Schefter: Laremy Tunsil and Jack Conklin potential trade targets for Jets

Rhg1084

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

I doubt a trade happens but Tunsil is an absolute stud. And would be the best OT we've had in a long time. Only 28. That's like 10 more years in OL years. 

Also his birthday is in the beginning of August so we're looking at a guy who can actually be a force to reckon with  until the 2030's!

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

I didn’t say anything like this. I just said what happens with a trade for tunsil. Why wouldnt you do it if u can he is one if the best in the game.

Fair enough, it is just with you mentioning what Becton would want in conjunction with multiple threads worrying about Moore's bunched panties I imagine George Young weeping.

I like Conklin more in the short-term, seeing as he's played right tackle, and that's the position that we actually need right now. Tunsil, AFAIK, has only been a LT, right? Will he be willing to play RT for this season? Will Brown be willing to slide over to RT? Brown seemingly wasn't willing to do that for Fant. Do we even extend Conklin going forward, when we have Max Mitchell who looks closer to starting than we previously assumed?

On the other hand, Tunsil makes more sense in the long-term, if the goal is to extend him. He is a clear upgrade at LT over anything we have now, and can solidify the position for several years. If that's the idea, and the plan is to either slide Brown over to RT for a week or two (or just grit our teeth with either Ogbuehi or Remmers) until either Fant or Mitchell get back, then it is probably the better move long-term, even if it doesn't completely solve our RT problem now. I have a feeling that's more in-line with JD's thinking.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Joe Douglas getting Conklin and finally admitting I was right in 2020. Much respect. 

These guys wont be cheap and I thought Tunsil had a big contract. My mate is a Texans fan and says he's their best player by some way.

I really wanted Conklin, too, at the time. IIRC I haven't followed him in Cleveland, though, to know if he's stayed healthy and played at a high level or not.

23 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I like Conklin more in the short-term, seeing as he's played right tackle, and that's the position that we actually need right now. Tunsil, AFAIK, has only been a LT, right? Will he be willing to play RT for this season? Will Brown be willing to slide over to RT? Brown seemingly wasn't willing to do that for Fant. Do we even extend Conklin going forward, when we have Max Mitchell who looks closer to starting than we previously assumed?

On the other hand, Tunsil makes more sense in the long-term, if the goal is to extend him. He is a clear upgrade at LT over anything we have now, and can solidify the position for several years. If that's the idea, and the plan is to either slide Brown over to RT for a week or two (or just grit our teeth with either Ogbuehi or Remmers) until either Fant or Mitchell get back, then it is probably the better move long-term, even if it doesn't completely solve our RT problem now. I have a feeling that's more in-line with JD's thinking.

Great questions.  Also, I see some wanting to include Becton in a trade.  Can that even be done since he's on the IL?

Here's a crazy thought....if JD decides to go after Tunsil....might he include Brown in the trade (assuming that Brown does not want to slide to RT)?  Brown would give Houston a stopgap for the rest of this season and next.  Of course, Houston would still want more, a young player and/or a pick or two, but that might soften what player or pick JD would include.  That doesn't address RT, though, unless JD figures some combination of Fant and Mitchell there.

I really hope the Jets are not counting on Mitchell to come right back into the starting lineup.  He was looking pretty shaky the game he got injured in.  Ideally, he needs to be OT4 the rest of this season, if possible....but I know the situation is far from ideal.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Great questions.  Also, I see some wanting to include Becton in a trade.  Can that even be done since he's on the IL?

Here's a crazy thought....if JD decides to go after Tunsil....might he include Brown in the trade (assuming that Brown does not want to slide to RT)?  Brown would give Houston a stopgap for the rest of this season and next.  Of course, Houston would still want more, a young player and/or a pick or two, but that might soften what player or pick JD would include.  That doesn't address RT, though, unless JD figures some combination of Fant and Mitchell there.

I really hope the Jets are not counting on Mitchell to come right back into the starting lineup.  He was looking pretty shaky the game he got injured in.  Ideally, he needs to be OT4 the rest of this season, if possible....but I know the situation is far from ideal.

I have no idea if Becton's IR status affects their ability to trade him. That's a question for @Sperm Edwards.

I also have no idea if he'd even have any trade value to another team. As a Jets fan, I'm a little biased, so while I, personally, wouldn't give up any assets to acquire Becton, it's possible other GM's may look at a 23 year old OT, former #11OA pick, with a massive frame and potential for physical dominance and think he just needs a new start with the right guidance. Personally, I've already written Becton off as done in NY. He's a swing tackle, at best, but I'd prefer if they could recoup something for him.

I wouldn't think Brown would have much value to the Browns either, at his age. He's not a building piece, and he'd likely only be a rental for them. Throwing him in with the trade package would merely be a "sweetener" or as a favor to Brown so that he can continue to play, if he wanted, and was unwilling to switch to RT.

Tbh, my memory of Mitchell's play is kinda hazy. I do remember he wasn't perfect, but looked very promising at times. It's possible they don't want him starting right away and want him to develop (like we all assumed he'd need) which would give Conklin more value as a 1-2 year stop gap at RT until Max is ready.

