Schefter: Laremy Tunsil and Jack Conklin potential trade targets for Jets

Rhg1084

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How can they trade Tunsil?  Doesn't he have a ton in bonus money?  I guess he is due a big nut next year, so they will eat it not to pay that?  They are already carrying two (probably 3 if you count Becton) guys that consider themselves LT only.  Conklin makes more sense since he plays the right, and is cheap.  He took a pay cut to have his salary guaranteed this year, but I bet he is looking for a new deal wherever he ends up.

They'd do it and absorb the hit because, with just 1 season remaining, tbh it hits whether he's there or not. His cap hit for Houston next year is like $35MM. He's not due any new bonus next year. Just a salary. If traded, they don't pay the salary so his hit is just under half that $35MM, plus they'd get a draft pick to use to replace him. So Houston pretty much has to trade him or extend him.

But he won't be cheap. He's a premium player at a premium position, still on the right side of 30 for the rest of this year and all of next year, plus whatever extension years a new team decides to add.

If he can be had for less than a 1st I'd be pretty shocked, but if that's at all possible we certainly have the right GM to make that happen. 

Tunsil would be interesting since I believe he’s just an LT - a very good one, but Duane Brown is playing. Conklin could slide right in at RT pretty easily, but what about Fant and Mitchell? I guess that would be the end for Fant and Mitchell would become our swing tackle

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Don’t see Bryce or Moore as expendable at all. Like, not even a little bit. 

The problem with moving Moore is it has other effects, like showing other players that if you make a big enough stink to get traded, you'll get your wish even while you're on a team-friendly deal. It's a pretty bad precedent to set. 

Otherwise technically this team has the WR depth this year to do it (concern over it getting thin in a hurry, like last year, notwithstanding). Using Moore - if not Moore and Bryce - is probably the only way they can get a cheap-salary Tunsil without giving up a 1st round pick. 

It'll be interesting to see what JD does in any case. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The problem with moving Moore is it has other effects, like showing other players that if you make a big enough stink to get traded, you'll get your wish even while you're on a team-friendly deal. It's a pretty bad precedent to set. 

That’s the big one for me, I don’t see JD eager to set that precedent. Now if Moore decides to be a complete malcontent the opposite could be true; they could say if you aren’t going to be a part of this team then you won’t be. But right now it looks as if the week off has cooled Moore off a little bit. And with Davis hurt and Breece out, he should expect his production to pick up. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

That’s the big one for me, I don’t see JD eager to set that precedent. Now if Moore decides to be a complete malcontent the opposite could be true; they could say if you aren’t going to be a part of this team then you won’t be. But right now it looks as if the week off has cooled Moore off a little bit. And with Davis hurt and Breece out, he should expect his production to pick up. 

I think they’re going to use moore going forward.  I just think they gave him a time out to send a message to the team that they won’t tolerate public outbursts.  They’re not going to give up a prime wr asset while they’re in the playoff hunt and trying to develop a qb.  

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How can they trade Tunsil?  Doesn't he have a ton in bonus money?  I guess he is due a big nut next year, so they will eat it not to pay that?  They are already carrying two (probably 3 if you count Becton) guys that consider themselves LT only.  Conklin makes more sense since he plays the right, and is cheap.  He took a pay cut to have his salary guaranteed this year, but I bet he is looking for a new deal wherever he ends up.

They don't lose anything this year and save $18 million next year.  

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Sure, but at what price?

The key question in my opinion.

The trade for the RB Robinson, I hear, will likely actually be a 5th.  I can stomach that.

I wouldn't want to trade much more value than that for an O-lineman right now.  A 6th and/or 7th, sure.  Nothing higher.  And I 100% absolutely do NOT trade Moore.  

For me the question is this:  Are we in "win it all now, buy till we win it all" mode.  I do not believe we are, not even close honestly.  The lack of quality QB production/play alone will severely limit how far this team can progress in the regular season, much less the postseason against the elite of the AFC.  We're not on par with KC or Buffalo.  We're not a Super Bowl contender today.

As such, I still believe in "build by the draft" and select FA's in the offseason.  Win as much as we can this year, sure, but don't start trading the future for an only slightly better present.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If true, then the following:

- Becton is done here

- Fant’s injury is carry-over from last season, they may not think he regains form, so he is probably done here

- They are going to give Max Mitchell space to develop

- They are pushing their chips in on winning this season, rather than shrugging and saying, “oh well”

- Thery have no interest in the OL being an excuse for Zach, they’ve given him everything they can … his turn now

Becton is under contract next season. He’s close to done, but he’s gonna get another opportunity next year. Fant is already done. He’s been overrated by a lot of fans. He’s a natural LT, which he’s decent at, but he’s a below average RT who just doesn’t get push in the running game. 

