getting older and Quincy Williams is in the final year of his deal, so linebacker might be a position the Jets examine in the early rounds next April. With his position flexibility as a blitzer, run stopper and cover man, Trenton Simpson offers the athletic versatility that will appeal to Jets coach Robert Saleh.

This is the guy I really would love for the Jets.  We need that elite WLB that is a staple of this defense and Simpson would be that guy.

We can then find an IOL and safety in the next 2 rounds and fill some of our holes.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't be upset with a LB like Simpson or even Sanders.  I think there's a lot of value in having a star caliber player at every level of your defense.  I wouldn't even be upset if we took a DT like Bresee if he drops, trying to put together an elite duo with Quinnen.

I think my preference though is to take a LT.  The OL is the priority right now and I feel like we can find players at other positions in other rounds.  LB in round 2;  C in round 3; etc.  Finding a franchise LT though only really seems possible in the 1st.

• Upvote 2

pfn-logo-black
  • NYJ
    Peter Skoronski
    OT Northwestern
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Sedrick Van Pran
    OC Georgia

• NYJ
    Owen Pappoe
    LB Auburn

• NYJ
    Jammie Robinson
    S Florida State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Parker Washington
    WR Penn State
    trade icon
  • 2024 TB 1st

Trade Details

TB

Received:

• Pick 15 - Will Levis
  • Pick 111 - Israel Abanikanda
NYJ

Received:

• Pick 20
  • 2024 TB 1st

Trade Details

CIN

Received:

• Pick 149 - Luke Musgrave
  • 2024 NYJ 7th
NYJ

Received:

• Pick 158
  • Pick 189

Drafted to address the most immediate needs and from big time winning programs getting 4 players who should be immediate starters.  Plug and play LT and  C to address the continuing saga of bad O line play.  A a big athletic DT (6'3" 337lbs) because we need someone other than Q who can cause disruption in the middle of the line. Lastly, a S who can cover TEs. Traded back a few spots in the first round and gave up a later pick to get the Commanders 2024 first round pick so we can load up in case we intend to make a QB run (yet again) in 2024. 

image.png.6eea5f125b18dfd1e0d53339b1a976ba.png

• Upvote 2

Guess it’s time to start delving into the draft. After doing very little research losing this week seems very important to be in range for someone like Paris Johnson or Jared Verse. Verse seems much more lethal as a pass rusher than JJ. JJ is probably more well rounded though. Schmitz at center seems like the real deal. 

259F310F-170F-4EE8-B8E1-5C2F2ADBBEB8.png

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

@bonkertons this is why it's hard to take PFF's simulator seriously. Look at this haul. 

pff_mock_results.thumb.png.5155558638b049254221b359480218d4.png

LOL Wilson and 17 gets you 3.  Amazing.  Yeah any system like this will always be flawed.  From what I remember only MLB the Show had a pretty decent trade value AI.  I can't remember the year though unfortunately.  But yeah, even if Pete Carroll thinks Zach Wilson is the 2nd coming of JC if he gets his hands on him, no way would they pull the trigger on this.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

LOL Wilson and 17 gets you 3.  Amazing.  Yeah any system like this will always be flawed.  From what I remember only MLB the Show had a pretty decent trade value AI.  I can't remember the year though unfortunately.  But yeah, even if Pete Carroll thinks Zach Wilson is the 2nd coming of JC if he gets his hands on him, no way would they pull the trigger on this.

Dude, if I was GM and pulled a haul like this, I'd make the entire draft forum get a tattoo of my face on each of their backs

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Dude, if I was GM and pulled a haul like this, I'd make the entire draft forum get a tattoo of my face on each of their backs

I seem to remember the trades being more realistic last year but maybe I'm just misremembering. They still have us picking 17 and haven't traded away some of our picks either - so maybe just needs a bunch of updating.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Wasn't the way I was going to go, but I had to take QJ in R1 when he dropped:

team logo
pfn-logo-black
  • NYJ
    Quentin Johnston
    WR TCU

• NYJ
    John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• NYJ
    Jarrett Patterson
    OG Notre Dame

• NYJ
    Tyler Steen
    OT Alabama

• NYJ
    Connor Galvin
    OT Baylor

Looks like you felt really guilty about not going OT in round 1 ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Adding some protection and big targets to the offense.

• NYJ
    Broderick Jones
    OT Georgia
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Michael Mayer
    TE Notre Dame

• NYJ
    Brandon Joseph
    S Notre Dame

• NYJ
    Luke Wypler
    OC Ohio State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Clark Barrington
    OG BYU

• NYJ
    Jake Haener
    QB Fresno State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Jonathan Mingo
    WR Ole Miss

• 2024 DET 1st

Trade Details

DET

Received:

• Pick 13 - Will Levis
  • Pick 109 - Zion Tupuola-Fetui
NYJ

Received:

• Pick 17
  • Pick 148
  • 2024 DET 1st

Trade Details

BAL

Received:

• Pick 17 - Joey Porter Jr.
NYJ

Received:

• Pick 23
  • Pick 87

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am betting that the vast majority of big name mock drafts will have the jets picking Will Levis or Anthony Richardson.  They will try and shoe horn a very sub par QB to the jets just like how they tried to force Kyle Hamilton down our throats last year.

