Quinnen's next contract

With Quinnen really coming into his own and wrecking games, wanted to look at what his next contract will look like.  Here is a list of the 5 highest paid DTs in the league:

1) Aaron Donald (age 31) - 3 years 95 million, fully guaranteed.  AAV = 31.67 Million.  Signed deal in 2022

2) DeForest Buckner (age 28) - 4 years 84 million, 44 million guaranteed. AAV = 21 million.  Signed deal in 2020

3) Chris Jones (age 28) - 4 years, 80 million.  60 million guaranteed.  AAV = 20 million.  Signed deal in 2020

4) Jonathan Allen (age 27) - 4 years, 72 million.  35 million guaranteed.  AAV = 18 million.  Signed deal in 2021

5) Vita Vea (age 27) - 4 years, 71 million.  34 million guaranteed.  AAV =17.75 million.  Signed deal in 2022

Quinnen is going to turn 25 in a couple months.  He is under contract next year at 9.5 million.  He is about the same age as Buckner, Jones, and Allen were at the time they signed their extensions following their rookie deals.  I think Quinnen's new deal will make him the second highest paid DT in the league, but there is a huge jump from Bucker at 21 million AAV to Donald at 31 million AAV.  I think we are looking at a 4 year deal 100 million with 60-70 million guaranteed for Quinnen.  I'm comfortable with that amount - Quinnen is a young, homegrown building block on this defense and part of winning culture is rewarding your guys when they deserve it.

Would you give Quinnen that extension? (4 years, 100 million, 60-70 million guaranteed).  That puts him under contract through his age 30 season at 5 years 109.5 million (roughly $22 million AAV)

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

tag him, let him go.

This has all the makings of a trap. Sorry!

The dude was always a JAG. This year hes turned it up. If we keep drafting like we have bye bye

If we fall into this trap we will have a JAG taking a huge amount of cap. If the guy has been playing like this since his rookies year, that would be a much different story

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 12
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

tag him, let him go.

The dude was always a JAG. This year hes turned it up. If we keep drafting like we have bye bye

If we fall into this trap we will have a JAG taking a huge amount of cap. If the guy has been playing like this since his rookies year, that would be a much different story

How much of his lack of production early in his career was due to coaching?  It seems the light has come on for him under Saleh/Ulbrich, maybe because they are actually putting him in positions to succeed?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WhartonJet said:

Would you give Quinnen that extension? (4 years, 100 million, 60-70 million guaranteed).  That puts him under contract through his age 30 season at 5 years 109.5 million (roughly $22 million AAV)

I’d like to see them sign him for a little less, but yes. Dude has demonstrated himself to be an absolute force and deserves his payday. 

Cimini likes to troll the Jets for never resigning their big name players, as if they should’ve extended The Prez (a claim he made) rather than trade him, but this is the first draft pick in a very long time that actually should get paid. The deal is made easier by the fact that, unfortunately, no one from the 2020 draft will be in line for a payday. When AVT, Moore, and (hopefully) Wilson come up the following years, those will be more difficult decisions. Defense seems to be back in the NFL this year. Sign this beast. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I’d like to see them sign him for a little less, but yes. Dude has demonstrated himself to be an absolute force and deserves his payday. 

Cimini likes to troll the Jets for never resigning their big name players, as if they should’ve extended The Prez (a claim he made) rather than trade him, but this is the first draft pick in a very long time that actually should get paid. The deal is made easier by the fact that, unfortunately, no one from the 2020 draft will be in line for a payday. When AVT, Moore, and (hopefully) Wilson come up the following years, those will be more difficult decisions. Defense seems to be back in the NFL this year. Sign this beast. 

I know that we like to pretend, but Leo deserved to get paid.  I think that was more an issue with the timing.  He was going to have to get paid when the team was going nowhere and should be putting resources into other things.  Like Adams, I am extremely happy with the trade, but those are players that deserved sizable second contracts. 

