Zach Wilson Thru the Denver Game (YtY Change in Passing Production Rankings)

Warfish

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I done see them saying Pickett is lighting it up, they’re saying he’s being allowed to take shots downfield while Wilson isn’t.. At least that’s what I’m reading?

I think anyone would be hard pressed to say Pickett is lighting anything up.

C'mon if you took a poll of Jets fans today - how many would take Pickett over Wilson right now. I'd say at least 85% and I'm being conserative . it's probably closer to 95% . Jets fans are stat watchers and notoriously over reactionary. 

Wilson will be forced to throw more downfield going forward w/o Hall , I 'm waiting for the pitchforks after the 1st int.  

21 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

If he doesn't show improvement this year you cannot pencil him in as a starter for next year. If they do then Elijah Moore wont be the last to revolt. 

At the bare minimum you would bring in some decent veteran competition and make him earn the job. I can't emphasize enough how quickly the goodwill will wear off in the next few weeks if the performance level continues and the wins dry up. 

Yeah I mean, I know where I’m at on him. I don’t know where those running decisions are on him. It’ll be interesting.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah so you've done this?

I can buy the expert take that he's better.  But night and day?  Come the f**k on.

In fact I have lol. I'm not trying to be snobby either, just explaining things the way they have been explained to me. He's doing the little things down-to-down far more consistently then he was last year. The thing that us fans don't consider enough is the process. If Zach has the same performance as he did yesterday but Garrett Wilson and Michael Carter break  tackles and take it to the house, the narrative today is that Zach Wilson had 200 yards passing and 2 TDs while completing 61.5% of his passes. The coaches don't see it that way; they're in the meeting room harping on the throws he should've made more accurately or the throws that he missed because he ultimately left yards on the field. On the stat sheet that Garrett Wilson catch for 8 yards goes down as a completion but the coaches are not celebrating that rep for Zach. If Breece Hall doesn't get stopped at the 1 twice against Miami, the narrative is that Zach had an insane 14/21 for 212 yards and 2 TD performance. However, the coaches don't see a difference. They reward the QB for making the right read and throw and executed the offense the way they wanted it to be executed. Sure they're happy in the moment in a situation like Tennessee where Zach throws a bomb off script for a 50 yard TD, but it's not what they go into the game wanting it, and they surely are using it as a coachable moment. They want him to learn how to be a boring QB and then mirror the playmaking ability with the game manager. 

Don't get me wrong, players and the coaches like to point to the stats just as the fans do, but its not how they're being  evaluated in the grand scheme of things, especially in this offense. They're evaluating down-by-down, play-by-play, situation-by-situation. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

C'mon if you took a poll of Jets fans today - how many would take Pickett over Wilson right now. I'd say at least 85% and I'm being conserative . it's probably closer to 95% . Jets fans are stat watchers and notoriously over reactionary. 

Wilson will be forced to throw more downfield going forward w/o Hall , I 'm waiting for the pitchforks after the 1st int.  

Ah, okay. I didn’t realize that’s what you meant. Totally agree that most here would take Pickett over Wilson. (I would also, tbh)

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Elaborate

You talk about context. What were Zach Wilson’s stats yesterday if you remove throws that travelled 5+ yards past the los? Seriously I really want to see that number.

He was terrible and your post above is ridiculous

- What about the context of what could/should have been a fumble return for a TD?

- Why is he constantly turning his back to the los under pressure? Why does he routinely fail to throw is away when pressured wide and often take needless losses? 

- What about every throw that went 10+ yards down field being laughably off target including a throw to Berrios in double coverage that went threw a defenders hands? What was the process they liked on that one?

- What about the constant off-platform throws, often under no pressure which miss wildly more often than not?

- Even his completions are often off target, including one of those oh so near Breece Hall TD’s, he made it a far more difficult catch than it needed to be. Where is that context? Mims’ “drop” yesterday is a play an NFL QB has to make 99/100 times - Zach has been missing them routinely going back to last season.