The rest I agree with. 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

The key question in my opinion.

The trade for the RB is likely a 5th.  I can stomach that.

I wouldn't want to trade much more value than that for an O-lineman right now.  A 6th and/or 7th, sure.  Nothing higher.

For me the question is this:  Are we in "win it all now, buy till we win it all" mode.  I do not believe we are, not even close honestly.  The lack of quality QB production/play alone will severely limit how far this team can progress in the regular season, much less the postseason against the elite of the AFC.  We're not on par with KC or Buffalo.  We're not a Super Bowl contender today.

As such, I still believe in "build by the draft" and select FA's in the offseason.  Win as much as we can this year, sure, but don't start trading the future for an only slightly better present.

The problem there is you're most likely going to spend a first next draft on a LT. If you do that, he's a complete unknown and, at best, you'd have to deal with his growing pains for at least a year. I'm not sure the jets want to do that to zach. Our issue every year is we go into training camp with the oline hurt. We have to wait until week 1 for them to get healthy and week 6 for them to gel, that's if nobody gets hurt again. I think a trade for a guy like tunsil would solve several issues. It would solidify the line heading into next year as you would have no questions at LT with tunsil and brown. It would make Becton your backup RT behind mitchell. You can let fant walk easy. All you need to focus on is finding a center. 

• Upvote 2

From what it looked like and with the way that his knee was no longer looking like a regular human's leg is "supposed" to look, Mekhi Becton doesn't look like he will be able to be relied upon to come back and be a starter next year.  The Jets are needing not just a band aid quick fix, to address the devastating loss of our best offensive lineman, but they need this hoped-for O-Lineman deal to also be able to act as a long term solution. Laremy Tunsil is still only 28, and if this guy CAN be had by using a 3rd or 4th (or both) round draft pick and a player like Elijah Moore, Denzel Mims or one of the Bryces Huff or Hall to get him, (because that's what it's going to take to acquire a 2-time Pro Bowl-er who is still one of the top ten rated Tackles in the game) then YOU DO IT! Joe Douglas has shown himself to be really good in making these kinds of deals. 

Come on Joe, get this one done!

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If true, then the following:

YES- Becton is done here

YES- Fant’s injury is carry-over from last season, they may not think he regains form, so he is probably done here

YES- They are going to give Max Mitchell space to develop

YES- They are pushing their chips in on winning this season, rather than shrugging and saying, “oh well”

No idea- Thery have no interest in the OL being an excuse for Zach, they’ve given him everything they can … his turn now

Good stuff I-28

• Upvote 1

There’s plenty of youth on this team now. Brown has been solid but he’s not a long-term fixture here by any means. The players mentioned above would obviously help this year but they would also be longer-term fixes. And they are both damn good lineman so I wouldn’t mind giving up something of significance. 

As was said earlier, Tunsil has NO guaranteed money next year.  His cap hit this year is almost nothing.  HOU would eat some cap but they have to spend it on him anyway so if they are truly in the "Lose Proud for Stroud" mode, it makes sense for them to move him. 

As to what he would cost, that's the rub.  Now HOU is a little light in the WR department so if Davis is okay, and Mims looks like he can play the #5 role, we could conceivably include Moore in a trade.  Yes, I agree, it's a bad look on the one hand, but on the other, if we get back a stud LT in the deal, it makes perfect sense.  And it's not like Moore is going to be feasting on stats down there with Mills starting and a guy named Charlie Heck protecting his blind side.    

Now the real issue is, Tunsil is a rental.  He's actually under a reasonable contract next year ($18.5M) but I doubt he'd be playing without an extension.  If we are looking to keep him and extend him, then Becton is absolutely movable as well.  Moore + Becton + 2nd rounder?  I wouldn't hate that if JD did something like that.  Remember, it's not a top-of-the-round pick anymore.

Having said all that, I don't know what you do with Brown and Tunsil together.  Which makes the whole thing suspect.

18 minutes ago, hawk said:

They don't lose anything this year and save $18 million next year.  