21 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

With Quinnen really coming into his own and wrecking games, wanted to look at what his next contract will look like.  Here is a list of the 5 highest paid DTs in the league:

1) Aaron Donald (age 31) - 3 years 95 million, fully guaranteed.  AAV = 31.67 Million.  Signed deal in 2022

2) DeForest Buckner (age 28) - 4 years 84 million, 44 million guaranteed. AAV = 21 million.  Signed deal in 2020

3) Chris Jones (age 28) - 4 years, 80 million.  60 million guaranteed.  AAV = 20 million.  Signed deal in 2020

4) Jonathan Allen (age 27) - 4 years, 72 million.  35 million guaranteed.  AAV = 18 million.  Signed deal in 2021

5) Vita Vea (age 27) - 4 years, 71 million.  34 million guaranteed.  AAV =17.75 million.  Signed deal in 2022

Quinnen is going to turn 25 in a couple months.  He is under contract next year at 9.5 million.  He is about the same age as Buckner, Jones, and Allen were at the time they signed their extensions following their rookie deals.  I think Quinnen's new deal will make him the second highest paid DT in the league, but there is a huge jump from Bucker at 21 million AAV to Donald at 31 million AAV.  I think we are looking at a 4 year deal 100 million with 60-70 million guaranteed for Quinnen.  I'm comfortable with that amount - Quinnen is a young, homegrown building block on this defense and part of winning culture is rewarding your guys when they deserve it.

I was going to say exactly that.   5 year, 110.   About 70-80 Guarenteed.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

tag him, let him go.

He’s been the best player on the team since arriving 

Respectfully… what a clown town post ??

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know that we like to pretend, but Leo deserved to get paid.  I think that was more an issue with the timing.  He was going to have to get paid when the team was going nowhere and should be putting resources into other things.  Like Adams, I am extremely happy with the trade, but those are players that deserved sizable second contracts. 

Leo was good enough but, like you said, the timing was impossible. They couldn’t’ve paid him and do the tear down/rebuild they wanted to accomplish simultaneously. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

4 years at $25M seems reasonable given those numbers.  You have to look at Donald's contract as an outlier given that he has been All-Pro every year, DRoY, DPoY 3x, and averaged 12 sacks/season.  But Q should probably become the 2nd highest paid DT given how things generally go in the league.

Donald is a unicorn at defensive line.

1st ballot HOF player, the most dominant defensive player for the last half decade.   He has been in the league for 8 seasons, we won DROY, and then has never finished lower than 5th in DPOY, winning it 3 times.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

How much of his lack of production early in his career was due to coaching?  It seems the light has come on for him under Saleh/Ulbrich, maybe because they are actually putting him in positions to succeed?

He was also 21 when he was drafted, and was a 1 year starter at Alabama.

Plus, as you mentioned, poor coaching, poor talent around him.  He is an ascending 25 year old player, who is rarely injured.   That is the guy you give a long term deal to.  Every long term deal is a risk, but this isn't a 28 year old looking for 1 last payday.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, chirorob said:

Donald is a unicorn at defensive line.

1st ballot HOF player, the most dominant defensive player for the last half decade.   He has been in the league for 8 seasons, we won DROY, and then has never finished lower than 5th in DPOY, winning it 3 times.

Agreed which is why nobody should match that contract for a while.  Donald basically took the mantle from JJ Watt.  There hasn't really been a dominant defensive guy like those two that I can recall for a while before JJ.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

tag him, let him go.

This is you.

You #10, dog.

• Haha 2

If he keeps playing like this, then yes expect his extension to be in the $25MM range, quite possibly more.

One criticism I have of Douglas is he buys high for his own players, either getting in too early or too late, so sure we should be extending him but this isn't the week/month to offer it up.