The improvement you speak of is in your head. His best game remains his first game and whatever work is being done to fix his issues isn’t showing up. You throw out names like Mahomes and Rodgers as comparisons and it reads like a parody, it’s impossible to conceive of those guys looking this bad.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

If Zach has the same performance as he did yesterday but Garrett Wilson and Michael Carter break  tackles and take it to the house, the narrative today is that Zach Wilson had 200 yards passing and 2 TDs while completing 61.5% of his passes.

Since few QB's in the league have benefitted more from YAC than Zach Wilson this year, this is laughable my man.  

I can spin this in the other direction too:  Imagine what Garrett Wilson's stats would look like now if he was getting more catchable passes.  Even the carcass of Joe Flacco had Wilson looking like a stud.  Now?  Non-factor.  

Don't get me wrong, players and the coaches like to point to the stats just as the fans do, but its not how they're being  evaluated in the grand scheme of things, especially in this offense. They're evaluating down-by-down, play-by-play, situation-by-situation. 

That's fine.  And again, I take no issue with giving you and your independent QB coach the benefit of the doubt and assume the stats aren't telling the whole picture, and that secretly Zach is doing a lot of the "process" stuff right.

I merely took issue with the "night and day" comment, which nothing you've said so far has been able to back up.  He's not "night and day" different from last year.  He's a year 2 QB doing some things marginally better than he did last year, while still failing to pass the kind of eye test that even a top 25 QB would pass.

Independent QB coaches tend to see what they want to see just like the rest of us, even if they're drawing from a much greater knowledge base when they do so.  And like us, they're influenced by their pre-draft evaluations.  My guess is this guy loved Zach entering the draft.  Because otherwise there's no friggin way any expert/analyst can look at what Zach has done to this point in the season and come away impressed.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Proving that I'm mentally ill is not the same as proving Zach is a decent qb 

It's called attacking the source and in debate circles that strategy means you've lost the argument 

There's no argument that Zach sucks ass there's a thousand different stats to prove it 

But if you want to make the argument that Bitonti is an erratic and inconsistent poster, well, you'll find no fight here 

The Jets are 5-2 on their way to 5-5 that's what's going to happen

Put it another way my posting abilities and Zach's qb abilities are both suspicious 

The difference is that no one is paying me 24 million dollars for my ice cold takes 

He's a huge asset or supposed to be but he has no trade value no fantasy value no other real things to point out. At least he is entertaining as a milf hunter because as a QB there's probably 50 backups that could turn in the same shifts 

If they are just going to throw 5 yard swings to the rb, anyone can do it. They could have drafted Bailey zappe and gotten better results 

Honest question would you trade wilson for zappe right now? Straight up? Probably not because this idea of upside. I just don't think Zach really has that much upside. Maybe he figures it out year 9 like Geno Smith or something. But the dude doesn't know how to play nfl qb and how many years will it take him to learn? 

i have shown you numerous times actual facts on Woody's cash spending yet you continue to spout out false statements in this regard.  you claim that Zach was drafted due to JetBlue.   which is just a bad take.  So, yah i am attacking the source because it's crazy statements.

now your point on ZW sucking?  he might.  doesn't look too hot.  personally i am giving him this year and i want to see much more improvement.  I want him to succeed, I am a Jet fan.  But if he doesn't, no probably getting another QB (ideally not in the draft).

I haven't seen Zappe play much so i can't say.  I'd rather have Zach than Jones.

i'll be at Sunday's game rooting for the team to be 6-2,  not 5-3 on their way to 5-5.

In fact I have lol. I'm not trying to be snobby either, just explaining things the way they have been explained to me. He's doing the little things down-to-down far more consistently then he was last year. The thing that us fans don't consider enough is the process. If Zach has the same performance as he did yesterday but Garrett Wilson and Michael Carter break  tackles and take it to the house, the narrative today is that Zach Wilson had 200 yards passing and 2 TDs while completing 61.5% of his passes. The coaches don't see it that way; they're in the meeting room harping on the throws he should've made more accurately or the throws that he missed because he ultimately left yards on the field. On the stat sheet that Garrett Wilson catch for 8 yards goes down as a completion but the coaches are not celebrating that rep for Zach. If Breece Hall doesn't get stopped at the 1 twice against Miami, the narrative is that Zach had an insane 14/21 for 212 yards and 2 TD performance. However, the coaches don't see a difference. They reward the QB for making the right read and throw and executed the offense the way they wanted it to be executed. Sure they're happy in the moment in a situation like Tennessee where Zach throws a bomb off script for a 50 yard TD, but it's not what they go into the game wanting it, and they surely are using it as a coachable moment. They want him to learn how to be a boring QB and then mirror the playmaking ability with the game manager. 

