Zach Wilson Thru the Denver Game (YtY Change in Passing Production Rankings)

Warfish

Yes, definitely been underwhelming so far.    Keep in mind the Jets have been playing some pretty limp offenses and it's been more important to avoid turnovers than take chances down the field.   No turnovers is allowing the team to grind out wins.  We'll see what happens this week vs. NE, cautiously optimistic that ZW is going to show up.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Zach Wilson in 2022 thru week 7 is currently ranked:

• 32nd in Completion Percentage (57.4%).  He was ranked 31st in 2021 (55.6%).
  • 34th in TD Pass Percentage (1.0%)..  He was ranked 29th in 2021 (2.3%).
  • 17th in INT Pass Percentage (2.0%).  He was ranked 29th in 2021 (2.9%).
  • 23rd in Sack Percentage (7.3%).  He was ranked 32nd in 2021 (10.3%).
  • 19th in Yards Per Attempt (6.9 YPA).  He was ranked 20th in 2021 (6.1 YPA).
  • 28th in Yards Per Game (173.3 YPG).  He was ranked 30th in 2021 (179.5 YPG).
  • 31st in QB Rating (73.6).  He was ranked 31st in 2021 (69.7).

And of course, team record when starting, he was 3-10 in 2021, he is 4-0 this year.

So we see so far this year a ~2% increase in completion percentage, drops in both Pass TD rate and INT rate, a drop in how often he is sacked, an increase in yards per pass attempt, but a slight drop in total passing yards per game. 

Ultimately this results in a slightly higher QB rating (Note, not QBR, but the old QB Rating metric).

Also worth noting ZW completion % was in the 60s yesterday.  I think that might only be his 2nd(?) NFL game with completions over 60.

Not much of an excuse but worth noting that he is truly facing the most brutal gauntlet of pass defenses I can recall.

Two of his last three opponents and all three of his next ones.  We may not see the Zach Wilson we want to see until Week 11 vs. Chicago.  Sucks, but it is what it is.  Overall, it's a weirdly tough schedule considering our 4th place finish last year, but at least we have a few much easier opponents after that including CHI, JAX, and DET.  

image.png

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And of course, team record when starting, he was 3-10 in 2021, he is 4-0 this year.

So we see so far this year a ~2% increase in completion percentage, drops in both Pass TD rate and INT rate, a drop in how often he is sacked, an increase in yards per pass attempt, but a slight drop in total passing yards per game. 

Ultimately this results in a slightly higher QB rating (Note, not QBR, but the old QB Rating metric).

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

• Haha 1

He hasn't been good enough.  Needs to be better.  One bit of context that needs to be at least acknowledged is that QB play is down across the board this year.  44% of the league is averaging 1 passing TD or fewer per game.

Being 5-2 makes it more palatable to ride this out for now and see if he can get better before the end of the season.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We may not see the Zach Wilson we want to see until Week 11 vs. Chicago.  Sucks, but it is what it is.

What I'm afraid of is that the Zach Wilson we're seeing now won't be enough to overcome a dominant Bills team, and a Bill Belichick defense twice.

We'll see, I guess.

• Upvote 1

Those stats are ugly and show very little improvement from last year. There is no excuse when you have a much better supporting cast this year. He's just not very good and people hoping that he is going to take this giant leap are going to be disappointed. He has 10 games to show something or this team will have to draft another QB at some point in next years draft. 

• Upvote 4

I am beginning to think he’s not the answer as his accuracy has to improve he just throws ALOT of balls that his receivers have turn their bodies around to make the catch instead of hitting them in stride so they can make yards after catch and some relatively easy throw he flat out misses 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

You should go and look at Josh Allens stats his first 2 FULL years, 32 games! 

Zach just started his 17th. Not every QB starts out hot like Herbert. Some younger QB's like Zach take a couple of years to get it and play well enough to carry a team.

I remember everyone was calling Allen a bust and screaming for his replacement, much like some of us here on this site every day. Imagine if the Bills front office gave up on him so quickly? Where would they be now?