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They'd do it and absorb the hit because, with just 1 season remaining, tbh it hits whether he's there or not. His cap hit for Houston next year is like $35MM. He's not due any new bonus next year. Just a salary. If traded, they don't pay the salary so his hit is just under half that $35MM, plus they'd get a draft pick to use to replace him. So Houston pretty much has to trade him or extend him.

But he won't be cheap. He's a premium player at a premium position, still on the right side of 30 for the rest of this year and all of next year, plus whatever extension years a new team decides to add.

If he can be had for less than a 1st I'd be pretty shocked, but if that's at all possible we certainly have the right GM to make that happen. 

Yeah.  I guess the Texans would be willing to eat next year's $16M in bonus to get out from under the $18M in salary.  They are both super interesting, but you have to wonder if they'd both want new deals.  Conklin is a FA for 2023 and Tunsil is not likely to see that deal.  Brown already refused to move for Fant/Becton.  It would be interesting to see if he'd move for Tunsil.  Of course, he also could just go and get his shoulder surgery.  Not sure what it would take, but certainly guys to kick the tires on.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

IMO, this has nothing to do with rebuilding unless you are talking about the OL itself. From the day Becton went down and Fant came into camp missing practices, the OL has been in disarray.  Now that AVT has gone down, it is possibly one of the worst in the league again. These moves are not for quick fixes, the players mentioned here are going to be long term fixtures on the Jets if they are acquired. 

I love the idea of acquiring OL but it sounds like Tunsil is on a short-term contract and due big money soon.  Those are the types of guys I would imagine are available at the deadline.  Not sure what our cap situation is next year but I assume JD has a road map of who he sees being long-term pieces (e.g. AVT).  

16 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

The problem there is you're most likely going to spend a first next draft on a LT. If you do that, he's a complete unknown and, at best, you'd have to deal with his growing pains for at least a year.

I would not agree with this.  A 1st round OL pick is close to a sure thing.  If you pick the right guy.  JD didn't with Becton, and many of us knew it at the time.  A 1st round OL should also be a cornerstone for a decade.  They're not a short-term high-price half-season rental.

I'm not sure the jets want to do that to zach.

I don't see it as "doing something to Zach".  

Our issue every year is we go into training camp with the oline hurt. We have to wait until week 1 for them to get healthy and week 6 for them to gel, that's if nobody gets hurt again. I think a trade for a guy like tunsil would solve several issues. It would solidify the line heading into next year as you would have no questions at LT with tunsil and brown. It would make Becton your backup RT behind mitchell. You can let fant walk easy. All you need to focus on is finding a center. 

The Jets are one of the most fragile teams in the NFL.  I see no reason to think a player coming here for elsewhere, into our system, our training, our facility, would be any less prone to injury that everyone else on our team.  Tunsil might have been durable in his past, missing 6 games his first 5 seasons, but he only played 5 games in 2021.  He's older, and his injury risk is higher now.  Bring him here, where everyone seems to get hurt, and who knows how reliable he'll be.

So again, I'm fine with a trade.  Just not for a top-end asset like a Round 1-3 pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don’t think he’s feeling pressure. I think the team is winning a year ahead of schedule, and they see an opportunity to get this young roster into the postseason. That would be a major confidence builder and learning experience for everyone. 

Tunsil is under contract for 2023, Conklin isn’t. That’s a major difference, but would also probably be a difference in what they’d cost in terms of draft picks. By trading for an OT now, they not only improve this year’s team, but they solidify the OL going into next season, too (worst case, they could tag Conklin). All of a sudden, that need to draft an OL in the first or second round that so many fans are feeling right now would evaporate with Brown and either of these guys both here next year along with Mitchell and, yes, Becton. It would be a practical move, not one out of desperation. 

100% agree. The team is 5-2 after going through the roughest part of the schedule. Going 5-5 or 6-4 the rest of the way is not a possibility but a probability if the team continues like they have been going and/or the QB doesn't implode.

When you have a chance to win now, you try to win now. Trading some mid round picks at this point in the rebuild is NOT mortgaging the future.

• Upvote 1

Im not sure this team needs to be major buyers right now.  I still think we are a year away especially with losing our 2 best offensive players.

I trust in Joe but I hope he doesnt start throwing around 3 or 4th round picks for rentals.

We are building this for the next 10 years.  And honestly, we have no clue if we have the qb to beat any good teams in the playoffs.  it would be a shame to trade a bunch of picks only to get bounced in the playoffs becasue our qb is still playing the way he is.

