My son is getting married tomorrow at 4:30 pm, and I will miss the game. Do you feel bad for me? Please give me some words of encouragement; it will help me get through it.

Alka

I am looking to my Jets brethren with some words of encouragement, since I will not be watching the Jets game tomorrow.  For whatever reason, the wedding is aligned exactly with game time.  The football gods are punishing me for something.  I haven't figured it out yet.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is why the Spartans sent their children away to fend for themselves when they hit eight years of age. 

Is that true?  I think if I sent away my son at eight years of age, I don't think he would have survived, and I would probably be locked up somewhere.  I hear they do have tv sets in prison, so there's that.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Demand that they reschedule 

I think that the same tv executives that come up with the Jets schedule are the same ones that oversaw the Heidi game that I was watching many years ago.  They just hate the Jets, and all the Jets fans as well.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

Is that true?  I think if I sent away my son at eight years of age, I don't think he would have survived, and I would probably be locked up somewhere.  I hear they do have tv sets in prison, so there's that.  

I will only respond to this if you can provide proof that the Spartans acted in violation of the law

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Tell him this is his one freebie and kindly ask them not to procreate so that the birth comes during football season

Good advice!  My son is a Giants fan, and for him, he can still watch the 1:00 pm game.  It just isn't fair.  At least I can root for the Giants to lose.  That would make me sort of happy.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Alka said:

I am looking to my Jets brethren with some words of encouragement, since I will not be watching the Jets game tomorrow.  For whatever reason, the wedding is aligned exactly with game time.  The football gods are punishing me for something.  I haven't figured it out yet.

Congratulations!  Father of the Groom is always fun. No need to make a Father of the Bride type speech.  Enjoy and don't worry about the NY Jets.  Some things are more important.  There will be lots of Jets games for you ahead... but (hopefully) only one marriage for your son!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will only respond to this if you can provide proof that the Spartans acted in violation of the law

I think the laws of Spartans time was "kill or be killed".  Other than that, I would say "an eye for an eye".  Those are probably the 2 laws that they had in stone.  And "don't sh*t where you eat".  That is a law for good hygiene.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

Good advice!  My son is a Giants fan, and for him, he can still watch the 1:00 pm game.  It just isn't fair.  At least I can root for the Giants to lose.  That would make me sort of happy.

But seriously -- congratulations :) 

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2022 at 9:28 AM, FootballLove said:

Congrats Dad!!! I hope you're paying for an open bar....

you'll need a drink or two

(pssst...watch it on your phone! Have your son install a streaming app!)

It's funny you say that because 16 years ago I started noticing the men at weddings huddled around laptops watching football. I'm a fan too, but damn...

• Haha 1

Just now, y2k8 said:

First of all, Sunday weddings are just rude.

But Sunday weddings during football season are unforgivable.

I don't think I am being hyperbolic when I say this marriage is already off to a terrible start. You are completely justified in skipping out to watch the game. If anyone objects, just have them DM me and I will explain it to them. 

They only need you for pictures anyway. Once that's done, your services are no longer required.

Enjoy the game!

You ae so right regarding the pictures.  I don't understand why they need me hours in advance of the wedding to take pictures?  Only to further aggravate me!

My son: Dad! Jennifer and I are getting married and we’ve set the date! October 23rd, 2022!

Me <thinking>: Broncos on the road. Zach Wilson throwing passes at Patrick Surtain and what is certain to be a top three pass defense by DVOA? 

My son: Dad?

Me: Jennifer has the ankles of an infant Clydesdale.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

To be fair, most years missing a Jets game is seen as a present.

As a football fan, I could never imagine planning a wedding on any Sunday during the season.  My wife would agree with that.  Even if my favorite team isn’t on, half the people are going to be preoccupied with their teams, or fantasy teams.  Know your audience :) 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

My sister got married on December 27, 1981.  That was the date of the Jets Bils playoff game.  I was 20 years old.  My team makes its first playoff appearrance in over a decade, first timein my adult life, and my crazy ass bitch sister chooses that day to get married.  364 other days in the year that they could have gotten hitched, but she chooses Dec 27.  1981.  And I have to miss the game.  The fact that I missed the game has nothing to do the reason I call her a crazy ass bitch.  That was more of a result of the intervening 40+ years.  What makes it worse is she married a Dolphin fan,  They won the Division.  Had a bye that week.  His familly was happy.  They didn't miss their game.

I would like to tell you you get over it, but it still pisses me off today that I had to miss that one.  At least yours is a regular season game.

Congratulations!!! Enjoy the wedding.  Unlike 1981, there are DVRs so you can watch it later.

I was at that game . Sat in the first row of the bullpen seats at shea .

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

As a football fan, I could never imagine planning a wedding on any Sunday during the season.  My wife would agree with that.  Even if my favorite team is on, half the people are going to be preoccupied with their teams, or fantasy teams.  Know your audience :) 

I didn't plan this wedding.  Do you think if I did, I would have planned it on a Sunday when the Jets are playing?  No way in the world would I have done that.  

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd get a DNA test to make sure this kid is yours before you think about going to a Sunday wedding during football season.

I just asked my wife.  She said that he is 100% mine.  I think I believe her!!