I agree that the qb play needs to improve. I also know that Zach is very young and these things take time. We have to give this kid at least 3 years to develop. In spite of your stats there has been a lot of improvement in his game. Turnovers for one, and the kid has ELITE escapability and real arm talent. 

I cant predict the future, but there is a definite chance. A good chance that it will all come together for this kid at some point.

Lets not make a hasty, emotional decision, and ride him out of town just yet. Think about Allen and the many other QB's who have developed into great QB's in their third and fourth seasons.

Instead of ALWAYS looking for the bad in his game, take some time to see the potential and the improvement. You Zach haters will feel a lot better about things, I promise.

Agreed. This is the same board that wanted Ulbrich fired after the Ravens game. That game yesterday was at altitude against  the number 1 defense in the league. We were down 4 offensive starters by the 2nd half and had a ton of drive killing penalties and still won. Patience with a young QB is hard but winning makes it easier.  My God even Geno Smith is finally living up to his talent although I’m not suggesting we have to wait that many years to judge, but let’s at least give Zach another 17 games to see improvement. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

When guys are open you have to hit them. Period. If you can’t do that, you won’t be in this league long.

I agree 100 percent, and Wilson can’t do that right now. Will it ever change, who knows. You get a lot longer of a leash when you are winning to try and figure things out. That and the natural arm talent keeps the glimmer of hope he turns it around alive. When they start losing, ZW still playing the same way, there will be alit more people giving up on him 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

He needs to be better. He didn't play awful yesterday but there were a number of really bad misses that he should be completing in his sleep. There were 4 throws that he flat out missed which could've gone for 10+ yard first downs. That right there could be the difference between winning by 7 vs winning by 21. 

Again, I'm going to refrain from making a big deal of the stats. I'm less concerned with the lack of production than I am the inconsistent play early in games. Zach's performance in the 4th quarter is significantly better than its been in other quarters, and the Jets/Zach need to find out why that is and get that level of play across an entire game. 

The team expects (and I find myself agreeing) that the passing offense is going to significantly pick up steam coming out of the bye regardless what happens these next 2 weeks. Zach is doing exactly what they're asking him to do, and this was the game plan going in (which is why Elijah lost it on Thursday). Still, its on Zach to figure out how to be more consistent early in games, and on the coaches to figure out how to get his 4th quarter Zach out of him in first halves... Boomer made a point to say how Josh Allen would ask Daboll for designed runs to open up games because he felt taking a hit or 2 would get him in the zone. I would rather that not be the case for Zach lol but to that point, they need to find out what gets him to tick so that they can get in a rhythm early in games. 

Any reason why LaFleur wouldn't try a few deep shots?  He's got the speed, and if Mims is playing he has the size.  With Zach's +arm, why not air out a couple?  Maybe it hits, maybe it produces a DPI.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Okay yes his production is ass, however he’s had 2 turnovers in 4 games averaging 0.5 per game and is 4-0. Simply put he’s not losing us games and was perfection the only time we needed him to win us a game. I want to see a lot more out of him but there are positives.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Zach must know that JD will not be tied to him much longer. Jimmy G is a FA next year and has ties to NY. Jets have offensive weapons and Jimmy is tight with Laken, Saleh and LeFleur. JD will not worry about a wasted #2 pick, especially when the rest of the team is filled with talent on both sides of the ball.

time watch GIF by Chris Kläfford

You're thinking too small.

Think another handsome veteran QB on the last year of his contract... 

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I'm still looking for someone to give me the answer to the "When was the last time a QB on a 3 game win streak has not thrown for a TD in any of those games?

2016.  Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage led Texans.  Won 3 straight in December without a passing TD.  That team went to the playoffs.

Before that the 2013 Chiefs of Alex Smith did it in October.  That team won the Division and went to the playoffs,

Finally, in the best omen possible, the Jets did it in 1968.  They actually won 4 straight without a passing TD: Beat Houston 20-14 on 10/20, beat Boston 48-14 on 10/27, then Buffalo 25-21 and finally beat Houston again, 26-7.  During that 4 game stretch Namath went 39 for 93 for 673 yards. 0 TDs and 3 picks.  He actually went 6 straight that season without a passing TD, but they did have a loss mixed in.

• Upvote 2