Updated Rep Icons

Sperm Edwards

I liked the sad face for sympathy/something sad/bad news and as a no-rep or +1 option.

Also on mobile I’m now not seeing an option to rep at all.

Edit: Apparently the option IS there just can’t see it. As in its a white space.

thanks for your efforts on this.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I updated the icons just now. They can still be updated again, but for now:

1. Up vote (green up-arrow) —> changed to Thumb up with (new icon: thumb up). Part of me still likes the up-arrow even though it didn’t match the thumb-down, and a red down-arrow - like we used to have - just seems more obnoxious & confrontational than a thumb-down icon.
  2. Thumb down —> (just updated the icon to a newer one)
  3. Confused —> changed to WTF (updated the icon)
  4. POTW —> (unchanged; no reason, and I like the way the purple sticks out better than matching the gold-yellow)
  5. Sad —> changed to Sympathy (icon changed to the blue heart from “like”)
  6. Haha —> (just updated the icon)
  7. Like —> (removed; was the same thing as up-vote/thumb-up anyway)
  8. (new) —> added Ugh (new icon: puke)

Didn’t make the cut:

• Poop (went with puke instead; sue me)
  • Like (as mentioned; it was redundant)
  • On fire (had no problem adding it, but didn’t want too many)
  • Bag on head (again, went with puke instead; was a coin toss given the rich Jets history of fans in the stands wearing this to hide the shame of being positively identified as Jets fans)

Also:

• Minor, but POTW counts the same as a regular thumb-up (and has for some time now). It’s not a setting that can be changed. Only choices are +1, -1, or 0. Just noting that it’s not an oversight. I know rep points are very serious business. 
  • Ugh/puke isn’t negative points; I figure often it’ll be used in response to a post conveying “ugh” type news/info, rather than directing it at the one posting it. Don’t shoot the messenger & such.
  • Different color heart… red seemed more valentine-ish than sympathy/sadness; green would’ve been ok except it’d get lost against the background color; so I just reused the blue one.
  • I made sympathy/heart the default because this platform changes the unselected-default to a white/gray one, and the outline of just a white thumb-up with gray separations looked really strange. If you rate a post, it’ll replace that gray heart with the rating you’ve given.
  • Though I removed the “like” rep, past “like” votes still get tallied (the site software doesn’t go back & recalculate). However it won’t show those votes anymore if it’s no longer an active rep option. So it’s like your gift was still given & received, but there’s no receipt lol.

Change is bad .

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Sympathy is the heart?

I always thought the heart was “love” as in I love this post more then a like, but it’s still not post of the week material. 

The heart as sympathy seems sort of like a 180 from its previous usage.  I think most people associate a heart with "love".    It never made sense to me to have the heart when we have a thumbs up and POTW.  I guess it could be what you said ("I love this post more then a like, but it’s still not post of the week material") but it seems like overkill, at least to me.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I updated the icons just now. They can still be updated again, but for now:

1. Up vote (green up-arrow) —> changed to Thumb up with (new icon: thumb up). Part of me still likes the up-arrow even though it didn’t match the thumb-down, and a red down-arrow - like we used to have - just seems more obnoxious & confrontational than a thumb-down icon.
  2. Thumb down —> (just updated the icon to a newer one)
  3. Confused —> changed to WTF (updated the icon)
  4. POTW —> (unchanged; no reason, and I like the way the purple sticks out better than matching the gold-yellow)
  5. Sad —> changed to Sympathy (icon changed to the blue heart from “like”)
  6. Haha —> (just updated the icon)
  7. Like —> (removed; was the same thing as up-vote/thumb-up anyway)
  8. (new) —> added Ugh (new icon: puke)

Didn’t make the cut:

• Poop (went with puke instead; sue me)
  • Like (as mentioned; it was redundant)
  • On fire (had no problem adding it, but didn’t want too many)
  • Bag on head (again, went with puke instead; was a coin toss given the rich Jets history of fans in the stands wearing this to hide the shame of being positively identified as Jets fans)

Also:

• Minor, but POTW counts the same as a regular thumb-up (and has for some time now). It’s not a setting that can be changed. Only choices are +1, -1, or 0. Just noting that it’s not an oversight. I know rep points are very serious business. 
  • Ugh/puke isn’t negative points; I figure often it’ll be used in response to a post conveying “ugh” type news/info, rather than directing it at the one posting it. Don’t shoot the messenger & such.
  • Different color heart… red seemed more valentine-ish than sympathy/sadness; green would’ve been ok except it’d get lost against the background color; so I just reused the blue one.
  • I made sympathy/heart the default because this platform changes the unselected-default to a white/gray one, and the outline of just a white thumb-up with gray separations looked really strange. If you rate a post, it’ll replace that gray heart with the rating you’ve given.
  • Though I removed the “like” rep, past “like” votes still get tallied (the site software doesn’t go back & recalculate). However it won’t show those votes anymore if it’s no longer an active rep option. So it’s like your gift was still given & received, but there’s no receipt lol.

So does the rep still count? Im confused...

No offense implied with my vomit emoji Sperm, just wanted to spew a tad LOL

Thanks for the update in this @Sperm Edwards.