Griffin, JFM, and Berrios come to mind: all poorly timed, either too early (based on 2-3 good games in a row for Griffin/JFM, paying at a rate that needed to be the new baseline); or too late (one could plainly see Berrios was a favorite target of his hand-picked QB even before December, plus had obvious value on specials while the rest of the WR corps was healthy, and the team's GM further knew better than any that Crowder had an expiring contract as well & wouldn't be re-signing here after he was squeezed into a pay cut well after FA and draft periods were over).

At this point wait a bit. If he gets hurt or has a quiet stretch that's a better time to approach him, and if that doesn't happen his stock isn't going to be dramatically higher than it is today. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

He's going to get over 20 mil a season and he deserves it.

The Donald contract is crazy, but that's because Donald is a first ballot HOF and I don't think we'd have to match that yearly average + guarantee... if Quinnen wins DPOY tho...

Anyway, dude is Baby Sapp, the best player on the team and an outlier at his position. 

Pay up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he keeps playing like this, then yes expect his extension to be in the $25MM range, quite possibly more.

One criticism I have of Douglas is he buys high for his own players, either getting in too early or too late, so sure we should be extending him but this isn't the week/month to offer it up.

Griffin, JFM, and Berrios come to mind: all poorly timed, either too early (based on 2-3 good games in a row for Griffin/JFM, paying at a rate that needed to be the new baseline); or too late (one could plainly see Berrios was a favorite target of his hand-picked QB even before December, plus had obvious value on specials while the rest of the WR corps was healthy, and the team's GM further knew better than any that Crowder had an expiring contract as well & wouldn't be re-signing here after he was squeezed into a pay cut well after FA and draft periods were over).

At this point wait a bit. If he gets hurt or has a quiet stretch that's a better time to approach him, and if that doesn't happen his stock isn't going to be dramatically higher than it is today. 

Agree on Griffin/JFM being paid too early, but actually liked what he did with Berrios (and presumably, Q). 

I'll pay the premium to be sure about the player. 

38 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

tag him, let him go.

This hot take is pretty cold.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not so sure.  I think he has numbers with these agents in line for months.  I think they may just time the signings for when they are playing well to make it look good for the fans and press.  JFM is an ascending talent!  Etc.  I am sure that he had offers to Berrios and Moses out, but you can't force guys to sign. 

Dude has his first career game and everyone wants to now back the brinks truck up to his front door.

If this was the last game of last season, this post wouldnt even exist. You know it.

In fact if this was after the 2nd game of this season, it wouldnt exists. In fact it does not exist.

Guy plays one superb game and everyone is jumping to conclusions.

Take away the last game and QW is a solid player. Was the last game the new normal for him of the outlyer? At this point, youd be crazy to say its the normal. Thats Donald territory. Show me this level of play in almost every game til the season end and I will agree with you guy but hell no not now

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

tag him, let him go.

I think we've seen Quinnen come into his own now due in part to the upgrade of personnel.  I don't think A. Donald would've been effective playing on the 2020/2021 Jets teams.

If we can sign him to a contract that wouldn't cripple the team's cap going forward, great.

• Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Is Q producing equivalent to those top 5 DT's for as long and as consistently as those top 5 DT's did before they got paid like a top 5 DT?

Can't say I'd want to tie up that kind of cap space on Q, personally.  Most of his time in NY has been forgettable up till this year.

/shrug

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is Q producing equivalent to those top 5 DT's for as long and as consistently as those top 5 DT's did before they got paid like a top 5 DT?

Can't say I'd want to tie up that kind of cap space on Q, personally.  Most of his time in NY has been forgettable up till this year.

/shrug

This is why you and me are the smartest guys on the board. Me being a little smarter than you, but close. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhartonJet said:

Proud Of You Yes GIF

Quinnen is playing well this year.  But I believe these monster contracts should only be handed out after multiple years of this kind of play.  This is only the 1st year Quinnen has ever been dominant, 

So if I am Joe Douglas, I excercise his 5th year option in the offseason and let Quinnen know if he has a 2nd monster season, then he will get the big contract.

I do not see any rush to pay this guy being he is under contract until the end of next season.

• Upvote 3