Schefter: Laremy Tunsil and Jack Conklin potential trade targets for Jets

Rhg1084

I am never right when it comes to Jets but I think JD is done trading.  Whoever they trade for would have to be familiar with the zone blocking scheme and I doubt either of those 2 are plug and play when it comes to that,  So they would sit at least for a game or so, so they could learn the playbook and with Fant and Max coming off IR soon doesn't seem like a good move right now.  I also thought Bryce would be a gonner by now but with JD trade for a Robinson, I think he holds onto Bryce in case of injury.  Bryce is the best back up for Sauce if he gets hurt as I am not sold on Echols being a #1.

I also suspect Max back before Fant, I saw pictures him walking around weeks ago.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joejet said:

Tonsil just turned 28 in August so its almost 2 full years before he turns 30. I personally think we can get by with what we have for the rest of this season if Fant and Mitchell are close to returning without giving up future #1’s. 

Ok, I thought I saw that he was 29. In any case, we can't  rely  on Fant not getting injured again. I believe  this is the same knee he hurt last season and Mitchell is nor a starter. He might be in a uear or two but the one game he didn't  have AVT helping him (Steelers) he was terrible. 

15 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Mims has pretty much zero trade value. 

Just to be clear: We are talking about a GM who traded Blake Cashman for a draft pick.  BLAKE CASHMAN.

Joe Douglas might get a 1st for Denzel Mims AND make the team pay for the plane ticket.  And the hotel.  And the cost to take his name plate off the locker. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, GreenFish said:

All depends on the price. Could involve Mims or Bryce Hall.

JD is a versatile GM. We are in a different phase of the rebuild and he has adjusted accordingly.

If only Zach can figure it out. We have the right GM and coaching staff. 

I agree with this as he is adjusting on the fly. It's like wrapping Christmas presents the night before Christmas~

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is inaccurate.  Yes, you won't find a better LT in round 2, but whatever tackle you find in round 2 won't cost $18M plus and will be under contract through the end of the 2026 season.  You will probably have to pay Tunsil to make him want to stick around.  I am not saying that he's not worth it, just that the 6 year comment is predicated on him signing a contract he might not want to sign.  Also, they aren't cutting Becton.  I don't think it makes any sense.  His contract is guaranteed.  Are you trying to save a roster spot?  Just keep him around.  If he plays fine.  If he doesn't, you didn't lose anything.

I just meant that he’s only 28. He can still play at a high level for atleast another 6 years. Yea you would have to resign him but if your going to hand out big money to any position on the line it should be at LT. Brown has been good but he’s not a long term solution. Tunsil gives you a long term solution. 

If you want to hang on to Becton for depth I guess why not. I just don’t see him contributing in any meaningful way. He can’t be relied upon.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I just meant that he’s only 28. He can still play at a high level for atleast another 6 years. Yea you would have to resign him but if your going to hand out big money to any position on the line it should be at LT. Brown has been good but he’s not a long term solution. Tunsil gives you a long term solution. 

If you want to hang on to Becton for depth I guess why not. I just don’t see him contributing in any meaningful way. He can’t be relied upon.

When the 49ers traded for Trent Williams from Washington he was going on 32 years old for the 2020 season. Laremy Tunsil is only 28 years old and as you said a long term solution. Do you trade Becton? 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I am never right when it comes to Jets but I think JD is done trading.  Whoever they trade for would have to be familiar with the zone blocking scheme and I doubt either of those 2 are plug and play when it comes to that,  So they would sit at least for a game or so, so they could learn the playbook and with Fant and Max coming off IR soon doesn't seem like a good move right now.  I also thought Bryce would be a gonner by now but with JD trade for a Robinson, I think he holds onto Bryce in case of injury.  Bryce is the best back up for Sauce if he gets hurt as I am not sold on Echols being a #1.

I also suspect Max back before Fant, I saw pictures him walking around weeks ago.

Maybe, but week after week we’re starting OL that are also new to the roster and/or swapping spots… I’d prefer to do that with a stud rather than a practice squad guy.

17 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

When the 49ers traded for Trent Williams from Washington he was going on 32 years old for the 2020 season. Laremy Tunsil is only 28 years old and as you said a long term solution. Do you trade Becton? 

Who cares?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I think if u can get tunsil for a 2nd rd pick you do it. Your not going to find a better LT in rd 2. By doing this you solidify the LT position for the next 6 years. Then u can let fant walk and cut Becton at end of season. 

Cut becton? Fat boy would be solid depth on rookie coin. 

• Upvote 2

Expensive but talented guys on bad/rebuilding football teams.  That's who you try to target.

If I'm the Jets I'd prefer to potentially include a player rather than a high/mid round draft pick in any trade for an OLineman.  Maybe a depth WR like Mims or one of the defensive linemen (deepest position on the team).

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Cut becton? Fat boy would be solid depth on rookie coin. 

You can definitely keep him as depth, I just find it hard to rely on him. He will show up out of shape or get injured. Or both.
Plus He’s missed 2 years in a row now. That’s a lot of time not playing football. I doubt he will ever amount to anything at this point. if you can trade him for anything I’d prefer to go that route

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Expensive but talented guys on bad/rebuilding football teams.  That's who you try to target.

If I'm the Jets I'd prefer to potentially include a player rather than a high/mid round draft pick in any trade for an OLineman.  Maybe a depth WR like Mims or one of the defensive linemen (deepest position on the team).

Lol. No one wants mims. Apparently before the season when he asked for a trade the jets asking price was a 4th. As you can see no one paid that price. I’m sure if someone offered a 5th JD probably would have taken it. Mims is worth a 7th rd conditional pick at this point. 

19 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just to be clear: We are talking about a GM who traded Blake Cashman for a draft pick.  BLAKE CASHMAN.

Joe Douglas might get a 1st for Denzel Mims AND make the team pay for the plane ticket.  And the hotel.  And the cost to take his name plate off the locker. 

So for Douglas to move Ashtyn we would have to give up picks as well. Got it. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Maybe, but week after week we’re starting OL that are also new to the roster and/or swapping spots… I’d prefer to do that with a stud rather than a practice squad guy.

yeah maybe but really wasnt saying what a want to happen just what I think will happen.  I'd luv for JD to get a 2nd rounder for Bryce and somehow get one of the tackles for peanuts but you know.

• Upvote 1