Report: Douglas Looking to Upgrade Defensive Interior as Jets Host Lineman Linval Joseph

JetNation

Joe Douglas

Exploring the possibility of upgrading their interior defensive line, the Jets today hosted former Giants and Chargers defensive lineman Linval Joseph.  This, according to NFL insider Mike Garafolo.

The #Jets hosted veteran DT Linval Joseph on a visit today, sources say. The former second-round pick of the #Giants was back in Jersey for a potential return to the area.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) October 21, 2022

Joseph, a veteran of twelve NFL seasons last stepped on the field in 2021.  That was as a member of the San Diego Chargers as Joseph started 12 games and picked up 57 tackles and a sack.  Should the Jets add the 6′ 4” 329 Joseph, the player most likely to lose playing time would be current backup Nathan Shepherd.

The post Report: Douglas Looking to Upgrade Defensive Interior as Jets Host Lineman Linval Joseph appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

28 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Sign the beast and discard Shepp! I want wins not loyalty. Shepp - you have been OK - no complaints but if Linval Joseph can help us win more games than you then do it Joe D.

I’d keep Shepherd over Thomas

Every time I notice Thomas, he’s getting blown 3 yards off the line.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Douglas looks for run-stopping Interior DL off the scrap heap.

Maccagnan used high draft picks.  

I'm taking this as a tongue-in-cheek rib at Maccagnan, but I'm not quite sure. Mike Maccagnan's failure wasn't because he drafted Quinnen Williams and Leonard Williams with high draft picks. It was not even because he drafted back-to-back safeties. His failure was due to the vast majority of his draft picks no longer being on the Jets or any NFL roster. Mike Maccagnan's average draft looked like JD's 2020 draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'm taking this as a tongue-in-cheek rib at Maccagnan, but I'm not quite sure. Mike Maccagnan's failure wasn't because he drafted Quinnen Williams and Leonard Williams with high draft picks. It was not even because he drafted back-to-back safeties. His failure was due to the vast majority of his draft picks no longer being on the Jets or any NFL roster. Mike Maccagnan's average draft looked like JD's 2020 draft. 

It was for drafting darnold instead of lamar or allen and then not putting any other offensive talent on the team. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I will counter this with 2 words:  Nathan Shepherd.

The Jets traded up in ‘18 and got their guy at QB in Darnold.  What does Macc do with his very next pick?  Maybe an OL or WR (both needs)?  Nah.  Let’s take a 27 year old small school DT project instead.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets traded up in ‘18 and got their guy at QB in Darnold.  What does Macc do with his very next pick?  Maybe an OL or WR (both needs)?  Nah.  Let’s take a 27 year old small school DT project instead.  

Some walks down memory lane hurt more than others. This is one of those walks.

Shepherd is so frustrating, I am surprised he is still with the team. He is an okay backup (not worthy of where he was drafted) but when he is on the field I am certain there will be a penalty flag.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Elijah Moore: * acts a fool, demands a trade and generates massive media sh*t storm *

Joe Douglas:  * pulls an oreo from the sleeve on his desk and takes a bite *

Joe Dougas: * calls his secretary and asks her to bring in some defensive tackles to look at *

He is playing 3D chess, and the rest of us are stuck with checker boards.

• Upvote 2

Can never have enough quality depth… Arbitrage opportunity with veterans that can still play but are at end of their career.  Bargain shopping - affordable, and not progress stoppers if they are cool with the backup rotational role.  Also no learning curve.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll counter with two words: Nathan Shepherd is somehow still on the team which makes that Macc's most successful pick. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Elijah Moore: * acts a fool, demands a trade and generates massive media sh*t storm *

Joe Douglas:  * pulls an oreo from the sleeve on his desk and takes a bite *

Joe Dougas: * calls his secretary and asks her to bring in some defensive tackles to look at *

Dumb, he obviously has a cookie jar shaped like a Jets helmet on his desk. 

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'll counter with two words: Nathan Shepherd is somehow still on the team which makes that Macc's most successful pick. 

He gets an asterisk though.  The guy was caught juicing.  So don’t count him.

How many guys besides Q (a 4 year old could have made that pick) are in the NFL….NOW…who Maccagnan picked? in what? 4 drafts? 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Dumb, he obviously has a cookie jar shaped like a Jets helmet on his desk. 

Yeah I envision that too.  No loose sleeves of cookies rolling around his desk.  The guy appears to know how to run a ship shape organization.

Imagine Maccagnan?  F**kin coffee stains everywhere, place is a shambles.  Supposedly his door was Always locked with him in there.  Lot of people who worked there never even saw him.  Actually smart of him to lay low because he knew how incompetent he was.

13 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He gets an asterisk though.  The guy was caught juicing.  So don’t count him.

How many guys besides Q (a 4 year old could have made that pick) are in the NFL….NOW…who Maccagnan picked? in what? 4 drafts? 

Are you taking what I said seriously?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yeah I envision that too.  No loose sleeves of cookies rolling around his desk.  The guy appears to know how to run a ship shape organization.

Imagine Maccagnan?  F**kin coffee stains everywhere, place is a shambles.  Supposedly his door was Always locked with him in there.  Lot of people who worked there never even saw him.  Actually smart of him to lay low because he knew how incompetent he was.

How he made GM of the year in 2015 is unbelievable. All cause he signed Fitzpatrick, Decker, and Marshall mainly. But since It made the Jets win more than lose in this league that is considered a miracle the way we have played the last decade.