• Thumb Down 2

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  I guess the Texans would be willing to eat next year's $16M in bonus to get out from under the $18M in salary.  They are both super interesting, but you have to wonder if they'd both want new deals.  Conklin is a FA for 2023 and Tunsil is not likely to see that deal.  Brown already refused to move for Fant/Becton.  It would be interesting to see if he'd move for Tunsil.  Of course, he also could just go and get his shoulder surgery.  Not sure what it would take, but certainly guys to kick the tires on.

The important factor is the $16 million is already spent / paid.  The $18 million is new money, not spent / paid.

4 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

If just draft picks…. Any speculation as to the cost of either of these guys? 

so far Tunsil has cost teams 4 first rounders 2 second rounders and 1 3rd round pick-so far...If we can get Becton's replacement and long-term solution for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick I take it and run like a thief in the night

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Right, but mathematically they have to eat it no matter what. Even an extension doesn't get them out of it nor does that even spread it out. The only thing they can spread out is new money (e.g. his scheduled 2023 salary). 

What they might want/need are players more than draft picks, though. Or anyway, they may prefer 2+ picks to come in 2024 rather than 1 pick in 2023 since they already have a zillion draft picks in 2023. They already have their own (about to be pretty high) 1st rounder, plus Cleveland's 1st & 3rd. They're gearing up - or rather, they have geared up - for a Joe Douglas type rebuild: get what you can while you can for your high-value veteran(s) and turn them into cheap, high draft picks while the team is also earning high draft picks in its own right. 

As things stand today, Houston owns 2 of the top 4 draft picks (however that may or may not change with a lot of football left to play). They also have their own high 2nd & 3rd round picks, plus Cleveland's (currently high) 3rd round pick. So, 2 of the top 4 prospects, 3 of the top 35, and 5 of the top 65. That's on top of 4th, 5th, and four 6th rounders. At some point there are too many rookies at once. The benefit of mid & later round picks, while they fail at a much higher rate, is there's no GM pressure to put them on the field as rookies; hope aside, people more or less expect them to be backups in years 1-2.

It's all just talk, though. He may yet value Conklin more because the draft pick cost will be so much lower. It won't be nothing either, because Cleveland knows they're already giving up around a 4th round comp pick in 2024, as that'd pass to the team acquiring him. The extra cap room is nice for them, though, with Watson's cap #s for each of the upcoming 4 seasons in excess of $50MM after that nutty contract restructure.

If, though, we were to trade and sign Tunsil immediately, that is probably the superior move. Doubt we find a tackle that good in the back-half (back-third, lets be realllllll) of the first.

But if we can't swing that? It should be ol Jack Conklin and the porkchop express for a day 2 pick - and letting him play without a deal in place.

Not letting Tunsil hold us hostage, is the point. 

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Conklin is the better rental.

The cost to acquire Tunsil means Joe will have no leverage in re-signing him. 

I'd prefer to keep the first rounder next year for a LT, and deal, a day two pick for Conklin.

If they make the move for Conklin, I think the move would be to extend him. At that point, they’d be looking at Brown, Conklin, Becton, and Mitchell at OT next season with AVT having proven he can play there as well. I think taking an OL early would then be largely off the table. 

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I love the idea of acquiring OL but it sounds like Tunsil is on a short-term contract and due big money soon.  Those are the types of guys I would imagine are available at the deadline.  Not sure what our cap situation is next year but I assume JD has a road map of who he sees being long-term pieces (e.g. AVT).  

I think we renegotiate  Tunsil. He is on the non-guaranteed part now. He is also pretty cheap this year from what Lith quoted from over the cap. 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Douglas doing his thing!

I honestly don't see this happening. Fant should be coming back soon and we have Mitchell slated to come back eventually. Both of these players will cost way too much as far as their contracts and compensation.

Conklin makes 8mil and is a FA next year. I can't imagine the Browns giving up anything less than a 2nd rounder for him. And that is only under the assumption that they are planning to let him walk. 

Tunsil is cheap. Something like a 1.3 mil this year. And he is signed through 23'. But his salary balloons to 18mil next year. So you would imagine if the Jets trade for him, it would be with the plan to extend/re-structure him next year. But again, Tunsil will cost the Jets at minimum a second round pick (probably more?). Is it worth it? I don't know. If he is plugged in at LT for the next 3-4 years I guess it is. But I just don't see this move being made right now.