wouldn't mac jones have been a better "boring" QB then?  

he did not look good yesterday.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i have shown you numerous times actual facts on Woody's cash spending yet you continue to spout out false statements in this regard.  you claim that Zach was drafted due to JetBlue.   which is just a bad take.  So, yah i am attacking the source because it's crazy statements.

now your point on ZW sucking?  he might.  doesn't look too hot.  personally i am giving him this year and i want to see much more improvement.  I want him to succeed, I am a Jet fan.  But if he doesn't, no probably getting another QB (ideally not in the draft).

I haven't seen Zappe play much so i can't say.  I'd rather have Zach than Jones.

i'll be at Sunday's game rooting for the team to be 6-2,  not 5-3 on their way to 5-5.

it's not that Zach was drafted because of JetBlue. 

it's that I can't figure out any logical reason why anyone would draft this player 2 overall

so the mind wanders to illogical reasons.  

You haven't seen Bailey Zappe? well, friend, you're missing out 

He's completing 73%. Zach is around 56. 

I root for the team to win every week fwiw i just don't think my rooting or posting or faith has any impact on the outcome 

no one was more positive than me, for decades. I watched ten Tom Brady blowouts in person and one time I even travelled to foxboro to see it happen on the road in the playoffs 

spoiler alert the fans hopes doesn't actually move the needle 

54 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Where did you find this answer Chiro?

My little pea brain?  Dilfer was 7-1 with 8 TD passes.  I know they had a 5 week period where they scored 42 points.

I don't know, it seemed plausible.   If not him, David Woodley on the 82 Dolphins.  He threw 5 TD passes all year, and they went to the SB.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Zach Wilson in 2022 thru week 7 is currently ranked:

• 32nd in Completion Percentage (57.4%).  He was ranked 31st in 2021 (55.6%).
  • 34th in TD Pass Percentage (1.0%)..  He was ranked 29th in 2021 (2.3%).
  • 17th in INT Pass Percentage (2.0%).  He was ranked 29th in 2021 (2.9%).
  • 23rd in Sack Percentage (7.3%).  He was ranked 32nd in 2021 (10.3%).
  • 19th in Yards Per Attempt (6.9 YPA).  He was ranked 20th in 2021 (6.1 YPA).
  • 28th in Yards Per Game (173.3 YPG).  He was ranked 30th in 2021 (179.5 YPG).
  • 31st in QB Rating (73.6).  He was ranked 31st in 2021 (69.7).

cleaning-weapons-robert.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not that Zach was drafted because of JetBlue. 

it's that I can't figure out any logical reason why anyone would draft this player 2 overall

so the mind wanders to illogical reasons.  

You haven't seen Bailey Zappe? well, friend, you're missing out 

He's completing 73%. Zach is around 56. 

I root for the team to win every week fwiw i just don't think my rooting or posting or faith has any impact on the outcome 

no one was more positive than me, for decades. I watched ten Tom Brady blowouts in person and one time I even travelled to foxboro to see it happen on the road in the playoffs 

spoiler alert the fans hopes doesn't actually move the needle 

i'll see him sunday and hopefully our defense gets to him.

you might not have drafted him second - but Douglas who is paid to make these decisions thought it was the best idea.  to think that he and Salah are going to throw away their reputation (and 3 years of their lives) to draft someone they don't want?  please.  all to make Woody Johnson happy?  remember, your view is that Woody's a cheap bastard, so how exactly did he convince Douglas and Salah to throw away their careers?  

Free bandaids?

of course fans don't move the needle, even though they give me 500 reward points every time there is a Delay of Game penalty on the opposing team.

you posting doesn't seem to like the Jets winning, seems like it's pretty negative.