Prepare for a lot of confusion about sympathy being the default. Most of the users here who weighed in on the rep stuff, have all looked at thumbs-up as like, heart as love. Since the heart was used for this in the past, shifting it to a new mental model and having it be sympathy is going to be jarring to users.

I might suggest using the hug 🤗 or hope/thanks 🙏 emojis for the sympathy emotion, and have it default to a heart for like, thumbs down for dislike, potw is the escalator for like. No need for love. This better aligns to the learned behaviors users have for the old icons that will continue being used.

All the rest are great. If I come upon any of my past used tests about guys stuff I’ll see if there’s anything else there that can be helpful.

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Sympathy is the heart?

I always thought the heart was “love” as in I love this post more then a like, but it’s still not post of the week material. 

Well you’ve been wrong all this time. It’s sympathy. ;) 

Anyway like I said, I reused the blue one because a red heart seemed much more love/valentine. Also it seemed too girly and, while I’ve been working on my personal growth, I’m not quite there yet. It’s a process.

Reason I used a heart: is if someone posts some bad personal news, as isn’t uncommon, a heart seemed less trite than a sad face with tears flowing. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Anyway like I said, I reused the blue one because a red heart seemed much more love/valentine. Also it seemed too girly and, while I’ve been working on my personal growth, I’m not quite there yet. It’s a process.

Reason I used a heart: is if someone posts some bad personal news, as isn’t uncommon, a heart seemed less trite than a sad face with tears flowing. 

Just change it back and find something else to do 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Thanks for the update in this @Sperm Edwards.

Prepare for a lot of confusion about sympathy being the default. Most of the users here who weighed in on the rep stuff, have all looked at thumbs-up as like, heart as love. Since the heart was used for this in the past, shifting it to a new mental model and having it be sympathy is going to be jarring to users.

I might suggest using the hug 🤗 or hope/thanks 🙏 emojis for the sympathy emotion, and have it default to a heart for like, thumbs down for dislike, potw is the escalator for like. No need for love. This better aligns to the learned behaviors users have for the old icons that will continue being used.

All the rest are great. If I come upon any of my past used tests about guys stuff I’ll see if there’s anything else there that can be helpful.

Agree, which is why I already changed it. But you see the problem I started with, which is that white outline of a thumb up. Wasn’t a problem with the up-arrow. Not the end of the world.

I like the idea of the hug or hope/thanks. Can change that and can update the “meaning” from purely “sympathy” to something else. Too many times “sad” just seemed out of place. Plus “sad” doesn’t naturally mean “I feel sad/bad for you” like if I saw you picking ticks off yourself.

I made it the pray-hands icon for now. Anyway whatever people think. Like I said this isn’t chiseled in stone.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, and it shows nothing in the bottom right - which makes it look like rep is turned off. 

F2A823B0-2A6D-40A8-A6F3-D7C328803AB9.jpeg

Again that’s because the thumbs up doesn’t have enough contrast that when the site changes it to white & light gray…

I’m putting that back to the green up-arrow for now. Part of me didn’t like the way up voting and down voting was the same color anyway. I once tried to make a green thumbs up months ago when we were going over this but it looked like a green erect dick. Still thinking of using it lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree, which is why I already changed it. But you see the problem I started with, which is that white outline of a thumb up. Wasn’t a problem with the up-arrow. Not the end of the world.

I like the idea of the hug or hope/thanks. Can change that and can update the “meaning” from purely “sympathy” to something else. Too many times “sad” just seemed out of place. Plus “sad” doesn’t naturally mean “I feel sad/bad for you” like if I saw you picking ticks off yourself.

I made it the pray-hands icon for now. Anyway whatever people think. Like I said this isn’t chiseled in stone.

Haha, I get it. 

It’s hard to please everyone, too. 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Haha, I get it. 

It’s hard to please everyone, too. 

Yep, when I asked the board months ago I got dozens of different opinions. Pretty inevitable. 

I get that the yellow thumbs-up matched better as a “set” but tbh it didn’t work (especially with the way the platform monochromes the default icon so lightly).

Anyway it can still be changed if/when someone posts something better. Fine by me. 

I’ll let it sit for a while before next changes to give people ample time to “advise” me lol. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again that’s because the thumbs up doesn’t have enough contrast that when the site changes it to white & light gray…

I’m putting that back to the green up-arrow for now. Part of me didn’t like the way up voting and down voting was the same color anyway. I once tried to make a green thumbs up months ago when we were going over this but it looked like a green erect dick. Still thinking of using it lol.

Please pm it to @JiFapono and me. Thx

Jokes aside, the grey ghosted up arrow serves as a prompt for beginning the micro-task of adding rep. It’s good to have it back and defaulting to upvote. This is a natural correlation and existing mental model for JN users.

It’s not really an issue, but they don’t have a red down arrow you can use/make instead of thumbs down? Then the paradigm is up or down vote and the visual language is natural opposites . 

The rest of it is great.

2 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

do they have the crying laughing emoji? The > < just isn’t funny IMO 

He’s trying to build a system that works for a broad user base and doesn’t required much cognitive load. Making you laugh isn’t a user requirement.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

God damnit. I wanted to love this post, but now there’s no love. 

💔