No one has Levis falling out of the top 10. PFF have him going 2nd.

If we were to get him it's via trade up. I doubt it will happen. 

There's some mocks that have Richardson going as high as Carolina. 

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

not a huge fan of the top QBs in this draft.  stroud showed me something against the bulldogs last week though.  don't want to touch levis and would be livid if richardson was a jet.  i think there's a chance one of them is there at 13 though - maybe a big time trade back.

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

not a huge fan of the top QBs in this draft.  stroud showed me something against the bulldogs last week though.  don't want to touch levis and would be livid if richardson was a jet.  i think there's a chance one of them is there at 13 though - maybe a big time trade back.

Stroud is a disaster imo. Has all of Fields' issues without the athletic upside, which is all Fields has in the NFL. His stats under pressure are abysmal. 

I have no earthy idea how Richardson is being considered so high. One extremely mediocre year of starting experience. Yikes. He's a guy who needs to sit for two years. I'd have assumed a month ago that he'd be there in the 2nd round. 

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

These people will come to their senses and they will drop.  Malik Willis was talked about the same way last year.   Both levis and richardson are total fools gold.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:24 PM, C Mart said:

Not a fan of 41 and 73.  I'd like a Center.  I would also go another edge (just can't count on Lawson w/his injury history and '23 draft is reportedly deep w/edge rushers again) or safety.

I think the plan is to dump Lawson, who isn't nearly worth $15MM more, and to still not take an edge rusher in the first 2 rounds (barring an omg talent just sitting there). They just drafted 2 this past April and I'd expect them to retain JFM. That doesn't scream "need to draft another edge rusher early" but jmo. 

Center is a tougher call. They can't head into the draft with an outright hole at the position, in case they don't get a guy they want. On the other hand, having a good-enough center on the roster, heading into the draft, may mean a multi-year guarantee (depending on who it is) or getting too cute with the gamble and penciling in a Feeney type heading into the draft.  

The time to draft a center is a year before the current starter is expected to have production taper off or become expendable for $ reasons, but not trying to fill a hole on demand by intentionally leaving one there through March & April pre-draft. So that would've meant draft a center in 2022 with the idea that he'd take over for McGovern in 2023. The way things have unfolded now, they don't have a center under contract for 2023.

***edit: sorry just realized now this was an old post of yours; didn't look at the date. Oops.

Edited by Sperm Edwards

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Stroud is a disaster imo. Has all of Fields' issues without the athletic upside, which is all Fields has in the NFL. His stats under pressure are abysmal. 

I have no earthy idea how Richardson is being considered so high. One extremely mediocre year of starting experience. Yikes. He's a guy who needs to sit for two years. I'd have assumed a month ago that he'd be there in the 2nd round. 

I've only really watched Stroud twice (ND and UGA).  Both times he was the difference maker against a top defense.  He's a pure passer, but has the ability to move the chains and escape.  He's more mobile than you think.  He always found a way to make plays (not unlike Caleb Williams without the third gear).  

I would take him happily. 

• Upvote 1

image.thumb.png.32c7b38339b3709c595d7927525a366a.png

I didn't think I'd be doing these a month ago, but alas. 

I traded down and grabbed a second.

1.  My favorite player in the draft.  Wilson, but better.  Imagine GW as our number 2 option...

2. We struck gold, literally.   I ran to the podium to grab the monster.

3.  Center was the gravy for trading down and getting the player I wanted at 13 anyway.  Online complete if Becton can come to camp in shape, look out.

4.  Wasn't my intention to grab two ND players, but the board fell this way and a position of need.  He's more Northwestern anyway.

5-7.  Mix of linebacker/safety hybrid that Saleh loves and a DT to plug in for depth.  

Dream draft for the top two picks alone.  Admittedly I don't know much about the other players yet, but seemed like fits. 

*edit:  I will not be doing anymore of these until after the combine.  I think I did three-four hundred a day the last ten years or so.  F that 

I really like this draft. Wanted to go OT in first round but draft didn't fall that way. So I adapted. With it being to much a reach pick for OTs available at 13, I traded back to 15, gave up our third round pick and secured GB's first round pick in 2024.  Added a DT at 15 who can make the D truly dominant. Also landed a starting C , a very underrated and athletic OT, a LB who excels in coverage, and a FS who we are going to absolutely love. Stuck with my premise of favoring winners from big time programs to help wash the stink of SOJ from the facility. 

I really do believe that this draft is less about volume than adding a C, OT, DT and FS. 

image.png.f7ce964f699fe76593a7daba9588b194.png

image.png.8f40de15e149d89d74a77e9d754ab4d7.png