None of this matter though, as this thread was based merely off unsubstantiated Twitter rumors, apparently. That's what I get for trying to make serious posts, lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

According to PFT apparently the Texans are pretty desperate for WR help so they are bringing back a guy they drafted who is a free Agent Tyron Johnson-shoot man, dangle  an Elijah Moore in their receiver-starved faces and Douglas just may be able to steal one of the top-10 rated tackles in the game away from them without even having to lose a  2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounder for him. In Douglas we trust...lately anyway

Cooks and E Moore are similar in size. Woould you want both to be your primary WRs w/Nico Collins as the only big guy? 

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Fant gambled on himself jets wanted and tried to do it .. 

And i didnt say anything about cutting becton. But he would definitely be traded. Cause i doubt he would want to be backup or even stay at RT long term which is what would happen with Tunsil here.

sidenote has there been better source on this besides what this dude claims he heard?

How did Fant gamble on himself? By not holding out in his final contract year?

The gamble was by the Jets that they might find they badly needed him, and a year later signing the same player would be more expensive.

If someone makes a good offer for Becton, I've little doubt the Jets would listen at this point. But it's doubtful they'd get a decent offer until FA and draft periods are over, perhaps even later after a team loses one of its starting tackles and are stuck.

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Which one?

Lol, I was referring to Huff. Hall has been on the trade block all year. Since Huff’s season debut went so well in week four, he’s been on the field on defense about 25% of the time. Don’t see them trading that away during the season, especially when they control his rights next year, too. 

JD smelling the playoffs in the air. No Breece, No AVT. 5-2. Pats just humiliated by Da Bears, at home no less. Get some bargain basement players at the Dollar store for 4/5/6/7 draft picks. Next year we’ll be stocked on the OL with considerable depth. And we have gap to acquire some quality FA’s. Important this year to keep the rebuild and spirit of the team moving forward. Progress Progress Progress Carry On!

35 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I have no idea if Becton's IR status affects their ability to trade him. That's a question for @Sperm Edwards.

I also have no idea if he'd even have any trade value to another team. As a Jets fan, I'm a little biased, so while I, personally, wouldn't give up any assets to acquire Becton, it's possible other GM's may look at a 23 year old OT, former #11OA pick, with a massive frame and potential for physical dominance and think he just needs a new start with the right guidance. Personally, I've already written Becton off as done in NY. He's a swing tackle, at best, but I'd prefer if they could recoup something for him.

I wouldn't think Brown would have much value to the Browns either, at his age. He's not a building piece, and he'd likely only be a rental for them. Throwing him in with the trade package would merely be a "sweetener" or as a favor to Brown so that he can continue to play, if he wanted, and was unwilling to switch to RT.

Tbh, my memory of Mitchell's play is kinda hazy. I do remember he wasn't perfect, but looked very promising at times. It's possible they don't want him starting right away and want him to develop (like we all assumed he'd need) which would give Conklin more value as a 1-2 year stop gap at RT until Max is ready.

None of this matter though, as this thread was based merely off unsubstantiated Twitter rumors, apparently. That's what I get for trying to make serious posts, lol.

As I just said above, his trade value wouldn't be much until they find a team - a good team - who's suddenly so desperate they'll risk him getting injured any week because the alternative is putting their own McDermott/Edoga out there for the rest of the season.

Also yes they can trade him while injured. The other team acquiring him would be aware of the risk.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, I was referring to Huff. Hall has been on the trade block all year. Since Huff’s season debut went so well in week four, he’s been on the field on defense about 25% of the time. Don’t see them trading that away during the season, especially when they control his rights next year, too. 

Agreed, I don't see them getting rid of Huff either, nor would I want them to.

5 hours ago, LockeJET said:

It will be within reason that’s for sure but you have to be thinking playoffs right now. Even if we went five and five over the next 10 that puts us at 10-7 and probably one of the wild cards. 

As of now, that would seem to set the bar at beating Pats (x2), Bears, Lions, and Jaguars.

Last night proved anything can happen in any given game, but at least it shows us where JD has to feel we can surpass.  Until then, he needs to keep making moves, even if he has to sacrifice future assets to get there . . .

Becton cannot be traded.

Players on the IR can only be traded if they were placed on the IR AFTER the final cut-downs to the 53 man active roster.

This year that date was August 30th. Becton was placed on the IR August 16th. He is not allowed to be traded.

--

It is a necessary rule. Imagine a team trying to exploit the loop hole and hold onto a trade asset without affecting the 53 man roster. Jimmy Garappolo asked for trade in camp, they coulda put him on IR for something minor while they figure out the rest of the team and trade him later for example. That would be cheating

17 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Becton cannot be traded.

Players on the IR can only be traded if they were placed on the IR AFTER the final cut-downs to the 53 man active roster.

This year that date was August 30th. Becton was placed on the IR August 16th. He is not allowed to be traded.

