My son is getting married tomorrow at 4:30 pm, and I will miss the game. Do you feel bad for me? Please give me some words of encouragement; it will help me get through it.

Alka

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

If you want a more .....reasonably-priced affair, Friday night works great. Gives people a good excuse to either take off Friday or cut out early. 

People who do Sunday weddings suck . Everyone except the bride and groom have work Monday. How the f___ are your guests supposed to get properly tanked up with work looming the next day? Nobody is gonna do high end vodka shooters out of Stanley Cup ice sculpture,and really that is what true love is all about. Only excuse could be is if it's on a 3-day weekend

The only more selfish people are those who do dumber things, like New Year's Eve, or the day after Thanksgiving, or any time in the summer. Or "destination weddings". The Knights of Columbus and VFW hall are also 'destinations" that won't cost everyone a pile of $. If I'm going to the beach in a tropcial locale, why do you ahve to ruin it? 

Why not take off work Monday instead of Friday?  What’s the difference?  

Congrats to your son and your family.

plenty of phones and other ways to catch the game during the ceremony and reception when no one is watching.

enjoy the  day and let’s top it off with a jet victory.

then get all the guests at the reception to do the jets chant.

we expect to see the video

• Upvote 1

Hey Alka

Remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer Simpson is listening to the play-by-play of an NFL Game in Sunday Church Services through ear buds do no one else could here it.. The team he was following hit the winning field goal in the closing seconds of the game. Home jumps up in the middle of the services yelling ........  IT'S GOOD IT'S GOOD IT'S GOOD

Too Funny Are you going to pull one of those ?

Just now, munchmemory said:

Is taping a cell phone to the officiant's forehead streaming the game out of the question?   Sound off, of course.

Is it any worse than asking the priest to say a special  prayer for the jets who were 0 and 4 at the time while he is pouring the water over my sons head baptizing him?

yes my son is now 30 and a jets fan

• Haha 2

if you have to miss a game , this one is it.

you dont want to miss the Pats and Bills the next 3 weeks. and after that its week 11. we should be in the playoff hunt and scoreboard watching. cant miss that.

if we were home i would say its a blowout, but we never do good in Denver. i think its a close boring game till the 4th when anything goes.

we dont do nothing till the 4th anyway so if you can get to the reception and find a tv by 6:30 you should be good.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Is it any worse than asking the priest to say a special  prayer for the jets who were 0 and 4 at the time while he is pouring the water over my sons head baptizing him?

yes my son is now 30 and a jets fan

This one is so incredibly awesome.  It goes into the book of NY Jet fan lore.  LMFAO!

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

This one is so incredibly awesome.  It goes into the book of NY Jet fan lore.  LMFAO!

Honest to god true story. 1992. My wife gave me the look of I am going to kill you.

now fast forward to the day he is getting married. Outside ceremony and the woman who was officiating the wedding stops mid way and asks each of the parents to say a special prayer for the bride and groom.

yup  you guessed it I ended mine with me asking her to say a special prayer for the jets.

sge just gave me a dirty look and was not happy.

My son  was laughing hysterically as was his wife

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Alka said:

I am looking to my Jets brethren with some words of encouragement, since I will not be watching the Jets game tomorrow.  For whatever reason, the wedding is aligned exactly with game time.  The football gods are punishing me for something.  I haven't figured it out yet.

Unacceptable. Sunday afternoon weddings are not allowed.

:)

congratulations though !

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, doitny said:

if you have to miss a game , this one is it.

you dont want to miss the Pats and Bills the next 3 weeks. and after that its week 11. we should be in the playoff hunt and scoreboard watching. cant miss that.

if we were home i would say its a blowout, but we never do good in Denver. i think its a close boring game till the 4th when anything goes.

we dont do nothing till the 4th anyway so if you can get to the reception and find a tv by 6:30 you should be good.

This is a great response.

• Upvote 1

A lifetime of support for your son is embodied in his wedding day, which hopefully happens but once. The way our world is going enjoy the wedding and leave all worries behind the Jets and entertainment will be there when you get back.  

Hoping that makes you feel better…..

Ummmmm but if it was me I would have someone hold up an iPhone and just stream the wedding :) 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Alka said:

I am looking to my Jets brethren with some words of encouragement, since I will not be watching the Jets game tomorrow.  For whatever reason, the wedding is aligned exactly with game time.  The football gods are punishing me for something.  I haven't figured it out yet.

Thinking about you and your family today!!!!!    When my daughter got married, I made this video. That was 2011.

316283_7931845_3436907.jpg

download.jpg

On 10/22/2022 at 9:21 AM, T0mShane said:

This is why the Spartans sent their children away to fend for themselves when they hit eight years of age. 

They didn't send them away to fend for themselves; they were sent into the charge of a veteran warriors who would teach them the ways of battle. It was a little kinky and definitely would not meet current standards. Even the Athenians next door were a little shocked by it. 

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 9:18 AM, Alka said:

I don't feel bad for you and will not give you words of encouragement.

Your son should have known to schedule his wedding during the Jets bye week or the week they play their Thursday night game.

This is your failing as a father.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/23/2022 at 2:20 PM, Klecko73isGod said:

I don't feel bad for you and will not give you words of encouragement.

Your son should have known to schedule his wedding during the Jets bye week or the week they play their Thursday night game.

This is your failing as a father.

Yes, I'm not perfect, but my son had nothing to do with scheduling this wedding.  The girl's family planned the entire event.  He just was a passenger, as was I.  But it all worked out.  The Jets won, and I actually was able to watch the entire 1st quarter of the game before the wedding ceremony.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, Bugg said:

If you want a more .....reasonably-priced affair, Friday night works great. Gives people a good excuse to either take off Friday or cut out early. 

People who do Sunday weddings suck . Everyone except the bride and groom have work Monday. How the f___ are your guests supposed to get properly tanked up with work looming the next day? Nobody is gonna do high end vodka shooters out of Stanley Cup ice sculpture,and really that is what true love is all about. Only excuse could be is if it's on a 3-day weekend

The only more selfish people are those who do dumber things, like New Year's Eve, or the day after Thanksgiving, or any time in the summer. Or "destination weddings". The Knights of Columbus and VFW hall are also 'destinations" that won't cost everyone a pile of $. If I'm going to the beach in a tropcial locale, why do you ahve to ruin it? 

I did a destination wedding. It's a terrific way to weed out the curmudgeons like you who don't actually want to go. ;)

On 10/22/2022 at 6:18 AM, Alka said:

So you are to blame for the ACL... 

On 10/22/2022 at 9:18 AM, Alka said:

Your son ended up making the best decision for you!