Jump to content

My son is getting married tomorrow at 4:30 pm, and I will miss the game. Do you feel bad for me? Please give me some words of encouragement; it will help me get through it.


Alka

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

I didn't plan this wedding.  Do you think if I did, I would have planned it on a Sunday when the Jets are playing?  No way in the world would I have done that.  

No, I get that.  It is your sons fault.  But you did raise him.  Haha.  I am half joking :)

But seriously, I wouldn’t pick a Sunday in football season to hold any event.  It really limits participation, at least with people I know.  
 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

No, I get that.  It is your sons fault.  But you did raise him.  Haha.  I am half joking :)

But seriously, I wouldn’t pick a Sunday in football season to hold any event.  It really limits participation, at least with people I know.  
 

 

You know, my son had nothing to do with planning this wedding either.  He just goes along with whatever they tell him.  I really don't blame him.  Most of the people at this wedding will be Giants fans, and they can watch the game at 1:00 pm.  I am alone in my misery, and that's why I reached out to my fellow Jets fans for help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

 

 

First of all, Sunday weddings are just rude.

But Sunday weddings during football season are unforgivable.

I don't think I am being hyperbolic when I say this marriage is already off to a terrible start. You are completely justified in skipping out to watch the game. If anyone objects, just have them DM me and I will explain it to them. 

They only need you for pictures anyway. Once that's done, your services are no longer required.

Enjoy the game!

 

If you want a more .....reasonably-priced affair, Friday night works great. Gives people a good excuse to either take off Friday or cut out early. 

People who do Sunday weddings suck . Everyone except the bride and groom have work Monday. How the f___ are your guests supposed to get properly tanked up with work looming the next day? Nobody is gonna do high end vodka shooters out of Stanley Cup ice sculpture,and really that is what true love is all about. Only excuse could be is if it's on a 3-day weekend

The only more selfish people are those who do dumber things, like New Year's Eve, or the day after Thanksgiving, or any time in the summer. Or "destination weddings". The Knights of Columbus and VFW hall are also 'destinations" that won't cost everyone a pile of $. If I'm going to the beach in a tropcial locale, why do you ahve to ruin it? 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If you want a more .....reasonably-priced affair, Friday night works great. Gives people a good excuse to either take off Friday or cut out early. 

People who do Sunday weddings suck . Everyone except the bride and groom have work Monday. How the f___ are your guests supposed to get properly tanked up with work looming the next day? Nobody is gonna do high end vodka shooters out of Stanley Cup ice sculpture,and really that is what true love is all about. Only excuse could be is if it's on a 3-day weekend

The only more selfish people are those who do dumber things, like New Year's Eve, or the day after Thanksgiving, or any time in the summer. Or "destination weddings". The Knights of Columbus and VFW hall are also 'destinations" that won't cost everyone a pile of $. If I'm going to the beach in a tropcial locale, why do you ahve to ruin it? 

I had a buddy get married on the 4th. New Years Eve is actually acceptable imo, because does anyone really ever have plans? It gives you something to do at least. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

As a football fan, I could never imagine planning a wedding on any Sunday during the season.  My wife would agree with that.  Even if my favorite team isn’t on, half the people are going to be preoccupied with their teams, or fantasy teams.  Know your audience :) 

Mobile phones.

I was one of 20 dads watching the Yanks/Astros game at my son's band concert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I am looking to my Jets brethren with some words of encouragement, since I will not be watching the Jets game tomorrow.  For whatever reason, the wedding is aligned exactly with game time.  The football gods are punishing me for something.  I haven't figured it out yet.

huh? bro, its your son getting married (hopefully a once in a lifetime occurence for him) the last thing that should be bothering you is missing a silly football game. if its that big a deal dvr it and watch it later. otherwise enjoy the day sharing in your sons happiness and there will be another game next week

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I had a buddy get married on the 4th. New Years Eve is actually acceptable imo, because does anyone really ever have plans? It gives you something to do at least. 

I recall scheduling our son's christening, and the monsignor says "what about date of  (Super Bowl) Sunday? I was like, c'mon, are you crazy; it's Super Bowl?! The Mrs. was mortified, but really, I was right. And he was even kinda apologetic. Turned out to be a really good guy. Was like, oh yeah, you don't want to schedule it for that day. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lurker89 said:

@Alka got to love when a when a tongue and cheek goes right over a bunch if peoples heads.