--

It is a necessary rule. Imagine a team trying to exploit the loop hole and hold onto a trade asset without affecting the 53 man roster. Jimmy Garappolo asked for trade in camp, they coulda put him on IR for something minor while they figure out the rest of the team and trade him later for example. That would be cheating

I took it to mean he was asking if he could be traded next year (March). Didn't occur to me he might be asking about 2022. 

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Plus there’d be no rush to make a decision on 2023 until after the draft, and even after seeing some camp results of any draft pick’s play. Even if kept, they may feel it’s better to go into ‘23 with an $18MM 29yr old Tunsil than a $10MM 38 yr old D.Brown.

The thing with Tunsil, though, is he’s not getting acquired for some conditional day 3 pick or a benched CB. He’d cost the team’s 1st next year, give or take, especially seeing how it looks like it won’t be another typical Jets’ top 10 pick. It wasn’t too long ago Tunsil cost two 1sts, and that was without 1.5 below-market contract seasons remaining. 

Well, it it will take a first round pick, we might be better off packaging something to move up in the first. Maybe Moore or Berrios. They basically play the same position now. 

8 hours ago, BCJet said:

So tunsil is a good player on an expiring deal whose team is rebuilding - totally understand all that.  However our LT is playing well and we have 2 potential RTs coming back from injury (although it doesnt seem like fant is close).  Could it be more of a swap of Fant for Tunsil and Fant can play the last 6-7 games for Houston when he is healthy vs us getting tunsil back for the upcoming stretch?

Conklin makes sense for the Jets, but why exactly would the browns be sellers?

Because by the time Watson comes back the Browns will be fully out of the playoff race.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Well, it it will take a first round pick, we might be better off packaging something to move up in the first. Maybe Moore or Berrios. They basically play the same position now. 

I'm not following. Give them a first and also give them Moore or Berrios?

Or do you mean trade our 1st for Tunsil, then in the spring trade Moore or Berrios to move up from round 2 to round 1? I don't think Berrios has that type of trade value. Moore could have that, but it'd depend where our original pick starts and what pick are we trading up to acquire.

If his recent indiscretion is just a one-off due to immaturity, we might be better off with him and our 2nd than a 1st. But then I'm also of the opinion that Davis-Wilson-Berrios with legit starting TEs (even if none are dynamic Pitts-lite types) is good enough. Yeah it'd leave us thinner, but I don't like the idea of valuing a 2nd rounder for a year of improved/added depth.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not following. Give them a first and also give them Moore or Berrios?

Or do you mean trade our 1st for Tunsil, then in the spring trade Moore or Berrios to move up from round 2 to round 1? I don't think Berrios has that type of trade value. Moore could have that, but it'd depend where our original pick starts and what pick are we trading up to acquire.

If his recent indiscretion is just a one-off due to immaturity, we might be better off with him and our 2nd than a 1st. But then I'm also of the opinion that Davis-Wilson-Berrios with legit starting TEs (even if none are dynamic Pitts-lite types) is good enough. Yeah it'd leave us thinner, but I don't like the idea of valuing a 2nd rounder for a year of improved/added depth.

What I meant was Tunsil will be 30 soon. Maybe he has a good 4 years left, possibly more but I think we would be better off maybe packaging a picks/players to swap firsts in order to get a young prospect in the first who would be on a rookie deal and we could resign at Tunsil money later. I do like the idea of trading Moore as well for a high pick but I don't think that is likely.  

• Upvote 1

Not trading high picks for either of them. Within two years with lots of high picks the roster has been transformed quite a bit, and there is no reason to stop that trend by trading high picks for older players who's current team doesn't want. Mid to late picks at best. Maybe a certain 'me guy', but they'd need to send a pick back with either tackle for the runt.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BCJet said:

So tunsil is a good player on an expiring deal whose team is rebuilding - totally understand all that.  However our LT is playing well and we have 2 potential RTs coming back from injury (although it doesnt seem like fant is close).  Could it be more of a swap of Fant for Tunsil and Fant can play the last 6-7 games for Houston when he is healthy vs us getting tunsil back for the upcoming stretch?

Conklin makes sense for the Jets, but why exactly would the browns be sellers?

Browns would be sellers because they gave up a ton of picks to get Watson and Cooper and when Watson can play, will be out of it. 

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What I meant was Tunsil will be 30 soon. Maybe he has a good 4 years left, possibly more but I think we would be better off maybe packaging a picks/players to swap firsts in order to get a young prospect in the first who would be on a rookie deal and we could resign at Tunsil money later. I do like the idea of trading Moore as well for a high pick but I don't think that is likely.  

Tonsil just turned 28 in August so its almost 2 full years before he turns 30. I personally think we can get by with what we have for the rest of this season if Fant and Mitchell are close to returning without giving up future #1’s. 

conklin and tunsil are pretty similar.  either would give the jets a solid tackle for the next 5 seasons.  they both have stayed pretty healthy.  tunsil is probably a better left tackle and is maybe the better fit if becton and/or fant come back.  it all comes down to how the contract plays out and what the texans or browns want.