Why is Zach so inaccurate? Can it be fixed?

Good defenses are tough on developing QB’s.  

Just have to hope ZW develops and gets better week by week. It’s not going to be an overnight thing.

I’m hoping to see marked improvement after the bye week. Strong finish to the second half of the season for Zach is my expectation and hopefully a good showing in the playoffs.

remember we all thought this schedule was like going through a defensive meat grinder? That’s still held true. 

1 minute ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Good defenses are tough on developing QB’s.  

Just have to hope ZW develops and gets better week by week. It’s not going to be an overnight thing.

I’m hoping to see marked improvement after the bye week. Strong finish to the second half of the season for Zach is my expectation and hopefully a good showing in the playoffs.

remember we all thought this schedule was like going through a defensive meat grinder? That’s still held true. 

I think Zach would have benefited a great deal from a full pre season.

• Upvote 1

His mechanics are really bad and have been for a while and I dont know if he's being coached on it or what but it starts from the drop back, to the footwork in the pocket, to the bailing, to the squaring up your target, it's just a mess and he relies waaaayyy to much on arm strength and I dont think it's actually very strong.  It comes out hot and quick but it's not really one of those balls that just stays on a rope, so it all creates the issue from the moment the ball is snapped.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I've posted this three times and I'll repeat it here.

Zach is inaccurate because he is being allowed to make off platform play his primary mo.  He leaving the pocket WAY to early and throwing off his back foot at least 50% of the time.   

The coaching staff has done nothing to establish firm fundamentals in his game regarding drop backs and time of release. They are asking him to 'Just be Zach' without first being a rock solid JAG in terms of these two aspect of his game.  He should not be leaving the pocket this often ... even if the line breaks down. He should look for the open man if he sees none chuck it away or dump it off.  The mobile escapability stuff is a great trait to possess, but it should be his last resort tool. 

When throwing from a solid platform he is extremely accurate.  The idea that you need to roll him out to allow him to play his game is laughable. 

His regression is all on the coaching staff and they need to wake up.

Tell him to pay attention to his drops and timing - and yank him early each game he ignores this. 

LaFleur has to do a better job calling plays that get the offense in rhythm.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Who knows

I don't have the all 22 so I can't see if there are guys open that he is just not throwing to. 

my biggest concerns

1) Throwing the ball 100 mph when it is not needed.

2) when he needs to throw the ball out of bounds he barely lobs it OB. One of these days he is going to get picked doing that.

3) If you are going to run, then run. don't twirl left, twirl left again, twirl right and then throw. 

It is going to be a tough test Sunday. Hoping things get better

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Instead of he sucks, this might be a more fruitful discussion. 

The vast majority of us can agree the guy is inaccurate and it is hurting the offense.

1. Footwork?

2. Early game jitters?

3. Case of the Yips?  I mean some of these are easy throws … 

4. Being coached to play scared/tight

Wtf is going on?

Got stuff like this happening

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Zach is inaccurate because he is being allowed to make off platform play his primary mo.  He leaving the pocket WAY to early and throwing off his back foot at least 50% of the time.   

The coaching staff has done nothing to establish firm fundamentals in his game regarding drop backs and time of release. They are asking him to 'Just be Zach' without first being a rock solid JAG in terms of these two aspect of his game.  He should not be leaving the pocket this often ... even if the line breaks down. He should look for the open man if he sees none chuck it away or dump it off.  The mobile escapability stuff is a great trait to possess, but it should be his last resort tool. 

When throwing form a solid platform he is extremely accurate.  The idea that you need to roll him out to allow him to play his game is laughable. 

Tell him to pay attention to his drops and timing - and yank him early each game he ignores this. 

I'd be pretty surprised if he was being instructed to unnecessarily bail out of the pocket and throw without setting his feet. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

I'd be pretty surprised if he was being instructed to unnecessarily bail out of the pocket and throw without setting his feet. 

I wouldn't .. because i have heard right from the horses mouth ... we got let Zach be Zach ... this kid has to learn to pro game first.

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

His mechanics are really bad and have been for a while and I dont know if he's being coached on it or what but it starts from the drop back, to the footwork in the pocket, to the bailing, to the squaring up your target, it's just a mess and he relies waaaayyy to much on arm strength and I dont think it's actually very strong.  It comes out hot and quick but it's not really one of those balls that just stays on a rope, so it all creates the issue from the moment the ball is snapped.

Could not agree more.  (except i do think he has an exceptional arm) .... mechanics are atrocious and that lies squarely at the feel of Mike LaFleur and the QB Coach.

Just now, Dunnie said:

I wouldn't .. because i have heard right from the horses mouth ... we got let Zach be Zach ... this kid has to learn to pro game first.

Right but I'm just skeptical that the coaching staff is literally telling him "go ahead run backwards when pressured, that's actually good". 

4 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

Right but I'm just skeptical that the coaching staff is literally telling him "go ahead run backwards when pressured, that's actually good". 

I agree with you there .. no one has to tell a puppy to eat your shoes, but he gonna do it anyway.

21 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

It’s the offensive line and the receivers fault huh? You forgot to throw LaFleur under the bus. Edit your post and make that bullet point 3. 

Lafleur didn't help yesterday.  He called a bad game.  Make no mistake,  Zach missed throws. But IMO he was not given much support either.  He avoided a lot of sacks and didn't turn the ball over.  #Progress

• Upvote 1

This game he was definitely more inaccurate than past 3 but I don't want to over react. He was one the road, first time in mile high, in extremely windy and rainy conditions. 

People want to talk about mechanics, feet, technical points, etc. To me, it doesn't matter if you are shot putting the ball to guys, as long as it gets there accurately. He seemed to be pretty accurate in college so that just leads me to believe his issues are still mental.

38 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

If he set his feet, he’d prob complete 50% more passes just doing that. 

Lefluer needs to help him and this offense more. You can’t run for 2 yards on 1st down and then throw a WR screen for no gain. 

Also get John Beck back in here. These Jets coaches are doing nothing. 

Quick slants... The basis of wco... Where are they? Lafluer is trying too hard. 

3 step drops... Every drop back is 7 steps... Too long

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Could not agree more.  (except i do think he has an exceptional arm) .... mechanics are atrocious and that lies squarely at the feel of Mike LaFleur and the QB Coach.

I worded that poorly.  It's a strong arm not sure about exceptional.  Idk, more like he has a rifle but plays like he has a bazooka. 

30 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

When throwing from a solid platform he is extremely accurate.  The idea that you need to roll him out to allow him to play his game is laughable. 

agree on his needing to set his feet more and not try to throw off balance.  i don't think the oline pass blocks very well.  most likely this is because of how many players have been rotated in and out due to injuries.  one thing that will help is connecting on a few deep plays.  that'll help defuse the pass rush.  but to do that he needs time and plays that get a deep guy open.

53 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lefluer needs to help him and this offense more. You can’t run for 2 yards on 1st down and then throw a WR screen for no gain. 

Everyone knows we are going to run, and it would help Wilson with Play Action a few times a game.

Then the throw will be on Zach to complete.  

57 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

All excellent points.

Also, when he sets those feet, plants and throws, which is rare unfortunately, it looks like a ball Marino threw.  Lots and lots of talent this kid has, be a shame if it never comes to be.

• Upvote 1