Braxton Berrios’ turn tomorrow?

This guy always seems to step up when given the opportunity.   I know the sexier name is Mims but Berrios is the guy to watch.

Garrett slides to the outside and Berrios starts in the slot and has a big game!

One of the silver linings of the Moore drama is to test the above combo and different wide receiver groupings.  Moore on the outside wasn’t working.  Hopefully we’ll learn:

1. Is Wilson or Mims better suited for the Moore role?

2. Should Moore slide inside if he stays with the team?

3. Does Wilson, Davis, Mims, and Berrios make Moore expendable?

Should be interesting to watch.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Berrios is great and has good chemistry with Zach but Mims has been working his butt off and I think the coaching staff think Berrios is better for the occasional jetsweep or trick play while Mims might be better for the regulars.

• Upvote 2

Damn straight it’s his turn and he’s earned it

Probably the scrappiest dude on the team and is as sure handed as they come.

Get him a TD in the passing game tomorrow and he’s also bound to have a return for a TD by the end of the year.

At least one receiving TD, passing TD, rushing TD and return for a TD in the same season…

Has that sh*t even been done before?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Berrios isnt running down field the way they had Moore, I dont think the usage will be anywhere near the same.  I anticipate GW and Davis probably seeing less snaps from the slot and Berrios spending more time there w/ maybe a rotation of Mims

Yep, that’s what I wrote in the original post.  GW will get a shot at Moore’s role.  And that’s not a bad thing as he played both inside and outside at Ohio State.

I see Berrios playing a lot more snaps than Mims tomorrow.  We shall see.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Berrios running 9-routes against an NFL CB2 would make for some awesome All-22 excuse-making video. Put it on slow-mo with some Dido playing as the backdrop, baby. 

Joking aside Tom. I don't have all-22 so question.

From game time sight it looks like Zach throws a better ball in tight windows to BB. Because of that I thought they should be playing BB and be targeting him more until ZW's confidence gets up and he throws like that to everyone. 

Am I seeing right or do you see different? 

23 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yep, that’s what I wrote in the original post.  GW will get a shot at Moore’s role.  And that’s not a bad thing as he played both inside and outside at Ohio State.

I see Berrios playing a lot more snaps than Mims tomorrow.  We shall see.

Agreed.  I think we'll probably see a lot of similar formation, w/ Uzomah and Conklin getting a lot of snaps like in Green Bay.  Uzomah played 80% of the snaps last week, virtually an extra T, and Conklin played like 70%, so we could see maybe more routes out of them this week as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

doesnt he run a 4.4?

22 minutes ago, PorP said:

Joking aside Tom. I don't have all-22 so question.

From game time sight it looks like Zach throws a better ball in tight windows to BB. Because of that I thought they should be playing BB and be targeting him more until ZW's confidence gets up and he throws like that to everyone. 

Am I seeing right or do you see different? 

The Berrios-Zach connection generally works because Berrios is, for the most part, running very tiny routes right under Zach’s nose, and gets open as a result of defenders paying attention to other receivers, leaving Berrios as the outlet. Berrios has been targeted 10 times this season; four of those were behind the line of scrimmage. Only one was beyond ten yards. In Berrios’ big game as a Jet (vs the Bucs last year), his route chart kinda tells the story of what he can do, and why he’s so Zach-friendly—short routes and crossing patterns as the inside receiver against zone coverage. Pitch and putt stuff you’d normally throw to your TE2.

425EC6EF-0B4C-4FA8-8C30-B970A7F9B649.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Berrios-Zach connection generally works because Berrios is, for the most part, running very tiny routes right under Zach’s nose, and gets open as a result of defenders paying attention to other receivers, leaving Berrios as the outlet. Berrios has been targeted 10 times this season; four of those were behind the line of scrimmage. Only one was beyond ten yards. In Berrios’ big game as a Jet (vs the Bucs last year), his route chart kinda tells the story of what he can do, and why he’s so Zach-friendly—short routes and crossing patterns as the inside receiver against zone coverage. Pitch and putt stuff you’d normally throw to your TE2.

u didnt answer my question!

further what he CAN do and how he has been used are 2 different things...savvy?

Just now, SickJetFan said:

u didnt answer my question!

further what he CAN do and how he has been used are 2 different things...savvy?

That passing chart is the most concrete and optimistic estimate of what Berrios can do. If they try to line him up all day against a starting NFL CB, it’s probably not going to go well for the Jets.

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

This guy always seems to step up when given the opportunity.   I know the sexier name is Mims but Berrios is the guy to watch.

Garrett slides to the outside and Berrios starts in the slot and has a big game!

One of the silver linings of the Moore drama is to test the above combo and different wide receiver groupings.  Moore on the outside wasn’t working.  Hopefully we’ll learn:

1. Is Wilson or Mims better suited for the Moore role?

2. Should Moore slide inside if he stays with the team?

3. Does Wilson, Davis, Mims, and Berrios make Moore expendable?

Should be interesting to watch.  

One of the receivers is going to have a chance at a monster game. I guess you'd put Breece/TEs in that mix too. Unless the Broncos let us run all over them, someone is going to have to bust out and be open for Zach. 

Mims has height. Could be interesting to see what happens. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks for the detailed response man! 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

That passing chart is the most concrete and optimistic estimate of what Berrios can do. If they try to line him up all day against a starting NFL CB, it’s probably not going to go well for the Jets.

? i tho it was a chart of what he did not what he can do.  he runs 4.4 gw runs? 4.38? how many squiggly lines does gw have on that fancy tool?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not that it's really disputable but I don't understand why,  Berrios is fairly quick and he is somewhat small so his cut should be good. 

10 minutes ago, PorP said:

Not that it's really disputable but I don't understand why,  Berrios is fairly quick and he is somewhat small so his cut should be good. 

If they line up Berrios wide, the CB would just drop down into man, swallow him hole, and the rest of the coverage would rotate over two whoever was playing on the other side. Berrios is juicy, but he’s not built to compete against a CB is press man. It’d be Tavon Austin problems, but worse.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If they line up Berrios wide, the CB would just drop down into man, swallow him hole, and the rest of the coverage would rotate over two whoever was playing on the other side. Berrios is juicy, but he’s not built to compete against a CB is press man. It’d be Tavon Austin problems, but worse.

hes >10lb bigger than moore and same weight as Tyreek hill and only 1 inch shorter and runs faster than most CB2

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

hes >10lb bigger than moore and same weight as Tyreek hill and only 1 inch shorter and runs faster than most CB2

He has elite short area quickness and acceleration, I think he tops off at 4.45

he has short arms and doesn’t have great leaping ability so he is bad on the outside. He is an on the ground player