6 hours ago, football guy said:

Since day 1 the people who work in the NFL with the Jets/Giants and others have said year 3-4 is when you can really expect Zach to take off. 

You made that up.  I follow the Jets.  Nobody ever called him a 3 - 4 project.  Nor did they believe it.  They threw him to the wolves and he was NOT ready.   Nor do you take projects with the #2 pick.   They did not think he was a project.  He is a massive disappointment.

You claim to have connections to the Jets.  OK.  But that sounds like nonsense to me and nobody said it out loud when we took him.

4 hours ago, football guy said:

This is why stats need to be evaluated in context though. Remove the stats from the equation and just the tape play-to-play. He's night and day better this year than he was last year and I don't think its very close

If you look at the play by play, you can track each and every single bad pass to his footwork.   His footwork and ballhandling in the backfield are unworthy of a professional athlete.  People here rewatch tape.  He is not getting better.  He is getting receivers hurt.   Geno Smith knew how to fool you in the backfield and I never questioned Mark Sanchez' footwork.  

Everybody is not wrong.  These are real problems.   

3 hours ago, football guy said:

No doubt Josh Allen is a bigger and stronger athlete, but to say that Zach Wilson is a "below average athlete" is moronic. He's a freak athlete and by no means is "small"

• Avg starting QB: 6'2 3/4", 220.7 lb.
  • Zach WIlson: 6'2 1/8", 221 lb. 

Criticize Zach Wilson for his play, criticize him for having a baby face, but the Zach Wilson hate by some on this board borders on the line of insanity lol. I get that fans get emotional with their opinions/perspectives, but the amount of guys on here literally making up alternative realities to support their own opinions has reached a mindboggling level

Now this is just too much.  Zach WIlson is one of the most ordinary athletes in the entire NFL.  He is no freak and he is not on the freaks list either - like Allen. 

Compared to NFL QBs he is small, slow and light.  You say he weighs 221?  I call bullsh*t.  He weighs 200.  Maybe 210.  His arms measure 30 5/8" straight from the guide.  That is not freak.  That is me.   He can run a 4.6 40.  That is not good, much less elite.  I was faster as a young man (I clocked a 5.0 50 yard dash in 1979).  You are literally making things up.

Zach does one thing well.  He has a wonderful arm with a quick release.  I have seen him chuck through the closing window.  He is not without talent.  But a freak?   Not true.  Not close to true.  He lacks a single athletic metric to which he can be compared favorably to other NFL athletes.  He has no dominating three cone drill.  C'mon.

• Upvote 4

Just now, batman10023 said:

i'll see him sunday and hopefully our defense gets to him.

you might not have drafted him second - but Douglas who is paid to make these decisions thought it was the best idea.  to think that he and Salah are going to throw away their reputation (and 3 years of their lives) to draft someone they don't want?  please.  all to make Woody Johnson happy?  remember, your view is that Woody's a cheap bastard, so how exactly did he convince Douglas and Salah to throw away their careers?  

Free bandaids?

of course fans don't move the needle, even though they give me 500 reward points every time there is a Delay of Game penalty on the opposing team.

you posting doesn't seem to like the Jets winning, seems like it's pretty negative.

If we're going to talk about it most franchise QB decisions come from ownership

the way it went down no one had Zach in the top 10 of any mock draft in December. In January he's going 2 because everyone knew he was going 2. 

Ownership has to sign off on FQB decisions. I don't know how exactly maybe sponsorship had nothing to do with it but at some point around new years 2021 the Jets as a group decided Zach was worth this high pick and the mock drafts reflected that leak 

I didn't like the decision making process at the time but that's all in the past 

in the present he should be better than Bailey Zappe, no? There's no need to invest 2 overall draft capital for a guy who's playing worse than Davis Mills 

Bottom line is Zach has to step up.  He has to show he can be a competent NFL QB.  The Jets have been winning with a near elite defense and a solid running game.  With Hall out, I'm sure Wilson will be forced to throw more.  He has to get the ball out quicker, needs to be more accurate, and quit with the nonsense plays.  That's alot to ask.  But if he's going to be the guy, now is the time to prove it.

