Schefter: Laremy Tunsil and Jack Conklin potential trade targets for Jets

Rhg1084

Tunsil makes sense as Texans aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Surprised Browns are willing to flip Conklin after signing him as a FA not too long ago and weakens the OLine   for Watson’s return. 

JD feels the fan pressure to at least have a winning season, he’s going for it but our cap situation may need some altering to trade for these big ticket OLine trades 

• WTF? 2

So tunsil is a good player on an expiring deal whose team is rebuilding - totally understand all that.  However our LT is playing well and we have 2 potential RTs coming back from injury (although it doesnt seem like fant is close).  Could it be more of a swap of Fant for Tunsil and Fant can play the last 6-7 games for Houston when he is healthy vs us getting tunsil back for the upcoming stretch?

Conklin makes sense for the Jets, but why exactly would the browns be sellers?

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Tunsil makes sense as Texans aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Surprised Browns are willing to flip Conklin after signing him as a FA not too long ago and weakens the OLine   for Watson’s return. 

If I am readng Over The Cap correctly, it looks like Tunsil is only making a $1.035M base salary.  I believe that is all we would take on as acquiring team, pro-rated for remainder of year.  So just over $500K.  He has $18M base for next season, but that is not guaranteed.  But has Tunsil ever player RT.  

• Upvote 3

How can they trade Tunsil?  Doesn't he have a ton in bonus money?  I guess he is due a big nut next year, so they will eat it not to pay that?  They are already carrying two (probably 3 if you count Becton) guys that consider themselves LT only.  Conklin makes more sense since he plays the right, and is cheap.  He took a pay cut to have his salary guaranteed this year, but I bet he is looking for a new deal wherever he ends up.

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So tunsil is a good player on an expiring deal whose team is rebuilding - totally understand all that.  However our LT is playing well and we have 2 potential RTs coming back from injury (although it doesnt seem like fant is close).  Could it be more of a swap of Fant for Tunsil and Fant can play the last 6-7 games for Houston when he is healthy vs us getting tunsil back for the upcoming stretch?

I read this as more of concern over Mitchell and Fant's return from injury.  Fant is eligible to come off IR this week and Mitchell next, but maybe they are not progressing as well as we had hoped  Otherwise why give up an asset, unless it is a player.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

If I am readng Over The Cap correctly, it looks like Tunsil is only making a $1.035M base salary.  I believe that is all we would take on as acquiring team, pro-rated for remainder of year.  So just over $500K.  He has $18M base for next season, but that is not guaranteed.  But has Tunsil ever player RT.  

It doesn't  matter. He will while he is here. 

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Elijah Moore is going to be traded. 

Corey Davis has a history of missing games with nagging lower body injuries. If you trade Moore you are basically running G Wilson and…….. lol.  Jeff smith?!?  Since they can’t figure out how to put Mims onto routes he can successfully run 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Because Conklin’s contract is up at the end of the year and by the time Watson gets in there this season, their playoff hopes will be a distant memory. Trading him gives them an asset to spent in 2023 (instead of the potential comp pick in 2024) to build around Watson next year. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

IMO, this has nothing to do with rebuilding unless you are talking about the OL itself. From the day Becton went down and Fant came into camp missing practices, the OL has been in disarray.  Now that AVT has gone down, it is possibly one of the worst in the league again. These moves are not for quick fixes, the players mentioned here are going to be long term fixtures on the Jets if they are acquired. 

I’d argue that we had a real need before Becton went down. Anyone who was relying on him playing, especially most of the season, was foolish. We’ve had more than our share of OL bad luck, but this is one area I can fault JD.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

If I am readng Over The Cap correctly, it looks like Tunsil is only making a $1.035M base salary.  I believe that is all we would take on as acquiring team, pro-rated for remainder of year.  So jus tover $599K.  He has $18M base for next season, but that is not guaranteed.  But has Tunsil ever player RT.  

Plus there’d be no rush to make a decision on 2023 until after the draft, and even after seeing some camp results of any draft pick’s play. Even if kept, they may feel it’s better to go into ‘23 with an $18MM 29yr old Tunsil than a $10MM 38 yr old D.Brown.

The thing with Tunsil, though, is he’s not getting acquired for some conditional day 3 pick or a benched CB. He’d cost the team’s 1st next year, give or take, especially seeing how it looks like it won’t be another typical Jets’ top 10 pick. It wasn’t too long ago Tunsil cost two 1sts, and that was without 1.5 below-market contract seasons remaining. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Stark said:

Corey Davis has a history of missing games with nagging lower body injuries. If you trade Moore you are basically running Gal Wilson and…….. lol.  Jeff smith?!?  Since they can’t figure out how to put Mims onto routes he can successfully run 

They’re not trading moore.  That would only increase the need to sign a wr in fa or draft one again.  Plus they’re still trying to develop the qb. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

Corey Davis has a history of missing games with nagging lower body injuries. If you trade Moore you are basically running Gal Wilson and…….. lol.  Jeff smith?!?  Since they can’t figure out how to put Mims onto routes he can successfully run 

Moore has a history of missing games.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Tunsil Would be put a end to Fant extension and a end to becton.

Nah, neither of these things tbh:

1. The idea of a Fant extension had already ended. If they were going to do it, it'd have been done by now. Loads of opportunity, with a player who badly - and publicly - wanted it done.

2. Becton is under a fully-guaranteed contract for next year. He's not getting cut unless he gets beat out by whatever McDermott-type camp fodder is signed as an extreme emergency starter. The only way to cut Becton early otherwise is if he gets arrested or otherwise violates his contract. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

DE- Bryce Huff WR-Elijah Moore (over Mims because I agree with Bruce Harper Mims has zer0 trade value) CB Bryce Hall  and maybe one of the TE's (Yeboa, Ruckert?) are 5 players I think are expendable and could be used as trade bait

Don’t see Bryce or Moore as expendable at all. Like, not even a little bit.