LaCanfora: Situation in Green Bay is about to become unglued.

T0mShane

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to be that versatile or schematically nimble these days. The PA cut practice time down to zero, and once you pay your QB, you can barely afford replacement level talent beyond WR1 and especially along the OL. You really just have to pick the thing you’re going to try to do well and lean into it. 

The trend is to try to win on the rookie contract and then kick the can down the road with an open window.   JD knows and is building a team to win without a $50m/yr QB.   Could be a rookie contract, could be Jimmy G, tannehil, Marriota or ZW. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Found this article interesting. LaCanfora talking to execs around the league about the Brady/Bucs and Rodgers/Pack decline. Generally speaking, offense is way down around the league, and it seems to be hitting the old-heads the hardest. Opinions vary as to why, but one of the trends has been defenses blitzing more out of cover two shells with a higher frequency of nickel personnel. You used to be able to cook that defense over the top—especially guys like Brady, Russ, Stafford, and Rodgers who are historically great against the blitz—but it’s not the case anymore. 

Anyway, it sounds like Rodgers is being a ******* menace on his way out the door:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/10/22/aaron-rodgers-tom-brady/

And the situation in Green Bay, in particular, could explode. Scouts and executives who have watched the Packers maintain that Rodgers’s body language is worse than ever. and he seems disinterested with even trying to push the ball down the field. (“They can’t get anything going on offense and it almost looks like he doesn’t want to be there,” one evaluator, who isn’t allowed to speak freely about other NFL personnel, told me. “It’s like he’s almost too willing to give up on a play.”) Rodgers’s 7.19 air yards per attempt is among the lowest of his career — more than a yard below his career average, per TruMedia. He is completing just 26.7 percent of his passes of 20 yards or longer, and Green Bay is averaging just 17.8 points per game, the lowest-scoring six-game stretch of his career.

Trust in his young core of receivers seems in short supply. The offense looks lost without superstar wide receiver Davante Adams, dealt to the Raiders in the offseason. Rodgers has a pedestrian-by-his-standards quarterback rating of 94.2, he’s been sacked 15 times already, and fissures may be growing.

Rodgers, who wanted more sway in personnel among his list demands to return to Green Bay before an eventual detente, is more empowered than ever to say whatever he feels, whenever he feels like it. His postgame remarks Sunday, echoing a repeated refrain to “simplify” the offense, were met around the league as a rebuff of head coach Matt LaFleur, who is dealing with real football tumult for the first time in his fourth season on the job. LaFleur seemed puzzled by the request — “I don’t know what that means,” he told reporters — but it’s likely not the last of his quarterback‘s cryptic comments.

They created a monster,” said one general manager, speaking on the condition of anonymity to be able to frankly discuss another team. “He’s got a voice in personnel now, or at least he thinks he does. The knives are about to come out there. That could get really ugly. They should have traded him when they had the chance, and they’re stuck with him now, whether he really wants to be there or not. [And this is] after everything they’ve gone through since they took Jordan Love, and that was when they were winning 13 games a year and he was playing like an MVP. They are in serious s--- now.”

He has no voice in roster. This is ridiculous take.

Rodgers has been begging for some help on the offense for years. They lost Adams and have a bunch of scrubs. Lazard is basically Jericho cotchery and he has cobb out there. 

He is asking to simplify it because he just need to quick outs to wr who can focus on one thing catching the damn ball.

Brady has crap catching and blocking all year. They are getting healthy and all of a sudden if by some magic trick he is playing great again.

I mean the whole premise is stupid I get people hate on Aaron Rodgers cause they are all political and sh*t but the crap they try to stick to him is nuts. Anyone with eyes can see his wr drop the damn ball. His ribs and the drop the damn ball. Hey you can see him getting sack and hit like crazy. No QB is good with that. Zilch. Brady is the number one example as good as anybqb ever been, yet with out weapons and hitting him, he looks like hot trash.

Idk this post gets me to point out the obvious so strenuously but damn cmon man

11 hours ago, Green DNA said:

Offense is way down all around the league.  Can't beat teams over the top.  Hmm interesting.  Maybe a strong running game is the way to get around this league wide quandary. 

Interesting concept, until you realize that the three best teams in the league, by a wide margin, are the Bills, Eagles, and Chiefs, who can drop three tuddies on you before you blink. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His team drafted zero 1st round WRs, TEs, and RBs for his entire 18-year career

WHAT?!?!

When you've got a QB like that, one of your top priorities as a GM (after an OL) should be to get him a star WR.  The Bengals' GM got JaMarr Chase for Burrow.  JD got GW for ZW.  Peyton Manning was given Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Edgerrin James.  

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

How is Jason La Canfora employed?

This article reminds me of Scott Templeton from Season Five of The Wire. For those who haven’t watched, Templeton was a hack who wrote for The Baltimore Sun who constantly made sh*t up in his articles. He came up with perfect fake quotes which always came from anonymous sources. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Two super bowls on teams with so so talent vs the best coach and QB of our era in things vs many years of teams loaded with high end talent that win one super bowl and epically fail when it counts.

So you're saying that if both QB's were at the beginning of their careers ready to be drafted, you'd pick Eli over Aaron? What are you smoking?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I was trying to figure out what's wrong with the Bucs - they have Tom Brady at QB and he is immune to defensive trends in the NFL but then I remembered who is now head coach of the Bucs - Todd Bowles - now Bowles is a great defensive coordinator but as a head coach lots of bad sh*tt will happen to the team and its happening.

They have 45-year-old Tom Brady, with his personal life in international public shambles. Neither his head nor heart are in it this season. His tantrums are probably more about what’s going on with him at home than on the field. Kinda like the way I used to call up Cablevision and yell at anyone who picked up when I was going thru my divorce (got a couple discounts, though). I feel bad for Bowles here, he was dealt another no-win hand. 

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new contract that Rodgers and the Packers signed changes things significantly. The deal is officially viewed as a three-year.$150.815 million contract extension. That includes a reported incredible, fully-guaranteed, base salary of $59.5 million in 2023 and $49.3 million that is not guaranteed in 2024.Jun 1, 2022

they are stuck with him through 2023 

On 10/22/2022 at 4:13 PM, Green DNA said:

Offense is way down all around the league.  Can't beat teams over the top.  Hmm interesting.  Maybe a strong running game is the way to get around this league wide quandary. 

Draft Becton’s kid in 2023. Get a jump up on the competition. 

3 minutes ago, Packers12 said:

Even you Jet fans are loving us losing. 

I have a love/hate relationship with The Packers. My 2 good buddies are brothers and like the Pack so there's that. I also generally like Aaron Rodgers while a lot seem to hate him. However, Snowbird Packer fans are some of douchiest people I have ever dealt with. That passive aggressive Midwest wannabe bully BS. It's tough.