Congrats to you and your son, enjoy the wedding, the open bar on the other guys tab, and hopefully a Jets win.

Been the groom's dad; you get hit with the rehearsal dinner. I was thankful many of the guests were "friends of Bill W." Oh, so and so, is running late, she won't make the rehearasl dinner, oh, that's too bad' ; PICK UP THAT PLACE SETTING!. Was still concerned who ordered 2 appetizers and lobster tails, but it worked out. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Been the groom's dad; you get hit with the rehearsal dinner. I was thankful many of the guests were "friends of Bill W." Oh, so and so, is running late, she won't make the rehearasl dinner, oh, that's too bad' ; PICK UP THAT PLACE SETTING!. Was still concerned who ordered 2 appetizers and lobster tails, but it worked out. 

My kids are young one of each ...I will use these insights accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For future Fathers-of-the-Bride:  I can't tell you how many positive points I earned from both sides of the aisle with my FOB speech. Its still mentioned when I meet with distant in-laws at events.  It's pretty simple. Just PM me if you need help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

My best friend’s wedding was the Larry Johnson 4 pt play game. We watched it on a portable tv with like a 9 inch screen   You’ll be fine 

I got married on a Sunday afternoon during the season.   My wife and I had various relatives and friends going downstairs to the bar in the venue to get updates on the Jet game.   I can't remember who we were playing.

Congratulations to you and the happy couple, @Alka.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lith said:

My sister got married on December 27, 1981.  That was the date of the Jets Bils playoff game.  I was 20 years old.  My team makes its first playoff appearrance in over a decade, first timein my adult life, and my crazy ass bitch sister chooses that day to get married.  364 other days in the year that they could have gotten hitched, but she chooses Dec 27.  1981.  And I have to miss the game.  The fact that I missed the game has nothing to do the reason I call her a crazy ass bitch.  That was more of a result of the intervening 40+ years.  What makes it worse is she married a Dolphin fan,  They won the Division.  Had a bye that week.  His familly was happy.  They didn't miss their game.

I would like to tell you you get over it, but it still pisses me off today that I had to miss that one.  At least yours is a regular season game.

Congratulations!!! Enjoy the wedding.  Unlike 1981, there are DVRs so you can watch it later.

Funny you say that you remember the oddities. My father and I watch every game together… then, the afc title game against the Steelers my sister asked if her boyfriend, a giants fan, can come over and watch with us. My dad and I were beside ourselves and against it. Guy came over, we were down 24-3 at the half and to this day I always tell my father that no one else watches the games with us. My 18 month old daughter included…

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, usanyj said:

Funny you say that you remember the oddities. My father and I watch every game together… then, the afc title game against the Steelers my sister asked if her boyfriend, a giants fan, can come over and watch with us. My dad and I were beside ourselves and against it. Guy came over, we were down 24-3 at the half and to this day I always tell my father that no one else watches the games with us. My 18 month old daughter included…

From when we were first going out in the 80s, my wife and I swore we'd lock ourselves away in a room alone to watch a Jet Super Bowl.  The thought of anyone talking or otherwise distracting from the game would drive us insane.  And possibly to horrific violence toward the person(s).

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

From when we were first going out in the 80s, my wife and I swore we'd lock ourselves away in a room alone to watch a Jet Super Bowl.  The thought of anyone talking or otherwise distracting from the game would drive us insane.  And possibly to horrific violence toward the person(s).

Oh if they ever grace us with their presence in a super bowl, there will be no visitors, no party, just my father and I, watching a pacing back and forth for 4 hours… how it should be

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Oh if they ever grace us with their presence in a super bowl, there will be no visitors, no party, just my father and I, watching a pacing back and forth for 4 hours… how it should be

Yup.   100%  I'm getting close to the funeral pyre.   So I hope we get this dream realized relatively soon, usanyj.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alka said:

I am looking to my Jets brethren with some words of encouragement, since I will not be watching the Jets game tomorrow.  For whatever reason, the wedding is aligned exactly with game time.  The football gods are punishing me for something.  I haven't figured it out yet.

So....

1) This game will only happen once live.

2) 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce.

Now that you have all the information, make your decision accordingly.  No judgement, no sympathy, no ridicule either way.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...