No doubt Josh Allen is a bigger and stronger athlete, but to say that Zach Wilson is a "below average athlete" is moronic. He's a freak athlete and by no means is "small"

• Avg starting QB: 6'2 3/4", 220.7 lb.
  • Zach WIlson: 6'2 1/8", 221 lb. 

Criticize Zach Wilson for his play, criticize him for having a baby face, but the Zach Wilson hate by some on this board borders on the line of insanity lol. I get that fans get emotional with their opinions/perspectives, but the amount of guys on here literally making up alternative realities to support their own opinions has reached a mindboggling level

I disagree with @bitonti about Wilson being a below average athlete for a QB, I think he's a good athlete. That being said, your statement that Wilson is a "freak athlete" is just as hyperbolic as Bits. What basis do you have to describe Wilson as a freak athlete? He didn't do any testing at his pro day or at the combine. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, football guy said:

The big thing people in the building have stressed dating back to when they drafted him was that like Josh Allen, Zach's jump from BYU to NFL is a bigger leap, so the speed of the game would take longer for him to adjust to then someone else coming out of the SEC or BIG10 or PAC12 etc. Since day 1 the people who work in the NFL with the Jets/Giants and others have said year 3-4 is when you can really expect Zach to take off. 

Right now he's a product of the offense they are running. It's a balanced offensive game plan by design. They lean slightly more pass when tied or playing from behind, lean more run when playing with a lead. It's not a situation where they are afraid of letting him throw 50 times a game; if they need to they will. What I want to see is more consistency throughout the entire game. 

Thank you...

The Jets told the fan base the Jets rebuild would be 3 years! 

That is why for the first time in my life of 50-plus years of being a Jets fan, that I bought season tickets that I cannot use because of my religious commitments and let my brother go to the games because I wanted to be locked in FOR NEXT YEAR!

I heard what they said, THREE YEARS, and us wanting it to be two doesn't change that time frame!

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If we're going to talk about it most franchise QB decisions come from ownership

the way it went down no one had Zach in the top 10 of any mock draft in December. In January he's going 2 because everyone knew he was going 2. 

Ownership has to sign off on FQB decisions. I don't know how exactly maybe sponsorship had nothing to do with it but at some point around new years 2021 the Jets as a group decided Zach was worth this high pick and the mock drafts reflected that leak 

I didn't like the decision making process at the time but that's all in the past 

in the present he should be better than Bailey Zappe, no? There's no need to invest 2 overall draft capital for a guy who's playing worse than Davis Mills 

Did Zach pay off all the scouts and tv networks with Jet Blue stock to say he was the consensus #2 QB too? Or just Woody? Also, what type of tin foil do you make your hats with? Heard Reynolds Wrap holds up well these days 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah so you've done this?

I can buy the expert take that the stats aren't telling the whole story and he's better than year 1, maybe having made a couple tier jumps at the position.  But night and day?  Come the f**k on.

Hey lets see what Kurt Warner has to say......

Maybe he knows something about the NFL.........

curious.gif

AND THEN.......

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hey lets see what Kurt Warner has to say......

Maybe he knows something about the NFL.........

curious.gif

AND THEN.......

We JUST went through this same old sh*t with Darnold, dude.  People telling us how the young QB is secretly making significant strides even if it doesn't show up in the actual productivity. 

Experts/analysts don't have a f**king clue, regardless of how much they've played the game, watched the game, coached the game, etc etc.  

Produce or GTFO, Zach.  Only that will demonstrate a "night and day" difference that clearly hasn't happened to date.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We JUST went through this same old sh*t with Darnold, dude.  People telling us how the young QB is secretly making significant strides even if it doesn't show up in the actual productivity. 

Experts/analysts don't have a f**king clue, regardless of how much they've played the game, watched the game, coached the game, etc etc.  

Produce or GTFO, Zach.  Only that will demonstrate a "night and day" difference that clearly hasn't happened to date.

I hear you, trust me I DO!!

Indeed if this rebuild doesn't work I will step back some so I know what you are saying...

But at the end of the day we are just fans and if the Jets Brass are wrong well it's back to doing this on Sunday evenings....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Not at all. The main reason why he is here is because of his ability to throw downfield on the run and for his playmaking ability outside of structure. But as I've said no less than 100 times now, game plan, game script, and opponent will dictate how aggressive the team is with him in the short-term. If all goes according to plan, he'll be used the way LaFleur uses Rodgers long-term

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-2021-starting-qbs-deep-passing-performance-arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray

Wilson was the 29th ranked deep passer last season

• Upvote 1

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I hear you, trust me I DO!!

Indeed this rebuild doesn't work I will step back some so I know what you are saying...

But at the end of the day we are just fans and if the Jets Brass are wrong well it's back to doing this on Sunday evenings....

giphy.gif

Evaluating QBs is really hard.  At least Douglas has made the rest of the roster into a monster, in a good way.  He shouldn't be let go over whiffing on Wilson, if that's what you're suggesting.

Add new QB(s) into the QB room in 2023 and keep trying.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

in my neck of the woods i don't see that many 23 year old blonde haired UPS drivers.

the poster you are discussing with believes ZW was drafted by Woody due to his uncle starting JetBlue several decades ago  (nevermind he's left way before ZW was drafted).  

that being said, ZW is going to have to do a much better job putting up better performances otherwise i am happy to bring in a real Vet to replace him next year.

Have you ever watched 90s porn?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

The answer to this is that the Jets believe Zach has the natural talent, understanding, and ability to be an accurate rhythmic passer. Whether they're right or wrong is TBD, but they think he will continue to improve in those areas with more reps and more understanding of the offense... so if you ask a coach to analyze some of these throws, I think they would tell you its more mentally being late than just not having the ability to be accurate (see Sanchez or Tim Tebow). This was the same problem Josh Allen had, but he overcame it because despite his poor collegian and early career completion percentage, he did possess a naturally accurate arm. 

Long-term they want a world beater at QB, just like every team does. They think Zach is capable of beating defenses a variety of ways as long as his development keeps going as planned. They think he has the talent, temperament, and ability to be one of those top 5/top 10 guys. Their short-term development points with him: (1) play within the offense; (2) trust the pocket and don't look to bail prematurely; (3) don't try to be superman all the time; (4) limit turnovers; (5) take what the defense gives you. So far he's doing exactly what they're asking of him. The stat that's glaring is how Zach has played in a clean pocket vs. under pressure. Clearly he's playing poorly under pressure, but the coaches would probably tell you they're still encouraged is because he's learning to play within the pocket. He's not bailing prematurely, he doesn't have happy feet, he's stepping up in the face of pressure and is showing no signs of it effecting him. The more he gets used to playing within structure, the better he will get at it. Whether they are right or wrong is anyone's guess.

I'm just like any other Jets fan. Emotionally I want to see him throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs every week, but at the end of the day I'm able to reason and logically evaluate what's going on, ask the right questions, and look at things a little more outside of my own perspective to see things the way those inside the building see them. I think this is a very methodical group with a plan, and if this group believes they're developing him the right way AND they're winning games AND they continue to stack the roster with talent around the QB I have no reason to believe they won't get the most out of him. Can't say that for former Jets administrations/coaching staffs

Assuming this is all true (and I'm skeptical), then the organization was a collection of fools for selecting such a huge project at number 2 overall. Additionally, weren't you the one telling us all prior to the draft that the organization loved Wilson because he was such a custom fit for the offensive scheme? If he was such a custom fit, why is it taking so long to see results from him?

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

That’s interesting.

ZW needs to improve but running the offense without any turnovers against a top defense for the win is a positive. Other better QBs threw more against that Broncos D but didn’t score more than the 16 the Jets put up, and they all turned the ball over.

Garappolo went 18-29, 211 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT; lost & scored only 10 points.

Herbert went 37-57, 238 YDS, 0 TD, 1 INT; won in OT & scored only 16 in regulation.

Matt Ryan went 26-41, 251 YDS, 0 TD; 2 INT; won & scored only 9 in regulation.